Microsoft considers extending Zune services to Apple users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 161
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Right... like the old Zune? People bought those too only to use them as doorstops a few months later due to Microsoft's inability to create a decent interface and their amazing ability to over-hype a product.

1.) The old Zune didn't get decent reviews.

2,) What are people using iPod HiFis these days for? Aren't they incompatible with today's iPods?
  • Reply 22 of 161
    Quote:

Right... like the old Zune? People bought those too only to use them as doorstops a few months later due to Microsoft's inability to create a decent interface and their amazing ability to over-hype a product.

The last generation of Zune really was good. The interface was on par, and perhaps better in some areas that the iPods (I'm comparing my experience with the 120 Zune and iPod classic).

I don't care if I can get my Zune Pass working on my iPod, I'd just like an OSX version of the Zune software so I can sync my Zune without booting Windows.
  • Reply 23 of 161
    Quote:

Myabe you should actually review the Zune HD, before passing comments (http://cnettv.cnet.com/zune-hd-vs-ip...-50077615.html). It is actually looks like a good product. I personally would not buy the Zune HD because i invested so much time and money into my iPhone. If I was a newbie going out to buy my first media player, I would give it serious consideration.

Zune Store allows iPod interface, not sure I can see that happening. Doesn't Apple make more money off the hardware, then the iTunes store? MS does the marketing and sells iPods for Apple, interesting concept.
  • Reply 24 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Myabe you should actually review the Zune HD, before passing comments (http://cnettv.cnet.com/zune-hd-vs-ip...-50077615.html). It is actually looks like a good product. I personally would not buy the Zune HD because i invested so much time and money into my iPhone. If I was a newbie going out to buy my first media player, I would give it serious consideration.

Zune Store allows iPod interface, not sure I can see that happening. Doesn't Apple make more money off the hardware, then the iTunes store? MS does the marketing and sells iPods for Apple, interesting concept.

I've been wanting a chance to at least look at the thing ( curious about the OLED screen) but it is always sold out and the floor model was removed for a week at Best BUy.
  • Reply 25 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

1.) The old Zune didn't get decent reviews.

2,) What are people using iPod HiFis these days for? Aren't they incompatible with today's iPods?

I always have to laugh at the people on this forum that want to continue the 1970 minset of MS aqainst Apple. Its even more idiotic considering if it wasnt for MS or MS users the ipod would be a dead product by now. Do they really believe all those sales come from Apple users, what a joke.

What if MS didn't allow itunes to load onto Windows. There would be about a 95% drop the following year in ipod sales.

Fact is if you couldn't sync an iphone or ipod to a windows system both would be dead. So bashing a company that help promote apples says seems kind of stupid to me.
  • Reply 26 of 161
    Anyone check out the sales rankings on Amazon for the Zune HDs? The Zune HD 16GB is about at 150th place, and the Zune 32GB HD has fallen to about 44th place:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...ef=pd_ts_e_nav

Of course, this lack of consumer interest can be extrapolated to other retailers. Also, MS short-supplied the retailers, so that the Zune HDs would appear to sell-out:

"Zune HD Quickly Selling Out at Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy"

"Of course, as commenters have pointed out, it's possible, if not probable, that Microsoft is using the time-tested tactic of short supply to make sure it sells out everywhere. Until we get some hard numbers, there's no way to tell. In the meantime, here's how it shakes down (notice Microsoft's online store seems to have plenty of units)."

http://tinyurl.com/n4ab87

Jobs is a visionary, while Gates is a dinosaur. MS tries to copy everything Apple does, and it is too late. This just smacks of desperation on MS's part.
  • Reply 27 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I always have to laugh at the people on this forum that want to continue the 1970 minset of MS aqainst Apple. Its even more idiotic considering if it wasnt for MS or MS users the ipod would be a dead product by now. Do they really believe all those sales come from Apple users, what a joke.

What if MS didn't allow itunes to load onto Windows. There would be about a 95% drop the following year in ipod sales.

Fact is if you couldn't sync an iphone or ipod to a windows system both would be dead. So bashing a company that help promote apples says seems kind of stupid to me.

I disagree with your comments, since it is not windows that makes iTunes, iPod, iPhone successful. If MS had not invented windows, we would have some other operating system being used by majority of people and Apple would have catered for that market.

