Latest Palm Pre update does not re-enable iTunes sync

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juro994 View Post

[CENTER]Want a Free iPhone 3GS? Join me at Xpango and find out how --- [/CENTER]

Whatever happened to offering us, the users, a way to flag this trash and get these guys knocked off the boards quicker?
  • Reply 22 of 79
    How missing sync can come up with full syncing solution but Palm Can't? If you buy Missing Sync for the Palm Pre.. You can sync photos, music, contacts, addresses and the whole nine yards. Why can't palm just do this?
  • Reply 23 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i say everyone go buy a Pre and then return it for this reason

I'd do it for the laughs, but I can't stomach the thought of supporting Palm even for 5 minutes.
  • Reply 24 of 79
    Why cant the palm pre owners use windows media player to manage their media with the palm phone?
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Whatever happened to offering us, the users, a way to flag this trash and get these guys knocked off the boards quicker?

because teckstud would be the first one to go?

j/k j/k love ya you big troll you
  • Reply 26 of 79
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

OH WELL. Looks like people will need to master the art of DRAG AND DROP.

This is such a stupid dispute in my eyes that I don't even care enough to pick who's right. If I HAD to, I'd say they both are right and both are wrong. In the end, it's Apple's software, and whether its right or not, if they want to block the pre, what can palm really do.

It just sucks that Apple feels the need to alienate pre owners, but it especially sucks that palm didn't come up with a better solution for their customers other than "tricking" itunes.

One big circle jerk of lunacy.

I'm still unsure of why people think that Apple should pay for the development of software (iTunes) which helps Palm sell Pres without Palm giving them anything in return?
  • Reply 27 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

I'm still unsure of why people think that Apple should pay for the development of software (iTunes) which helps Palm sell Pres without Palm giving them anything in return?

Because, in that geek-y, utopian world of open standards, zero-cost hardware/software, and smooth and complete interoperability, companies should provide it all for free -- heck, they might even want to pay us to use their products! -- arising from the goodness of their hearts and sheer magnanimity!
  • Reply 28 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juro994 View Post

[B][COLOR="black"][CENTER][SIZE="7"]Want a ....dumbass link thingy with huge text

Get out of here spammer, you jackass. No one likes that crap.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

because teckstud would be the first one to go?

You rang?
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The only reason apple is being pissy about it is due to the fact the people doing this are x-apple employees.

Probably because they were in a non-compete clause to boot. I can see why Apple could be a bit pissed about the whole thing.

On the other hand, I am wondering why Apple would have you believe that plugging in anything usb "just works."

I guess I can see both sides, and each one makes it hard to see the other side of the argument. People who are totally against AT&T wouldn't want an iPhone, and still may own their Macs. This would bother those people I'm sure. However, being told by Palm it would work would really have me pissed at them, if I bought a Pre. I used to own a Treo back in the day, so I already don't like them for that
  • Reply 31 of 79
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Pre to iTunes : "I wish I could quit you!"
  • Reply 32 of 79
    iTunes to Pre:

• Reply 33 of 79
    Palm should try to act professionally and make their own software. That at least would get me to consider giving the Pre/Pixi a chance because they are both quite nice pieces of kit.
  • Reply 34 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

@ chronster

"It just sucks that Apple feels the need to alienate pre owners . . . ."

Uh, perhaps it's just me, but why would Apple give a rat's ass what any Pre owner thinks? Didn't that person already "alienate" Apple by purchasing an iPhone competitor, a truly inferior one that does not possess a legitimate iTunes option? Do you REALLY believe that any company should go out of its way to "be nice" to a competitor by enabling its bottom line in this fashion? Such is not the way of the business world I live in. Is it in yours?

Yeah, I live in a different world than you LOL. Jeesh. Leave out the condescending rhetoric will you? Apple might just give a RATS ASS because they can still squeeze money out of them.

