iTunes, Burning a CD....no titles

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited February 2014
How come when I burn a cd in iTunes, it doesn't show the song name or artist after the cd is done burning? Is there a way to burn a cd so this information is included?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Sounds like either...

1: You haven't got a connection to the internet while ripping (itunes accesses Gracenote CDDB over internet connection to get album and song info).

2: In Preferences, make sure you have checked the options under Importing - create file names with track number ... and under Advanced - keep iTunes music folder organized.

Or, if you mean CD Text (track info and album name is displayed on CD players that support this function) this is currently not supported under iTunes (Toast can rip CD Text info if thats what you need).

Hope that may answer your question.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

How come when I burn a cd in iTunes, it doesn't show the song name or artist after the cd is done burning? Is there a way to burn a cd so this information is included?

I was in a hurry when I wrote the above, so to clarify... yes I do have access to internet, etc. What I mean is when a burned cd is done, and it shows up in itunes to be played from the cd, it just says track 1, track 2, track 3, etc. and it doesn't list the artist either. All of the songs I burned all have this information. So, I don't know why it does this?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Hmmm, what version of iTunes are you using? Seems odd that you don't get any CD info after a burn if it's already showing up post rip.

Check your prefs as recommended.

Also, check if you have "copy files to music folder when adding to library" selected under prefs, that may help. iTunes needs a copy of the playlist as a reference for CDs that you have previously made (even if you delete the files from a particular playlist/album, info for that playlist still remains).
  • Reply 4 of 28
    I understand the issue as the same thing happens to me.

When I insert a new CD to import, the track titles are collected from the internet. All my music has full titles etc. When I drag an album to the sidebar it creates a playlist with all the correct titles.

But when I burn that playlist, once the CD is finished and appears in the sidebar it is called Audio CD with no track titles. I can usually do a get track info and see the titles, but I usually have no need to do this.

It seems odd that iTunes does not keep a record of the title and track names for CDs it burns (even if only mix CDs), but it appears not to. I have the same thing happen in OS X and Windows XP. iTunes 4.6 on both.

Cheers
  • Reply 5 of 28
    The track information is not burned onto the CD. iTunes uses CDDB to gather information to view on the screen. When you burn a mix CD that information is not burned on the the cd with the audio track. If you burn an exact copy you might be able to get CDDB to recognize it (try Get CD Track Names in the Advanced window.) CDDB works by gathering information about the CD then comparing that to it's database. SO a mix CD would obviously not be in it's database.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by adamr

I understand the issue as the same thing happens to me.

When I insert a new CD to import, the track titles are collected from the internet. All my music has full titles etc. When I drag an album to the sidebar it creates a playlist with all the correct titles.

But when I burn that playlist, once the CD is finished and appears in the sidebar it is called Audio CD with no track titles. I can usually do a get track info and see the titles, but I usually have no need to do this.

It seems odd that iTunes does not keep a record of the title and track names for CDs it burns (even if only mix CDs), but it appears not to. I have the same thing happen in OS X and Windows XP. iTunes 4.6 on both.

Cheers

I think that is really the only flaw in iTunes that I can see. It only seems obvious that is should work, otherwise, it is a pain to listen to a mix cd on iTunes. My guess is it isn't easy to fix, or they would have by now?
  • Reply 7 of 28
    There are two issues here.

1. Whether iTunes should automatically and immediately recognise a copy of a complete album.

2. Whether iTunes should keep a record of the tracks on a mix CD so that the next time it is inserted it is recognised.

Naturally, unless CD Text is used there is no way to recognise tracks on mix CDs produced on other machines. However, I expect that Apple could implement no. 1 with no trouble. No. 2 is a policy decision about whether to record the details of every mix CD created.

