Google expands ads for smartphones, adds to iPhone Maps app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

No contract with a company of that size is just words. Thanks for the link though - not that I'll read it.

Ok... I'll read it.

First line: "Google is a business." Says it all really.

You seem overly dismissive. I'm not about to defend techno's knee-jerk reaction or even suggest that he's correct?I don't think he/she is. I was just offering some insight to the discussion at hand, and I'll also point out, now, that techno didn't use the word 'contract'.

The document you've just fussed over is just a general set of guidelines describing how Google strives to do business. It certainly is not a contract. It is more of a philosophy, thus the title, "Our Philosophy." Still, it would lend validity to a complaint against Google for 'doing evil'. The disagreement I have with techno in this case is simply that they're not doing evil.

I was just offering some light-hearted background story.
  • Reply 22 of 85
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

????

Delivering ads is evil now? That is sort of their business model..selling ads. Sort of like saying Apple is evil for selling iPhones or caring about user experience.

No, embedding ads in Maps is not evil. It is not he next step in world conquest. It is not Big Brother taking it to the next level.

It is simply an annoyance and will degrade the user experience. Apple should replace it with their own maps app if this doesn't stop.

No, ads in Maps isn't evil in and of itself, but it certainly is a huge annoyance that will definitely degrade the user experience. And the less presence Google has on the iPhone, the better.
  • Reply 23 of 85
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

I was just offering some light-hearted background story.

And I thank you for that.
  • Reply 24 of 85
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I am surprised that you think a simple icon differentiation in the map 'ruins' the map view 'experience'. How costly is that little icon, really? How does it substantively alter your 'experience' of the UI? Seems like much ado about nothing to me, and I am a UI designer.

So am I. I think it's too much, and the one in Map View is not where you'd expect to see an ad.
  • Reply 25 of 85
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

So am I. I think it's too much, and the one in Map View is not where you'd expect to see an ad.

I tried it on my phone and before you declare you indignation I would suggest you try it as well. I think to be clear, images supplied with the article are a bit misleading. The red map pin next to the store front icon is some other store. The ad icons are not in addition to the map pin but instead of. No logo and the name label does not pop up by default either. The user clicked on it.
  • Reply 26 of 85
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think you are responding to the fact that there is an ad insertion, not the UI itself. If you presented this design to someone and did not tell them the different icon is an ad, or even if you simply told them it means "someone paid to have this link inserted in our mapping database and presented to you", I doubt it would make much difference at all in their evaluation of the UI. It is so minimal and trivial that it falls into the level of absurdity to suggest that it 'ruins' the experience.

I think what ruins the experience for you is the fact that you think you should not have to be exposed to advertisements using maps (even though they aren't really ads, they are just sponsored links), and that bias causes you to be angry about what you perceive to be an unwarranted intrusion into your use of the application. That's fine, but that is not a user experience issue, it is just your own personal bias.
  • Reply 27 of 85
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    There's really no reason to get all up in arms about this. Google has been putting ads in their other services for years, so why should this one be any different? We've known this sort of things was going to happen for years as cell phones became more advanced. Businesses want to be known, especially if they know you're within a few miles.

They're not intrusive in the least. They're like Digg's ads - they're slipstreamed into the data in a way so that they're not annoying to the eye, and are clearly marked.

If you don't want ads in your Maps application, launch your own satilite into space and start taking pictures of the globe, or license those images yourself.
  • Reply 28 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

My question, I will ask is, why have Apple approved Vonage and not Google Voice? Yes I know Vonage is for international calls, but Google Voice could go the same way? I for one will post this question, just to see the reaction and different views on the matter.

Probably because Vonage just makes phone calls, but doesn't try to take over the entire telephony user experience on the iPhone.
  • Reply 29 of 85
    Apple is unique in that it generally makes money without annoying us to death. Most companies (and especially most websites) have business strategies based around annoying ads. I've heard the ZuneHD gives you a little ad every single time you open an application.

It's like Hulu vs. iTunes. I would personally much rather pay a couple bucks to watch an HD TV show without commercials. That's the same reason I own a TiVo: so I can avoid polluting my life with time-wasting insults.

Sadly, I think I'm in the minority on this. Most people seem to say, "I don't mind the ads as long as I get free stuff." Hopefully Apple sticks to their philosophical base and replaces the newly-annoying Google maps with PlaceBase [that's the map company they recently bought]. I'd happily pay more for my iPhone so I don't have to hear about Kohls' new sale.
  • Reply 30 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkRail View Post

I'd happily pay more for my iPhone so I don't have to hear about Kohls' new sale.

What is it about this that people don't understand. It is a simple nondescript icon. Takes up no more space and a regular map pin, very insignificant. You have to click on it to see the ad and it is targeted so you probably are interested in it since you searched on the keyword. Jees!
  • Reply 31 of 85
    We've known this for a long time, so this should be not be surprising to anyone. Google's very existence and business model is centered around throwing as many ads as they can into our faces. The more they succeed, the more money they make. These ads are in the form of banners, pop-up windows, filtered searches, and now points of interest on Maps.

I can't wait for Google VoIP to begin interjecting audio ads into my phone calls. "Hi Mom.......Hello, this is Google reminding you that you can save money by shopping at.......".

