AT&T announces time for iPhone MMS availability Friday

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 131
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandricard View Post

I must say, I do share this sick fantasy, especially the executives crying. I plan to send all sorts of pictures of my cat on Friday.

....if only to free me up to move to VZ!

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

It will crash- we will succeed!
  • Reply 122 of 131
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I never denied anything. I posted a question- I didn't know . I was busy at work. You never showed me anything . Dream on.

I'm still waiting for you to explain why a SMS message is faster than an email if not because of their server differences. YOu have still failed to answer this question.

I'll attempt to answer that for you. Yes email is faster than SMS. If I email my associate who uses the same imap server as me the message is sent in milleseconds as opposed to if I send her a txt both iPhones on AT&T it takes a few seconds. Sure you might argue that Verizon may be faster, but how much faster that one millesecond do you need? Email IS faster in my experience.
  • Reply 123 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I never denied anything. I posted a question- I didn't know . I was busy at work. You never showed me anything . Dream on.

I'm still waiting for you to explain why a SMS message is faster than an email if not because of their server differences. YOu have still failed to answer this question.

You read the link.

SMS's are smaller because, among other things, a far simpler, and smaller header.

Where did I say they were faster?
  • Reply 124 of 131
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    There's this article about MMS, and AT&T's possible, (or not) problems.

It seems that those of us who have been saying the MMS isn't popular are right. And one likely reason why Apple didn't rush into it (other than the user complexity).

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...s_network.html
  • Reply 125 of 131
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

There's this article about MMS, and AT&T's possible, (or not) problems.

It seems that those of us who have been saying the MMS isn't popular are right. And one likely reason why Apple didn't rush into it (other than the user complexity).

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...s_network.html

Do you understand and know what HYPE is? H.Y.P.E.

For christ sake this place is like a day care center. People actually believing that this unbelievably unpopular feature, (the launch of which AT&T is loudly advertising) is a worry to AT&T in regard to their network? No. They hope it is, however.

"We're sooo worried *wink* *wink*, we don't know whats going to happen when everyone starts using MMS like crazy on September 25th, you know, the day we're launching the feature."

Most iPhone owners could care less. The rest would have no idea except for AT&T's loud mouth.

AT&T is hoping that, for no better reason than their hype and advertising, MMS will spur a revenue stream, with more people opting to bump up their plans to 1500 or unlimited options.
  • Reply 126 of 131
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mandricard View Post

I must say, I do share this sick fantasy, especially the executives crying. I plan to send all sorts of pictures of my cat on Friday.

....if only to free me up to move to VZ!

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider

So far, it looks just "regular meltdown" instead of previously stated fantasy. Maybe when East Coast rush hour hits, it will begin. I want to see people throwing their phones out of cars, cursing AT&T to the high heavens, etc. Oh, the humanity.
  • Reply 127 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

AT&T is hoping that, for no better reason than their hype and advertising, MMS will spur a revenue stream, with more people opting to bump up their plans to 1500 or unlimited options.

Totally agree!

Those complaining about the lack of MMS on the iPhone were not iPhone proponents; they were mostly people in the tech industry looking for a chink in the iPhone armor. I recently read a report that showed MMS to be statistically insignificant as a feature. Companies were not pushing the feature for lack of a viable revenue stream and customers didn't see the point. AT&T would love to see the iPhone resurrect this dead technology. Unfortunately, it might just happen. The worst thing in the world for mobile technology would be for this MMS initiative to actually succeed.
  • Reply 128 of 131
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I just got notification of MMS support, though interestingly, they didn't bother showcasing it by actually sending an image. Marketing opportunity lost, but that's fine with me.

I really don't expect to use MMS. I don't have an SMS plan, so MMS will be $0.30 each for me. Unless it absolutely has to be there *right now* or as soon as possible, sending a photo or video by email is the way to go, iPhone users are already paying for web/email data anyway.
  • Reply 129 of 131
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I got the same message. That's a good point, AT&T could have sent a pic/video to demonstrate how the service works. But a further example of how poor AT&T is at handling its PR image.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I just got notification of MMS support, though interestingly, they didn't bother showcasing it by actually sending an image. Marketing opportunity lost, but that's fine with me.

I really don't expect to use MMS. I don't have an SMS plan, so MMS will be $0.30 each for me. Unless it absolutely has to be there *right now* or as soon as possible, sending a photo or video by email is the way to go, iPhone users are already paying for web/email data anyway.

• Reply 130 of 131
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

So far, it looks just "regular meltdown" instead of previously stated fantasy. Maybe when East Coast rush hour hits, it will begin. I want to see people throwing their phones out of cars, cursing AT&T to the high heavens, etc. Oh, the humanity.

I was in midtown manhattan at lunchtime today and couldn't make a call on my phone. Had "No Service" and then 4 bars, but still, no texting, no calling, no nothing.

Meltdown or not, ATT is simply AWFUL.

Hope Springs Eternal, but I certainly am cursing ATT these days.

Mandricard

AppleOutsider