Microsoft considers extending Zune services to Apple users

Comments

• Reply 41 of 161
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fonejacker View Post

Microshaft makes mediocre software at best. But most MS products are crap like you stated. I prefer other companies like Adobe, Oracle and 10 others. Apple always has always innovated regardless of the competition. The whole world would be better off without Microshaft. They strangle innovation, and try to kill competition illegally, as stated by numerous courts in the US and Europe. Without Windows, MS would probably not exist as a company.

In what way has Microsoft tried to kill competition illegally? That's a pretty bold statement. And I suppose Apple's draconian control over the iPhone and app store, able to ban applications they consider "duplicating iPhone functionality" isn't stifling innovation or competition?

Apple does more to kill competition than Microsoft ever had. The different being that Apple isn't considered a monopoly, so they're allowed to do whatever they want, no matter how disgusting they may be. (And yes, I say that as an iPhone user).
  • Reply 42 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

In what way has Microsoft tried to kill competition illegally? That's a pretty bold statement. And I suppose Apple's draconian control over the iPhone and app store, able to ban applications they consider "duplicating iPhone functionality" isn't stifling innovation or competition?

Apple does more to kill competition than Microsoft ever had. The different being that Apple isn't considered a monopoly, so they're allowed to do whatever they want, no matter how disgusting they may be. (And yes, I say that as an iPhone user).

come lets not get carried away here, MS were the ones that were sued for their internet browser behavior, which affected numerous companies.

MS still has a great lead on Apple when it comes to killing competition, but I understand your point.
  • Reply 43 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Tell me why Zune never took off, since it is MS product and loyal windows users should have bought the product.

I do agree with one point, it useless bashing MS, since there mistakes are Apple's gains. MS keep up the good work

Because the Zune was a horrible product when it first came out, much like Windows Vista was, and still is, a horrible operating system. It was also only sold in two countries, the US and Canada.

The part you're mistaken of, my friend, is this concept of loyalty to ANY of these companies. I love the Mac and I own an iPhone, but that doesn't mean I'll ever be loyal to Apple. For one, I *hate* iTunes, but I learn to use and put up with it because its the only software that will talk to my iPhone. Speaking of which, I *hate* how restrictive the App Store is, but I feel that its still superior to any other mobile platform on the market (for now).

The same attitude fits Microsoft. I *hate* Vista, but love Windows 7. I think the Zune HD is a cool device, when previous generations made me yawn. I also love the Zune Pass subscription idea, even if the Zune software itself has much to be desired.

I'm not a fan of Apple or Microsoft. I'm a fan of products that work and are fantastic. The iPhone is a wonderful device. Windows 7 and the Zune are excellent products. But that doesn't mean that I'll automatically love the next product either company comes up with.
  • Reply 44 of 161
    Quote:

come lets not get carried away here, MS were the ones that were sued for their internet browser behavior, which affected numerous companies.

MS still has a great lead on Apple when it comes to killing competition, but I understand your point.

Microsoft was never sued for their internet browser. Ever. In fact, Microsoft has taken great care to make Windows 7 more modal, allowing users to completely uninstall any part of the operating system, including IE.

Hell, Microsoft caved to the European Union when they never really had to. So now, PC vendors can decide which browser to bundle with their computers (and which to take out), as well as presenting a ballot box for users to be able to download and install the latest version of any 3rd party browser.

Now look at Apple. You get.... Safari and iTunes. That's it. Whether you like it or not.... Which I certainly do not
  • Reply 45 of 161
    Quote:

Do you want to retract that statement ' They are successful because windows users decide to use them'

What was the reason windows users decided to purchase iPod/iPhone and use the iTunes store.

Again it has nothing to do with operating system, it could be OS2, Linux or even Souliisoul windows being the market leader. People buy iPod/iPhone because its the best product out there and seamless with whatever operating system on their PC.

Tell me why Zune never took off, since it is MS product and loyal windows users should have bought the product.

I do agree with one point, it useless bashing MS, since there mistakes are Apple's gains. MS keep up the good work

Your just one of those people that believe you are elite because you use an Apple product which is the single biggest downfall to Apple.

Not sure what is so funny the fact is if it wasn't for Windows users ipod sales would drop 90%. All you have to do is look at PC market share and anyone can come to the conclusion that without Windows users Apple product growth would be very limited.

I never said the ipod or iphone was a bad product, which is why Windows users use them. The Zune most likely never took off because it came to the market too late, after Apple had already been around a long time in that market. Its not rocket science. I know guys like you hold onto ipod sales for dear life because its the only thing Apple had lead in for 30 years.
  • Reply 46 of 161
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:

Now look at Apple. You get.... Safari and iTunes. That's it. Whether you like it or not.... Which I certainly do not

What are you going on about?

If you don't like Safari, uninstall it and install something else.

