Apple plans Mighty Mouse makeover

Comments

• Reply 81 of 164
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Mac users are by nature much more selective. We CHOOSE a Macintosh. We won't accept whatever is shoved into our faces, or elsewhere.

That was the old way of the Mac. Taking whatever they feel like we should have is the new way.
  • Reply 82 of 164
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    Mighty Mouse is one of Apple's poorly designed products. The scroll ball gets squirrelly when a speck of dust casts its shadow on it but worse than that is the unreliability of the right click. Sometimes it works, sometimes it functions as a left click. The best mouse I've ever used on a Mac is a product with the unwieldy name "The Mouse" by MacMice. Didn't have the screwy right click and looked right at home next to a Mac.
  • Reply 83 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by star-fish View Post

The problem - as always with Apple - is lack of choice. Too much of a control freak to allow many developers or support many ideas, and yet now it's growing more than ever, it's going to have massive difficulties keeping full control over everything. I predict there will just be more problems. The approval, presentation and pricing of apps is very flawed, because Apple has never worked closely enough with third parties before. And because there is so much focus on things like iphones and ipods at the moment, other important products get neglected.

Apple works differently than other companies and their design philosophy reflects that.

Macs have historically included every port necessary so that you can ADD third-party peripherals to "complete" your system as YOU desire.

Why build in something that only a small percentage of users will use, when that function can be added simply and easily with the purchase of a $25 peripheral?

That's why Apple doesn't build in a bunch of marginally useful ports and such.

The opposite of that philosophy is exactly why so many Windows laptops come festooned with a zillion bells, lights, whistles, buttons and ports and tend to be MUCH thicker and heavier than Mac laptops, or the iMac for that matter. If I only need a thing sometimes or ever, why would I want to not only pay for it, but also lug it around everywhere I go?

With Apple's small market share it makes a lot of sense and which is why Apple's product line is small and focussed.
  • Reply 84 of 164
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

but worse than that is the unreliability of the right click. Sometimes it works, sometimes it functions as a left click.

That happens if you don't lift your index finger up when doing a right click.
  • Reply 85 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

That was the old way of the Mac. Taking whatever they feel like we should have is the new way.

It's never changed. And it's exactly the same as far as the shitty Apple mice go.

The last good mouse Apple made was the old ADB Mouse.
  • Reply 86 of 164
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I want a fixed scroll ball please, other then that the mouse is already perfect. Maybe get rid of having to lift your finger to right click.

Please don't turn turn the mouse into a multitouch pad though, i would be pretty pissed if that happened.
  • Reply 87 of 164
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Wow, this is a hot(-mouse)-button issue!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just find a mouse that has the features we want and use that?

Wait...we can do that?
  • Reply 88 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

The quicker they replace that shitty clog-ball the better.

Dude.

First things first. I actually JUST registered on the AppleInsider forum SO THAT I could leave this reply for you.

It's like an hour later and I'm still catching myself snickering under my breath muttering "shitty clog-ball" under my breath.

Genius. That's totally been added to my lexicon. I'm confident it will be used by me too much very soon. "Shitty clog-ball."

I'm gonna learn to play an instrument JUST so I can start a band called "Shitty clog-ball."

I could go on and on. Sufficed to say, thank you for brightening my day with the shitty clog-ball.

Fuckin' genius.

RH
  • Reply 89 of 164
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by technohermit View Post

That would be fantasic.

I hope it has at least four buttons so you could set macros to mouse-clicks. I would rather play games on my MBP than my Mini, strictly because of the arrow keys and trackpad. If we could get a trackpad USB with between four and six buttons, that would greatly improve my relationship with my Mini. I have a 5-button scroll wheel MS mouse on the mini now, which is pretty good, but not as nice as the trackpad.

I say 6 buttons because I would like to see right/left click, as well as arrow keys, or macro the other keys to be certain keyboard functions. Gestures are spectacular, but button clicks could make it the best thing ever.

I don't think you get what charlituna is suggesting.
  • Reply 90 of 164
    The average IQ of AI forum members just lowered a few points.
  • Reply 91 of 164
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

IQ tests can't correctly measure intelligence. Intelligence comes in difference forms.
  • Reply 92 of 164
    Quote:

Since you joined, of course.

• Reply 93 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

IQ tests can't correctly measure intelligence. Intelligence comes in difference forms.

Indeed. I can color inside the lines, for instance.
  • Reply 94 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Since you joined, of course.

Zing!
  • Reply 95 of 164
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel24 View Post

Yep, and most of them are utter crap, just like 95% of the PC world's keyboards, monitors... The days of quality peripherals and accessories have all but disappeared.

Have you ever used a Logitech or Microsoft mouse/keyboard, especially recent ones? They are in fact quite nice to use. I own a Logitech G11 keyboard and a Microsoft Sidewinder X8 mouse and have no complaints. In fact, the mouse table in this article depicts the X8, all the way to the right. It feels like butter in my hand. Much better than the MM, and Logitech's keyboards are far better than the flat slab of aluminum that Apple offers, IMO.
  • Reply 96 of 164
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Indeed. I can color inside the lines, for instance.

You see, you have great dexterity.
  • Reply 97 of 164
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

The classiest input device I've ever held in my hand, absolutely impractical, though.

(Ummm... Indeed. We all were black, like Steve, in those distant days.)

not MJ.

• Reply 98 of 164
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

Have you ever used a Logitech or Microsoft mouse/keyboard, especially recent ones? They are in fact quite nice to use. I own a Logitech G11 keyboard and a Microsoft Sidewinder X8 mouse and have no complaints. In fact, the mouse table in this article depicts the X8, all the way to the right. It feels like butter in my hand. Much better than the MM, and Logitech's keyboards are far better than the flat slab of aluminum that Apple offers, IMO.

I like Apples keyboards, I like the button spacing and the short keystroke required. I use one with my PC. The Mighty Mouse is foreign to me, but based on what I've heard about it, that is a good thing. For me to consider any mouse now, it has to have something like logitechs "frictionless" scroll wheel. I can't live without that thing.
  • Reply 99 of 164
    woodewoode Posts: 67member
    I'm glad to see this, because while the scroll ball on the Mighty Mouse was a great idea, its implementation was UTTER FAIL. They have not been good in a work environment at all. Good riddance!
  • Reply 100 of 164
    I have never been able to stand either the puck or mighty mouse. I Went with a trackball years ago and have never looked back.

How can a company that has done such good things with the trackpad produce such a poor mouse? Well, at least it is good for logitech and kensington. Maybe Apple has shares.