Steve Ballmer: Safari a 'rounding error,' Mac losing market share

Comments

• Reply 41 of 219
    Take a close look at this chart

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=MSFT...=on&z=m&q=l&c=

It shows Microsoft's stock price from the beginning until now. Ballmer became CEO in the year 2000. The chart clearly shows what's happened to Microsoft's stock price both before and after Ballmer took over.

Bill Gates needs to look for a new leader. Ballmer has been losing almost every battle. He talks the talk but he doesn't walk the walk.

I would sure rather be playing Apple's hand at this juncture than Microsoft's.
  • Reply 42 of 219
    What's the usage breakdown of mobile browsers? How's WebKit doing vs. IE?

Of course, saying outlandish things gets attention...

And of course media pick these things up as that sells advertising.

"Proof is in the pudding" & right now Microsoft's pudding is still in the oven.
  • Reply 43 of 219
    This would take both sides of two t-shirts.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The Steve Ballmer Delusion Tour:

Ballmer: Apple won?t dominate the smartphone market - September 25, 2009

Microsoft CEO Ballmer gets $25,000 raise as company profit plummets 17% - September 19, 2009

*snip*

Microsoft CEO Ballmer: ?Apple iPod users are music thieves? - October 04, 2004

Microsoft CEO Ballmer on the digital home: ?There is no way that you can get there with Apple? - October 03, 2004

• Reply 44 of 219
    If Steve Balmer wasn't such an arrogant prick I would say Windows 7 is actually quite nice, but the fact remains, he's the biggest prick on the planet "it only takes one tosser to fuck up a company's reputation", Steve Balmer, you're a fucking tosser, you should have been relegated to tech support years ago.
  • Reply 45 of 219
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

wtf is a rounding error (not literally of course)? Someone tell this guy that some of us are off the coke and can't "get" his train wreck of thoughts.

Balmer is just being his usual blustering self... and most of this interview (and recent others) is just an outlet for FUD... however a couple of points:

Even though Safari might have a around 4% of the browser market... it's percentage of users on the PC is tiny.

Balmer's comment (from a previous interview) regarding PC to Mac switchers being "a rounding error" was, I believe, related to dollars not specifically market share. Remember that for every Mac switcher Microsoft only looses a sale of one OEM copy of Windows. Maybe 50 bucks ? That could mean around 60-80 million dollars last year. That really is a rounding error out of $60 BILLION. Note: Each switcher is worth a lot lot more to Apple.
  • Reply 46 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

I'm sure I read somewhere that Mac sales are down this year.

You read wrong!
  • Reply 47 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiminmissouri View Post

I'm afraid I don't understand.

If Apple's market share is "statistically insignificant", why then did Microsoft finally decide to pump millions of dollars into an ad campaign targeting people who might consider buying Apple computers?

For that matter, why are reporters even bothering to raise the issue?

Hmmm.

Also, why is Microfat opening Apple like stores and trying to lour away apple employees??? Not to mention their failed attempt at an MP3 player.
  • Reply 48 of 219
    Quote:

I got myself a few weeks back a pbook g4 12" and it runs everything mac seamlessly, its small, portable has firewire, a beautiful keyboard, 1.25 bg ram, and all these for a the super expensive price of $300. I don't see why a sony netbook at $900 or a crappy dell one at $400 with the shitty intel atom, miniscule keyboard, screen to get myopic reading is a better deal. I don't even see why an average crappy pc at $700 is a better deal than the $999 macbook which is much specked all around has right now a great screen and runs os x, which by definition means about 1000% more productive time for not catering to every awful windows quirk and bad design. Only the times spent by just typing in an item in settings and having appear to you instead of digging in various menus, sub menus, pop ups, sub pop ups to find what you are looking for. You can easily clone your hd and have it boot ready in case of any failure instead of the crappy back up apps that don't even make a decent clone. The list of conveniences is endless...

Well, to each his own.

Exemplary use of hyperbole. 1000% more productive... really? OS X is generally easier to use, more stable and secure than Windows - but not as much as you'd really like to believe. People can use PCs productively you know, it's not all like the adverts say.

