Apple resellers advised of 2-3 week delay on Mac mini orders

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

With the Apple Quarterly call scheduled for Oct 19, I think Oct 19th or 20th would be a reasonable announcement expectation.

Why not announce on the 22nd then? Apple has far less to lose with an overshadowed iMac/Mini refresh than Microsoft with their bet-the-farm Windows upgrade. And hardware announcements are almost always shinier and sexier than software.

I would love to see Apple announce new products on the 22nd. Ballmer's colostomy bag would explode!
  • Reply 42 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, a gentleman lets his body go and the same thing happens, what does it remind you of?

Dunlap or DickieDo. Yea, didn't think of it but it does look like 64% of all of us...
  • Reply 43 of 58
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Congrats on your new (to you) G5 iMac; I gave mine to my sister and bought a refurbed 24" Intel iMac earlier this year. But I must say, I thought the chin on the white G5 was more pronounced than the one on the aluminum version (which instead has the 'raccoon eye' screen treatment.) It didn't specifically bother me, but I would just as soon see them all disappear.

At the current trend of miniaturization (has an iPhone surpassed a Cray-1 in compute power yet?) there's no reason to expose anything to the user except the display itself and I/O ports, if the 'internals' shrink to zero. And I think that's the direction that Jobs & Ive have been heading since 2000.

Even all-in-one PCs from other manufacturers such as the HP TouchSmart have chins. And in my humble opinion, my 5 year old iMac still looks more aesthetically pleasing than they do.

By way of observation, those HP TouchSmarts are at around the same pricepoint as the current iMac lineup.

I just have to laugh when people say "well I can get a desktop Windows PC tower and monitor for a fraction of the price of an iMac" when it's not even an accurate comparison.
  • Reply 44 of 58
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

and it does seem as if it would be a Win 7 news stealer as well.

(esp given that Win 7 releases on Oct 22, & is the Win OS that XP users have really been waiting for.

And would you call that a Win-Win situation? Are those groans I hear?
  • Reply 45 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

No chin would be cool but where would the inards go? But the chin loss would definitely mean no more racoon black eye- yech.

There going Smiley face bottom like a Mazda grill.
  • Reply 46 of 58
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

Why not announce on the 22nd then? Apple has far less to lose with an overshadowed iMac/Mini refresh than Microsoft with their bet-the-farm Windows upgrade. And hardware announcements are almost always shinier and sexier than software.

I would love to see Apple announce new products on the 22nd. Ballmer's colostomy bag would explode!

Then Steve Jobs could issue a statement explaining that they meant to release it on the 23rd, but accidentally did it on the 22nd due to a rounding error.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

And would you call that a Win-Win situation? Are those groans I hear?

Double points! Put a Pun in a Pun! May your english teacher be very proud!

(Seriously, that was good.)
  • Reply 48 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Then Steve Jobs could issue a statement explaining that they meant to release it on the 23rd, but accidentally did it on the 22nd due to a rounding error.

• Reply 49 of 58
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Apple doesn't care about Windows 7. It poses little threat to the buying binge the new machines will bring.

They are far more likely to preannounce something on October 6th, to draw attention away from the first credible attack on iTunes.

That is something that would get their attention.
  • Reply 50 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Apple doesn't care about Windows 7. It poses little threat to the buying binge the new machines will bring.

They are far more likely to preannounce something on October 6th, to draw attention away from the first credible attack on iTunes.

Interesting new product, doubletwist (I was not aware of it till now - but then, I don't have gobs of mobile devices...). Thx.

I do like their Escher-esque logo design...

I don't think Apple needs to worry short term. However, over the long haul, some of their concepts 'ought' to be considered/worked with/incorporated by Apple... JMO.

P.S. if the Mac improvements are significant enough, re CPU, GPU, memory and the like, I might be part of that 'binge' for a new Mac Mini or low-to-mid 'Book or iMac... (my Christmas wish list groweth)
  • Reply 51 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

That's pretty neat. Very Microsoft like too. Without a major store behind it though I don't see it as a threat to iTunes (yet).
  • Reply 52 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Double points! Put a Pun in a Pun! May your english teacher be very proud!

(Seriously, that was good.)

Thanks, Xwiredtva, I am an English teacher. I also write a word game called, "A Pun My Word."
  • Reply 53 of 58
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

As soon as the majority of software companies start releasing software on SD cards, I'd be all for that. But I wouldn't want to have to use an external optical drive with a Mac Mini. Kind of defeats the purpose of getting a desktop machine with such a small form factor, IMO.

True enough. If Apple ditched the optical drive they'd surely have OSX on an SD though. The App store for Mac is coming I tell ya.

The the freed-up space they could add some HDMI ports. I'd really love an AppleTV/Mac Mini hybrid.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    Quote:

Thanks, Xwiredtva, I am an English teacher. I also write a word game called, "A Pun My Word."

I've always been fond of puns and similar word-play; a good 'un can 'Mac' my day...

OK, so it's a stretch.

Anyway, point being (do I have one?) that it's good to maintain a sense of humor and lightness as we discuss the tech topics. So carry on.
  • Reply 55 of 58
    Quote:

It is because of folks like you that I enjoy this forum so much, the majority of the conversations over at mr are infantile and a waste of bandwidth.

Also, please feel free to correct my posts for grammar and content mistakes. God knows my poor writing abilities gave all of my English teachers a fit. I still feel bad about them having to read and grade my papers.
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

It is because of folks like you that I enjoy this forum so much, the majority of the conversations over at mr are infantile and a waste of bandwidth.

Also, please feel free to correct my posts for grammar and content mistakes. God knows my poor writing abilities gave all of my English teachers a fit. I still feel bad about them having to read and grade my papers.

Thanks for the kudos. If enough AI members are interested, I'll post some of my word game on Apple Outsider.

I enjoy AI because members like Marvin, Mel Gross, and more than a dozen others are SO gifted technically, very knowledgeable, and willing to help technically challenged bumblers like me that I can use my Macs without feeling like I'm adrift at sea. These people are awesome and deserve a lot of credit. They are the unsung heroes of this forum. They are NOT the ones who flame and bash other members who state their opinions, however crude or misinformed .

This may be the wrong thread to do so, but I'd like to hear who you other AI members think have helped you the most. You've received their largesse; let them know you appreciate it.

Moderators: Please, move this post to the appropriate forum. Thanks.

BTW, there were no errors in your post. Either that or your compliments blinded me.
  • Reply 57 of 58
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Awww - Group Hug!
  • Reply 58 of 58
    I guess there are no updates on the new replacement machines situation since last week?

For my own testing, I put a Mac Mini into my Apple shopping cart and note that, as of yesterday (10/06, 6pm PT US), and same today (Wed 10/07, 5pm), it is displaying that there will be a delay of "Ships: 3-5 business days".

So it is a longer delay than my first test last week, which showed 1-3 days delay, and certainly longer than the usual of 'ships within 24 hours'.

So I guess maybe...
    (Wednesday + (3 to 5 business days), carry the one, take square root of pi, check the weather...)
    Next week sometime for new machines?

P.S. I do hope they bump up the standard RAM of the base mini from the ridiculously meager 1GB today, up to at least 2GB (maybe even make 4 GB the starting RAM point across the board, since all other Mac models currently start with at least 2 GB, and some even start with 4 GB).