Apple ads hint at thinner iMacs, lighter MacBooks, cheaper Mac minis

Comments

• Reply 41 of 177
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Well the iMac Air post is interesting.

Shame I have no interest in a thinner, less featured iMac. For a desktop machine, I don't care if it is 1",1.5", 2" or 3" deep (with a curved back to disguise the depth). I care about CPU power, graphical power, memory capacity and expandability and storage capacity.

This just makes me think we're getting a slim iMac with a 2.5" hard drive (lower capacity), low-power CPU and slower graphics.

On the other hand, it doesn't preclude an upgrade of the iMac, because the iMac Air would be a new product line.
  • Reply 42 of 177
    gnnonignnoni Posts: 27member
    In spanish googleads, it talks about "iMac Air"

Tienda Apple Mac Oficial (store.apple.com/es/imac)

Configura tu iMac Air aquÃ*. ¡Ahora incluye Mac OS Snow Leopard!

Set your iMac Air here. Now includes Mac OS Snow Leopard!
  • Reply 43 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jraffin View Post

Hi

In Spain in google.es, I have checked they advertised the new Imac as IMAC Air.

There is 2 ads. In the one they advertised it as the new Imac Air and in another one they advertised a new starting price of 1003€ when at the moment the starting price is 1099€

HEre is the copy of the ad

Tienda Apple Mac Oficial

store.apple.com/es/imac Configura tu iMac Air aquÃ*. ¡Ahora incluye Mac OS Snow Leopard!

It looks there is no a long time to wait!!!

Adios from España!!

I checked and I see "Configura tu iMac aquÃ*. ¡Ahora incluye Mac OS Snow Leopard!" without an "Air" mention. Plus the current starting price is 1079€ (the other ad does say 1003€).

However, if there is an "iMac Air," that can explain the use of dual-core and thinner design as a distinction between the iMac Air and a more powerful (quad-core, like that Whirlpool poster) "regular" iMac.
  • Reply 44 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themightyviking View Post

My wish list for the new iMac:

User-upgradable hard drive without tearing the computer apart

Express 34 slot or eSATA port

eSATA is not powered, is seldom used and Apple has shown no interest in supporting in the Mac Pro, where it would likely get used the most, so expecting it now in the iMac seems unlikely.

E34 is designed primarily for mobile computing and Apple dropped it because?as they stated? the usage was too low. Inclusion on the iMac seems less likely than eSATA.

If they move the HDD to the bottom so you can pop it out like can the RAM, that would be great, but of course that depends on other engineering demands.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Two reasons: The use of LED displays and the possibly smaller internal components (i.e. 1.8" drives and/or getting rid of optical drives altogether and going for SD). Apple tossed the floppy drive with the first iMac so why not toss the optical or make it optional. Thinner == better.

I don?t know how much an LED backlight will thin out the iMac over the current backlight. I also can?t see a 1.8? HDD in the machine.

Making an internal optical drive optional help make the case smaller. Only making it external does Apple save some space, but the desktops should be the very last machines to even consider having the optical drive removed. Notebooks first where weight, size and port-side space is extra important.

If SD comes to the entire desktop line and the rest of the notebook line then it?s my belief that Apple will be using it for OS installs in the future. This would mean the eventual removal of the optical drive altogether as internal component starting with the notebooks, then moving to the small desktops. I see no reason for the Mac Pro to loose the internal optical drive slots for many, many years.
  • Reply 45 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMacmatician View Post

However, if there is an "iMac Air," that can explain the use of dual-core and thinner design as a distinction between the iMac Air and a more powerful (quad-core, like that Whirlpool poster) "regular" iMac.

That is an interesting idea. I can see how the MBA could have a niche market, but would the MBA be the desktop market for that same essential niche clientele. Portability is an important factor to many so the performance of the MBA becomes less of an issue, but with a desktop I am having trouble seeing how that could be true.
  • Reply 46 of 177
    All this conjecture....do we love our Mac's that much! Yes!
  • Reply 47 of 177
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I'm sure that all products will get at least moderate boosts. It will obviously not be to many of our exact specifications (hell not by a long shot), though perhaps it can coincide to some degree with all the physical design they're changing.
  • Reply 48 of 177
    My wish for the new iMac...