There are two was of thinking about this. One is your way, where the Apple technology ecosystem works together, but you need all of Apple's products for it to be effective, otherwise you're SOL. The other is simple: If they didn't sell product A, why cut potential customers off from product B? iTunes still makes money. Pre owners are still potential customers. Just because they didn't buy an iphone doesn't mean Apple can't still make money off them with mp3's and videos.

Now, I'm not saying what Apple did was wrong, I just see the potential in the other way. I don't blame Apple, but I don't respect their decision either.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Well I never said that's what they are obligated to do, just trying to point out there's still money to be made.

Look, if itunes compatibility is all it takes to push someone to an iphone, then they really weren't seriously considering the pre to begin with. There's so many more important features that differentiate the two that if someone decides to go with a Pre, more than likely they made their decision long before seeing itunes compatibility.

I'm trying to think of an analogy here, but this is kind of a unique thing to deal with for either company.

So in other words, I don't think iTunes compatibility sells more Pre's for Palm, but I do think it sells more mp3's for Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    Quote:

There are two was of thinking about this. One is your way, where the Apple technology ecosystem works together, but you need all of Apple's products for it to be effective, otherwise you're SOL. The other is simple: If they didn't sell product A, why cut potential customers off from product B? iTunes still makes money. Pre owners are still potential customers. Just because they didn't buy an iphone doesn't mean Apple can't still make money off them with mp3's and videos.

Why do you think Pre owners can't buy music and videos from iTunes?
  • Reply 36 of 79
    Quote:

OH WELL. Looks like people will need to master the art of DRAG AND DROP.

This is such a stupid dispute in my eyes that I don't even care enough to pick who's right. If I HAD to, I'd say they both are right and both are wrong. In the end, it's Apple's software, and whether its right or not, if they want to block the pre, what can palm really do.

It just sucks that Apple feels the need to alienate pre owners, but it especially sucks that palm didn't come up with a better solution for their customers other than "tricking" itunes.

One big circle jerk of lunacy.

Yeah.

You and the other Pre owner can go in the corner and cry me a river.

AND STOP JERKING THOSE THINGS!
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Not that I'm on the Pre's side... but why doesn't Apple allow the sync so that it can raise the counts of people using itunes for marketing and stuff. Also, I was wondering if you can put purchased music (from the itunes store) on the Pre, and if you can, it would generate a lot more sales too.
  • Reply 38 of 79
    Serves Palm right. Going about it the way they did, it serves them right. I should certainly hope Palm hasn't sought to re-enable syncing. As far as I'm conmcerned Apple should simply deny them any future license rights. Palm can go up in smoke tomorrow for all I care. Palm has turned into a mere shadow of its former self and all they have gotten better at is elevating "shady" to a whole new level.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    hey i am laughing at this, it isn't like other devices can't be synced with iTunes, but PALM kinda screwed up in how they are doing it.

If Palm really wants Palm and PALM PRE syncing to itunes. they ought to cut a deal with MARKSPACE for a basic version of MISSING SYNC and do a deal. anything else is just bad pr and silly.

I have been using it for my blackberry and it works great!, dunno what all the silliness is about.

http://www.markspace.com/products/pr...-overview.html
  • Reply 40 of 79
    Quote:

Yeah, I live in a different world than you LOL. Jeesh. Leave out the condescending rhetoric will you? Apple might just give a RATS ASS because they can still squeeze money out of them.

Now, I'm not saying what Apple did was wrong, I just see the potential in the other way. I don't blame Apple, but I don't respect their decision either.

Well I never said that's what they are obligated to do, just trying to point out there's still money to be made.

Look, if itunes compatibility is all it takes to push someone to an iphone, then they really weren't seriously considering the pre to begin with. There's so many more important features that differentiate the two that if someone decides to go with a Pre, more than likely they made their decision long before seeing itunes compatibility.

I'm trying to think of an analogy here, but this is kind of a unique thing to deal with for either company.

So in other words, I don't think iTunes compatibility sells more Pre's for Palm, but I do think it sells more mp3's for Apple.

Man, you sure can't help but flap you mouth-piece here.