iPhone accessories can prompt automatic App Store downloads

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
At least one third-party iPhone and iPod touch hardware accessory now reportedly takes advantage of the 3.0 software connectivity with automatic App Store download prompts.

One of the first accessories to sport the new feature is the new iTrip with App Support from Griffin Technology. First discovered by iLounge, the new capability automatically informs users that the necessary application is not installed on the iPhone or iPod touch. It then offers to connect to the App Store and automatically download the software, with the user's permission.

"Upon acceptance, the iPhone or iPod touch then takes users to a new 'For This Accessory' page on the App Store, with a direct link to the necessary app?s listing, from which they can download and install the application," the report said.

At Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June, Apple highlighted a number of third-party applications that take advantage of iPhone OS 3.0 to connect with external hardware. Among those highlighted was the TomTom Car Kit, which features an external GPS receiver that boosts reception. The hardware, which will be released in October for $120, will work with the separate TomTom app and be compatible with the iPhone 2G, 3G and 3GS.

Other demonstrated connectivity included AirStrip CC, a medical accessory that can take live sensor data and make it available over the Internet, and guitar amp controls from Line 6/Planet Waves.

This week,ZipCar released its new application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Also demonstrated at WWDC, the software uses the location of the phone to provide local search for common transactions, like reserving cars and viewing, extending or canceling reservations. Connected vehicles can also be unlocked or the horn can be honked remotely to help users find their vehicle. The car-sharing service is available in various U.S. cities and universities.

In June, Belkin introduced one of the first 3.0 compatible accessories for the iPhone and iPod touch. The TuneCast Auto Live FM transmitter works with an accompanying ClearScan Live application to allow users to control which FM station to transmit through. It also uses the GPS capability of the iPhone to locate unused stations in the area.

But previously, connecting hardware did not automatically prompt users to download software from the App Store. The new accessory from Griffin is the first reported to do so.

Screenshot courtesy iLounge

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Personally I'd like the option to switch this off. I'd prefer a prompt to do a manual check once a week for example.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Personally I'd like the option to switch this off. I'd prefer a prompt to do a manual check once a week for example.

..... What kind of response is this?

Do you set your e-mail to check once a week too?
  • Reply 3 of 23
    The iPhone makes a Crackberry look like something from 1999.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Did you even understand what this is ?

You connect a NEW device and it tells you "oh, hey mate you might need THIS to use your device"

There is no weekly/monthly/daily/hourly check of any kind....
  • Reply 5 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

The iPhone makes a Crackberry look like something from 1999.

Only a matter of time before the iPhone overtakes it.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    Is anyone else amazed at how many iPhone screen shots on the web show unread message counts in the hundreds?
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

Is anyone else amazed at how many iPhone screen shots on the web show unread message counts in the hundreds?

Jeez Casper check your email once in awhile, like maybe more than once a month.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Then you find out the app cost $1000 Muuhahaha!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

They're simply trying to impress people, using it as a metric to show how popular they are.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    I'm really surprised there aren't more hardware accessories already available for the iPhone. I can think of lots of things that would be cool for it, but none are available. If I knew how to make, market and distribute some of those ideas, I could probably make some good money.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Only a matter of time before the iPhone overtakes it.

not until it's exclusive to one carrier in almost every country.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They're simply trying to impress people, using it as a metric to show how popular they are.

or they just have a bad spam filter.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

I'm really surprised there aren't more hardware accessories already available for the iPhone. I can think of lots of things that would be cool for it, but none are available. If I knew how to make, market and distribute some of those ideas, I could probably make some good money.

Unfortunately it doesn't just take knowledge to do this, it takes a lot of money too. Like the old one goes: you need money to make money. Sadly true, for the most part.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    In the screenshot... is that a double space after a period? *facepalm*
  • Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thespaz View Post

In the screenshot... is that a double space after a period? *facepalm*

That's a fairly standard practice in typing, particularly for essays and businesses.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Actually AI emails him every time NVF posts
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

But in fact they are only revealing how lazy they are by not reading their emails.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    I think this provides some clues as to whether or not the TomTom dock is going to be usable w/o buying the app (the answer would be no...). The link to 'apps for this device' though makes me wonder what kind of devices could be put out there that allow anyone to code for them. Blood glucose reader that allows you to use the app of your choice to keep records/etc?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Then you find out the app cost $1000 Muuhahaha!!!!

I was wondering if the notification is for free apps only. I would hate to buy an accessory and then have to buy the app to use it. Maybe Apple should have a hidden category for this type of apps that you can only access through this hardware connected feature.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I was wondering if the notification is for free apps only. I would hate to buy an accessory and then have to buy the app to use it. Maybe Apple should have a hidden category for this type of apps that you can only access through this hardware connected feature.

Assuming the software is not free to begin with, hopefully when someone buys a piece of hardware it states on the packaging that a piece of software is required and the buyer reads and understands that.

And if the hardware requires the software, but the user doesn't want to buy the software, then he'll be returning the hardware anyway.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

That's a fairly standard practice in typing, particularly for essays and businesses.

Whether you do that or not should be determined by the font used. Two spaces between sentences is appropriate when using a fixed-width/monospaced font. When using a variable-width font there should be only one space between sentences.