30" Screen, sans super drive, ergo super 'thin' less expensive! The 2 times a year i want to burn a CD or DVD, I'll pull out the MBA external drive. The rest of the year, I will keep it in a box,

3GS iPnone

MBA with glass track pad

30" iMac (as described above)

A white 2010 Prius (to place the white Apple stick on logo on)

A new Apple iTab'let

A 2 gig Apple Time Capsule

AppleTV to rent movies

and I'm good to go!

Regards!
  • Reply 49 of 177
    If iMacs can only handle a 55 watt CPU, I think the following Intel CPUs are possible candidates for the new iMac.

They're from the Clarksfield lineup and may be comparable in performance to the top of the line Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9300, released in 2008.

Intel Core i7 720QM - 4 cores/8 threads @ 1.6 GHz - with TurboBurst to 2.8 GHz - 6MB cache -- TDP 45W - price per 1000 -- $364

Intel Core i7 820QM - 4 cores/8 threads @ 1.73 GHz - with TurboBurst to 3.06 GHz - 8MB cache -- TDP 55W - price per 1000 -- $546

Intel Core i7 920XM - 4 cores/8 threads @ 2.0 GHz - with TurboBurst to 3.2 GHz - 8MB cache -- TDP 55W - price per 1000 -- $1054

The last processor is currently Intel's fastest mobile processor.

From what I can gather given the excess of Intel processors, I guess I would be satisfied with this, though I'd rather they include an i7 860 which outperforms it, but unfortunately has a TDP of 95 W, yet has a significantly lower price of under $300. Who knows what Apple has planned, but I still wish they would just create an aluminum enclosure sized similarly to a PC ATX Mid Tower and name it the Mac Pro Mini. Sure it will eat into the Mac Pro sales, but it will just be a lower tier of components found in the Mac Pro. Oh, and while I'm dreaming, an ATI Radeon HD 5850 or 5870, since the nVidia Fermi won't be available until 2010.

I don't know about the pricing of the processors, though I did find out that Alienware is selling their M15x laptop series with options for each of the above processors, though they appear to be charging a $168 and $260 premium over their presumed cost for the processor upgrades (which Apple will undoubtedly

copy).

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/alienware-m15x

I know I'm going to be comparing the price of the new iMac with Dell's XPS laptops just to see if the pricing of the new iMac is fair.

In any case, I hope the processor model in the new iMac is clearly spelled out.

My iMac wish list -- i7 860 processor, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5850, Blu-Ray, Matte screen option, USB 3.0 (or eSATA)

BTW, an Intel Core i7 860 has 4 cores/8 threads @ 2.80 GHz - with TurboBurst to 3.46 GHz - 8MB cache - TDP 95W - price per 1000 -- $284 (!)

An Intel Core i5 750 has 4 cores/4 threads @ 2.66GHz - with TurboBurst to 3.20 GHz - 8MB cache - TDP 95W - price per 1000 -- $196

One site says that the i7 860 is a better performer than the current Mac Pro's single Xeon W3520 @ 2.66GHz.

Given the higher speed and hyper-threading of the i7 860, it seems that the current and future use of Snow Leopard's Grand Central Dispatch make it a better long term buy than the i5 750, though the performance is fairly close. OpenCL probably will have more of an impact with system performance, though I haven't read much about how this will work out.

I really think with the prices of the i7 820QM & i7 920XM (and their comparison to the above specs of the i7 860) it is all the more reason for Apple to 'Think Different' and reassess the need for a more cost effective 'Mac Pro Mini'.
  • Reply 50 of 177
    innoinno Posts: 2member
    I am literally waiting on the specs of this refresh to decide what to buy this fall.

I would definitely bite a quad core iMac with gfx at the ATI 4xxx level (like the current optional high end gfx choice). I could also go for a 4 core mini and pop a SSD in it to make up for its weaker areas... *if* the gfx really were greatly improved.

However, if there isn't a quad core option for either line in this refresh, I am going to be pretty disappointed and would have to look at building a PC.

