Apple ads hint at thinner iMacs, lighter MacBooks, cheaper Mac minis

Comments

• Reply 101 of 177
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacAdict View Post

Apple should bring back the black macbook, sell it with 250gb hd 4gb ram 2.26ghz or 2.53 for around 1000 to 1200, plastic better for students cause aluminum scratches and dents a lot easier and black cause its a lot cooler than white

I think that is a good idea, though offer the option of a SSD as well. That said, I prefer the aluminum.
  • Reply 102 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I wonder if Apple will introduce a wireless keyboard and mouse with a built-in rechargeable battery. You could connect to a USB port and charge the battery (just like the iPhone) as well as make it work like a wired keyboard (or mouse) while it is charging.

I am tired of replacing the batteries every couple of days in my wireless keyboard and mouse.

Apple could claim a few more Green points.

You are right that it?s greener for Apple to use rechargeable batteries. The idea of a USB port to charge it from time to time seems a little pointless over just using that USB port and cable plugged in all the time for constant power and use. Perhaps the iMac itself can have inductive charging on the base and you place the keyboard on this the pedestal by sliding it under the display a bit when you are not using it to initiate the charging. This does leave the mouse out, so perhaps a mouse pad that also doubles as a charging plate or build a multitouch trackpad into the keyboard.

(This latter idea will not sit well with many you still prefer the mouse or are left handed. I prefer the touchpad and I think the extra-large, buttonless glass trackpad will eventually also be for visual output, not just mutli-touch input.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The few users who will need an optical drive a few years from now can simply get an external drive.

And well before that becomes an issue there will be plenty of other PC that will have internal optical drives.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by se99jmk View Post

I was planning on ordering a new MBP tomorrow, but given the excitement over the refresh to the rest of the lines, is the MBP likely to be updated too?

It seems that if they update the Macbook, then it places it close in terms of specs to the MBP, and Apple would need to update the MBP to give people a reason to get the top of the line.

Also of course Apple would love to steal thunder from the Windows 7 launch, another good reason to update everything and hit Microsoft hard..

------------------------------

So, should I purchase a new MBP tomorrow, or wait until the 14th?

SO excited about getting my new toy...

The number of reasonable sounding rumors, the fact that Apple has been having a Mac special event each fall for years now makes me think one will be coming soon. My guess is Tuesday, Oct. 13th, the same day as last year. That would mean an announcement by the end of the week.

There is just too much stuff for a silent release, which is really just a speed bump and/or price drop without any other real changes. If the Mac Mini gets a simple bump and price drop then it may silently hit their site early before the event as we?ve seen before.

My worry is that this will affect everything but the MBPs which are only about halfway through their typical cycle. Since Clarkfield?s TDP is currently too high for the MBPs at this time (without a major re-engineering), Apple may be waiting for the 32nm Arrandale to come out next year before making the switch.
  • Reply 103 of 177
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    - Edge to edge glass display

- Black border

- Glass trackpad

? the new white Macbook is going to look sexy as hell!!

Especially the beautifull contrast of the black border with the white casing
  • Reply 104 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

- Edge to edge glass display

- Black border

- Glass trackpad

… the new white Macbook is going to look sexy as hell!!

Especially the beautifull contrast of the black border with the white casing

That sounds pretty good, but I wonder if they will use a milled aluminum frame with plastic tops and bottoms. This will reduce cost of the milling while still giving a nice rigid frame for the internals. You still get a two-tone setup that could eventually be in multiple colours like the Nano, since this would seem to be appealing to a less professional crowd. I even like the idea that the aluminium rim has the same dark anodizing as the new Nanos against a black plastic case or other colours. It could look pretty slick while still being inexpensive.
  • Reply 105 of 177
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I wonder if Apple will introduce a wireless keyboard and mouse with a built-in rechargeable battery. You could connect to a USB port and charge the battery (just like the iPhone) as well as make it work like a wired keyboard (or mouse) while it is charging.

