Steve Ballmer: Safari a 'rounding error,' Mac losing market share

Comments

• Reply 181 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

May Apple enable flash on iPhone's Safari so I can actually use it consistently.

I can reword your question this way:

May Apple give away to Adobe for free half of the hardware resources it is selling (that is, processor power, device memory and battery power) to run it's lousy software, which is the number 1 reason for crashes on Mac OS X desktop?
  • Reply 182 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rooket View Post

Ford is going to be the number one manufacturer by 2012 anyways.

Sources on that claim, please.

To all you motorheads: China is coming. Anyone in the auto business should either carve themselves a niche, or be prepared to die.

As for the relevance to tech? I hope MS and Apple don't get too fixated on each-other that they overlook a growing third entry (the same way Detroit was to busy out-guzzling itself to notice a rising sun).
  • Reply 183 of 219
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiminmissouri View Post

I'm afraid I don't understand.

If Apple's market share is "statistically insignificant", why then did Microsoft finally decide to pump millions of dollars into an ad campaign targeting people who might consider buying Apple computers?

For that matter, why are reporters even bothering to raise the issue?

Hmmm.

a) To keep Apple's share where they like it.

b) To establish brand name that could help in sales of more fashionable gadgets (players, phones)

Probably a bit of both...
  • Reply 184 of 219
    I'm pretty sure he is just talking complete bulls**t at this point.

I think what he meant to say was ther price drops had EVERYTHING to do with snow leopard since it has sold more then tiger and leopard combined, and windows 7's student pricing is EXACTLY THE SAME as snow leopard pricing.

And I think he meant to say Safari is a flop when used on windows machines because windows can't handle it.

..just a few minor corrections there.
  • Reply 185 of 219
    Quote:

I'm amazed this news makes it up on an Apple forum. But it just shows that this forum is totally unbiased I am guessing.

Why is it that whenever I try to access emails on hotmail.com, I can't actually open the emails but only list them? The comment on Safari in this article is vague but realistically that browser does not seem to work very well if it can't open a simple hotmail message. Idc if apple hates microsoft or vice versa, but why put out a product that can't do something that freaking simple? That is just nonsense.

That sounds bizarre. I can open emails from my old hotmail account just fine, images and all. For example, I used to play EVE Online. I've cancelled my accounts long ago but I still get the newlsetter. I can open the entire e-mail in hotmail via Safari, and the newsletter - graphics and all, appears inline.

Then again, if you're the type that projects their anecdotal problems onto the entire market then you can't be helped. I'm going to assume that isn't the case.

Safari works just fine with Hotmail/Windows Live Mail. I do all my banking through Safari as well.
  • Reply 186 of 219
    The only rounding error in the computer industry is your big bald head, Steve. Why haven't you stepped down yet to let someone fresh make Microsoft sing again?
  • Reply 187 of 219
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

The Steve Ballmer Delusion Tour:

Wow, you are obsessed with that poor dude!!!

He certainly is a big mouth, but just for the record:

Quote:

Ballmer: Apple won?t dominate the smartphone market - September 25, 2009

Well they don't dominate it - it is still dominated by Nokia and RIM. iPhone is brilliant and I'm using it with great joy but competition is catching up, so I wouldn't hold my breath regarding iPhone world dominance.

Quote:

Microsoft CEO Ballmer gets $25,000 raise as company profit plummets 17% - September 19, 2009

True, but he's lost around $100,000 with smaller bonus this year, so his yearly income went down a bit - some 5%. Not that it matters - his part in MS shares is worth around 10 billion US$. Not bad for a dumbhead.

Quote:

Ballmer grabs Apple iPhone from Microsoft employee and ?stomps? it into ground - September 11, 2009

I'd actually be disappointed if he didn't do anything like that. It's so Ballmer

Quote:

Steve Ballmer calls Apple?s Mac market share growth a ?rounding error? - July 31, 2009

Well.. 4% worldwide is hardly something to write home about. If Ballmer fears Apple, he doesn't fear what Apple is today, but rather what it could become tomorrow; Apple's potential.

Quote:

In a roomful of Macs, Ballmer promises ?really amazing? non-Apple PC hardware coming this Christmas - July 30, 2009

Well there are some nice units coming out. Check out this Pininfarina designed Gateway, for example: http://www.gateway.com/programs/idse...pid=supportnav

Quote:

Ballmer attempts to laugh off Google?s Chrome OS challenge - July 14, 2009

Chrome OS is not much more than laugh matter right now - I believe Acer gave up on introducing netbook with Chrome OS. That might change, but looking at Chrome browser... hm...
  • Reply 188 of 219
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Very observant on your part. Despite appearances, Ballmer isn't stupid. Apple and Google have him scared. He is talking a big game about how his two most biggest fears don't mean anything. What is he supposed to say? Meanwhile he is spending millions to combat a supposedly insignificant company all the while hoping new Microsoft plans when in effect will reverse the slide.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiminmissouri View Post

I'm afraid I don't understand.

