Apple ads hint at thinner iMacs, lighter MacBooks, cheaper Mac minis

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
First on AppleInsider: A trio of online advertisements that appear to have been published prematurely by one of Apple's international online stores suggest it's only a matter of days before the Mac maker takes the wraps off of new families of ultra-thin iMacs, lighter & thinner plastic MacBooks, and more affordable Mac minis [Updated with other countries].

The Netherlands-based Google Ad Sense ads, which can be seen below along with their Dutch to English translations, cropped up on Google.nl earlier this weekend and direct shoppers to the localized version of the Apple Store, where the advertised products are not available.

Assuming the ads were indeed commissioned by Cupertino-based Apple, they'd corroborate a series of forward looking hardware reports first published by AppleInsider over the past several months. These include expectations of thinner iMacs, redesigned polycarbonate MacBooks with thinner, sleeker enclosures, and speed-bumped Mac minis.

The new offerings are also expected to be accompanied by redesigns of the company's Mighty Mouse and Apple Remote, as well as aluminum wireless keyboards.

In recent weeks, Apple has informed its direct and indirect sales channels of constraints on MacBooks, iMacs, and Mac minis. Many of the company's resellers are also sold out of iMacs and Mac minis and have been given restocking estimates of October 7th and 9th for those two products, respectively, suggesting a formal announcement regarding these Mac hardware refreshes could come as early as this Tuesday.

Some Apple retail stores also reportedly received new signage in the past 48 hours that's not to be opened or displayed until further notice.

MacBook

Dutch: Apple's Nieuwste MacBook. Dunner, lichter en krachtiger! Gratis bezorging. Bestel vandaag.

English: Apple's Newest MacBook. Thinner, lighter and faster! Free delivery. Order today.

iMac

Dutche Splinternieuwe iMac. Ultradunne 20 & 24 inch modellen. Vanaf slechts €1099. Apple Store

English: The Brand new iMac. Ultra Thin 20 & 24 inch models. From only € 1099. Apple Store

Mac mini

Dutch: Apple's Nieuwe Mac Mini. Sneller en betaalbaarder dan ooit. Vanaf slechts €499. Bestel meteen.

English: Apple's New Mac Mini. Faster and more affordable than ever. From only € 499. Order immediately.

Note: The cheapest Mac mini currently sells for € 599 on the Netherlands online store.

Update: An ad for the new iMac can also be found via a search on the Italian Google Web site at a price of 1099 €. In addition references to a "new white MacBook" can be found on the German and Austrian sites.

For more on Apple's forthcoming Mac hardware refreshes, please see:

Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line

Apple close to unveiling all-new MacBook line

Apple plans Mighty Mouse makeover

Apple to retain, redesign plastic MacBook family

Apple resellers advised of 2-3 week delay on Mac mini orders

Apple warns of near-term iMac, Mac mini constraints

Apple's next iMacs rumored with compelling new features

Apple may extend antiglare display option to more Macs

Briefly: more affordable iMacs from Apple expected by fall

Apple to introduce more affordable Macs, sources say

Comments

• Reply 1 of 177
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Stronger? Is the Macbook getting unibody?
  • Reply 2 of 177
    I really hope the redesign includes the ugly-ass aluminum enclosures. I hate the look of the current iMacs, and hope the new ones don't look exactly the same.
  • Reply 3 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mac mini

Dutch: Sneller en betaalbaarder dan ooit. Vanaf slechts ?499. Bestel meteen.

English: Faster and more affordable than ever. From only ? 499. Order immediately.

How much does the Mac mini sell for now in the Netherlands?
  • Reply 4 of 177
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

599 and 799 Euros.
  • Reply 5 of 177
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Quote:

599 Euros which is equal to $873. (for the low end)
  • Reply 6 of 177
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Carbon Composite is more likely. They've been experimenting with that as a case option for about two years now.
  • Reply 7 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winter View Post

599 Euros which is equal to $873. (for the low end)

That's an absurd price, but I assume it includes taxes.

Hopefully we'll see the mini in the US drop to $499.
  • Reply 8 of 177
    Quote:

I forgot to mention my source of conversion is xe.com
  • Reply 9 of 177
    These will fly off the shelves.

You can never be too dunne!
  • Reply 10 of 177

Translation of the ad:

Mac Mini has an even faster NVIDIA graphics processor now, it can easily run the newest 3D-games and demanding graphical applications...

Mac Mini will get a new graphics card as well, hello even more perfect HTPC?
  • Reply 11 of 177
    Quote:

MacBook

Dutch: Apple's Nieuwste MacBook. Dunner, lichter en krachtiger! Gratis bezorging. Bestel vandaag.

English: Apple's Newest MacBook. Thinner, lighter and stronger! Free delivery. Order today.

So "cheaper" isn't mentioned?

Quote:

iMac

Dutche Splinternieuwe iMac. Ultradunne 20 & 24 inch modellen. Vanaf slechts ?1099. Apple Store

English: The Brand new iMac. Ultra Thin 20 & 24 inch models. From only ? 1099. Apple Store

So that Whirlpool forums guy was off after all?
  • Reply 12 of 177
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    Not sure I see the point in a thinner iMac. It's hard enough to keep it cool as it is now and if they want to put more powerful processors and GPUs inside, how will they keep it cool?
  • Reply 13 of 177
    Interior - Perhaps they're adding the 9600GT with 9400M?
  • Reply 14 of 177
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

I really hope the redesign includes the ugly-ass aluminum enclosures. I hate the look of the current iMacs, and hope the new ones don't look exactly the same.

i'm with you on that one. i was hoping to get used to the look, but i never have. especially the back of the iMac... ugly ass is right!
  • Reply 15 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Winter View Post

Interior - Perhaps they're adding the 9600GT with 9400M?

Quite possible, only thing I'd be concerned about is the possible heat in such a small device.
  • Reply 16 of 177
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

Not sure I see the point in a thinner iMac. It's hard enough to keep it cool as it is now and if they want to put more powerful processors and GPUs inside, how will they keep it cool?

Thinner doesn't automatically equal harder to cool. There may be less air around a thing but air is not the only way to cool. e.g. copper pipes
  • Reply 17 of 177
    My wish list for the new iMac:

User-upgradable hard drive without tearing the computer apart

Express 34 slot or eSATA port

Free Affy Tapple since it's October

TMV
  • Reply 18 of 177
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Knowing Swedish and German I think "lichter en krachtiger" sounds more like "lighter and more powerful". Krachtiger sounds like "kraftigare" in Swedish, that means "more powerful", "more muscular" or "more capable" etc.

Makes sense to move everything to unibody though I don't think that's what they're saying in the ads.
  • Reply 19 of 177
    t_kt_k Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Interior View Post

Translation of the ad:

Mac Mini has an even faster NVIDIA graphics processor now, it can easily run the newest 3D-games and demanding graphical applications...

Mac Mini will get a new graphics card as well, hello even more perfect HTPC?

You've actually translated the current description, not the ad...
  • Reply 20 of 177
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

I think European prices include all taxes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

There's the LED angle.