Psystar sells Snow Leopard virtualization to third-parties

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In spite of an ongoing legal dispute with Apple, clone Mac maker Psystar Monday announced plans to license its virtualization technology for Mac OS X to third-party hardware vendors.

The new Psystar OEM Licensing Program will allow Intel machines to run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard. The announcement is a bold move likely to catch the ire of Apple, which plans to start its trial against the Florida-based company in January 2010.

The new program will allow manufacturers to have hardware certified by Psystar, and allows use of the company's Darwin Universal Boot Loader. The software will allow manufacturers to install Snow Leopard by inserting the disc from Apple -- no additional steps would be necessary, the company said. The software supports up to six operating systems on one machine.

"Psystar's vision of open computing is to provide users with the freedom to choose which OS's they install on their hardware," the company said in a press release. "The Licensing Program will allow computer manufacturers the opportunity to ship the certified systems pre-configured with DUBL and OS of choice including Windows 7, Windows Vista and several flavors of Linux. These systems would also be compatible with Mac OS X Snow Leopard and receive normal software updates through the use of 'Safe Update" technology."

Details on the licensing program, including cost, were not immediately made available.

The company already offers non-sanctioned systems pre-installed with Snow Leopard. The company touts their hardware is "not a Mac, it's for everyone."

As Psystar and Apple prepare for their coming court date, the saga between the two companies has seen its share of twists and turns. Last week, a member of the Psystar defense team withdrew himself from the case.

Weeks ago, Apple requested that the court allow Snow Leopard to be included in the upcoming trial's relevant information. The motion was likely an effort by Apple to bring a separate suit, filed by Psystar against Apple in Florida over Snow Leopard. Apple's request, which would have re-opened the case's discovery period, was denied, and the trial remains on track for a January 2010 start date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company already offers non-sanctioned systems pre-installed with Snow Leopard. The company touts their hardware is "not a Mac, it's for everyone."

We're sorry. An error has occurred while launching iTunes. Please contact your system administrator.
  • Reply 2 of 68
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

"Psystar's vision of open computing is to provide users with the freedom to choose which OS's they install on their hardware,"

I think I'll buy all of Psystar system's stock and pay them with "Condfederate" dollars (legal tender, albeit 1860 - 1865) or the well known "Monopoly" dollars, I haven't decided which. Afterall, it is MY vision of open monetary which is to provide consumers with the freedom to choose which currency they prefer in their wallet!
  • Reply 3 of 68
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    who wants to be that by the end of the day Apple will have filed for an injunction prohibiting Psystar from moving forward with this brilliant plan until after both trials are over. Just in case anyone would be stupid enough to join up before then
  • Reply 4 of 68
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    man they will not stop, so either this guy is completely delusional or he knows something about the law that apple does not know.

In the end apple will probably prevail, and it will cost apple millions and they will get no money form this company.
  • Reply 5 of 68
    Psystar are dead.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 6 of 68
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

This ad is hilarious.

It's so funny how it *looks* like an Apple ad, yet is poorly executed and "cheap" with a lot of mistakes.

Wow, is that a perfect metaphor for Psystar itself or what?!

Why would I buy anything from a company that can't spell anything properly, and who's advertising "artist" doesn't even know how to make a drop shadow?

(don't even get me started on the box)
  • Reply 7 of 68
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

man they will not stop, so either this guy is completely delusional or he knows something about the law that apple does not know.

thinks he knows. as in he thinks he can pull off some 'EULAs are bogus so legally I can do what I want" trick and be a hero

but he's not. and by making money off this DCMA violation he's just digging himself in and bringing friends.

and the crazy part is that either his lawyers don't know what he's announced and will drop him, or they will stick by him and ruin themselves in the process
  • Reply 8 of 68
    ulfoafulfoaf Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

In the end apple will probably prevail, and it will cost apple millions and they will get no money form this company.

Truer words were never spoken. I can't believe they have a legal leg to stand on. They will lose, and you are right, they won't have any money! Apple will spend lots of money, but it is probably worth it to protect their brand.
  • Reply 9 of 68
    So if I take Psystar's program and resell it without giving them a cut, will Psystar sue me for breaking EULA?
  • Reply 10 of 68
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I wish Apple could invent some non-spoofable hardware chip to build into their devices to thwart all the parasites enriching themselves on Apple's software.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    I have to wonder why they simply don't get an injunction against these folks. This has gotten the point where it's gone beyond ridiculous and entered just plain bizarre crazy.
  • Reply 12 of 68
    What is the difference between this and a Hackintosh?

