Steve Ballmer: Safari a 'rounding error,' Mac losing market share

Comments

• Reply 81 of 219
    Ballmer is a dick. Keep talking jackass.
  • Reply 82 of 219
    Ballmer is a dick, keep talking jackass.
  • Reply 83 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

They are now reliant on low margin netbooks...

... running a discontinued* version of Windows.

* Well XP would be discontinured except for the introduction of the Netbook ... running Linux.
  • Reply 84 of 219
    I really need to be careful when reading anything about what Ballmer says while I'm at work.

I had to keep myself from literally laughing out loud more than once.

Rumor has it that the next edition of Webster's Dictionary will have a picture of Ballmer next to the word "nincompoop".
  • Reply 85 of 219
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

"You?re not from the side. You?re one on one, but that?s kind of a Linux, Android, presumably Chrome OS, who knows, attack vector. You can attack through phones that grow up. You know, mama don?t let your phones grow up to be PCs or something. I don?t know."

Can I feed the rabbits?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

This would take both sides of two t-shirts.

Only one t-shirt in Ballmer's size.
  • Reply 86 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

Ballmer proves again what an idiot he really is. Maybe someone should tell him that if a customer buys a Mac (with MacOSX) plus a Windows license he/she gets both a Mac and a Windows machine all for the price of one computer. Now that's much better value for money than buying one Windows PC with just a Windows operating system, (along with all its associated anti-malware software). And as far as netbooks are concerned - Ballmer should just wait until Apple releases its new tablet computer. That will surely make Ballmer and Microsoft look stupid once again.

You had me at the title.
  • Reply 87 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Remember that fat jerk-off kid in your high school that nobody liked, but who was still arrogant, smug, and...well, he was still fat. And still a jerk-off.

he's killing ms, and doing it great...so i say, every fan of apple should love ballmer...
  • Reply 88 of 219
    I hate to go against the herd here, but Balmer is actually right. Apple talk a lot about their share gains in the US (which are both real and impressive), but if you look at their overseas success, it's not really there yet, and Microsoft dominate.

I hate to say it, because I'm far from impressed with Windows (though Windows 7 doesn't look that bad), but if you look at the global numbers, Apple are not making progress against Microsoft.
  • Reply 89 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not a good analogy.

Toyota, Honda, and Nissan used to be much cheaper (just as Kia and Hyundai are today).

I think you missed the point, it was that Toyota, Honda and Nissan were seen as no threat and look at them now. Does not matter really what was the reason for their success, but main point was their were dismissed.
  • Reply 90 of 219
    Who cares what Bill Gates' college roommate thinks? I look forward to the day that the Microsoft board votes his pasty, useless butt out.
  • Reply 91 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by naman34 View Post

you're right about mac sales going down.

year over year, they were 8% down for 3rd quarter. But its much less of a fall than the rest of the industry and the only reason is the recession. Compared to the rest of the industry, mac sales are bloody strong.

. . .

In business the only numbers that really matter are those of profits and cold hard cash.

and in the that department, apple is kicking ass. 91% of all compters of $1000 or above sold in the last year were macs. That says quite a bit.

So basically, 91% of the REAL computers sold in the last year were macs.

cmon a Real computer costs at least 1000 dollars. Or at least 800. Anything cheaper than that is basically a netbook, which is basically more of a peripheral device than a proper computer itself.

Totally agree with the gist of what you are saying but:

Actually Apple 3Q revenues are barely down (less than 1% if you look at earnings per share, flat if you look at revenues.) You need to compare Q3 with previous Q3 as Q2 and Q3 are always seasonally down. What has been down is rate of growth -- still positive but not as stellar as it has been.

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...asp?ric=AAPL.O
  • Reply 92 of 219
    Quote:

quoting SB: I?ll call it the Mac attack of which Snow Leopard is a piece.

this is the one truly correct comment that Balmer makes. Apple is about the 'complete package' which is hardware, software, support. To break it apart and try to say "well our hardware is better, but their software is" misses the point. folks are buying the package not the pieces. In part because this is how Apple wants it. but also cause they like the appeal of that way of doing things. one stop shopping if you will.

Pity Balmer has to follow it with a bunch of tripe.