I was referring to affordability as opposed to preference, hence mentions of Apple operating at the premium end of the market. You'd rather buy a 3(?) year old Mac than a brand new PC, if only there were more people like you - I could sell my Macbook for a really good price further down the line.
  • Reply 49 of 219
    Quote:

Only the times spent by just typing in an item in settings and having appear to you instead of digging in various menus, sub menus, pop ups, sub pop ups to find what you are looking for.

lol, what's a sub pop up?
  • Reply 50 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctwise View Post

Lastly, this quote surprised me - "The one thing that?s unclear is what?s the economic play for anybody else competing with us at the browser level. Is this all about kind of controlling the search box or is it about something else?". That's just plain ignorance. The entire point of Google competing at the browser level is to make the operating system irrelevant. But to do that, you need to increase the base functionality and performance of the browser. IE is a boat anchor in that effort, which explains Chrome and Chrome Frame.

Well, IE is a boat anchor, but making the operating system irrelevant is only an intermediate goal for Google. The real goal is to control information and information access

Of course, his apparent obsession with Apple is a major distraction. Apple isn't the immediate threat to Microsoft. Google is. His lack of ability to focus on real issues is a serious detriment to Microsoft.
  • Reply 51 of 219
    Balmer is completely delusional. He's in desperate need of medical attention.
  • Reply 52 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naman34 View Post

you're right about mac sales going down.

No. He's wrong.

Quote:

year over year, they were 8% down for 3rd quarter.

According to Apple's results, Mac sales increased by 4% in that quarter. Where are you getting your figures from?
  • Reply 53 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bv911 View Post

"Proof is in the pudding" & right now Microsoft's pudding is still in the oven.

actually the proof of the pudding is in the eating. And ms's pudding will come out of the oven burnt, as per usual
  • Reply 54 of 219
    [QUOTE=pauldfullerton;1490869 Ballmer should just wait until Apple releases its new tablet computer. That will surely make Ballmer and Microsoft look stupid once again.[/QUOTE]

Unless Windows 7 makes him look stupid first.
  • Reply 55 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

No. He's wrong.

According to Apple's results, Mac sales increased by 4% in that quarter. Where are you getting your figures from?

I think he's talking here in the US.
  • Reply 56 of 219
    WebKit is currently the minority browser on computers, however it is already dominant in smartphones; IE is heading towards being a rounding error in that domain.

http://www.cloudfour.com/448/webkit-...hone-platform/
  • Reply 57 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

lol, what's a sub pop up?

According to the windows ui it's a popup from within a pop up, as in a pop up from a pop up for help. And a new type of marvel I discovered via hp adware bundled with a printer in a friend's xp, is the sub pop up where you get a pop up: "you ink level is ok" and then right underneath it after a few secs pops a sub pop up informing you of "glossy hp paper pro" or something.

All brilliantly though out and implemented and all so terribly useful in the microsoft world where simplicity is never to be found.
  • Reply 58 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post

He reminds me of a yappy little insecure dog. Perhaps a Shitzu.

Come on now......my Shitzu's have at least twice as much intelligence as Ballmer nor do they yap, and they lick themselves for Christ's sake!

I grew up with Windows but jumped ship when Uncle Bill left. Watching Ballmer interact with the public (or even his staff for that matter) is like watching the crazy sea captain sail his ship into a class 5 hurricane laughing madly while telling everyone that it's all smooth sailing ahead!. So funny. Go Microsoft!!
  • Reply 59 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

Unless Windows 7 makes him look stupid first.

7 has been out as an rc for many months now and the only people that it made to look like fools are the developers who claimed that they didn't actually steal the dock, but implemented a feature available in windows 1.0 . Which was of course such a great and well thought out feature that it took 15 years and apple to actually get it working under windows. Classy stuff from ms developers.
  • Reply 60 of 219
    Ballmer forgets to mention that Apple designs, and sells the hardware

which Apple's OS and apps run on.

Microsoft makes only software. The appeal of software Mega-Giants is quickly

becoming old-hat and is losing its luster. Since the 1990's in fact.

Apple has done a great job determining what is new, fresh, and appealing

to the new generation of computer users.

Ballmer and Co. are not in the same business, or same league as Apple. And

also, Nokia can wipe the mobile phone market very easily, taking away the

Windows Mobile adoption claims away from MS as well.

Not a good time to own MS stocks. They will only lose value from here on.