If Apple's market share is "statistically insignificant", why then did Microsoft finally decide to pump millions of dollars into an ad campaign targeting people who might consider buying Apple computers?

For that matter, why are reporters even bothering to raise the issue?

Hmmm.

• Reply 189 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

That sounds bizarre. I can open emails from my old hotmail account just fine, images and all. For example, I used to play EVE Online. I've cancelled my accounts long ago but I still get the newlsetter. I can open the entire e-mail in hotmail via Safari, and the newsletter - graphics and all, appears inline.

Then again, if you're the type that projects their anecdotal problems onto the entire market then you can't be helped. I'm going to assume that isn't the case.

Safari works just fine with Hotmail/Windows Live Mail. I do all my banking through Safari as well.

Yes, safari has worked for pretty much everything I do browsing these days, but theres always my "backup" Firefox in my applications folder just in case.

What I find funny is how hotmail isn't compatible with most Microsoft products. Try getting it to work in Outlook, simply impossible even with that silly "Hotmail Plugin"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by canadianjeepguy30 View Post

Are you kidding? Relegated to tech support? Listening to him give you directions or try to solve your problem would be like listening to the ramblings of a mental patient. On second thought, it might be good for a few laughs.

Confused PC User: "Hi I want to open Word on my PC and I double click it, but then nothing happens"

Ballmer, Tech Support Extraordinaire: "NOTHING IS WRONG, YOU ARE PROBABLY USING AN APPLE BRAND MOUSE THAT IS SECRETLY PREVENTING YOU FROM CLICKING ANYTHING, WINDOWS 7, VISTA, NO PROBLEMS, SUCCESS, APPLE ARE LOSING, HURRHURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"
  • Reply 190 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

I'll probably get a lot of static for saying this ? but I don't think personal computers in terms of value are expensive. You can buy a good Apple computer between 2 and 3 thousand dollars. You can buy a good quality automobile for 25 to 40 thousand dollars.

A quality computer with a quality OS is worth saving for just as an automobile with high reliability and low maintenance is worth saving for.

Penny wise and pound foolish, I say, regarding less expensive computers. Furthermore, Steve Ballmer is a sales guy, and I would deal with him as such.

The main reason why I dislike your analogy i that cars cost far more to make, ship, and sell than do computers, not to mention constructing automobiles usually takes longer.

By your reasoning, perhaps basic toasters should sell for $10,000 just because they are so useful.
  • Reply 191 of 219
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Despite appearances, Ballmer isn't stupid.

Well, be clearly isn't stupid, but being intelligent is sometimes compatible with being insane and/or delusional --both of which Ballmer clearly is. His dismissal of the iPhone is CLASSIC!
  • Reply 192 of 219
    Fail.
  • Reply 193 of 219
    Quote:

Or one could take their Dell laptop and use Norton Ghost to back up a complete image of it and when there's a major issue, just restore the image. Then again, Windows has a feature built in where when you go in safe mode, you can choose a restore point to roll back to. I haven't used it much but when i did use it, it worked well. I'm always learning new things.

Apple to remain bmw? Have you seen what kind of a car you get for 40 grand from BMW? no thanks! lol and plus the maintenance on those things is absurd. A ford lasts just as long (probably longer) than a BMW. Ford is going to be the number one manufacturer by 2012 anyways. BMW will never be that high. I guess it is a fair comparison then since it appears that Apple with their high prices wants to always be the under dog.

But then yeah at least an apple is affordable so those who want to toss their money at it can. I guess it comes down to whether or not u think aesthetics are worth several hundreds of dollars for a piece of equipment that does exactly the same thing as anything any other vendor offers.

Quote:

I'm amazed this news makes it up on an Apple forum. But it just shows that this forum is totally unbiased I am guessing.

Why is it that whenever I try to access emails on hotmail.com, I can't actually open the emails but only list them? The comment on Safari in this article is vague but realistically that browser does not seem to work very well if it can't open a simple hotmail message. Idc if apple hates microsoft or vice versa, but why put out a product that can't do something that freaking simple? That is just nonsense.

Apple's gotta do a lot better to hook me in to their products. Their laptops seem ok but they cost about 2x as much as a PC vendor can make (using very similar hardware, come on Apple uses Hynix ram and Fujitsu hard drives both of which are extremely cheap as well as I read they switched vendors from Intel to Nvidia to cut costs on main boards inside macbooks). So all I see Apple doing is cutting costs and maybe lowering prices a touch but keeping them up high and basically price gouging the consumer for 'aesthetics' and a few little bells and whistles such as the neodynium magnets holding the power supply onto the macbook, light weight portability, and maybe a couple other things I can't think of.

When I bought my laptop, it would have cost me $600 more for a macbook with all of the same features, down to the processor core, graphics chip, same exact brand of RAM too and now these days the type of laptop I have costs even less and apple's offering costs about double what I can buy one for. Now it is starting to look like Fujitsu possibly makes one of the best quality laptops, I knew someone with one of those and it worked exceptionally well.