Other than the DIY ethos of a Hackintosh and a "solution" like Pystars. These guys are just trying to monetize a "grassroots DIY movement out there".

This is going to get interesting. I don't really know where I stand on this one. I can see both sides of the argument.

Then again Apple can destroy the entire Hackintosh movement by lowering their prices. It's somewhat difficult. Technically speaking and is only woth the effort if you're building an i7 type machine. You don't build a mini competitor as a Hackintosh.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

The new program will allow manufacturers to have hardware certified by Psystar...

Anyone else see the irony here? The hardware has to be approved by Psystar before they will license their software to you. So they are in total control of what hardware their software gets installed on. Granted, they probably aren't offering their software retail, but isn't it one of their arguments that license agreements aren't enforceable and that Apple is using the license agreement to maintain their monopoly hold on a "market" (never mind that Mac hardware is not a "market" in and of itself)?

Can we not argue that Psytar has a monopoly in non-Apple branded computers that run Mac OS and sue them for illegally leveraging their monopoly by not selling their software to me so I can install it on any computer I want to?
  • Reply 14 of 68
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

Other than the DIY ethos of a Hackintosh and a "solution" like Pystars. These guys are just trying to monetize a "grassroots DIY movement out there".

This is going to get interesting. I don't really know where I stand on this one. I can see both sides of the argument.

Then again Apple can destroy the entire Hackintosh movement by lowering their prices. It's somewhat difficult. Technically speaking and is only woth the effort if you're building an i7 type machine. You don't build a mini competitor as a Hackintosh.

Legally, probably not much difference. Financially, Apple isn't going to go after someone making one or two Hackintoshes. But has soon as you scale up the operation as a for-profit business, then you'll get their attention.

And if Apple wanted to destroy the Hackintosh movement, they wouldn't do it by lowering prices, they do it my explicitly locking the OS to the hardware. So if you support Hackintoshes, you should (in my opinion) be very much against Psystar. Because if Psystart wins, Apple will make it all but impossible for a hobbiest to create a Hackintosh.
  • Reply 15 of 68
    citycity Posts: 522member
    I have the same problem. My building has vehicle parking free for its customers, which is basically a subsidy that's built into the tenant's rent. People visiting my neighbors can't understand why they can't also park there and park there for free. Even though there's a posted "Parking for this Building Only" policy, there's a posted price for "others" too. That's needed to establish the value and forewarn. Apple $30 price is really an upgrade price. I think they need a full version price that about the same as an iMac so has to clearly establish its value. Otherwise, how do you determine damages?
  • Reply 16 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcloki View Post

Apple does not have an "OEM" version of their OS, whereas Microsoft does that allows the OS to be installed on a machine for re-sale. There is a big difference in licensing of these different OSes. If Pysstar sold the computer with the OS not pre-installed, then they might have a better chance surviving the lawsuit.
  • Reply 17 of 68
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Anyone else see the irony here? The hardware has to be approved by Psystar before they will license their software to you. So they are in total control of what hardware their software gets installed on.

I wonder if they would sue anyone who releases their patch bios for sale?
  • Reply 18 of 68
    mclokimcloki Posts: 86member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webpoet73 View Post

Apple does not have an "OEM" version of their OS, whereas Microsoft does that allows the OS to be installed on a machine for re-sale. There is a big difference in licensing of these different OSes. If Pysstar sold the computer with the OS not pre-installed, then they might have a better chance surviving the lawsuit.

My read of the Press release was exactly that. They are "validating your hardware" so that it will run OSX, but not selling you OSX installed. You have to do that yourself.

Apple tying their OS directly to hardware would be a logistical nightmare for Apple. As soon as there was a hardware dongle/ROM to take advantage of. Someone would clone it, making it even easier to create a hackintosh.

It's an interesting dilemma. Only a constantly connected, verifying OS would work, but I'm not sure too many people would like that. A bit too Big Brother.
  • Reply 19 of 68
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    "Its not a Mac. Its for everyone."

Psystar thinkin' differ'nt!
  • Reply 20 of 68
    I have watched this with mixed emotions, since I love when the little man takes on the BIG dog, but at the same time, I DO not want Apple to become like MS.

For MS when you have operating system issues, you do not know who to contact, since you will get the running around in a loop from software to hardware vendor.

Apple's model has shown to work very effectively and I for one do not want it to change.

For Psystar, i see behavior that is more emotional, then rational and this will probably cause them more harm, then good. You can fight a good fight, but remember what you are fighting for and is it worth it.