MS can not stop iTunes from being loadied on windows or MS would found themselves in hot water with USA and EC commissions, since MS would be trying to control the market and their competition.

iPod/iPhone/iTunes are successful due to its seamless interface, Apple's innovation and able to ensure that their products work on all major operating systems.
  • Reply 28 of 161
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

I one that would welcome this change with open arms! I am an iPhone customer who loves the idea of the Zune Pass, $15 a month and you get to keep ten songs of your choice.

keep in mind that when you stop playing the monthly fee the other hundreds of songs are gone.

look at the math for a moment. To acquire 1000 songs for good with a zune pass, at 10 'keepers' a month ($15 a month), you'll spend 8 years and 4 months at a cost of $1500 plus any required taxes.

buying outright from itunes or Amazon, at the higher track cost of $1.29 that's $1290 plus any required taxes at most for a savings of $210 and you can have them as fast as your bandwidth and wishlist allows. And if you buy any albums that's more money saved, plus their are older tracks that are only 99 cents and some could dip as low as 69 cents if the labels feel inclined.

so you have to ask yourself, if it really as great a deal as you think.
  • Reply 29 of 161
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PocketRadio View Post

Anyone check out the sales rankings on Amazon for the Zune HDs? The Zune HD 16GB is about at 150th place, and the Zune 32GB HD has fallen to about 44th place:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers...ef=pd_ts_e_nav

Of course, this lack of consumer interest can be extrapolated to other retailers. Also, MS short-supplied the retailers, so that the Zune HDs would appear to sell-out:

"Zune HD Quickly Selling Out at Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy"

"Of course, as commenters have pointed out, it's possible, if not probable, that Microsoft is using the time-tested tactic of short supply to make sure it sells out everywhere. Until we get some hard numbers, there's no way to tell. In the meantime, here's how it shakes down (notice Microsoft's online store seems to have plenty of units)."

http://tinyurl.com/n4ab87

Jobs is a visionary, while Gates is a dinosaur. MS tries to copy everything Apple does, and it is too late. This just smacks of desperation on MS's part.

Right.... except Gates isn't in charge of Microsoft anymore, and Steve Jobs has been out of commission for the better half of a year at Apple.

So now you are an economic analyst who's able to look at data figures of total (presumably worldwide) sales of a device that is only available in *one* country, and through extensive calculations are able to conclude that a product highly rated, highly reviewed, and sells out in almost every retail market chain out there is, indeed, a "flop."

You know, if I'm not mistaken, I believe the first few iPods were considered a "flop" as well. Nothing really moved until the iPod nano, about six or seven generations and models in.
  • Reply 30 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

I disagree with your comments, since it is not windows that makes iTunes, iPod, iPhone successful. If MS had not invented windows, we would have some other operating system being used by majority of people and Apple would have catered for that market.

MS can not stop iTunes from being loading on windows or MS would found themselves in heat water with USA and EC commissions, since MS would be trying to control the market and their competition.

iPod/iPhone/iTunes are successful due to its seamless interface, Apple's innovation and able to ensure that their products work on all major operating systems.

You are incorrect. They are successful because Windows users decide to use them. Over 90% of ipods and iphones are synced to Windows systems.

Not sure how to respond to the if Windows was never invented. What I can say is I still doubt Apple would have been the OS leader seeing in 30 years they still haven't been able to come up with a decent Office Suite. Also if Apple really wanted to cater to the market they would have opened up their OS a long time ago. Clearly they can not manage all the hardware option out in the world like MS can.

Steve Jobs is one of the biggest protection freaks in the world.
  • Reply 31 of 161
    Quote:

You are incorrect. They are successful because Windows users decide to use them. Over 90% of ipods and iphones are synced to Windows systems.

Really- is that documented ? That is really informative.
  • Reply 32 of 161
    Wow, the MS haters are out today. Jumping to conclusions like a cat on cat nip, when they haven't seen the product yet.

Anyhow, I'm glad MS is doing this. Opening up their content to more than just their device is, well, mature.
  • Reply 33 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

keep in mind that when you stop playing the monthly fee the other hundreds of songs are gone.

look at the math for a moment. To acquire 1000 songs for good with a zune pass, at 10 'keepers' a month ($15 a month), you'll spend 8 years and 4 months at a cost of $1500 plus any required taxes.

buying outright from itunes or Amazon, at the higher track cost of $1.29 that's $1290 plus any required taxes at most for a savings of $210 and you can have them as fast as your bandwidth and wishlist allows. And if you buy any albums that's more money saved, plus their are older tracks that are only 99 cents and some could dip as low as 69 cents if the labels feel inclined.

