Steve Ballmer: Safari a 'rounding error,' Mac losing market share

Comments

• Reply 61 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwilli View Post

If Steve Balmer wasn't such an arrogant prick I would say Windows 7 is actually quite nice, but the fact remains, he's the biggest prick on the planet "it only takes one tosser to fuck up a company's reputation", Steve Balmer, you're a fucking tosser, you should have been relegated to tech support years ago.

Are you kidding? Relegated to tech support? Listening to him give you directions or try to solve your problem would be like listening to the ramblings of a mental patient. On second thought, it might be good for a few laughs.
  • Reply 62 of 219
    so apple marketshare is a rounding error and insignificant...so insignificant that ms launched a national campaign specifically targeting apple. that campaign wasn't designed to directly recruit more windows users (remember, windows was never ever mentioned once in any laptop hunter ads). the ads were designed to make people stop and think about buying overpriced apple hardware during a recession. the same people ms counts as insignificant rounding errors i suppose.
  • Reply 63 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post

WebKit is currently the minority browser on computers, however it is already dominant in smartphones; IE is heading towards being a rounding error in that domain.

http://www.cloudfour.com/448/webkit-...hone-platform/

True.

People seem to forget that the companies have different goals with their products also. Balmer seems a bit confused over the motivations when he says this:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Balmer

... the one thing that?s unclear is what?s the economic play for anybody else competing with us at the browser level. Is this all about kind of controlling the search box or is it about something else?

I know he's talking about Google Chrome here mostly, but to me this shows that Balmer doesn't understand the first thing about the motives of his competitors.

Apples goal for Safari for instance isn't about search and isn't even to gain browser share. The goal is to promote open standards. If FireFox or IE switched to WebKit, Safari's work would be done even if it still only had 4% of the market. Apple doesn't give a crap about whether or not Safari "bests" MSIE, that's just Balmer's fear. Even if MISIE just went with FireFox's engine and FireFox stayed the same, Safari still "wins" because all they want to do is make the web work on open standards.

Google has very similar goals although they obviously compete with MS on search. Balmer literally doesn't "get it" at all. For him it's all about competition and "dominance." For most of the other companies, that has nothing to do with it.
  • Reply 64 of 219
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Mr. Ballmer, Vista is a rounding error, XP is not, but Vista is a rounding error.
  • Reply 65 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I. Pod MacNut View Post

Oh how I hope they maintain this attitude. Remember when Detroit automakers dismissed Toyota, Honda and Nissan?

Not a good analogy.

Toyota, Honda, and Nissan used to be much cheaper (just as Kia and Hyundai are today).
  • Reply 66 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wigby View Post

so apple marketshare is a rounding error and insignificant...so insignificant that ms launched a national campaign specifically targeting apple. that campaign wasn't designed to directly recruit more windows users (remember, windows was never ever mentioned once in any laptop hunter ads). the ads were designed to make people stop and think about buying overpriced apple hardware during a recession. the same people ms counts as insignificant rounding errors i suppose.

Yes, and Apple ended up pulling off a record quarter and selling more Macs. In a recession, no less. Apple is in fact, thriving in these tough economic times. It's all about lasting value.

Chances are, if the average consumer has $1000+ to spend, a mac will be at the top of their list. This is what MS can't stand. They're confined to the low-end of the market. Doesn't do a whole lot for mindshare and desirability. MS is no longer (was it ever?) the Gold Standard.
  • Reply 67 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosqueda View Post

Back in the 50's and 60's people thought the Japanese built little junk cars and brushed them away as insignificant. We all know how that turned out. Of course, thankfully, American carmakers are making a comeback, but it's been decades.

Ballmer appears to have the arrogance of Henry Ford II, past GM Chairmen and other American industrialists. Of course Microsoft isn't sitting still, but they need to be a little more humble and recognize the growth and appreciate the serious competition they are facing.

Imagine if just one government agency switches to OSX, just one. Or maybe one large company. Then the dominos begin to fall.

Hondas and Toyotas are still cheaper than the big three cars. Mac's are twice as expensive as a PC with similar performance
  • Reply 68 of 219
    If MS think they are winning back market share from Apple, why are they opening retail outlets near Apple Stores?, why are they paying higher salaries to recruit Apple Store staff?

Maybe, in a year or two, he will say sales at Apple Stores are 'rounding errors'.

In reality Balmer is very worried. They are now reliant on low margin netbooks, they haven't gained a good share of the online market (still way behind Google), failed merger attempt with Yahoo leading to a watered down strategic alliance, etc.

Also, with the sales of iPhones gaining ground fast, and new entrants such as Google Chrome, their mobile strategy looks rather frail.

Apple shares are trading much higher than they were a year ago, yet MS shares are lower. What does that say?

Phil
  • Reply 69 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffmac7101 View Post

Ballmer's head is a rounding error.

Yea I was going to say "the only "rounding error" in this instance is Steve Ballmers head" but you beat me too it!

Great minds think alike.
  • Reply 70 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

If MS think they are winning back market share from Apple, why are they opening retail outlets near Apple Stores?, why are they paying higher salaries to recruit Apple Store staff?

Phil

MS has lost control of the Premium end. Apple owns it. Those with $$ are choosing Apple.