Quote:

I mean, we?re gaining share. Apple is expensive. And in tough economic environment, people get it.

what Balmer doesn't get is that in times like these, folks will spend but they are looking more closely at cost effectiveness than before. Buying something for $1000 that will last for 5 years is 'cheaper' than buying something for $700 that will only last 2.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiminmissouri View Post

If Apple's market share is "statistically insignificant", why then did Microsoft finally decide to pump millions of dollars into an ad campaign targeting people who might consider buying Apple computers?

indeed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

I'm sure I read somewhere that Mac sales are down this year.

define down. you talking dollars or units. cause yes I believe one of them took a small drop but the other didn't. like the price cuts in the late spring brought down the dollars but raised the units sold.

Quote:

Maybe one day Apple will pull out altogether and stick to phones and media players

over Steve Jobs new liver.

the day that Apple stops dealing in computers is the day that the legal system forces them to. or at least forces them to stop dealing in hardware or software (ie one or the other but they can't do both anymore)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post

Ballmer proves again what an idiot he really is. Maybe someone should tell him that if a customer buys a Mac (with MacOSX) plus a Windows license he/she gets both a Mac and a Windows machine all for the price of one computer.

yes and no. remember that Apple doesn't support Boot Camp. it is one of those 'provided as a courtesy' items that they won't help with and if it screws up your computer, tough nuggets. you have to fix it on your own.

but you are correct that the hardware on both sides is from the same molds and yes there is the possibility of having two machines at once. then again, if you don't mind cheating it is possible (illegal by your license but technically possible) to put Mac OS X on any computer you want.

Quote:

And as far as netbooks are concerned

by letter of the definition, there are few to no netbooks on the market. there are sub sized laptops galore but very few devices that were designed and marketed as a NETbook. The Apple Tablet, particularly if it runs the iphone OS, might be the first truly NETbook (with an added media player).

and if it goes simlocked with 3g/4g and wifi and at least limited approved apps via the itunes store (particularly if they hire another 10 or so reviewers just to examine new versions of previously approved iphone/touch apps for quick release into the 'tablet' store), it could be an interesting fight.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Really looking for an answer, why does having the most popular browser matter? They are free and you can't really embed any advertising, that is done by the content provider, so why is this important?

what is there really to gain by winning the House Cup. It's a shiny trophy and bragging rights. Period. again, the 8 year old tome of wisdom (who spent the last couple of days here sick in bed cause I was working at home) points out that 'they don't really get anything right. there's no toys or special treats', they just get to say they won't and Dumbledore puts their things up in the hall'.

that's this whole browser war. no real profit, just bragging rights.

oh and yes I think Balmer would be Draco in this sitch. Especially the version from the first movie where he started off with that snide gloating face but when the math was done looked like he was going to barf in his pudding he was to peeved they lost in the end. so he spent dinner pouting

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

Apple IS expensive.

out of pocket sure. but you also have to look at cost of ownership.

the computer on my desk cost $1600 out of pocket, plus $600 in upgrades to the hardware and another $130 to the basic software (by that I mean the OS) over 8 years. Yeah the computer is old, the DVD burner is finally blowing out, the fans are noisy, but I can still get online, read my email, surf the web. I can watch standard def video downloads from itunes no worries. etc. and all the problems there are didn't start until about a year ago. so lets call it a 7 year old machine since that's how long it was really working without issues.

so for basically $2300 over 7 years. not so 'expensive' after all.

Quote:

Apple has done a great job determining what is new, fresh, and appealing

to the new generation of computer users.

this is something Apple is very good at. they make us want what they want us to want, not what the other guys are doing.

the other guys all shoved blu-ray players in their computers. It was mainly as a marketing tool ("Look Mom, it has blu-ray" said the laptop hunter ad). Apple puts in SD slots and you can bet they will be the big cheerleaders for replacing optical with SD/flash memory for everything including movies and tv shows. and there is some appeal. I have whole seasons of shows that are on 6-7 disks. what if I could get the same on 1-2 little cards the size of the member cards hanging on my keychain. so much clutter gone from my place. Instead of bookshelves and racks on the walls I have a box on my desk. And all that plastic no longer being wasted on disks and packaging. Steve Jobs is the savior of the environment. Mark my words, it will happen over the next few years and Apple will be the Pied Piper of the game. on that, on solid state drives, on reducing cable clutter with few wires between parts and better wireless connection systems.

