VMware announces Fusion 3 with more than 50 new features

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
VMware Tuesday announced the latest update to its Fusion virtualization software, with a new version optimized for Snow Leopard and sporting full support for Windows 7, including Aero.

Oct. 27 is the worldwide launch date for VMware Fusion 3, now available for pre-order. VMware has said that the latest version will include more than 50 new features and enhancements, including greater support for graphics-intensive games in Windows.

"For more than 10 years, VMware virtualization has given users the choice of where to run their favorite applications. We're excited about the rapid adoption of VMware Fusion in the Mac community since its introduction just over two years ago, making it the No. 1 choice to run Windows on a Mac," said Jocelyn Goldfein, vice president and general manager, desktop business unit. "VMware Fusion 3 builds on our proven platform and makes it even easier for users to run Windows applications on the Mac."

VMware Fusion 3 has been optimized for Snow Leopard and takes advantage of the 64-bit architecture in Mac OS X 10.6. The new version will have a new 64-bit core engine to allow the "ultimate Windows 7 experience," offering Windows Aero and Flip 3D.

In addition, 3D graphics support will extend to OpenGL 2.1 and DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 3. Gamers will be able to run their favorite titles through Fusion 3 without rebooting.

The company has also touted that Fusion 3 will make it easier for users to migrate from PC to Mac, either wirelessly or with an ethernet cable.

"VMware Fusion has been designed from the beginning to make it easy to run Windows apps like Mac apps," the company said on its official blog. "VMware Fusion 3 makes it even better with the 'Always On' Applications Menu that banishes the Windows Start menu from your Mac and let’s you find and launch Windows apps like Mac apps, even when VMware Fusion is not running. Cycle through open Windows apps with 'command', quit individual Windows applications with 'command q', and use Dock Exposé with Windows apps."

VMware Fusion 3 has a retail price of $79.99 and will be available on Tuesday, Oct. 27. Those upgrading from previous versions of the application can do so at the discounted price of $39.99. Those who bought version 2 from Oct. 1, 2009 through the end of November will qualify for a free downloadable upgrade after filling out an online form and providing proof of purchase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    I've been in the Beta program and running the Version 3 Release Candidate for some time. Up until now I haven't been able to say anything under NDA. Now I can, and one word can sums this up: "Spectacular".

It's just like running Boot Camp in Snow Leopard - the speed, full Aero implementation.....it just blows version 2 and the competition away.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    Sweet! That feature set looks really nice. I'm just wondering how it can let you access and run Windows apps without having Fusion loaded. A bit lower upgrade price would be nice too, maybe $29?
  • Reply 3 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stellaclose View Post

I've been in the Beta program and running the Version 3 Release Candidate for some time. Up until now I haven't been able to say anything under NDA. Now I can, and one word can sums this up: "Spectacular".

It's just like running Boot Camp in Snow Leopard - the speed, full Aero implementation.....it just blows version 2 and the competition away.

That's great news - even better than Vmware's press release - I quite like Fusion but it does have it's issues (especially when hard drive space gets a bit low). Still this sounds great - I cannot wait.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    Quote:

Interesting. I have been suing Parallels for some time because I had heard that it was best, but I have had multiple problems with it using my boot camp partition. In particular it has caused me to have to call Microsoft to re-authenticate several times. Maybe I will switch.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    Hopefully VMWare doesn't go down the path that Parallels did a year or so ago and load up on features at the expense of quality.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alkrantz View Post

Interesting. I have been suing Parallels for some time because I had heard that it was best, but I have had multiple problems with it using my boot camp partition. In particular it has caused me to have to call Microsoft to re-authenticate several times. Maybe I will switch.

Sure Parallels may be buggy in some instances - but to sue them over it seems harsh
  • Reply 7 of 57
    why pay when you can use virtualbox which works just as well and costs nothing?
  • Reply 8 of 57
    I'm sorry, but I just can't get excited about running Windows on my Mac.

All I need Parallels for is so I can test websites in IE6 and up. WinXP and Parallels do that well enough to accomplish the *chore* that is windows.
  • Reply 9 of 57
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

I don't care about Aero I need da speed. Fusion 2.0.x is much better and more stable, I switched over from Parallels several months ago and haven't looked back.

