Flash coming to most smartphones, but not Apple's iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 223
    Hey, a brief note to those who developed flash player...Go crap in some one else's back yard. Apple, you should continue your stance and revolve your development physics moving forward to what is now understood as intuitive media and a stepping stone to what will be enjoyed by the user.
  • Reply 42 of 223
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Adobe on Monday announced partnerships with numerous handset operating system makers, including Research in Motion, Nokia, Palm, Google and Microsoft, to bring Flash Player 10.1 to smartphones. Absent from the list: Apple.

Also absent from the list, 40% of mobile web users. And, since the percentage of mobile users who are on the iPhone is growing, probably over half, soon. If you are developing for the mobile web, the smart thing to do is to ignore this announcement and get away from Flash now, it's a losing proposition, now and long-term.

It may have slightly longer legs on personal computers, but Flash's demise is inevitable there as well.
  • Reply 43 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Oh, so you're the one. Flash sucks on the Mac, people know this.

GOOGLE

Google (Insert product name here) & (Sucks) and tell me how many hits you get. I am not arguing that flash is perfect. The truth is often times the problem with flash is the programmer. This is the end result of a tool being popular enough to have novice users developing content.

Anyway I am not a flash evangelist, as I said, you can believe me or not, and I will continue to work in the field using the available tools. If flash goes away than so be it. None of that changes the fact that flash isn't going to disappear before competing manufacturers make phones that will do everything the iPhone does WITH flash, my only point here is that consumers WILL care and they will show it with their purchases.
  • Reply 44 of 223
    Do you really want to download 100-200k of obnoxious blinking flash ads whenever you hit a Webpage? How about ads that cover content that you can't close because they don't work with multi-touch?

The carriers will disable Flash. It is too bandwidth hungry for the mobile web at this point and who wants to see an $(*&$(*ing animated TV commercial when they just want the address to the restaurant. NO to Flash.
  • Reply 45 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Much as I love my iPhone, it's beginning to look a little old to me. The lack of flash is a big part of that, as mobile browsing isn't all that useful when you end up seeing an awful lot of those 'no flash plug in' icons on web pages.

I'm also growing increasingly impatient over Apple's inability to support multi-tasking on the iPhone. It would be incredibly useful to be able to have Spotify or other web radio/streaming aps running in the background while I email, browse, use google maps etc. And I'd like Twitter, IM, and other gadgets running all the time on the home screen, instead of having to launch them, then quit them, then launch them, then quit them etc etc.

The iPhone is a good device but one which is beginning to fall behind other smart phone OSs, and if I was Apple I would be working hard to get Flash, and other expected modern technologies working sooner rather than later.

There's a new-fangeled device that does everything you described above and I definitely think you should get one... it's called a computer.
  • Reply 46 of 223
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Smart money says Apple has their own solution or an alternative in the works, either on their own or partnered.

Apple thinks ahead. I have no worries.
  • Reply 47 of 223
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Exactly- that's why we got 2003 MMS in 2009!
  • Reply 48 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I don't know about where you live but the sun here shifts angles during seasons.

Only if your computer or screen is facing a window or the sun, there are other sources of light, not to mention the one behind your screen.
  • Reply 49 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Smart money says Apple has their own solution or an alternative in the works, either on their own or partnered.

God I hope not. I am already having to adjust to developing Silverlight content. If Apple produces a plug-in of their own I will cry.
  • Reply 50 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oweneck View Post

Only if your computer or screen is facing a window or the sun, there are other sources of light, not to mention the one behind your screen.

We have small apartments here in NYC. Very few rooms without windows.
  • Reply 51 of 223
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:

Funny I say the exact same thing about the Genius feature in iTunes. Never use it , never will. \

Oh stop your trolling!!! (I know it's all your good at)

The point I was making is that there is no "turn-off" feature for being tracked by Flash-cookies and websites now use that if they (or their marketing sites) are unable to track you using traditional cookies. Thereby taking away your right to decide.

Genius on the other hand...when you turn it off, it's off. Thank you for providing me with further support of my argument.
  • Reply 52 of 223
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,857member
    duplicate post
  • Reply 53 of 223
    I think it would be nice to have flash and leave it up to the user to choose whether they want it enabled or disabled.
  • Reply 54 of 223
    Quote:

Exactly- that's why we got 2003 MMS in 2009!

All the other phones didn't have decent email, unlike the iPhone, so had to rely on some crappy half rate price-gouging technology known as MMS.
  • Reply 55 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

The point I was making is that there is no "turn-off" feature for being tracked by Flash-cookies and websites now use that if they (or their marketing sites) are unable to track you using traditional cookies. Thereby taking away your right to decide.

Genius on the other hand...when you turn it off, it's off. Thank you for providing me with further support of my argument.

You don't know how to clear cookies?

Even after you turn off Genius Apple has that information on you- so your point is?.
  • Reply 56 of 223
    Quote:

Same here too but that doesn't mean your computer has to be facing one of them, there's usually an inside wall or one where you can cover at least one of the windows, how else would you sleep well?
  • Reply 57 of 223
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    I don't understand all the hatred towards Flash. If you don't like it, DON'T INSTALL IT ON YOUR IPHONE!!!

What is wrong with giving us another option to use? If the OPTION is made available, I will use it on my iPhone. If you don't want to use Flash, you wouldn't have to install it on your iPhone (if it were made available).

Again, I don't see what the issue is here. I absolutely DESPISE text messaging and have no use for it since I can email with my iPhone. So I called AT&T to disable it. No harm, no foul.

Same with Flash, if you don't want to put up with it, don't install it... end of discussion. But if the rest of us want to use it, why would you support limiting that option to us?
  • Reply 58 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tawilson View Post

All the other phones didn't have decent email, unlike the iPhone, so had to rely on some crappy half rate price-gouging technology known as MMS.

Apple don't give crap - that's why why just got MMS. Get with the program.
  • Reply 59 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mazda 3s View Post

i don't understand all the hatred towards flash. If you don't like it, don't install it on your iphone!!!

What is wrong with giving us another option to use? If the option is made available, i will use it on my iphone. If you don't want to use flash, you wouldn't have to install it on your iphone (if it were made available).

Again, i don't see what the issue is here. I absolutely despise text messaging and have no use for it since i can email with my iphone. So i called at&t to disable it. No harm, no foul.

Same with flash, if you don't want to put up with it, don't install it... End of discussion. But if the rest of us want to use it, why would you support limiting that option to us?

agreed 1,000%.
  • Reply 60 of 223
    Quote:

Explains your very blinkered view of the world