and yeah it's going to cost more than $500 a machine. but Apple isn't about making cheap. they are luxury and they know it. The world knows it and embraces this. And while Apple will be doing just dandy with their $2000 desktops, Ballmer and such will be shaking their heads and trying to catch up
  • Reply 93 of 219
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stokessd View Post

1) There are lots of government agencies that use Macs. NASA has had a long history of mac usership. Nobody is only macs because macs don't have certain mission critical software. There is no hardcore CAD/CAM for the mac. There is no credible PCB layout for the MAC. the list goes on and on.

2) Windows is software, and so much of a computing experience is interactions with the hardware. Apple makes nice hardware that I want to use. I end up running both XP and snow leopard on it to get work done. Regardless of what people say, windows does work and can work very well. I spend 8 hours a day on it at work and am very productive.

3) I find it ironic that the mac hardware designs are done on Windows machines.

Sheldon

Pretty reasonable observations. There really isn't that much difference between Mac, Windows and even Linux. Mac seems to have a little more finesse in the GUI department, but for example if you know Photoshop on a Mac, you should feel quite at ease working in Photoshop on Windows. However, when you have to do a lot of interaction with the file system, Windows seems a bit clunky to me but both can certainly get the job done. Linux interface is the clunkiest of them all but powerful and rock solid for servers. Any computer professional can master whatever OS is appropriate for the task at hand.
  • Reply 94 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

No. He's wrong.

According to Apple's results, Mac sales increased by 4% in that quarter. Where are you getting your figures from?

http://www.macdailynews.com/index.ph..._sold_in_2009/

Record Mac sales.
  • Reply 95 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

I find it interesting that Apple, for the most part, doesn't engage in name calling and bashing of MS. I can't recall SJ or PS or any execs going off like this. I don't believe the commercials count, because they are for the most part true.

What I like about Apple is that they keep their nose to the grindstone, make great products and let us, the happy consumers do the talking with our cash.

Ballmer is scared, period. MS's strategy was alway copy/kill, push vaporware to keep you from buying the latest and greatest and downtalk the competition. None of which work anymore. F MS.

Apple does from time to time, but when they do it, it tends to make sense and is even clever.
  • Reply 96 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Totally agree with the gist of what you are saying but:

Actually Apple 3Q revenues are barely down (less than 1% if you look at earnings per share, flat if you look at revenues.) You need to compare Q3 with previous Q3 as Q2 and Q3 are always seasonally down. What has been down is rate of growth -- still positive but not as stellar as it has been.

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...asp?ric=AAPL.O

And for comparison.

http://investing.businessweek.com/re...asp?ric=MSFT.O
  • Reply 97 of 219
    My new Macbook Pro should be here tomorrow. Haven't had a Mac since the IIci was the latest. Not only a switcher but a developer moving to Mac. Can't wait until I can get away from Windows completely.
  • Reply 98 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

Sometimes I think Ballmer's IQ is a rounding error ... Why does he constantly rant about it if it is so insignificant? Remember the recent iPhone seizure incident.

Gates must be pulling the strings. This idiot could not be running the company.

actually, the rounding error is balmer's head.

Nice...smoooooth...cerebrum...

• Reply 99 of 219
    Quote:

http://www.macdailynews.com/index.ph..._sold_in_2009/

Record Mac sales.

I can believe it. Whenever I'm in an Apple Store, I see machines flying out the storeroom like hot cakes from an oven. When my girlfriend was buying hers, (in Kingston-upon-Thames, UK), we were in the store for 30 minutes. In that time I counted 12 machines being sold. No wonder Apple continue to roll out new stores.

Phil
  • Reply 100 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

My new Macbook Pro should be here tomorrow. Haven't had a Mac since the IIci was the latest. Not only a switcher but a developer moving to Mac. Can't wait until I can get away from Windows completely.

What kind of software do you develop? Anything we'd be interested in purchasing?

Welcome back anyway. You won't be switching back, that's one thing I can guarantee.

I switched 4.5 years ago, and my only regret was not doing it earlier.