I think if Apple wants to make it really worth spending the extra bucks on a macbook, they should use a brand name ram (Hynix? come on guys.. spending $1800 for a low end laptop and popping open the chassis to find this is just disgraceful on your part but then again, the ram works...) and plus you can buy a high end gaming laptop with SLI these days for around that much or maybe even less. I've seen them go on sale for less than that, but it is rare.

The only other thing that'd get me to buy one is if they priced it according to what other vendors price their systems with equivalent hardware at. After all, a Macbook is just an Intel laptop that looks different and possibly is lighter than everyone else's laptop.

The reason why people still buy these things is because somehow Apple brainwashed society into thinking that if you put an apple logo on anything, it automatically makes it not crash. And this is not true because there is absolutely no such thing as a computer that never crashes and also again these are basically the same equipment as other vendors provide for retail sale. Then again I can recall in the distant past where whenever I let an iMAC idle and tried to type or use the mouse the whole computer was froze including the mouse cursor. That...just didn't set in well with me for the product.

..and don't get me started on ipod shuffles. $80 for 2 gigs of storage?

But anyway Apple will continue going on the way they are I'm sure while the rest of us will bargain hunt. After all even Apple themselve said the typical lifespan of a computer is 3 years and when you calculate it out, you can probably buy 3 PC laptops for the price of one 17" macbook pro which has specs that aren't very impressive. So I'm talking 9 years versus 3. Do the math.

Trolling?
  • Reply 194 of 219
    gescomgescom Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Internet Explorer \t 66.97%

Firefox \t 22.98%

Safari \t 4.07%

Chrome \t 2.84%

Opera \t 2.04%

Source: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/brow...e.aspx?qprid=0

And, more to cause Steve's head to explode: http://kottke.org/09/09/kottkeorg-vi...and-statistics

True, but that's because of USA Corporate State of Mind.

In Europe we have:

Microsoft 50%

Firefox 38%

In Finland (Europe):

Firefox 48%

Microsoft 41%

Go FireFox Go!!!!!!
  • Reply 195 of 219
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mosqueda View Post

Back in the 50's and 60's people thought the Japanese built little junk cars and brushed them away as insignificant. We all know how that turned out. Of course, thankfully, American carmakers are making a comeback, but it's been decades.

Ballmer appears to have the arrogance of Henry Ford II, past GM Chairmen and other American industrialists. Of course Microsoft isn't sitting still, but they need to be a little more humble and recognize the growth and appreciate the serious competition they are facing.

Imagine if just one government agency switches to OSX, just one. Or maybe one large company. Then the dominos begin to fall.

Outside of general office work most governmental agencies don't use Windows; it they aren't running some propriety OS they are likely still keeping VAX around or run UNIX. While old the Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 versus UNIX article shows that UNIX was still king of the heap in 4.0 NT days.

Texas state Senate bans Vista from use in government agencies shows that even with the intensives MS was putting out some state governments were waking up to the fact they can't keep going on the MS OS upgrade bandwagon as their budgets are totally shot.
  • Reply 196 of 219
    I just love this article;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...ft-mac-windows

and if that isn't enough, how about;

http://cnettv.cnet.com/special-repor...-50077452.html

Poor Microsoft, can't get anything right these days.
  • Reply 197 of 219
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

Hondas and Toyotas are still cheaper than the big three cars. Mac's are twice as expensive as a PC with similar performance

A claim made again and again and again but few facts to back it up are presented and what fact there are are regarding out of date machines and-or prices.
  • Reply 198 of 219
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

Interesting. At my webcomic's site (hardly a scientific sampling), I see:

\t

Firefox – 63.01%\t

Internet Explorer – 15.68%\t

Safari – 12.28%\t

Chrome – 6.12%\t

Opera – 2.03%

Does that mean my readers are smarter than the average internet user?

It means the average internet user is either a business/education user or entry level and uses whatever came with the computer. Nobody I know who have tried something other than IE willingly still use it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

And why is Microsoft still selling Office for Mac??

Because they're in the business of making money.
  • Reply 199 of 219
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrumbleGus View Post

Balmer has become the post turtle of the computer industry.

"When you're driving down a country road and you see a fence post with a turtle balanced on top, that's a post turtle. You know he didn't get up there by himself and he can only see in the direction he has been turned. He doesn't belong there; he can't get anything done while he's up there; and you just want to help the poor, dumb thing down."

Yep. That's Ballmer alright. Except you forgot to mention that the turtle is fat, stupid, sweats a lot and is consistently angry about everything.
  • Reply 200 of 219
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Now that I think about it, Ballmer himself is the "rounding error." Especially so when he goes 'round and 'round a podium, sweating and shouting, while hurting his foot, then trying to hide it.

Think of his foot as every single product launch he has been responsible for and you get the idea.