Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.6.2 to developers with dozens of fixes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
A pre-release build of the next update to Mac OS X 10.6 was seeded to developers Monday, bringing a long list of changes, fixes and tweaks.

People familiar with the latest build, dubbed 10C514, said the latest update has general focus areas that affect just about every facet of the operating system, from the applications like the Address Book and QuickTime, to services like Spotlight and Time Machine, and basic hardware functions like USB and Bluetooth. The disk image has a 445.4MB file size.

The update reportedly features dozens of areas of change, including fixes for AppleScript, graphics drivers, Xtype, OpenCL and more.

The pre-release build also allegedly comes with a handful of known issues, including hang-ups with the DVD player, crashing of the parental controls preference pane, and a glitch where the system does not recognize an optical drive.

Monday's release is the first that Mac OS X 10.6.2 has been seen by developers. It will become the second maintenance update for Snow Leopard.

Released just days after the launch of Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.1 addressed printer issues, updated the Adobe Flash Player plug-in, and resolved issues with the Mail application, among other fixes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    i'm worried to see airport not mentioned.

i wrestled with a fucking 2wire modem for an hour last night to get it to grab an IP.
  • Reply 2 of 65
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

i wrestled with a fucking 2wire modem for an hour last night to get it to grab an IP.

Odd. I'm using a 1st-gen Intel iMac running SL with a 2-wire modem. Had no problems whatsoever with obtaining an IP address using both the LAN port and in Wireless mode.

My MBA has no issues either with it. Has there been any tweaking with the 2-Wire box? Perhaps the firmware is out of date?
  • Reply 3 of 65
    I have an issue with network disconnections when copying files between my PC and Mac and the battery charging time is wrong. It can say there's an hour left to charge, then all of a sudden it is fully charged. Funny. The more I check how much time is left, it shows more and more time left to charge.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    What is Xtype? I've never heard of it in my 9 years of using Mac OS X. Google just turns up a typing tutorial program.
  • Reply 5 of 65
    zenatekzenatek Posts: 203member
    I work at an Apple reseller and I can state that the 2Wire wireless router is the biggest POS router on the planet! And that opinion was formed before Snow Leopard came out.

If someone walks in with flaky connection issues I always ask if they are with Telus (they give free 2wire routers with their internet contracts) 95% of the time they are. This was pre SL as well.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    i know i know..

i am traveling and staying in pre-furnished apartments.. so i have to take what i can get. i have a 20MB comcast connection with a dualband airport extreme at home. i am dying.

the apple discussion boards are full of people with 2wire issues post upgrading to SL. given i'd never fucking use a 2wire unless i had to- i took it that it wasn't just me.

but it's good to know 2wire is a POS. they really lucked out with their DSL monopoly- they don't even have to support it. AT&T does.. and well..

shitshow in effect
  • Reply 7 of 65
    Wishlist:

better drivers for the GTX 285

TRIM support so I can finally buy an SSD

Good to see Apple on the ball getting these updates out quickly
  • Reply 8 of 65
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I'd like to add to the harsh blows to the freebie modems given out to unwary customers. It's worth your hair staying on your crown to immediately throw their junk in the trash and get an Apple AE or other brand name that you're familiar with.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    milkymilky Posts: 1member
    Hope this update fixes the iPhoto 09 issues. Since upgrading to Snow Leopard, my system freezes and requires a hard reboot when I attempt to edit a photo. Seems to be an issue for a lot of Mac Mini users.

My Snow Leopard experience has been great otherwise. My Mini is so much quicker now.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    bartfatbartfat Posts: 434member
    Finally we get a fix for Time Machine! I was frustrated at repairing the hard drive, Disk Utility finding no errors, while DiskWarrior said there were about 40,000 and fixed them. And then said that the Time Machine image was "corrupted" and said error 109 that the backup image couldn't be read. And I never even touched the image apart from deleting it and backing up again from scratch a few days before. Time Machine worked perfectly on Leopard... I couldn't understand why it didn't work correctly on Snow Leopard. Anyway, glad Apple is finally coming out with a fix to that Oh, and utorrent (microtorrent) causes a kernel panic (forcing a hard reboot) every so often whenever it's run, whereas it didn't on Leopard... but that's not Apple's fault at least.
  • Reply 11 of 65
    How about Mobile Accounts sync? Mobile Sync is still broken on my 2 test clients with Leopard Server. I cannot roll out 10.6 at all until this is fixed. It works on initial start up then after about an hour it loses connection to the AFP server and requires a full restart to be able to sync again. Unacceptable! It's like they didn't even test it at all in a networked environment!
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwarf420 View Post

How about Mobile Accounts sync? Mobile Sync is still broken on my 2 test clients with Leopard Server. I cannot roll out 10.6 at all until this is fixed. It works on initial start up then after about an hour it loses connection to the AFP server and requires a full restart to be able to sync again. Unacceptable! It's like they didn't even test it at all in a networked environment!

I'm going to rethink being an early adopter in the future.

I have SL working pretty smoothly on most everything now, but the upgrade seems to have caused me way more headaches than improvements. I feel like I got caught up in the hype.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Please apple - fix the finder!! Im sick of having to restart when files won't launch on double clicking them!, such as DMGs, Archives and PDFS - Its doing my head in! Argghhh.
  • Reply 14 of 65
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macboi View Post

Please apple - fix the finder!! Im sick of having to restart when files won't launch on double clicking them!, such as DMGs, Archives and PDFS - Its doing my head in! Argghhh.

Here's what's going on:

http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits...ta-madness.ars

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ator_code.html
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macboi View Post

Sadly, this now "Works as intended." Apple screwed this up by design. Sad really.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRR View Post

But your neighbor will have no problem.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Hopefully this fixes regressions in the graphics drivers which should to faster Macs.

I really like SL and fortunately don't have the issues many here complain about. SL has fixed so many things I can't see going back to Leopard at all. Plus it is snappy!!!!

Dave
  • Reply 18 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Hopefully this fixes regressions in the graphics drivers which should to faster Macs.

I really like SL and fortunately don't have the issues many here complain about. SL has fixed so many things I can't see going back to Leopard at all. Plus it is snappy!!!!

Dave

agreed
  • Reply 19 of 65
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    i'm hoping for a fix to the 'added leading to type 1 font' problem that is plaguing xpress users (among others). doubt it. but am still hoping.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Meanwhile, other developers are reporting that Safari seems snappier in build 10C514