AT&T to allow Skype calls via its 3G network on iPhone [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Boy, the schools need to start teaching business 101 to high schoolers.

And, you might add, basement-dwellers!
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Can anyone say Kodak?

Kodak.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Polaroid.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Skype president responds:

Quote:

Since launching our iPhone application six months ago, people have downloaded and installed Skype on 10% of all iPhone and iPod touch devices sold - making it clear that people are extremely interested in taking Skype conversations with them on the go.

All of us at Skype applaud today's announcement by AT&T (in an FCC filing to be published shortly ? update, it's here in PDF format) that it'll open up its 3G network to Internet calling applications such as Skype. It's the right step for AT&T, Apple, millions of mobile Skype users and the Internet itself.

Nonetheless, the positive actions of one company are no substitute for a government policy that protects openness and benefits consumers. We're all looking forward to further developments that will let people use Skype on any device, on any network.

http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2009..._move_att.html
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Color me surprised by AT&T. I never would have thought they'd allow this. The skeptical side of me is waiting for how they cripple it...
  • Reply 26 of 37
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Just in time. I was about to ditch my international calling card after they doubled their rates. Going to use Skype full time now
  • Reply 27 of 37
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I think carriers can slowly kiss voice revenue goodbye. Horray!

Then again, it wouldn't be out of the question for AT&T to buy Skype, or even Vonage.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Then again, it wouldn't be out of the question for AT&T to buy Skype, or even Vonage.

Excellent point.

Although, I hope it's not Vonage -- I was an early adopter, much to my dismay. There are some things that you experience that you shudder at the prospect of having to deal with again (e.g., an appendectomy), and Vonage was like that. \
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Skype president responds:

http://share.skype.com/sites/en/2009..._move_att.html

Note to Skype: the government isn't going to legislate you a market. Unless you give enough money to the right politicians, at least.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    How do you use it on iPhone?
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Not really. Kodak is still in business, and doesn't look to be going anywhere soon. Polaroid would be a better example. It went Bankrupt.

You missed his point, he was stating that carriers are at cross road like Kodak was with concern to digital and flim. Thy had to make some hard business decisions to ensure continued survival of company.

AT&T and other carriers will have decide what is their business model in future to adapt to the Skype/Vonage competition. It better start planning ahead, then wait for competition to become a threat and by then, you are behind in the game.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    What would we all be w/out GOOG?
  • Reply 33 of 37
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And, you might add, basement-dwellers!

Good point, as their parents pay for their iPhone plan anyway. As long as Mommy and Daddy pay for everything they don't need to know how the world really works.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Hasn't the ship already sailed on this one? I have the lowest calling plan possible for the iPhone. Still, my wife and I never come close to using up our minutes. If we were able to stop paying for minutes, we have enough roll-over minutes to live on for more than a year. Do we really need more voice options? Do enough people still use enough voice for it to matter? Could Skype even handle the load? I suspect many are in my boat where they are already at the minimum plan. AT&T will not be loosing anything from us. The only thing I see this effecting is the international market. What am I missing?
  • Reply 35 of 37
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Did I miss the start date for this Skype access on 3G?
  • Reply 36 of 37
    iChat for iPhone now?
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dr_lha View Post

Stop lumping GV and Skype together, they are completely different. GV uses barely any data (voicemail, SMS and initiating calls only), and calls made with GV use your AT&T minutes.

The issue of lumping GV & Skype is legitimate to consider. As AT&T is now introducing their A-List service, it is possible to use your GV number in your A-List for all incoming calls free. Also, initiating calls from GV on your computer pops your GV number on your Caller ID, and would make those calls free for outgoing calls.

Therefore, in the end, both VoIP based Skype and GV (which could easily become a VoIP service), use approximately the same order of magnitude of data, then it becomes not a voice "line" issue like clogging up a PBX or counting POTS line, but negotiable data packets at a much smaller magnitude than live video feeds, movie downloads, and heavy web browsing.

This brings me back to my main beef. In the end, I believe all voice service will be ***FREE***, but the cost will be bundled into the data as a minority, so carriers will price their model around the data plan, and your $30/month for the iPhone and others will become much more difficult to lower.