I am tired of replacing the batteries every couple of days in my wireless keyboard and mouse.

Apple could claim a few more Green points.

Get a battery charger. You'll still have to change the batteries, but it'll be cheaper.
  • Reply 106 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My worry is that this will affect everything but the MBPs which are only about halfway through their typical cycle. Since Clarkfield?s TDP is currently too high for the MBPs at this time (without a major re-engineering), Apple may be waiting for the 32nm Arrandale to come out next year before making the switch.

Ok - so you'd go for it now?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro seems to back this up with only being halfway through the product life cycle..
  • Reply 107 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Get a battery charger. You'll still have to change the batteries, but it'll be cheaper.

Unless it came with the charger and the batteries it?s not really Apple being green. On top of that, having the excess components and the unfortunate ease in which to through any defunct batteries into any refuse pile takes away from the effort. I think it will have to be a solution that doesn?t require removing the batteries.

At the very least (speculatively speaking) having the bottom, left edge of the iMac be a trap door for recharging the batteries. But not your typical AA style, but a wafer thin LiPolyIon that can be popped out and interchanged between keyboards, mice and remotes. (Just brainstorming here)
  • Reply 108 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by se99jmk View Post

Ok - so you'd go for it now?

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro seems to back this up with only being halfway through the product life cycle..

I?d wait until the next Mac special event to take place. Even if they did a price drop or increased some other components without a major MBP overhaul it might be worth it to wait. Of course, if you can?t wait a week or two to see if any even is going to arise then you should buy the machine that you want and need.
  • Reply 109 of 177
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by applebook View Post

People don't need thinner iMacs but quad-core!

Seems to me Steve Jobs will not stop until every Mac out there isn't thin as MacBook Air.

Kind of reminds me of Hollywood celebs obsession for being anorexic thin.

(And in a few years, iPhone will be credit card thin and foldable. No battery included )
  • Reply 110 of 177
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Thinner sounds bad. The desktop is going to have to rely even more on laptop components. I'm not looking forward to seeing laptop hard drives, graphics cards, processors and optical drives in Apple's $1000 - $2200 desktop range.

The current iMac is bad enough, it's a total joke. I built my desktop PC two and a half years ago for half the cost of a current top end iMac, and it has quad core, 4gb RAM, 2tb of HD storage, and a proper desktop class GPU. Plus dual eSATA ports, memory card readers, and various other extras.

I'd love to buy an iMac but with the components in it I wouldn't pay half of what Apple is charging. It's a relic, a blast from the past, and it needs a total redesign to allow it to use some modern components. The PC market moves quickly, but the iMac isn't so much lagging behind as collapsed on the floor waiting for an ambulance.

Apple should either fix it, or put it out of it's misery.
  • Reply 111 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

The current iMac is bad enough, it's a total joke. I built my desktop PC two and a half years ago for half the cost of a current top end iMac, and it has quad core, 4gb RAM, 2tb of HD storage, and a proper desktop class GPU. Plus dual eSATA ports, memory card readers, and various other extras.

I'd love to buy an iMac but with the components in it I wouldn't pay half of what Apple is charging. It's a relic, a blast from the past, and it needs a total redesign to allow it to use some modern components. The PC market moves quickly, but the iMac isn't so much lagging behind as collapsed on the floor waiting for an ambulance.

An AIO is a relic compared to a desktop you put together yourself? I haven’t built a machine since the mid 90s and consider anyone who feels this is an ideal solution for the average person to be “a relic”. Notebooks are the market segment that are growing and Apple’s AIOs are the only desktop segment that appear to be increasing in popularity. Most of the us aren’t or are no longer homebrew users who want to find cheap components online that we then have to find shabby drivers for to get a working box. Which we then put in a huge case with neon lights with over-clocked CPUs and anything else that may make our PC the envy of our friends. Nope, most of use want something that just works and works well.