If you don't like iTunes, uninstall it and install something else.
  • Reply 47 of 161
    ted13ted13 Posts: 65member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

1.) The old Zune didn't get decent reviews.

2,) What are people using iPod HiFis these days for? Aren't they incompatible with today's iPods?

The Apple HiFis have a startlingly good sound. Frankly I wish I had bought one while they were still in production. They have digital audio in, so they aren't ever going to go obsolete -- they are ideal for deployment in different parts of your house, connected to an Airport Express via optical digital.

As for the Zune HD, judging by the Amazon sales charts, no it is not a hit. Very simple reason -- Apple's iPod Touch has double the capacity at 64GB, plus the App store. Microsoft is as usual competing with last year's model.
  • Reply 48 of 161
    Quote:

I have been in the IT industry for over 23 years. And knew MS when they were a small 8 man band. Most Court records are probably not available, despite the internet, for you to see how many times they were taken to Court and lost for cheating, illegal business activities, stealing code, (they attempted to steal QuickTime code), when Apple took them to Court once. A lot of people seems to forget what MS did and still do. I can't remember MS winning any award for technical innovation, happy to be corrected if you can find one. Apple invented the iPhone and iPod Touch, so naturally want to promote their products over others. Google launched their Android plus store, Nokia did the same. They all copied ideas/products. Thats fine. So don't say its draconian, when you have a choice if you don't want to buy Apple products. MS have been copying for over 20 years, that will never stop. Well, sometimes copy-cats can't catch up, no matter what they try.
  • Reply 49 of 161
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ted13 View Post

The Apple HiFis have a startlingly good sound. Frankly I wish I had bought one while they were still in production. They have digital audio in, so they aren't ever going to go obsolete -- they are ideal for deployment in different parts of your house, connected to an Airport Express via optical digital.

As for the Zune HD, judging by the Amazon sales charts, no it is not a hit. Very simple reason -- Apple's iPod Touch has double the capacity at 64GB, plus the App store. Microsoft is as usual competing with last year's model.

So now your comparing a gaming device to a music device- very uncool.

The Apple HiFi is notorious for having the sound of a SOny no a JVC BOOMBOX- get real. And extremely overpriced and yes-now obsolete. What model last year had OLED? What model last year had FMHD?

Why would you ever use Amazon to track electronics in the first place? AS if most people buy electronincs from Amazon?

Did you have a liquid lunch?
  • Reply 50 of 161
    Quote:

In what way has Microsoft tried to kill competition illegally?

Not always illegal but many times they settles with big payouts.

Microsoft - A History of Anticompetitive Behavior and Consumer Harm:

http://www.ecis.eu/documents/Finalve...hoicepaper.pdf
  • Reply 51 of 161
    Quote:

So now your comparing a gaming device to a music device- very uncool.

The Apple HiFi is notorious for having the sound of a SOny BOOMBOX- get real. And extremely overpriced and yes-now obsolete.

Why would you ever use Amazon to track electronics in the first place? AS if most people buy electronincs from Amazon?

Did you have a liquid lunch?

Just like in the thread where you brought up Al Gore out of nowhere, you bring up the Apple HiFi out of nowhere. And similarly, you blame and insult someone else for making the comparison. You know, I really try not to make personal attacks, but dude, is it any wonder why so many people on this forum find you annoying?
  • Reply 52 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

Not always illegal but many times they settles with big payouts.

Microsoft - A History of Anticompetitive Behavior and Consumer Harm:

http://www.ecis.eu/documents/Finalve...hoicepaper.pdf

Apple does the same thing. Settlements like those are all part of doing business. You read about it on this site all the time, about some new lawsuit against Apple for violating a patent and Apple settling out of court. In fact, I think there was one posted just today about that!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

What are you going on about?

If you don't like Safari, uninstall it and install something else.

If you don't like iTunes, uninstall it and install something else.

Believe me, I do. But I was referring to the Mac, specifically. Safari and iTunes/QuickTime are hooked into the operating system with no apparent way of removing them. Much like IE on Windows, I have to learn to simply remove all shortcuts to Safari.

Quote:

So don't say its draconian, when you have a choice if you don't want to buy Apple products. MS have been copying for over 20 years, that will never stop. Well, sometimes copy-cats can't catch up, no matter what they try.

You've mistaken my intents. You're correct in stating that I don't know all of Microsoft's past, but you can't have me believe that Apple doesn't have a few skeletons in its closet that they wouldn't want to be reminded of, either.

So what if Microsoft has a shady past? What company doesn't? I look at where these companies stand today and what products they have to offer. Windows 7? Awesome operating system. The iPhone? Fantastic device. Just because I hate iTunes and the restrictions of the app store doesn't mean I don't love the product they all tie into. I love my iPhone, which is why I'm especially critical of it. I want it to be a more open, transparent device, and competition from those other services are going to drive it in that direction. If, at some point, I feel there's a better alternative, like an open android market, I'll certainly move on then. I'll go with the best!
  • Reply 53 of 161
    Quote:

Not to mention that the software, if any, would be an optional download

(...)