Jobs and Co would jailbreak the iPod- just wait. You'd be left with a nice mirror in the Touch's case and a nice paperweight in the iPhone's case or a shingle and a brick- take your pick.
  • Reply 34 of 161
    Quote:

There would be about a 95% drop the following year in ipod sales.

...or 95% increase in Mac sales. Have to admit that the iPod I bought was the first step in going over to Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I have asked myself... and the answer is yes. Yes, it is, indeed, as great a deal as I thought ^_^.

If I followed the iTunes model that you described, I would either have to spend $1290 plus tax upfront, or wait 8 years and 4 months to acquire them all. In the meantime, I could spend $15 per month from the start, and have access to *ALL* of those songs immediately. The difference of $2000 would be the price to have an unlimited collection of new music available instantly for all those years.

Also, you may not be aware that the Zune pass and Zune software have other benefits as well. Think of iTunes Genius, how it organizes playlists for you based on the type of music in your library. Now, have that same functionality extended to songs you don't already own, songs that aren't in your library. This is an excellent feature of the Zune, where you can press a button that will fill up your player with tons of new music based off the songs you love. *AND,* the Zune will automatically refresh that list weekly and wirelessly, so every week new music is available on your device to discover and enjoy.

iTunes certainly doesn't do that.

I would see your point if the songs went away when the subscription ends, but like a lot of these services (Zune, Audible, etc), they allow you to keep a certain amount per month at no extra charge. Ten songs per month? Hell, that's more than I spend on iTunes today.

I'd be exposed to much more music than I otherwise would be able to legally, I can control what I could listen to as often as I'd like, I get to keep, essentially, one album per month, and the record industry gets more of my money in their greedy little hands than they otherwise would.

Again, iTunes does not do that.
  • Reply 36 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heavydevelopment View Post

...or 95% increase in Mac sales. Have to admit that the iPod I bought was the first step in going over to Apple.

Its unlikely to say the least that people will go out and spend 2000.00 so they can use an 199.00 product.

My point in all this is the bashing is stupid. As end users we want options, if anything it breeds better products from both sides and drives cost down. Its a win/win on out end either way.
  • Reply 37 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Wow, the MS haters are out today. Jumping to conclusions like a cat on cat nip, when they haven't seen the product yet.

Anyhow, I'm glad MS is doing this. Opening up their content to more than just their device is, well, mature.

Not to mention that the software, if any, would be an optional download

I can promise this, though. No matter how good it may be, you won't see a Zune app on the app store for anything more than 2 stars. Can you imagine how many haters would be on that thing just constantly downloading and deleting it to get the privilage of giving it 1 of out 5 simply for being a Microsoft product.

Sad, really, that people have such loyalties to business. Praise the product, not the company.
  • Reply 38 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

To blindly profess that all software Microsoft writes is crap is to rob yourself of ability to believe that competition encourages your favorite company to innovate.

Microshaft makes mediocre software at best. But most MS products are crap like you stated. I prefer other companies like Adobe, Oracle and 10 others. Apple always has always innovated regardless of the competition. The whole world would be better off without Microshaft. They strangle innovation, and try to kill competition illegally, as stated by numerous courts in the US and Europe. Without Windows, MS would probably not exist as a company.
  • Reply 39 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Really- is that documented ? That is really informative.

It was mentioned in a article in PC World about a year ago. Honestly I would have no clue how to find it now.

In any case its common sense when you look at market share and ipod/iphone sales.

That is unless people believe that every Apple user owns 35 ipods and 7 iphones.

Even if people were to go on the very low conservative side it would be hard to argue that 80% of these products are owned by Windows users.
  • Reply 40 of 161
    Quote:

Not sure how to respond to the if Windows was never invented. What I can say is I still doubt Apple would have been the OS leader seeing in 30 years they still haven't been able to come up with a decent Office Suite. Also if Apple really wanted to cater to the market they would have opened up their OS a long time ago. Clearly they can not manage all the hardware option out in the world like MS can.

Do you want to retract that statement ' They are successful because windows users decide to use them'

What was the reason windows users decided to purchase iPod/iPhone and use the iTunes store.

Again it has nothing to do with operating system, it could be OS2, Linux or even Souliisoul windows being the market leader. People buy iPod/iPhone because its the best product out there and seamless with whatever operating system on their PC.

Tell me why Zune never took off, since it is MS product and loyal windows users should have bought the product.

I do agree with one point, it useless bashing MS, since there mistakes are Apple's gains. MS keep up the good work