MacBook Pro won't start

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a MacBook Pro that is approximately 2 years old. It has always worked fine without any issues at all.

Tonight I was installing some scanner software for a Fujitsu S300M scanner. After installing the software it asked me to reboot so I had reboot. At that time I came back a minute later to see just a black screen.

I then after a couple more minutes decided to hold down the power button and turn off the power since nothing was happening. I then pressed the button again and I saw the light turn on on the button that opens the screen but that is all. There was no startup chime, nothing. All I could hear is at the same time the light came on the optical drive makes it's noise that it makes at bootup.

I have tried repeatly to start the computer. I have pulled both the AC Power and Battery for several minutes with still no luck. As I said just the light comes on and the optical drive makes noise and that's it, no startup chime, nothing.

I don't think this should be related to scanner software and I'm assuming it was a coincidence that it happened then but any idea what could be causing this and can I fix it without a trip to the genius bar?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markw10 View Post

I have a MacBook Pro that is approximately 2 years old. It has always worked fine without any issues at all.

Tonight I was installing some scanner software for a Fujitsu S300M scanner. After installing the software it asked me to reboot so I had reboot. At that time I came back a minute later to see just a black screen.

I then after a couple more minutes decided to hold down the power button and turn off the power since nothing was happening. I then pressed the button again and I saw the light turn on on the button that opens the screen but that is all. There was no startup chime, nothing. All I could hear is at the same time the light came on the optical drive makes it's noise that it makes at bootup.

I have tried repeatly to start the computer. I have pulled both the AC Power and Battery for several minutes with still no luck. As I said just the light comes on and the optical drive makes noise and that's it, no startup chime, nothing.

I don't think this should be related to scanner software and I'm assuming it was a coincidence that it happened then but any idea what could be causing this and can I fix it without a trip to the genius bar?

Have u followed this yet to the letter?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365

If so, another thought is to hook the MBP up to another monitor to rule out (perhaps) the nvidia defect. If u are hearing noises, then the machine is probably booting, but the monitor may not be working. Another idea that I use all the time, and hopefully u have one of these, is to boot from an external bootable device with a known good version of the OS. If you don't have one of those now, get one later. It's a simple thing to make, just take an external drive and install OSX on it or use CarbonCopyCloner to make a clone of a working internal drive. Then you just hold down Option key on boot, and select the external drive. You can even put another know good mac box in firewire mode and then boot off that machines drive. But all these solutions require a working LCD on ur MBP...good luck!