Apple seeds Mac OS X 10.6.2 to developers with dozens of fixes

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

What is TRIM? I have swithced to a SSD in my MBP 13" after a week and it works fine as far I have noticed! And its fast... Swooooosh :-)

it's a special command to optimize how the OS talks to SSD's to make it faster. SSD's read and write data differently than hard disks so Apple and Microsoft had to put this command into their OS's.
  • Reply 42 of 65
    has anyone noticed what they did in 10.6 with expose and cmd-tab? that huge blue rectangle that appears before the window shows in the screen doesn't look good

wonder if they intended this?
  • Reply 43 of 65
    Is the Airport Extreme Base Station still a recommended buy.
  • Reply 44 of 65
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apsynknod View Post

When wasn't it? If you have primarily Macs it is the simplest to configure and maintain.
  • Reply 45 of 65
    First off, I'm NOT trolling, I upgraded both my Macs days after SL was released.

That said, there seems to be an awful lot of fixes not long after SL went gold. For an OS that was supposed to be about quality and stability instead of new features this is somewhat akin to a bad joke.

Unlike MS with their slew of security patches - these are FUNCTIONALITY fixes. Sad.
  • Reply 46 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarkAllan View Post

Did they fix Exposé? The 10.6 re-implementation was so useless (to me and many others) that I reverted to 10.5.8 after battling with it for a while.

Dit it fall on Exposé alone?
  • Reply 47 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

Did it fall on Exposé alone?

Yes, I'm afraid it did. I had gone to the trouble of finding work-arounds for all the other issues and incompatibilities, but I use Exposé and Spaces so frequently that it was simply unworkable. I actually thought that my using it so much would help me adjust to the new implementation quickly, and I gave it a full month of trying, but I just couldn't get used to the new behaviour.

I won't list all the issues I had with it (unless others want me to) as it'd basically take over the thread because I know some people like the new way and I don't want to start a flame war. All I'm hoping for is a preference option to have the old behaviour back.
  • Reply 48 of 65
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    I would like to see just one bug fixed: Allow the dimmest screen setting to be saved upon reboot.
  • Reply 49 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pondosinatra View Post

First off, I'm NOT trolling, I upgraded both my Macs days after SL was released.

That said, there seems to be an awful lot of fixes not long after SL went gold. For an OS that was supposed to be about quality and stability instead of new features this is somewhat akin to a bad joke.

Unlike MS with their slew of security patches - these are FUNCTIONALITY fixes. Sad.

Agreed. I updated a few days after the release, and reverted to Leopard a week later. The OS update was $29, but getting fixes to all the programs that it broke was over a $100; not counting the innumerable updates I had to download that were free. And then the data-destroying Rosetta problems.

I never had a Rosetta blue screen, but 4 WindowServer crashes apart from that (each reported to Apple via CrashReporter). No real new functionality for the end user, a lot of work for developers, and a scad of upgrades for end users. Snow Leopard needed more time before release.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    So what about Blu-Ray movie playback support?! I have to imagine that the imminent iLife '10 will support Blu-Ray movie burning... It had best be 100% 64-bit too, including iTunes! Front Row needs to go 64-bit, but that's probably timed with the next Apple TV update... Not to mention DVD Player and Grapher...
  • Reply 51 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daniel B View Post

Audio over the mini DisplayPort?

I will second that motion!!!
  • Reply 52 of 65
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apsynknod View Post

I have two: one at the "office" and one at my "home office".

Both have worked flawlessly since day one ( almost two years now) and have not stumbled at all with the upgrade to SL.

It's the only way I ever connect to my MPB 17 C2D
  • Reply 53 of 65
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davebhc View Post

I've sent in @ 100 bug reports involving Adobe CS4 and crashing while saving (do a google search). Wonder if Apple will include a fix for this EXOTIC bug seeing that "saving" and "saving as" are so rarely used. Having one of the Macs largest installed app having such a problem should have gotten their attention. By the way, when was the automatic bug report added to OS X? 10.6.1 was the first time I've encountered it. Now I see it EVERY time I use CS4. WELCOME BACK STEVE! WITH THIS RELEASE OF OS X YOU CAN STOP TAKING SHOTS AT VISTA!

