Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.6.2 to developers with dozens of fixes

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 65
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I'll wait a bit before upgrading to 10.6.2 when it comes out. My system is stable compared to when I first loaded the 10.6.0. Mail and the Finder don't crash and I have a printer driver. Yippie! That's good enough for me.



    I may skip 10.6.2 unless in has some new feature in it that make my eyes pop out.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Based on the history of past 10.x.2 releases, I expect 10.6.2 to be released during October.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kirkgray View Post


    Sadly, this now "Works as intended." Apple screwed this up by design. Sad really.



    i am confused. my dmgs, pdf, etc work fine with finder. Am i missing something?
  • Reply 24 of 65
    Did they fix Exposé? The 10.6 re-implementation was so useless (to me and many others) that I reverted to 10.5.8 after battling with it for a while.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmeister92 View Post


    Wishlist:



    better drivers for the GTX 285

    TRIM support so I can finally buy an SSD



    Good to see Apple on the ball getting these updates out quickly



    What is TRIM? I have swithced to a SSD in my MBP 13" after a week and it works fine as far I have noticed! And its fast... Swooooosh :-)
  • Reply 26 of 65
    I hope people who crib here have taken the time to actually submit a bug report to Apple using their website. Here is a link. http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html



    Personally, I am still enjoying Leopard while the SL disc in the shelf next to my Mac keeps taunting me. I am waiting for 10.6.2 to settle before I upgrade with a combo update to 10.6.2.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    talksense101, you'll enjoy the new install/upgrade process. Updates are cobbled together in the beginning so you can go make a sandwich and come back when it's finished.



    Unless I missed something, the delta vs. combo update paradigm has been dropped. I only saw one version of the update. So I guess this means we can enjoy the simplicity of updating our computers via the Software Update panel.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    There are definitely some WiFi issues that need to be resolved. I've been able to reliably reproduce MAC errors via WiFi on the same Macs that don't show the same error when booted in 10.5.x. I really hope Apple fixes this.
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post


    I hope people who crib here have taken the time to actually submit a bug report to Apple using their website. Here is a link. http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html



    I've sent in @ 100 bug reports involving Adobe CS4 and crashing while saving (do a google search). Wonder if Apple will include a fix for this EXOTIC bug seeing that "saving" and "saving as" are so rarely used. Having one of the Macs largest installed app having such a problem should have gotten their attention. By the way, when was the automatic bug report added to OS X? 10.6.1 was the first time I've encountered it. Now I see it EVERY time I use CS4. WELCOME BACK STEVE! WITH THIS RELEASE OF OS X YOU CAN STOP TAKING SHOTS AT VISTA!
  • Reply 30 of 65
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cassnate6259 View Post


    I'm going to rethink being an early adopter in the future.



    I have SL working pretty smoothly on most everything now, but the upgrade seems to have caused me way more headaches than improvements. I feel like I got caught up in the hype.



    That's a good idea if you just want things to work. Early adopting is really for the tech-saavy who can't wait and don't mind going through the growing pains because they are enjoying the new features and can work around the broken ones.



    I think Apple did themselves a disservice by releasing SL earlier than expected. It caught many developers off guard and software that almost every Mac user uses, such as Growl and 1Password were not ready at all for the release.



    But, I'm still enjoying it nonetheless. I'm slowly but surely replacing all my software with 64-bit versions. Next, the kernel. Then the 6-4 reboot
  • Reply 31 of 65
    hzchzc Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davebhc View Post


    I've sent in @ 100 bug reports involving Adobe CS4 and crashing while saving (do a google search). Wonder if Apple will include a fix for this EXOTIC bug seeing that "saving" and "saving as" are so rarely used. Having one of the Macs largest installed app having such a problem should have gotten their attention. By the way, when was the automatic bug report added to OS X? 10.6.1 was the first time I've encountered it. Now I see it EVERY time I use CS4. WELCOME BACK STEVE! WITH THIS RELEASE OF OS X YOU CAN STOP TAKING SHOTS AT VISTA!



    CS4 has always given me headaches, even with Leopard, and not just while saving. It crashes almost every time I use it, sometimes while just scrolling with the mouse.



    Adobe is one of the last remaining companies with software that is so expensive. They should be serving up updates much more often.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwarf420 View Post


    How about Mobile Accounts sync? Mobile Sync is still broken on my 2 test clients with Leopard Server. I cannot roll out 10.6 at all until this is fixed. It works on initial start up then after about an hour it loses connection to the AFP server and requires a full restart to be able to sync again. Unacceptable! It's like they didn't even test it at all in a networked environment!



    By Leopard Server you mean 10.5.x?



    I don't think Apple officially support 10.6 clients on older servers - the other way (older clients on new server) is.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by talksense101 View Post


    I hope people who crib here have taken the time to actually submit a bug report to Apple using their website. Here is a link. http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html



    Personally, I am still enjoying Leopard while the SL disc in the shelf next to my Mac keeps taunting me. I am waiting for 10.6.2 to settle before I upgrade with a combo update to 10.6.2.



