How do I get rid of this mobile/iPhone-optimized Apple Insider in Safari?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
No offense to the developers, but I'd rather have my regular Apple Insider thank you. I see no option to go back to the "regular" view that I see on my laptop.

I just can't stand it when sites are dumbed down for the iPhone when it's supposed to be "the full internet" in your pocket.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Just click on the story you want to see and it'll go to the regular page. The interface is only 1 page deep (for now).
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Just click on the story you want to see and it'll go to the regular page. The interface is only 1 page deep (for now).

Not for me. I still get the dumbed down interface -- ie., no links to the forums, FAQ, or the running Apple Stock ticker at the top, etc.

The only way to get out of it and to get to a "normal" page is to click on the comments tab near the bottom which takes you to the regular forums pages. But clicking on an Apple Insider main site article from there takes you back to the mobile version.

GRRR!!!!

• Reply 3 of 17
    Well, I hadn't noticed that... anyway, I wish they'd simply offer an AppleInsider reader app instead with options to view as compact or normal. I don't like 99% of mobile web page layouts either.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well, I hadn't noticed that... anyway, I wish they'd simply offer an AppleInsider reader app instead with options to view as compact or normal. I don't like 99% of mobile web page layouts either.

Yeah, forcing this on us is wrong... TUAW pulled the same stuff
  • Reply 5 of 17
    I hope this is only temporary. The last people I would have thought that would subject us to this is ai.

An app would have been better. The Huffpo app I only use when I'm on a slow network and am in a hurry, which is similar to this. But at least with that I have a choice whether to use it or not.

I emailed ai to tell them I don't want only the iPhone version. It runs counter to why I bought the iPhone.

I also hope if they do add in the full site option that it can be bookmarked and get you straight to the site instead of having to load it twice.

Why haven't ai even mentioned what's going on? I would have hoped they'd understand that there's a lot of anxious iPhone users on their site right now.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Save this address in your favorite. I have never seen the iPhone version.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Save this address in your favorite. I have never seen the iPhone version.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/

We're talking about the main site.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Had to sign up just to complain about this. I guess I'll find another site to get my apple news from untill this gets fixed.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    When I enter www.appleinsider.com in iPhone's Safari, I get the regular site. What is the problem here?

That being said, I think the mobile site is looking good, but, you can also use the RSS feed in mobile Safari, which is what I use.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

When I enter www.appleinsider.com in iPhone's Safari, I get the regular site. What is the problem here?

That being said, I think the mobile site is looking good, but, you can also use the RSS feed in mobile Safari, which is what I use.

It's working now, but obviously it wasn't yesterday when this was posted

Yesterday, www.appleinsider.com was forcefully redirecting users to iphone.appleinsider.com
  • Reply 11 of 17
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Not for me. I still get the dumbed down interface -- ie., no links to the forums, FAQ, or the running Apple Stock ticker at the top, etc.

The only way to get out of it and to get to a "normal" page is to click on the comments tab near the bottom which takes you to the regular forums pages. But clicking on an Apple Insider main site article from there takes you back to the mobile version.

GRRR!!!!

Oh god is that what it looks like? I haven't even seen it yet. Good god.

How do you end up with this? The developer had to sit down, look at the page and say, "How could I take a really easy to read/use website, and it make it absolutely miserable on the iPhone?

Wait for it...

wait for it........

*Snaps fingers* Block 50% more of the screen with worthless overlays!

what a joke
  • Reply 12 of 17
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    They did ask for our help with the mobile version. I guess you guys weren't available then. Typical.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=91666
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

They did ask for our help with the mobile version. I guess you guys weren't available then. Typical.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=91666

Didn't you hear?... "Good advice comes at a price, but criticism is always free"... (and plentiful, to boot).
  • Reply 14 of 17
    good thing its back to normal. Mobile sites suck. I dont have a phone with a full web browser so I can view mobile sites
  • Reply 15 of 17
    The main problem I have is those floating overlays that appear when you're done scrolling. It bugs the hell out of me. If they were stationary at the top of the page I wouldn't have an issue.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by payeco View Post

The main problem I have is those floating overlays that appear when you're done scrolling. It bugs the hell out of me. If they were stationary at the top of the page I wouldn't have an issue.

Ditto
  • Reply 17 of 17
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Why doesn't AI make an app for their site, just like Reddit did? I'm sure Apple would approve it right away!