That gem is on Adobe.
  • Reply 54 of 65
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

I would like to see just one bug fixed: Allow the dimmest screen setting to be saved upon reboot.

Me too. I've submitted a bug report via ADC Bug Reporter on that exact issue, and hopefully the problem will be fixed. If you set the Brightness slider on System Preferences > Display just above the minimum, the setting should be retained across reboots (at least that is true on a iMac 7,1).
  • Reply 55 of 65
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Somewhat off-topic, but interesting nonetheless:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/10624
  • Reply 56 of 65
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

I've sent in @ 100 bug reports involving Adobe CS4 and crashing while saving (do a google search). Wonder if Apple will include a fix for this EXOTIC bug seeing that "saving" and "saving as" are so rarely used. Having one of the Macs largest installed app having such a problem should have gotten their attention. By the way, when was the automatic bug report added to OS X? 10.6.1 was the first time I've encountered it. Now I see it EVERY time I use CS4. WELCOME BACK STEVE! WITH THIS RELEASE OF OS X YOU CAN STOP TAKING SHOTS AT VISTA!

When i first started using SL, CS4 crashed all the time when saving and save for web. After 10.6.1 came out, those issues went away. Try reinstalling 10.6.1 using the Combo updater.
  • Reply 57 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A pre-release build of the next update to Mac OS X 10.6 was seeded to developers Monday, bringing a long list of changes, fixes and tweaks.

People familiar with the latest build, dubbed 10C514, said the latest update has general focus areas that affect just about every facet of the operating system, from the applications like the Address Book and QuickTime, to services like Spotlight and Time Machine, and basic hardware functions like USB and Bluetooth. The disk image has a 445.4MB file size.

The update reportedly features dozens of areas of change, including fixes for AppleScript, graphics drivers, Xtype, OpenCL and more.

The pre-release build also allegedly comes with a handful of known issues, including hang-ups with the DVD player, crashing of the parental controls preference pane, and a glitch where the system does not recognize an optical drive.

Monday's release is the first that Mac OS X 10.6.2 has been seen by developers. It will become the second maintenance update for Snow Leopard.

Released just days after the launch of Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.6.1 addressed printer issues, updated the Adobe Flash Player plug-in, and resolved issues with the Mail application, among other fixes.

Does anyone know if the SL 10.6.2 version has an update for the Geforce GTX 285 Mac Edition. If so, does it correct the power management problem of the GTX 285?
  • Reply 58 of 65
    Quote:

How is it Apple's fault that Adobe's program but no one elses seems to be having this issue? If anything that bug report list should be sent to Adode who given the number of issues in CS4 seems to hire programmers from Bizzaro World.

Bizzarro Cyborg: I learn about tech-no-lo-gyyyy. Watch me interface with computer. (Slams head into monitor)

Only in Adobe's case the programmer slams his head into the keyboard.

Seriously, given that CS4 stayed 32 bit on the Mac odds are is the program uses Carbon and I further suspect that some unsupported 64 Carbon calls are in the thing. Hence the problems.
  • Reply 59 of 65
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:

There is no comparison between SL and Vista. You can make them, but public opinion at large decides the issue, not those of us trapped in the MacRumors bubble.

Everyone's got their anecdotal experiences, but so far, there's been no discernible uproar of any kind. But you're more than welcome to try to create one.
  • Reply 60 of 65
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Did they fix Expose? Chug, chug, struggle, struggle...

What about the font rendering? Hey, I know, I'll just render this font without any regard to the pixel grid, hey that's a good idea. What, it's blurry? How dare you say that about my Platonic perfectionism.