Sad, really, that people have such loyalties to business. Praise the product, not the company.

Exactly. I don't like MS any more than the next person here. I feel they have poor business practices. However, when they do make good products (and yes, it DOES happen), then I praise those products. I also don't like Apple for their business practices (being very anti-competitive and closed) but when they have a good product, I'll praise it too. I like the hardware in the iPod Touch and think the device is wonderful. I however hate the OS and its limitations it puts on the hardware.

But yeah, if MS were to release the App, I'm sure people would do exactly as you said, install and delete without trying JUST to give MS a One Star... which has the effect of nothing against the company they hate so much.

BTW, after reading your other posts on the matter, I'm very glad someone have views like me around here.
  • Reply 54 of 161
    Quote:

Microsoft was never sued for their internet browser. Ever. In fact, Microsoft has taken great care to make Windows 7 more modal, allowing users to completely uninstall any part of the operating system, including IE.

Hell, Microsoft caved to the European Union when they never really had to. So now, PC vendors can decide which browser to bundle with their computers (and which to take out), as well as presenting a ballot box for users to be able to download and install the latest version of any 3rd party browser.

Perhaps you should research a little company called Spyglass that Microsoft "partnered" with.

And perhaps you should realize the reason why Microsoft stands to benefit from browser bundling, namely, defaulting the search to Bing and their default page being MSN.com, both with benefit them just like Google benefits from it being the default search engine and home page in Mozilla's FireFox.
  • Reply 55 of 161
    Quote:

Just like in the thread where you brought up Al Gore out of nowhere, you bring up the Apple HiFi out of nowhere. And similarly, you blame and insult someone else for making the comparison. You know, I really try not to make personal attacks, but dude, is it any wonder why so many people on this forum find you annoying?

Dude - my response was to the poster prior to that comment who stated that last years Zunes were being used a door stops. READ dude and post something, anything, that's thread related rather than try to take me on.

Al Gore sits on the Board of Directors at Apple Inc. - haven't you READ that anywhere?
  • Reply 56 of 161
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:

OK, Microshaft, how much do you want me to pay you, NOT to release any Zune services, software etc

We don't any bug ridden, user unfriendly software. I know its difficult to change a habit of lifetime, but people are fed up with your sub standard software. Thank You.

Come listed to a blinkered fanboy in full BS mode!

Try using the Zune software. It's very, very nice, and far better than the buggy bloatware that is iTunes.
  • Reply 57 of 161
    Quote:

Right.... except Gates isn't in charge of Microsoft anymore, and Steve Jobs has been out of commission for the better half of a year at Apple.

So now you are an economic analyst who's able to look at data figures of total (presumably worldwide) sales of a device that is only available in *one* country, and through extensive calculations are able to conclude that a product highly rated, highly reviewed, and sells out in almost every retail market chain out there is, indeed, a "flop."

You know, if I'm not mistaken, I believe the first few iPods were considered a "flop" as well. Nothing really moved until the iPod nano, about six or seven generations and models in.

Facts are facts, and poor sales rankings are a sure indicator that a product is a flop. Short-supplying a product is deceptive, and something MS must have learned from those iBiquity scammers.
  • Reply 58 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

One word: History.

Windows 3 was pretty good, but those were simpler times.

Windows 9X and XP Home should not have been unleashed on the world without security measures. I believe they thought it too complex an issue for an average user, and chose to ignore the issue. Very arrogant.

The Windows 95 interface was nice, but they pretty much copied what Silicon Graphics was already doing.

I'll believe they can write good software when I see it. Windows 7 is being hyped now. Maybe they have been pushed by Apple. Nothing wrong with competition, Microsoft just isn't used to it!

I used Windows 3.0 and 3.1, and while it was good, it sucked compared to a Mac.

Win9x should have never been released, but you know, they had to come up with something while NT waited for more powerful hardware to come up (and it wasn't till 3 versions later, win2k, with 3.1 being the first, 4 being the second, that it was worth using).
  • Reply 59 of 161
    Quote:

Dude - my response was to the poster prior to that comment who stated that last years Zunes were being used a door stops.

And this has nothing to do with the Apple HiFi.....which no one ever mentioned until YOU brought it up.

Quote:

Al Gore sits on the Board of Directors at Apple Inc. - haven't you READ that anywhere?

Yes, and this has nothing to do with the other thread either and no one ever mentioned his name until YOU did.
  • Reply 60 of 161
    Quote:

And this has nothing to do with the Apple HiFi.....which no one ever mentioned until YOU brought it up.

If you can't see the connection between one obsolete product vs the other than it's not worth explaining to you. Good bye.

P.S.- I refuse to discuss the other thread's posts you're trying to egg me on for the sake of AI readers. Thank you.