• Reply 32 of 85
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

I am surprised that you think a simple icon differentiation in the map 'ruins' the map view 'experience'. How costly is that little icon, really? How does it substantively alter your 'experience' of the UI? Seems like much ado about nothing to me, and I am a UI designer....

I'm not the OP you are responding to but to me this does "ruin" the map experience also.

The point is that one is searching for something on a map, and the results should be what you searched for, not what you searched for plus some ads. In the web browsing experience, you would get what you searched for, with some ads over to one side. The iPhone is too small for that so you get ads right in the middle of the screen.

Aside from the fact that the user is not getting what they searched for, the extra material interferes with the experience of the search.

On top of that, this is just one ad we are talking about. If this becomes popular, then searching on any Google map will bring up dozens and dozens of results only marginally (if at all), connected to your search. How easy will the search be when there are dozens of ads filling up that tiny map?

Even if the ads are only thrown up when you are looking for a commercial entity like a restaurant or a store, if a dozen stores are paying Google money to be mentioned in those searches and there is only room for a dozen links on the screen, who's to say those who haven't paid Google will even show up on the search?

It's the tiny end of a giant wedge or slippery slope or whatever.

It's totally reasonable and understandable, but it's not "good." What we need is another company to provide maps for the iPhone that doesn't need to monetize the map.

Apple Maps anyone?
  • Reply 33 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

We've known this for a long time, so this should be not be surprising to anyone. Google's very existence and business model is centered around throwing as many ads as they can into our faces. The more they succeed, the more money they make. These ads are in the form of banners, pop-up windows, filtered searches, and now points of interest on Maps.

Google = Search. Search uses servers, programming and bandwidth. Servers, programming and bandwidth costs money. Google places a few very unobtrusive targeted ads to make money and you people go off on a tirade yet you sit through hundreds of really obnoxious TV commercials every day without getting your panties in a bunch. What's up?
  • Reply 34 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Google = Search. Search uses servers, programming and bandwidth. Servers, programming and bandwidth costs money. Google places a few very unobtrusive targeted ads to make money and you people go off on a tirade yet you sit through hundreds of really obnoxious TV commercials every day without getting your panties in a bunch. What's up?

Google == Controlling information and access to it
  • Reply 35 of 85
    Quote:

What is it about this that people don't understand. It is a simple nondescript icon. Takes up no more space and a regular map pin, very insignificant. You have to click on it to see the ad and it is targeted so you probably are interested in it since you searched on the keyword. Jees!

Well good for you: you're someone who doesn't mind ads. You're in the majority. The world is heading your direction.

Clearly, though, a number of us still value the uncluttered purity that Apple usually gives us.

I've pulled up the new Google Maps ads on my phone, and they are annoying. Not as bad as a big Flash ad bouncing all over my computer screen, but still annoying. It breaks my concentration; makes a small part of my brain say, "OK, so the white ones on the list are relevant, and I have to ignore that yellow one," or, "I should look at the red push-pins, not the yellow icons." And the italicized text, "HEY, THERE'S A SALE!!!" just makes me unhappy, like finding a bug in my soup.

Some of us are willing to pay for austere clarity.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'm not the OP you are responding to but to me this does "ruin" the map experience also.

The point is that one is searching for something on a map, and the results should be what you searched for, not what you searched for plus some ads. In the web browsing experience, you would get what you searched for, with some ads over to one side. The iPhone is too small for that so you get ads right in the middle of the screen.

Aside from the fact that the user is not getting what they searched for, the extra material interferes with the experience of the search.

On top of that, this is just one ad we are talking about. If this becomes popular, then searching on any Google map will bring up dozens and dozens of results only marginally (if at all), connected to your search. How easy will the search be when there are dozens of ads filling up that tiny map?

Even if the ads are only thrown up when you are looking for a commercial entity like a restaurant or a store, if a dozen stores are paying Google money to be mentioned in those searches and there is only room for a dozen links on the screen, who's to say those who haven't paid Google will even show up on the search?

It's the tiny end of a giant wedge or slippery slope or whatever.

It's totally reasonable and understandable, but it's not "good." What we need is another company to provide maps for the iPhone that doesn't need to monetize the map.

Apple Maps anyone?

This is all completely wrong. It is TARGETED!!!! You are getting what you searched for. Google never put dozens of ads on a page and it they did people would quit using them for search. You people are just freaking out for no reason. Think about it for a second then go see what it looks like in action on a an iPhone. The sky is not falling.
  • Reply 37 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkRail View Post

Some of us are willing to pay for austere clarity.

You must be joking. Let me ask you one question? What search engine do you use for that austere clarity?
  • Reply 38 of 85
    Quote:

This is all completely wrong. It is TARGETED!!!! You are getting what you searched for. Google never put dozens of ads on a page and it they did people would quit using them for search. You people are just freaking out for no reason. Think about it for a second then go see what it looks like in action on a an iPhone. The sky is not falling.

Why do we have to like ads, or Google?
  • Reply 39 of 85
    Quote:

You must be joking. Let me ask you one question? What search engine do you use for that austere clarity?

Until today, I used Google Maps on my iPhone.

I'm not telling you you're wrong, just that you like different things than I do. My only point is that some people really value the way Apple generally operates without relying on ad revenue. Believe me, if Google had an ad-free version of their website that cost a couple bucks a month, I'd subscribe!
  • Reply 40 of 85
    ...when are you going to make the "My Maps" functionality work in your iPhone application?