Edit:

Looking back over the posts a little closer, I *really* hope that these new iMacs just happen to be thinner due to overall design improvements secondary to the main changes. If they are similar in spec to the current models and just thinner, they've lost me, to be honest. How much I care about an iMac being thinner wouldn't fill a thimble.
  • Reply 51 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

If iMacs can only handle a 55 watt CPU, I think the following CPUs are possible candidates for the new iMac.

Intel Core i7 720QM - 4 cores/8 threads @ 1.6 GHz - with TurboBurst to 2.8 GHz 6MB cache -- TDP - price per 1000 $

Intel Core i7 820QM - 4 cores/8 threads @ 1.73 GHz - with TurboBurst to 3.06 GHz

mobile CPU (Clarksfield)

Based on the Intel Nehalem microarchitecture. All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST), Intel 64, XD bit (an NX bit implementation), TXT, Intel VT, Hyper-Threading, Turbo Boost, Smart Cache

Intel® CoreTMi7 (FCPGA8)

— i7-920XM (8M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 2.00 GHz, TDP 55W) - $1,054

— i7-820QM (8M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 1.73 GHz, TDP 45W) - $546

— i7-720QM (6M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 1.60 GHz, TDP 45W) - $364
  • Reply 52 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Based on the Intel Nehalem microarchitecture. All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST), Intel 64, XD bit (an NX bit implementation), TXT, Intel VT, Hyper-Threading, Turbo Boost, Smart Cache

Intel® CoreTMi7 (FCPGA8)

— i7-920XM (8M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 2.00 GHz, TDP 55W) - $1,054

— i7-820QM (8M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 1.73 GHz, TDP 45W) - $546

— i7-720QM (6M L2 cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads, 1.60 GHz, TDP 45W) - $364

Sorry, I accidentally submitted the post.....
  • Reply 53 of 177
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

and matte screens.

...and a pony!
  • Reply 54 of 177
    Honestly, the iMacs are great computers already, and I can't wait for this next update. But without a matte or anti-glare option, I will never buy it.

It's fantastic for all of you who love or can tolerate the glossy screen. But for those of us who don't, it's unfortunate that the option is not there yet.
  • Reply 55 of 177
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

Not sure I see the point in a thinner iMac. It's hard enough to keep it cool as it is now and if they want to put more powerful processors and GPUs inside, how will they keep it cool?

Latest solid aluminum MacBook I have is way cooler than the less powerful thicker one I had before ... It can be done.
  • Reply 56 of 177
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

How much does the Mac mini sell for now in the Netherlands?

Originally Posted by AppleInsider

"Note: The cheapest Mac mini currently sells for ? 599 on the Netherlands online store."
  • Reply 57 of 177
    this is a video of what it might be the new thinner imac

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI3T41ekWag

enjoy
  • Reply 58 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by couto27 View Post

this is a video of what it might be the new thinner imac

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI3T41ekWag

enjoy

Horrible mockup, from a usability standpoint.. It sits too low, there are no noticeable air vents (which will likely happen eventually, just not anytime soon), the case is way too small for the proposed components with TDP ratings, and the pivot arm looks very un-Apple.

I don’t understand why people doing these Photoshop mockups can only think about what they think is cool without also thinking about practical aspects of their proposed design.
  • Reply 59 of 177
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Perhaps 2 versions of a new iMac...one with SD card and w/o optical drive to make it ultra thin.

And another with optical and not as thin, but thinner than the current one.

As much as I'd like to see optical drives disappear, it might be premature to ditch altogether. A move like that may very well scare off potential switchers.
  • Reply 60 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Perhaps 2 versions of a new iMac...one with SD card and w/o optical drive to make it ultra thin.

And another with optical and not as thin, but thinner than the current one.

As much as I'd like to see optical drives disappear, it might be premature to ditch altogether. A move like that may very well scare off potential switchers.

Testing the waters with a machine designed for larger Mac audience is a good idea. I?m not sure that removing the optical drive from an iMac will make it much thinner. After all, the power supply and HDD are surely thicker than the 11.7mm slim slot-loading drive used in the iMac. It would free up some internal space, which may allow Apple to remove the chin from at least the 24? model.