Latest Palm Pre update does not re-enable iTunes sync

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Palm released its latest update for the Pre handset this week, and the new software does not re-enable sync with iTunes -- perhaps a sign that the hardware maker has given up in its fight with Apple.

Palm released webOS 1.2 this week, bringing a variety of updates, including access to the Amazon MP3 Store, the ability to download files in the Web browser, and filtering of e-mails by search. But the most surprising news isn't what's included -- it's what's been omitted.

Given the back-and-forth battle between Apple and Palm, many expected that the latest webOS update would re-enable the device to sync with iTunes. Earlier this month, the release of iTunes 9 disabled Palm Pre sync.

But last week, the USB Implementers Forum sided with Apple in a dispute over iTunes sync capabilities. Though Palm initially petitioned the forum in hopes that it would side with them, the group told Palm that the Pre's alleged use of Apple's vendor ID violates its rules.

The forum went on to say that Apple is within the rules of the USB-IF to limit iTunes syncing to proprietary hardware like the iPhone and iPod via use of the USB vendor ID. Apple's blocking out of hardware like the Palm Pre, the forum said, is not "improper."

The USB-IF is a non-profit organization that supports the Universal Serial Bus and sets the standards for the hardware input. Unique vendor IDs are necessary for developing USB products.

Last week, Palm said it intends to respond to the USB-IF, noting that it believes consumers should have "freedom and choice" when transferring media to personal devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 79
    OH WELL. Looks like people will need to master the art of DRAG AND DROP.

This is such a stupid dispute in my eyes that I don't even care enough to pick who's right. If I HAD to, I'd say they both are right and both are wrong. In the end, it's Apple's software, and whether its right or not, if they want to block the pre, what can palm really do.

It just sucks that Apple feels the need to alienate pre owners, but it especially sucks that palm didn't come up with a better solution for their customers other than "tricking" itunes.

One big circle jerk of lunacy.
  • Reply 2 of 79
    Cue the Class Action Lawsuit for selling the Pre with the bullet-point promise of iTunes sync in 3.... 2.... 1....
  • Reply 3 of 79
    Does the Pre not come with its own software that allows you to load music, or can you not use Windows Media Player to sync your music to it?
  • Reply 4 of 79
    "Last week, Palm said it intends to respond to the USB-IF, noting that it believes consumers should have "freedom and choice" when transferring media to personal devices."

Undeniable truth: Palm has the right to eat as much food as they want from their (own) company refrigerator in order to stay alive. They do NOT have the right to take food from someone else's box to effect the same result. Period.

Want to survive and thrive, Palm? DEVELOP YOUR OWN DAMNED "IPRE" STORE! Spend the money! Be loud and proud! Don't expect/demand others to throw you scraps from their tables. You know how to do it. RIM certainly does. Copy THEM, OK? (Sheesh.)
  • Reply 5 of 79
    @ chronster

"It just sucks that Apple feels the need to alienate pre owners . . . ."

Uh, perhaps it's just me, but why would Apple give a rat's ass what any Pre owner thinks? Didn't that person already "alienate" Apple by purchasing an iPhone competitor, a truly inferior one that does not possess a legitimate iTunes option? Do you REALLY believe that any company should go out of its way to "be nice" to a competitor by enabling its bottom line in this fashion? Such is not the way of the business world I live in. Is it in yours?
  • Reply 6 of 79
    Wow lol - palm pre coming to the uk soon (woot woot) and REALLY want itunes sync - theres gonna be some hack to re-emable it anyway
  • Reply 7 of 79
    Aww... poor Palm, develop your own software as I'm sure you have anticipated the free lunch off your former employers software would end one day.

Perhaps it ended to fast eh?
  • Reply 8 of 79
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Whole thing was a publicity stunt?
  • Reply 9 of 79
    Palm got bitch-slapped by USB-IF.

"Now shut up and color!!!"
  • Reply 10 of 79
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Whole thing was a publicity stunt?

Exactly. Notice how Palm does the stunts just when Apple is about to released or announce new products.
  • Reply 11 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

But the most surprising news isn't what's included -- it's what's been omitted.

By using the word omitted, you make it seem like Palm willingly witheld the ability to sync with iTunes 9. The truth could really be that Palm hasn't figure out how to re-enable the feature.

Palm also has bigger concerns to worry about than keeping a minor feature such as iTunes syncing... like staying out of bankruptcy.
  • Reply 12 of 79
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

By using the word omitted, you make it seem like Palm willingly witheld the ability to sync with iTunes 9.

Huh?

The mention of the "iTunes syncing feature" was "omitted" or left out. It was specifically mentioned before and regardless of the reason for not mentioning, it now is irrelevant since it cannot sync.
  • Reply 13 of 79
    Palm is absolutely right: users should have the "freedom and choice" to transfer media to their device...

... but with the appropriate (i.e. your own) software! That doesn't mean you can hijack a competitors software for your own uses.
  • Reply 14 of 79
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caljomac View Post

Wow lol - palm pre coming to the uk soon (woot woot) and REALLY want itunes sync - theres gonna be some hack to re-emable it anyway

yeah its called 'Get an iPhone'
  • Reply 15 of 79
    Doesn't Apple give access to vendors to access the XML library file? If so, then Palm should use that. I think RIM works via that method.
  • Reply 16 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juro994 View Post

Snipped

What the.....?
  • Reply 17 of 79
    I wonder if Palm has even asked Apple if their phone could be allowed to legitimately sync with iTunes.

BTW, Palm's website still says "Plus, use the Palm media sync feature to transfer your DRM-free iTunes music, videos, and photos to your Pre.". It does have tiny print at the bottom of the page saying it works with iTunes 8.2 and not guaranteed to work with updated versions. You would think they would remove this claim though, as it does imply some level of legitimate interaction between the two products.
  • Reply 18 of 79
    Some third party software will come out to make it happen. Like markspace did for the original Palm and Trio products, their sync product was far better then what Apple of Palm ever did.

The only reason apple is being pissy about it is due to the fact the people doing this are x-apple employees.
  • Reply 19 of 79
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndreH View Post

I wonder if Palm has even asked Apple if their phone could be allowed to legitimately sync with iTunes.

BTW, Palm's website still says "Plus, use the Palm media sync feature to transfer your DRM-free iTunes music, videos, and photos to your Pre.". It does have tiny print at the bottom of the page saying it works with iTunes 8.2 and not guaranteed to work with updated versions. You would think they would remove this claim though, as it does imply some level of legitimate interaction between the two products.

i say everyone go buy a Pre and then return it for this reason
  • Reply 20 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Cue the Class Action Lawsuit for selling the Pre with the bullet-point promise of iTunes sync in 3.... 2.... 1....

Good call.