The Stores are to build mindshare. Except that great proucts drive mindshare, not window-dressing.
  • Reply 71 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Yes, and Apple ended up pulling off a record quarter and selling more Macs. In a recession, no less. Apple is in fact, thriving in these tough economic times. It's all about lasting value.

Chances are, if the average consumer has $1000+ to spend, a mac will be at the top of their list. This is what MS can't stand. They're confined to the low-end of the market. Doesn't do a whole lot for mindshare and desirability. MS is no longer (was it ever?) the Gold Standard.

Totally agree. I know that my June 09 Macbook Pro will keep its value for many years to come, yet a Windows laptop will be almost worthless in 2 or 3 years.

At the end of he day, I don't care what Balmer says. I will only buy products if they offer what I want. MS products don't, Apple's do. Until that changes, I won't be changing my purchasing decisions.
  • Reply 72 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

Totally agree. I know that my June 09 Macbook Pro will keep its value for many years to come, yet a Windows laptop will be almost worthless in 2 or 3 years.

At the end of he day, I don't care what Balmer says. I will only buy products if they offer what I want. MS products don't, Apple's do. Until that changes, I won't be changing my purchasing decisions.

Yes. There's really no "winning back" Apple users. There's just nothing out there that compares to the Apple ecosystem. No matter how MS tries, their business model isn't set up to provide the kind of experience Apple does. By default, they're fighting a losing battle.
  • Reply 73 of 219
    Windows 7 is a rounding error! Current version is 6.1 (build 7600.16385.090713-1255)
  • Reply 74 of 219
    "There is no hardcore CAD/CAM for the mac."

Try VectorWorks Machine Design.
  • Reply 75 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Of course, his apparent obsession with Apple is a major distraction. Apple isn't the immediate threat to Microsoft. Google is. His lack of ability to focus on real issues is a serious detriment to Microsoft.

Totally agree. Ballmer doesn't seem to have any idea where MS is headed and no clue how to get there. One day he proclaims that Yahoo is essential to MS's long term survival, the next day he says it isn't. One day MS goes Walmart with the laptop hunter ads (buy me I'm cheap!) then later Ballmer comes out and says he wants to bring MS upmarket by somehow pushing up MS's netbook OS prices.

Monopolies are treacherous things. They make you think that you're the world's greatest manager whose company is making great products and whose marketing department has its finger on the consumer's pulse. In reality, the only reason Microsoft made billions of dollars was because IBM gifted them with an OS monopoly which they then, through partly illegal means, parlayed into the Office Suite monopoly.

When you look at things a little more closely, Microsoft isn't really any good in writing software, developing products, or pitching them at the costumer. All it's non-monopoly products are either dead, dying, or perpetual billion-dollar money losers. Including Xbox. Any objective evaluator will conclude that OS-X is better than Windows. Heck, even their own Windows chief Jim Allchin said so in an embarrassing internal e-mail that was exposed during discovery. Then on top of the lousy product, it's promotions are invariably lame, like a geek who's trying too hard to be cool.

All of Microsoft's brass are people who think they've been hitting homeruns when in fact they were put on third base by IBM. That includes Bill Gates. If Microsoft truly wants to succeed, they need to replace Ballmer with a guy who has a proven track record of successfully developing and selling product in a non-monopoly setting. Somebody like, ummmm, Steve Jobs. But of course that will never happen because as far as MS is concerned, the fault lies with someone else somewhere.
  • Reply 76 of 219
    You may be able to buy a crappy Windoze PeeCee today for 1/2 a Macbook, but that Macbook will still be happily used for 5 years. Meanwhile, you'll hate and replace your Windoze PeeCee 2 or 3 times over that same time frame. My 12" iBook G4 has gone strong for 5 years and only now, with Snow Leopard, is not upgradeable. I might wait for a tablet Mac to replace it - although, in many ways, my iPhone has already done that.
  • Reply 77 of 219
    I find it interesting that Apple, for the most part, doesn't engage in name calling and bashing of MS. I can't recall SJ or PS or any execs going off like this. I don't believe the commercials count, because they are for the most part true.

What I like about Apple is that they keep their nose to the grindstone, make great products and let us, the happy consumers do the talking with our cash.

Ballmer is scared, period. MS's strategy was alway copy/kill, push vaporware to keep you from buying the latest and greatest and downtalk the competition. None of which work anymore. F MS.
  • Reply 78 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I find it interesting that Apple, for the most part, doesn't engage in name calling and bashing of MS. I can't recall SJ or PS or any execs going off like this. I don't believe the commercials count, because they are for the most part true.

What I like about Apple is that they keep their nose to the grindstone, make great products and let us, the happy consumers do the talking with our cash.

Ballmer is scared, period. MS's strategy was alway copy/kill, push vaporware to keep you from buying the latest and greatest and downtalk the competition. None of which work anymore. F MS.

Oh dear, you've obviously missed some great Keynote presentations from Bertrand Serlet. He is just brilliant! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTfChHwGFf0

Nothing is liable, it's all true!!
  • Reply 80 of 219
    Remember that fat jerk-off kid in your high school that nobody liked, but who was still arrogant, smug, and...well, he was still fat. And still a jerk-off.