Psystar sells Snow Leopard virtualization to third-parties

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    Brilliant move, Psystar! I'm sure other resellers will leap on the opportunity to get their asses sued out of existence by Apple!
  • Reply 42 of 68
    Modern medical science has not yet invented a device by which to measure the epic size of Psystar's balls.

Nor one that can measure the gargantuan distance they swing.
  • Reply 43 of 68
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I think already answered your question by saying, I do not want Apple to become like MS.

On a serious note, I buy a premium product, since I demand the highest quality of product/service from the company. To be frank, I would not purchase that Apple product, if that was being offered. Same reason, I will not buy from Psystar.

Perhaps my question wasn't clear.

Would you still be rooting for the "little guy", if the roles were reversed?
  • Reply 44 of 68
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

"customizable"? "upgradable"?

...those are the correct spellings of those words...
  • Reply 45 of 68
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Ladies and Gentlemen - start your Torrents!

First that natty piece of software from Psystar. Then OSX. If this happens it may not be a bad thing for Apple. In fact maybe the whole thing is a shrewd piece of viral campaigning. Over the next 12 months say, OSX gets installed for free on a gazillion PC's across the world. Then Apple surreptitiously shuts down its wholly owned subsidiary - Psystar, and voila! Apple has a few million more converts who rush out and buy Apple hardware.

OK OK... I don't actually believe that but if OSX does get spread illegally to a billion PCs, it may benefit Apple in the end. Unless of course all us loyal Mac fans decide to ditch our hardware in favour of a cheap Dell box...
  • Reply 46 of 68
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

...those are the correct spellings of those words...

Yeah. Questionable usage though. Certainly not that professional.
  • Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:

Yeah. Questionable usage though. Certainly not that professional.

Because commenting on a blog should always be done using the most professional language and grammar.

Give me a break.

Here allow me to fix your comment:

"Affirmative. The usage of the words referenced was questionable however. The original author clearly did not use very professional grammar."
  • Reply 48 of 68
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Because commenting on a blog should always be done using the most professional language and grammar.

Give me a break.

"Affirmative. The usage of the words referenced was questionable however. The original author clearly did not use very professional grammar."

Who invited the language police ... relax people, this is supposed to be fun, for crying out loud.
  • Reply 49 of 68
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    It would be awesome to have snow leopard on a little netbook
  • Reply 50 of 68
    Quote:

Who invited the language police ... relax people, this is supposed to be fun, for crying out loud.

That was actually my point....
  • Reply 51 of 68
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Give me a break.

Um ... we were referring to professional ad copy right? Not sure what you're talking about here.

To clarify:

The use of "customizable" (sic) and "upgradable" (sic) is not "wrong" (you can find them in most dictionaries), but it's a very recent and not entirely professional use that you won't find in many professional advertisements. I use these words on forums myself all the time, but you don't see them much in advertising copy, at least not in stuff that wasn't written by a teenager.

In the same sense it wasn't "wrong" of them to use a radial drop shadow as a stroke on the font of the main title, but the "ugly" side effects of that choice are quite apparent and it's something you won't find any real professionals doing.

As I have already pointed out, there are many other problems with this ad.

Overall, I just think it's hilariously funny that Psystar is behind this ad, and that the ad reflects the exact same relationship that Psystar has to Apple in the first place. i.e. - a cheap mistake filled copy of the original. That's the kind of satire you usually have to pay for, and it's made more choice by the fact that these guys did it to themselves and unintentionally as well.

I repeat.

Hee-Lair-Ree-usssss!

• Reply 52 of 68
    Don't get me wrong, but hopefully psystar will make Apple realize they need a machine to compete in the market sector.

Seriously guys, a mid range desktop can exist alongside an all in one.

The pro was *almost* mid range, the last iteration with a single quad processor was quite affordable, i was considering getting one myself. But the latest upgrade is deplorable. It's like apple deliberately shut out the mid range market by raising their prices substantially.

All they have to do is half the pro in size, and chop a chunk off the price.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aegelward View Post

Don't get me wrong, but hopefully psystar will make Apple realize they need a machine to compete in the market sector.

