Apple resellers advised of 2-3 week delay on Mac mini orders

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:

No chin would be cool but where would the inards go?

Well, on the 24" they could fit in the same place that is currently arranged within the 20" model. Maybe retain the chin on the 20" and lose it on the 24", but that would confuse the product-identity as far as appearances go.

I've always thought they should make the iMac deeper and lose the chin entirely, while the Cinema Display could distinguish itself by simply being slimmer. But then where would all the Post-Its go?
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

They do sell a USB Ethernet adapter for the MacBook Air that does work on the Mini.... Your still stuck at half duplex speeds but it would offer a second port.

I've often considered trying one of those. If the 1Gb interface was dedicated to a private file-serving network the second interface would be more than fast enough for DSL/Cable Internet access.

As it is now, all my home (desktop) machines access the Internet using Wifi while the ethernet ports connect to an internal file server (as mentioned above). Ultimately I'd like to use wires for both, for added security and general reliability. If all machines came with two ethernet ports I would relegate the Wifi network to visiting guests and occasional handheld devices.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    While I really like my 6X6X2 Mini, I'd be more than happy with a taller one. How about a modern '21 century' 6x6X6 cube? No telling what could be put in that much space: a second HDD; a desktop CPU; better cooling; hinged section or panel for upgrading, etc.

How about a uni-aluminum body? Unsnap the lid and lift out the guts. Or open a side panel and have all parts available like the Mac Pro.

Any thoughts on what else you'd like to see in that extra space?

Sorry, I was just daydreaming. I know, I know, this has been discussed before; don't flame me. That's too much like a real desktop for Apple to actually build.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

... this is starting to look like a pretty significant revamp of the mac line, almost as big as the Intel Transition. I guess I can explain this by Jobs wanting to get as much done while he is still with us...

What, you're killing him already? The man's just got back to work...
  • Reply 25 of 58
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Apple is positioning their entire lineup as "green computing" solutions. The likelihood of ever seeing a real desktop CPU or GPU in a Mac is zero.

I expect the mini will simply get 2GB of RAM, a 160GB HD and a 2.13 or 2.26GHz processor.

The iMac is a huge mystery because making it thinner reduces the internal airflow making hotter chips virtually out of the question unless Jobs approves a new "porcupine" look with cooling fins integrated into the back case. Below are Apple's options for CPU. The prices are Intel's published ones and do not reflect any discount Apple may receive.

Mobile Core 2 Duo Penryn - the dual core chip Apple currently uses (add 10 Watts plus more money for the separate memory controller)

T9550 is a 2.66GHz CPU that draws 35W and costs $316

T9900 is a 3.06GHz CPU that draws 35W and costs $530

Mobile Core i7 Clarksfield - the newest mobile quad core with integrated memory controller

720QM is a 1.6 GHz CPU that draws 45W and costs $364

820QM is a 1.73GHz CPU that draws 45W and costs $546

920XM is a 2.0 GHz CPU that draws 55W and costs a whopping $1054

Xeon - low power server variant of the Core i7

The L3426 is a 1.83 GHz CPU that draws 45W and costs $284

The L5506 is a 2.13 GHz CPU that draws 60W and costs $423

The L5520 is a 2.26 GHz CPU that draws 60W and costs $530

From a pure CPU standpoint the Xeon wins hands down on price and performance and does very well from a power usage standpoint too. There complication is that the L3xxx series and L5xxx series are incompatible meaning there would have to be two different iMac motherboards.

That, however, isn't a big problem. Manufacturers often have a cheaper motherboard in their lower end models than in their more expensive ones. Apple themselves used two separate G5 tower motherboards and even had a third motherboard from October 2004 to June 2005 when they shipped a mix of single and dual processor machines. I believe the current quad core and 8 core Mac Pros use different motherboards too.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Well, on the 24" they could fit in the same place that is currently arranged within the 20" model. Maybe retain the chin on the 20" and lose it on the 24", but that would confuse the product-identity as far as appearances go.

I've always thought they should make the iMac deeper and lose the chin entirely, while the Cinema Display could distinguish itself by simply being slimmer. But then where would all the Post-Its go?

perhaps moving the 20" guts to a 24" and the 24" guts to a 28"?

The chin isn't so bad, though. They want that logo on there as well likely.

Eventually an OLED screen will have no chin/bezel, and that will be great.
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

One thing is that there is still absolutely no event announcement from Apple itself. A silent refresh with all the features touted (blu ray, losing the chin and so on) would be unwise, almost impossible.

Also, where are the reports of renting out a pace for this presentation.

Simple media email a week or so before ...