    That's not the actual bug reporter link: it's at http://radar.apple.com. You'll need a developer account, but the free one will do.



    Using radar, though, they expect you to write your reports in a certain format, with expected results and actual results, and steps to reproduce. It's more effort than just a sentence saying "Airport doesn't work right".



    Amorya
  • Reply 34 of 65
    Audio over the mini DisplayPort?
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davebhc View Post


    I've sent in @ 100 bug reports involving Adobe CS4 and crashing while saving (do a google search). Wonder if Apple will include a fix for this EXOTIC bug seeing that "saving" and "saving as" are so rarely used. Having one of the Macs largest installed app having such a problem should have gotten their attention. By the way, when was the automatic bug report added to OS X? 10.6.1 was the first time I've encountered it. Now I see it EVERY time I use CS4. WELCOME BACK STEVE! WITH THIS RELEASE OF OS X YOU CAN STOP TAKING SHOTS AT VISTA!



    Not Just CS4. When I try to save web pages as PDFs from Safari, they save correctly, but then Safari randomly crashes after the save. When I save MS Office 2008 documents, they save crrectly but randomly the Office apps crash after the save.



    Also importing into Office 2008 Apps ramdomly causes crashes. Like importing a jpg into Power Point results in random crashes.



    Most of the time it all works according to plan, but the randomness is just frequent enough to be annoying and makes me wonder if SL did not fully install properly... or are these just bugs in SL
  • Reply 36 of 65
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,606member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hzc View Post


    CS4 has always given me headaches, even with Leopard, and not just while saving. It crashes almost every time I use it, sometimes while just scrolling with the mouse.



    Adobe is one of the last remaining companies with software that is so expensive. They should be serving up updates much more often.



    After evaluating CS4 we stuck with CS3 as we just could not justify the upgrade cost. Looks like we were right to as we have had ZERO issues with CS3 on SL.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,606member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheFatWookie View Post


    Not Just CS4. When I try to save web pages as PDFs from Safari, they save correctly, but then Safari randomly crashes after the save. When I save MS Office 2008 documents, they save crrectly but randomly the Office apps crash after the save.



    Also importing into Office 2008 Apps ramdomly causes crashes. Like importing a jpg into Power Point results in random crashes.



    Most of the time it all works according to plan, but the randomness is just frequent enough to be annoying and makes me wonder if SL did not fully install properly... or are these just bugs in SL



    Did you install SL ove an existing Leopard install or wipe the system and install from fresh?



    We backed up and erased all of our systems before installing SL and we have had no issues whatsoever.



    On my own iMac 24" ALU 3.06Ghz I run the following daily without any crashes



    Office 2008 (mainly word and excel)

    Mail

    iChat

    Adium

    iCal

    Safari

    iPhoto

    iTunes (seems to take a bit longer to load up since v9)

    Rapidweaver

    CS3 (mainly photoshop and Dreamweaver)

    Parallels Desktop

    Rivet (media sharing to 360 & PS3)

    World of Warcraft
  • Reply 38 of 65
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post


    Unless I missed something, the delta vs. combo update paradigm has been dropped. I only saw one version of the update.



    Maybe because there has only been one 10.6.x update so far?



    A single data point does not make a trend.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post


    Did you install SL ove an existing Leopard install or wipe the system and install from fresh?



    We backed up and erased all of our systems before installing SL and we have had no issues whatsoever.



    On my own iMac 24" ALU 3.06Ghz I run the following daily without any crashes



    Office 2008 (mainly word and excel)

    Mail

    iChat

    Adium

    iCal

    Safari

    iPhoto

    iTunes (seems to take a bit longer to load up since v9)

    Rapidweaver

    CS3 (mainly photoshop and Dreamweaver)

    Parallels Desktop

    Rivet (media sharing to 360 & PS3)

    World of Warcraft



    It was over the most updated version of Leopard. I debated doing a wipe and clean install like I do witn my Windows machines, but I have had such good luck with just letting the Apple stuff upgrade the way it sees fit.... until now? Still not sure I have a good understanding of the the whole "Archive and Install" process or what it does. I know it suppose to completely replace the previous OS.... but why archive it...? what does that do. If I use Archive and install, do I need to reinstall aps? can I then delete the old archive..? Is that really the point of "Archive and Install"... to in effect wipe the system and install new but leave all other apps in places? does doing this mean the apps are left in place but you need to recreate individual settings for them? So many questions. My main reason for not doing the wipe clean and install clean was so I did not have to reload not only my whole computer, but then re-syncing two AppleTVs with 40 GB of stuff on each.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post


    i'm hoping for a fix to the 'added leading to type 1 font' problem that is plaguing xpress users (among others). doubt it. but am still hoping.



    Glad to see someone still cares about Xpress. Still my fav.
Sign In or Register to comment.