Seriously guys, a mid range desktop can exist alongside an all in one.

The pro was *almost* mid range, the last iteration with a single quad processor was quite affordable, i was considering getting one myself. But the latest upgrade is deplorable. It's like apple deliberately shut out the mid range market by raising their prices substantially.

All they have to do is half the pro in size, and chop a chunk off the price.

It wont make Apple realize anything. Apple knows they could sell a lot of mid range desktops. They are also aware that the profit margins in the desktop market are small and shrinking. They would sell a lot of desktops, but they wouldn't make a lot of money, this is the same reason they are not in the netbook market. It does suck for the consumer, but Apple is free to make the choice of what they sell.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    Hold it! where did psystar hire the talent to make a bootloader? did they just rip it off an open source and say its theirs? Isnt Darwin kernal derived from NextStep that Apple released into open source? So Psystar is STILL "stealing" from Apple?

How is a bootloader a virtualization program? Did they edit the bootloader and call it virtualization? Macs can already double/triple boot into Windows and linux, nobody say its virtual.

Can't Palm rip off another open source program to sync with the Pre?
  • Reply 55 of 68
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    If you truly want to use a mac, you must buy a mac.

For everything else there is linux mint.
  • Reply 56 of 68
    maximaramaximara Posts: 409member
    Quote:

This ad is hilarious.

It's so funny how it *looks* like an Apple ad, yet is poorly executed and "cheap" with a lot of mistakes.

Wow, is that a perfect metaphor for Psystar itself or what?!

Why would I buy anything from a company that can't spell anything properly, and who's advertising "artist" doesn't even know how to make a drop shadow?

(don't even get me started on the box)

This ad may be highly illegal as well. I see potential problem with FTC AND FCC regulations and there are clear trademark issues as well. IMHO Psystar may have crossed a line where the judges may have to do something.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

you are so funny with your witty digs at Apple

Ahah! He does have a point though!
  • Reply 58 of 68
    i'd love it if we all knew who's backing these lunatics...specially their legal department with moronic lawsuits, it could very well be microsoft...

microsoft's latest "microsoft store" campaign is as parasite-like as these idiots
  • Reply 59 of 68
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:

The use of "customizable" (sic) and "upgradable" (sic) is not "wrong" (you can find them in most dictionaries), but it's a very recent and not entirely professional use that you won't find in many professional advertisements.

You can not only find them in the dictionaries, but "upgradable" is the first spelling for that word in Merriam-Webster, and "customizable" is the only spelling in M-W.

Unless you're objecting to the use of the words themselves, which I don't understand - what words should they use instead? They are trying to emphasize the fact that their machines can be customized and upgraded, whereas Apple's generally cannot due to the lack of PCI, PCI-Express, or ExpressCard slots on all but the most bulky, cumbersome, and expensive of their machines.
  • Reply 60 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Anyone else see the irony here? The hardware has to be approved by Psystar before they will license their software to you. So they are in total control of what hardware their software gets installed on. Granted, they probably aren't offering their software retail, but isn't it one of their arguments that license agreements aren't enforceable and that Apple is using the license agreement to maintain their monopoly hold on a "market" (never mind that Mac hardware is not a "market" in and of itself)?

Can we not argue that Psytar has a monopoly in non-Apple branded computers that run Mac OS and sue them for illegally leveraging their monopoly by not selling their software to me so I can install it on any computer I want to?

Apple wanted to do is make software designed for the hardware that they build. Less complications and pure simplistic to me this what makes it valuable and I don't have a problem with that. If Apple wanted to be like Microsoft and make a OS for anything yeah that sounds like a cool idea but look at the headaches for themselves and the users. I say NO here's why, its like forcing Mercedes Benz to be the price of a Honda. If we wanted cheap then everybody knows how to get to a Walmart and you don't need Google Maps to find one either. On that note people need to get over the notion using a cheap Compaq to run Mac OS X. It's beyond cheap it really pathetic of how low you can go and you have no shame about it. I hope Psystar and whoever support them suffer!