Apple ads hint at thinner iMacs, lighter MacBooks, cheaper Mac minis

Comments

• Reply 141 of 177
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You do know you can buy PC laptops with i7s in them, don't you?

Well, let's hope Apple will shove them i5/i7 CPUs in them "super thin" iMacs... and figure out how to cool it all including dedicated GPUs. I'm not crossing my fingers though... ... Just something profit-wise that Apple will not want to "invest" in... Apple will try to get away with fast Core2Duos... Again, I'm not crossing my fingers. In any case, we'll see soon enough.
  • Reply 142 of 177
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

Gruber's reporting that Blu-Ray is once again not happening. What's this, the third year in a row that it's been rumored for inclusion in Macs, since every other computer manufacturer has offered it for that long of time?

I'm not surprised if there is no BluRay. No BluRay, no Corei5, no better GPU... seems weak but well, it's the iMac. Where form and style beats all... supposedly. But we could all be wrong and see 28", Radeon 4870, BluRay, Corei7 on the top end. Wouldn't that be nice.
  • Reply 143 of 177
    I don't see how Apple can avoid using the Clarksfield i7 CPUs... the iMac will be a laughingstock if it goes another revision with Core 2.

(Not that the iMac is taken seriously now by anyone except Apple fans)
  • Reply 144 of 177
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I'm not surprised if there is no BluRay. No BluRay, no Corei5, no better GPU... seems weak but well, it's the iMac. Where form and style beats all... supposedly. But we could all be wrong and see 28", Radeon 4870, BluRay, Corei7 on the top end. Wouldn't that be nice.

Yeah, instead of keeping up with the PC desktop market they'll just keep making them into laptops strapped to the back of nice monitors. Lame.
  • Reply 145 of 177
    Hi Everyone,

I have been wanting to get a Imac for a year now and i've been putting it off till they made a change to the current model. Since all the rumors have been out i have been keeping up with them. Patiently waiting for the new Imac arrivals. Which hopefully will be this week.

So i throughly check this site and the apple store website and since thursday this past week there are times when i try and go on and the site is loading with errors or not loading at all. I've done this at home and work so i dont think its my computer. But i get this feeling that there working on the site in the mist of the New Imac Arrivals!!!
  • Reply 146 of 177
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I wasn't aware Dell made an all in one, but I had a quick look and this is what I found.

You defend Apple for not producing a consumer desktop tower, but given how laptops dominate Apple's sales perhaps they should reconsider. The value for money the Dell tower gives is light years ahead of the all in ones, particularly the iMac.

1) Check out the 20” XPS One specs. (edit: looks like they finally dropped the aging 20” from the lineup and updated the 24”)

2) I defend ANY company’s choice to make or not to make a computer for a certain market segment. I also defend MS’ right to make an OS that requires them to use legacy code as their business model requires it, it just doesn’t fit my needs.

3) You keep calling things over priced and a rip off when you compare it to machines that are using desktop-grade components. As I stated, that makes every notebook a ripoff in your eyes. Some people want AIO for the reason that there are less wires, less setup, less hassle and it that it takes up less space. Why you have a problem with that is beyond me. I know people that even go a step farther and have a notebook on their desk that they never travel with. Their money; their choice. Not everyone needs to measure their dick my the size of their PC tower.

4) Stop making business personal and you’ll be happier.

PS: Try trying looking at more than the number of cores in a processor. The E8200 used in the cheapest XPS One is a worse performer than the cheapest iMac, which is still $100 cheaper than the XPS One after the rebate. There is L2, FSB, the other aspects to CPUs that make more or less viable outside of the superficial counting of cycle or cores.
  • Reply 147 of 177
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    solipsism,

I admire your desire to educate the unwashed masses (change that to unlearned masses), but I believe you're talking to a brick wall. They have received your message many times, but they wear blinders - "none are so blind as those who will not see." Remember, there are people who believe what they hear on Fox. Why waste your time?

OK, maybe your post is a reminder to the rest of us who buy Macs and can't understand why some users buy PC's.
  • Reply 148 of 177
    Quote:

Clarksfield is 65W TDP right? Way too hot for thinner iMacs. No Clarksfield, I think. Just bumped Core2Duo specs.

Apple is already using the fastest Core 2 Duo made. How are they going to bump it?

Clarksfield draws 45W for the 1.6 and 1.73GHz and 55W for the insanely expensive 2.0GHz model.

That's exactly the same as the 35W Core 2 Duo that requires a separate 10W memory controller chip.

The low power Nehalem Xeon draws the same 45W, runs at 1.83GHz and costs significantly less than the 1.6GHz Clarksfield.

For higher performance they can go with the 2.26GHz Xeon that draws 60W, but costs only half as much as the 55W 2.0GHz Clarksfield.

I know it seems strange to be promoting a "server" chip in the iMac, but they're faster per watt and significantly faster per dollar.
  • Reply 149 of 177
    Quote:

Or alternatively, Dell also offer this choice:

Dell Studio XPS - i7 Quad 3.06ghz, blu-ray RW, drive, 8gb RAM, 2tb HD, GeForce GTS 240, 19 in 1 media card reader, 802.11n, 23" 1080p screen, wired keyboard and mouse.

UK price = £1550.

You defend Apple for not producing a consumer desktop tower, but given how laptops dominate Apple's sales perhaps they should reconsider. The value for money the Dell tower gives is light years ahead of the all in ones, particularly the iMac.