I guess the storage requirements of doing so would be minimal, so I vote to add these functions.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It's simple. iTunes can't burn the track names. Why? Because Apple is stupid. They haven't added CD-TEXT support to iTunes. Which can't be that hard. I was hoping it would make iTunes...2...Oh well, maybe 5.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    This is such a huge issue with everyone I know. It must frustrate music enthusiasts everywhere, it certainly does me. If i-tunes can rip and burn, how can it not keep song names? If Itunes burned it, it should be able to read it. Could this possibly be intentional? (The same way of not being able to put Ipod songs back into your computer?) Is there a name for this to transfer metadata information on audion cds? Does anyone offer any outside software to remedy this? Are all mp3 software afflicted with such malfeasance? We are already at 7.02 and this is still not addressed? And incedently, why does Itunes frequently ask if you want to upgrade to the latest version when you already have?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    You can use software like Roxio's Toast to burn CDs with CD-TEXT info, but... you're screwed if you want to burn any iTunes Store purchases using Toast, because music with DRM can only be burned using iTunes.

What's weird about the OP's complaint is that I've burned mix CDs using iTunes, which I know don't have any CD-TEXT, nor can they be recognized by CDDB, yet when I put those CDs back into my Mac -- as long as it's the same Mac I burned the CD on in the first place -- I do get disc and track titles.

I assume that (at least for me!) iTunes knows how to recognize the CDs it has burned, in much the same way that CDDB recognizes a disc by the pattern of track durations, and keeps an internal database of the track titles for those CDs.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    So apple has finally solved this issue. In the preferences you can go to the burning section and check include CD text. as of version 7.6 at least.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    wow; great first post! thanks for the heads up; I checked that box right away. four year old thread, just amazing that someone found this issue and posted a response! haha. nice!
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xoote View Post

Thanks. I been having this problem and didnt even know where to start look

Hm, it's weird cuz eventhough I've got that box ticked in my preferrences, I still don't get any track info on the CD's I've burnt in Itunes...

Thing is I go to the hassle of burning the songs I've bought and re-importing them as mp3s because of a very simple issue. The tracks are protected AAC files, and those aren't recognised by most digital djing programs. Meaning that I have to convert the music I've bought (and have a right to play around with, i.e. mix for my own personal use) to mp3 so taht I can use them in say Serato.

So...basically if you love music (like me) and tend to go on occasional itunes shopping sprees...then you kinda get pissed off when you spend like 4 hours to burn and re-import your music...

any ideas on what could be the issue with my itunes?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    quarloquarlo Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadrix View Post

Hm, it's weird cuz eventhough I've got that box ticked in my preferrences, I still don't get any track info on the CD's I've burnt in Itunes...

Not that it'll do either of us any good, but I have the same problem. Windoze version 7.7 with "CD Text" option enabled and still no titles or artists' names. What *really* chaps my hide is when I forget to change a rip directory and "Track 1" overlays "Track 1" that I have yet to rename and move elsewhere. WTF??
  • Reply 15 of 28
    I guess only a few of us are "special" enough to continue getting *ZERO* track info on export even with CD Text enabled and the latest software. Great.
  • Reply 16 of 28

• Reply 17 of 28
    "Is there any way around this other than to abort the whole concept and use an app like Toast?"

In my long and painful experience, the answer is "NO". Welcome to what appears to be a very exclusive club. No real impetus from Apple to investigate/fix the issue, either.

• Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunn.hatani View Post

So apple has finally solved this issue. In the preferences you can go to the burning section and check include CD text. as of version 7.6 at least.

I'm running the most recent version of itunes on windows vista machine....came across this discussion yesterday while trying to solve problem of no titles on CD...looked for your solution but preferences only brings up "general, playback, sharing, store, parental, apple tv, devices, advanced". No where do i see a tab called Burning.

I also looked on a mac and couldn't find it....am I missing something?

Thanks
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbernikow View Post

I'm running the most recent version of itunes on windows vista machine....came across this discussion yesterday while trying to solve problem of no titles on CD...looked for your solution but preferences only brings up "general, playback, sharing, store, parental, apple tv, devices, advanced". No where do i see a tab called Burning.

I also looked on a mac and couldn't find it....am I missing something?

Thanks

The option is in the dialog box that opens after you click the "burn" button.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The option is in the dialog box that opens after you click the "burn" button.

found it.....works great...thanks so much