PS: i Also prefer to drive a Mercedes and not a souped-up, bombastically sounding, ornately painted Honda Civic that can take turns sharper because of an ugly-ass wing on the back and technically do 0-60 faster than my Merc
  • Reply 112 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

And here I thought Apple went to Intel to stay on top since Motorola/IBM wasn't giving them the refresh they wanted. Seriously, the 9600 GPU is weak in comparison to other computers that are less than the iMac, not to mention the Dual Core processor in a Desktop? You can find Dual Core computers for roughly 300 bucks at around the same speed as the iMac!

I too have a desktop with Quad Core, 4gb RAM, 1tb and decent graphics. It cost me about half that of the iMac. Still under 800 bucks if you include the monitor! If Apple went to Desktop parts, increased the size of the enclosure (they could still make it look cool though!) to accommodate for desktop parts and cooling, they could STILL sell the machines at the same prices as they currently do, and make even MORE of a profit margin than using weak laptop parts.

I figure that's not in the cards. Ever. Apple only makes laptops these days with the two exceptions: Mac Pro and XServe (which I think will be phased out soon enough)
  • Reply 113 of 177
    I wish a quad core iMac for the high end model and a more powerful MacMini with a better graphics card.
  • Reply 114 of 177
    Why does everyone go on about sales cannibalization. Plenty of other manufactures have standard desktops alongside AIO units with sales of both being fine.

But somehow apple is a special case because they'd reap a few less bucks from people buying third party monitors?
  • Reply 115 of 177
    iMac Air would be the most useless gimmick in recent computing history.

As most people have said, it makes almost difference whether their desktop is 1" or 3" thick. The SPEED and overall features are what matter most in a desktop that is already compact like the current iMac.
  • Reply 116 of 177
    The iMac Air name only makes sense if it is used to differentiate a thinner model from a thicker model with, presumably, beefier insides. Unfortunately, there's no ad for that machine. That may just mean that ad didn't get leaked.
  • Reply 117 of 177
    Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.

Old? White macbook.

New? Imac? Mouse? Keyboard? pick one.

Borrowed? An advice on prices, see:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...of_tv_ads.html

Blue? Could it be blu? I mean true...
  • Reply 118 of 177
    When a screen is backlit with LEDs, what does the lighting pattern look like?

Are there multiple rows of LEDs behind the screen or is it just illuminated around the edges?

Anyone have any links to photos or video on this?

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 119 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nonimus View Post

If iMacs can only handle a 55 watt CPU, I think the following Intel CPUs are possible candidates for the new iMac.

They're from the Clarksfield lineup and may be comparable in performance to the top of the line Intel Core 2 Extreme QX 9300, released in 2008.

From what I've read about the performance of these processors, they blow away even the fastest Core 2 processors. It's not even close.
  • Reply 120 of 177
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthracite View Post

When a screen is backlit with LEDs, what does the lighting pattern look like?

Are there multiple rows of LEDs behind the screen or is it just illuminated around the edges?

Anyone have any links to photos or video on this?

Thanks in advance.

Actually, it's more even lighting than my old Macbook Pro that has a matte screen with a CFL. I presume it's just a row of LEDs on the bottom, which is why you get a flood of light coming from the bottom up. As far as comparing LEDs with CFLs, it's not even close. LEDs are clearly better, they are far brighter and they don't have the corner lighting issues that CFLs do. And frankly for those people who are complaining about matte screens not being on the iMac or 13" Macbook Pro, I say the benefits of using a brighter LCD outweighs the glare issue. Matte screens have had their time, but frankly, it's way better than it was with my 2006 Macbook Pro, with a dim screen barely readable at full brightness in sunlight. With the new Macbook Pros, yeah, there's some glare, but the brightness is absolutely outstanding. I've never had a computer until now where I could actually read stuff at half-brightness in direct sunlight. Of course, using a glossy screen will mean that colors won't be accurate compared to printing or displaying the same graphics on other non-glossy displays, but that's what you get for being cheap and not going for the 15" Macbook Pro (truth be told, working w/ graphics is way better on a 15" than 13") w/ matte