Speaking of the blind. Yeah. People need educating why they need to spend 3 times as much for a laptop on a stick...with an ageing duo and sub-par low end gpu. Yup. Spirals in eyes*

'I want an core duo in my iMac...because it performs ok...yes...I want it thinner...because...it will be thinner...I want to pay more for my iMac...because it offers more value that way...'

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 150 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Apple is already using the fastest Core 2 Duo made. How are they going to bump it?

Clarksfield draws 45W for the 1.6 and 1.73GHz and 55W for the insanely expensive 2.0GHz model.

Clarksfield well outperforms those Core 2 Duos. You're focusing on one clock speed and not the other- the very aggressive Turbo Boost speed that the new processors can overclock one or two cores to.
  • Reply 151 of 177
    naive question here, I am following the apple 'scene' for a long time, and I cant remember a product redesign that appeared on the market without an event. Every single ipod, iphone and mac design update or product introduction had some kind of an event, but it does not seem like an event is happening, doesn't apple usually notify long before?
  • Reply 152 of 177
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spect21 View Post

naive question here, I am following the apple 'scene' for a long time, and I cant remember a product redesign that appeared on the market without an event. Every single ipod, iphone and mac design update or product introduction had some kind of an event, but it does not seem like an event is happening, doesn't apple usually notify long before?

I know they haven't all had an event, but I can't say for sure which ones did not. I believe though that when the iBook transitioned to the white plastic MacBook, there was no event. The "lighter" new Macbook and "thinner" iMac will probably look very similar to todays offerings anyhow.
  • Reply 153 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

A twice as high Mini that has what you want would also very likely overlap in price with iMacs and cannibalize sales of those. Unless Apple abandons the iMac concept as it's midrange desktop solution, which doesn't seem likely at present, you simply aren't going to see a small tower in between the current Mini and Pro.

I do not understand the cannibalize the iMac sales argument. So what if it does? An actual desktop made from desktop parts would be cheaper to produce than an iMac (laptop parts are always more expensive) and that is with a monitor. Remove the monitor and keep the iMac price point and you have something that makes Apple even more money......... So if its not profit it must be something else.
  • Reply 154 of 177
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Clarksfield well outperforms those Core 2 Duos. You're focusing on one clock speed and not the other- the very aggressive Turbo Boost speed that the new processors can overclock one or two cores to.

___________ 4 cores _ 3 cores _ 2 cores _ 1 core _ list price

Xeon L3426 2.13GHz_2.13GHz_3.06GHz_3.20GHz $284

Ci7-720QM 1.73GHz_1.73GHz_2.40GHz_2.80GHz $364

C2D E8435____________________3.06GHz__________ less than $530 (price of the more expensive T9900)

Ci7-820QM 2.00GHz_2.00GHz_2.80GHz_3.06GHz $546

Ci7-920XM 2.26GHz_2.26GHz_3.06GHz_3.20GHz $1,054

So according to Intel's numbers, while the Ci7-820QM is capable of running 2 threads as fast as the E8435, it will not be running like that all the time, it's also more expensive than the E8435.

Truly faster processors than the E8435 are the Xeon L3426 and the Ci7-920XM (but the latter costs at least 2x the price of the E8435, and that means that a 24" based on this cpu will probably cost about $2799).

I don't see any incentive to move to Clarksfield for the iMac. With it's lower price and very good performances, the Xeon L3426 is such a better fit for the iMac, and according to what Intel is doing with L55xx Xeons, this cpu could easily scale up to 2.40/2.53GHz within a 60W TDP envelop, at much more affordable prices than Clarksfield.
  • Reply 155 of 177
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    It's a well known fact that Intel has made rebranded, slightly modified versions of their chips to suit Apple's needs. I would not be surprised to see chips like the Xeon L34XX series, marketed under the regular Core i7 name so as not to create confusion in the marketplace.
  • Reply 156 of 177
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

It's a well known fact that Intel has made rebranded, slightly modified versions of their chips to suit Apple's needs. I would not be surprised to see chips like the Xeon L34XX series, marketed under the regular Core i7 name so as not to create confusion in the marketplace.

I've got absolutly no problem with that, since the Xeon L34xx has all the features of any other Core i7 cpu + ECC memory support.
  • Reply 157 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjteix View Post

So according to Intel's numbers, while the Ci7-820QM is capable of running 2 threads as fast as the E8435, it will not be running like that all the time, it's also more expensive than the E8435.

With hyperthreading, it's actually capable of running four threads at that speed. And there are a number of minor architectural improvements which make an i7 processor faster than Core 2 clock-for-clock, plus that on-die memory controller. But I digress.
  • Reply 158 of 177
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Here are my mockups from last year. Thinner, sexier, going to Glass + Aluminium with LED backlighting.

Yeah, that's one of those designs where you see it for the first time and think to yourself 'why hasn't that been around before now?'

Instant classic, and far more elegant that what Mr. Ive was able to come up with for the alu iMac. Its clean and minimal, and it makes the current iMac look really dated.

I hope you're right ? I'd love to see Apple producing an iMac like this!
  • Reply 159 of 177
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Yeah, that's one of those designs where you see it for the first time and think to yourself 'why hasn't that been around before now?'

Instant classic, and far more elegant that what Mr. Ive was able to come up with for the alu iMac. Its clean and minimal, and it makes the current iMac look really dated.

The Apple logo is offensively bright in that design. I don't mind seeing one but it has to be subtle, your one is far too distracting.
  • Reply 160 of 177
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Yeah, I think NVIDIA nailed that one.