They could very easily use the 'Town Hall' on campus ... been done before ;-)
  • Reply 28 of 58
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

It would be cool if the iMac finally lost its "chin" and looked just like any other Apple display from the front.

I've never understood the obsession with the chin.

It offers a place for branding and makes the computer thinner. What's the problem?

It's starting to look as if everything but the Mac Pros will be revved in October, which is fairly insane.

I can't remember the last time that happened in such a short space of time.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hugodinho View Post

What, you're killing him already? The man's just got back to work...

I never said I wanted him to die, in fact I sincerely hope Steve stays with us for a long time to come and wish him all the best. But if he decides to work really hard for the next 5 years to make sure apple is in the best shape possible before he leaves us I would not be surprised.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    kerrynkerryn Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

It offers a place for branding and makes the computer thinner. What's the problem?

Errr, its fugly?
  • Reply 31 of 58
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:

It's starting to look as if everything but the Mac Pros will be revved in October, which is fairly insane.

I never said there was a problem with the chin - only that it would be cool if they could make iMacs look like Apple displays from the front.

I think it would look good especially with dual monitor setups.

"Hey nice monitors. Where's the Mac Pro tower? Wait...one of those is an iMac? Nice!"

But the chin in and of itself is not a bad thing. You still get the nice flat high-quality display, along with plenty of space for that awesome Apple logo to proudly show. And I agree the chin is an excellent place for post-its.

I have a 20" iMac G5 - just got it this week, actually - and I think it's probably the nicest looking piece of technology in my entire home. Chin and all.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    It would be nice if the whole desktop line got a bit of loving, it's been a while. Apple would have to be careful about the timing of any announcement event though. On the 22nd all the sweet old ladies, cuddly nerds, non-threatening black professionals and discreetly sexy milfs will be hanging out in each other's kitchens playing with balloons and Windows 7.
  • Reply 33 of 58
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

On the 22nd all the sweet old ladies, cuddly nerds, non-threatening black professionals and discreetly sexy milfs will be hanging out in each other's kitchens playing with balloons and Windows 7.

• Reply 34 of 58
    Quote:

You know what it reminds me of? You know when a lady lets her body go the butt drops off from the thigh? That's what it looks like to me.

CodeName "Facelift Mac"
  • Reply 35 of 58
    Quote:

It would be nice if the whole desktop line got a bit of loving, it's been a while. Apple would have to be careful about the timing of any announcement event though. On the 22nd all the sweet old ladies, cuddly nerds, non-threatening black professionals and discreetly sexy milfs will be hanging out in each other's kitchens playing with balloons and Windows 7.

You know Apple could pull a big bit*h of a move and announce the new Mac's on that day. Totally putting Windows 7 out of the news entirely. Well take first page over Windows 7 at least.
  • Reply 36 of 58
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

For one thing, it doesn't match the apple displays when placed side by side.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

You know what it reminds me of? You know when a lady lets her body go the butt drops off from the thigh? That's what it looks like to me.

And, a gentleman lets his body go and the same thing happens, what does it remind you of?
  • Reply 38 of 58
    Quote:

Apple would have to be careful about the timing of any announcement event though. On the 22nd all the sweet old ladies, cuddly nerds, non-threatening black professionals and discreetly sexy milfs will be hanging out in each other's kitchens playing with balloons and Windows 7.

If a bunch of new Apple hardware is ready, Tuesday, October 20 would be a great time to introduce it. The tech press would cover it all that week and take the wind out of MS sails.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

If a bunch of new Apple hardware is ready, Tuesday, October 20 would be a great time to introduce it. The tech press would cover it all that week and take the wind out of MS sails.

With the Apple Quarterly call scheduled for Oct 19, I think Oct 19th or 20th would be a reasonable announcement expectation.

and it does seem as if it would be a Win 7 news stealer as well.

(esp given that Win 7 releases on Oct 22, & is the Win OS that XP users have really been waiting for.

(I admit, as I work with both Mac and PC -- I just like the Mac more .
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

I have a 20" iMac G5 - just got it this week, actually - and I think it's probably the nicest looking piece of technology in my entire home. Chin and all.

Congrats on your new (to you) G5 iMac; I gave mine to my sister and bought a refurbed 24" Intel iMac earlier this year. But I must say, I thought the chin on the white G5 was more pronounced than the one on the aluminum version (which instead has the 'raccoon eye' screen treatment.) It didn't specifically bother me, but I would just as soon see them all disappear.

At the current trend of miniaturization (has an iPhone surpassed a Cray-1 in compute power yet?) there's no reason to expose anything to the user except the display itself and I/O ports, if the 'internals' shrink to zero. And I think that's the direction that Jobs & Ive have been heading since 2000.