I wouldn't mind a bit of gaming on Fusion 3 but right now I just need Windows for browser testing - I have to use XP, since Windows Vista/7 won't let you run IE6 with that "multiple-ie" program.

Let's see the speed, smoothness and stability. And yeah let's hope it won't get bogged down with feature creep.

64bit Fusion will be nice. But I will be running XP2 mostly still. Because idiots still use IE6.

BTW I've been gaming and browsing web on Windows 7 on my gaming PC... No way in hell I will go back to Vista.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

I'm just wondering how it can let you access and run Windows apps without having Fusion loaded.

I think that must mean "pre-loaded". Obviously you can't run Windows apps with Fusion (or any other VM software) without running it. It probably just means that ".exe" files are set to open with Fusion, which then understands to launch the .exe when it finishes loading. I don't think there is anything miraculous going on here.

(although, it could potentially open some interesting security holes)
  • Reply 11 of 57
    For those more educated than me in virtualising software, which one is to buy? I have not really looked in to either one, but always having to boot up in Boot Camp is starting to get annoying....So is either one of them an option, and if yes then which one?

Thanks!!
  • Reply 12 of 57
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Now all we need is the Windows version of Fusion to run OS X, so those of us that run 3ghz+ Quad Cores can use our favorite OS.

I have a Phenom II 955 system recently built that's condemmed to a life of running Windows.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

I'm a fan of VirtualBox, too, but it looks like Fusion has significantly more support for 64-bit, hardware acceleration, integration, and migration. Definitely try VirtualBox as it's free and does the basic "I need to run an old Windows IE browser to check my website" task. But that doesn't mean you don't get what you pay for with VMWare.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Now all we need is the Windows version of Fusion to run OS X, so those of us that run 3ghz+ Quad Cores can use our favorite OS.

I have a Phenom II 955 system recently built that's condemmed to a life of running Windows.

Just run linux man!! I would! Ubuntu is nice!
  • Reply 15 of 57
    I think I'll be sticking with 2.06. No issues with it and works fine. I'll upgrade when there is a huge compelling feature that requires a newer version.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    How do I check whatever a game of mine is 64-bit or not?

To the person who was a Fusion 3 beta tester: Is the difference between running games on Boot Camp and Fusion 3 noticeable? I use Windows just to play my games, and it would be nice if I could buy Fusion since I don't like splitting my HD in 2 parts...
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Sure Parallels may be buggy in some instances - but to sue them over it seems harsh

haha! oops. Hopefully it is clear to everyone that I meant USING.....I am most definitely NOT suing Parallels....sorry typing to fast its typical for me.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

I am a web developer who uses virtualization for testing, some time ago I worked for a company that would not buy me any virtualization software and I used Virtual Box instead...my experience with it was not at all good. The two particular gripes that come to mind are that it crashed regularly and I couldn't drag and drop things from one system to the other. That being said, it was some time ago and maybe it has gotten better, not to mention Parallells isn't exactly bug free either.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post

For those more educated than me in virtualising software, which one is to buy? I have not really looked in to either one, but always having to boot up in Boot Camp is starting to get annoying....So is either one of them an option, and if yes then which one?

Thanks!!

My own personal experience? I use my MPB 17 C2D at home to write iPhone apps, and at my "day job" under XP2 Professional to access proprietary "windows only" apps. While I credit Parallels for the initial ability to use my Mac to run windows and OS X simultaneously, my Parallels experience was less than pleasant. Angry and frustrated, a friend suggested I try the VMware Fusion beta.

To my amazement, the VMware Fusion beta ran circles around the released version of Parallels, and without any of the annoying issues that Parallels had at the time. I even paid for Parallels "support" that was worthless. Although listening to a heavily accented support person grunt and groan through his scripted support script was somewhat amusing, nothing was fixed.

The final straw? When Parallels bombarded their users with offers for a "new and improved" version that was buggier than most betas. Then they had the nerve to fight me tooth and nail when I demanded a refund, which was never granted until I got my bank involved.

So my take?

VMware Fusion =

Parallels =

You choose.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

you can run OS X in vmware. you just have to do some hacking and maybe download a copy of BT