Microsoft considers extending Zune services to Apple users

Comments

• Reply 61 of 161
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

Believe me, I do. But I was referring to the Mac, specifically. Safari and iTunes/QuickTime are hooked into the operating system with no apparent way of removing them.

No, Safari and iTunes are not hooked into the operating system. It's called dragging them to the trash. QuickTime, which you didn't mention before, is another matter. iTunes and QT are not the same thing.

Quote:

Much like IE on Windows, I have to learn to simply remove all shortcuts to Safari.

On a Mac, not much to learn, just drag Safari off the Dock and *poof*, it's gone.
  • Reply 62 of 161
    It'll be a cold day in hell....
  • Reply 63 of 161
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    What hasn't Microsoft thought of? Gosh, I'm impressed.
  • Reply 64 of 161
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Well I suppose more choice is good, even if relatively few people will avail themselves of some of them.
  • Reply 65 of 161
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Perhaps you should research a little company called Spyglass that Microsoft "partnered" with.

And perhaps you should realize the reason why Microsoft stands to benefit from browser bundling, namely, defaulting the search to Bing and their default page being MSN.com, both with benefit them just like Google benefits from it being the default search engine and home page in Mozilla's FireFox.

Actually, Mozilla benefits more from Google by making them the default browser. Every time you make a search in that box, Mozilla gets paid. That's one possible reason why Google came out with their own browser, Chrome, to take back some of those searches while pushing for more advanced web standards (again, that benefit Google's future products).

Mozilla would use Bing.com as their default search if they thought their marketshare as a browser would grow, and they would get more money from Bing than from Google.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PocketRadio View Post

Facts are facts, and poor sales rankings are a sure indicator that a product is a flop. Short-supplying a product is deceptive, and something MS must have learned from those iBiquity scammers.

So, that's it? The product's been out for a month, available in only one country in the entire world, and someone with *NO* sales figures, *NO* marketing strategy, and *NO* indicators for the upcoming Christmas season has determined "Oh, its over. Its a flop. Guess we should give up now."

I'm going to assume you're ignorant about the business world, because calling you stupid would be insulting. Depending on what figures you're looking at, the Mac has 2-3% worldwide marketshare. Would you consider the Mac a flop as well? After all, it has only 2-3% of the total PC market. Its' *GOT* to be a flop, right?

...right?
  • Reply 66 of 161
    geez. it is funny how those that do not know history love to show their ignorance. try watching a program called "triumph of the nerds", you just might learn something as to who is an innovator and a copycat crapware vendor.
  • Reply 67 of 161
    Quote:

So, that's it? The product's been out for a month, available in only one country in the entire world, and someone with *NO* sales figures, *NO* marketing strategy, and *NO* indicators for the upcoming Christmas season has determined "Oh, its over. Its a flop. Guess we should give up now."

I'm going to assume you're ignorant about the business world, because calling you stupid would be insulting. Depending on what figures you're looking at, the Mac has 2-3% worldwide marketshare. Would you consider the Mac a flop as well? After all, it has only 2-3% of the total PC market. Its' *GOT* to be a flop, right?

...right?

Remember those lines around the block, when the iPhone first came out - that's called market BUZZ, and I'm not talking about HD Radio's IBUZZ!
  • Reply 68 of 161
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

In what way has Microsoft tried to kill competition illegally? That's a pretty bold statement.

Bold, or not, they have both tried and succeeded in killing anything resembling competition for years.

But if you were never an exhibitor at the MacWorld Boston or San Francisco, you may not have experienced it first hand.
  • Reply 69 of 161
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

On a Mac, not much to learn, just drag Safari off the Dock and *poof*, it's gone.

That's removing Safari from the OS?
  • Reply 70 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Come listed to a blinkered fanboy in full BS mode!

Try using the Zune software. It's very, very nice, and far better than the buggy bloatware that is iTunes.

When you look up the word Bulls**t, it says "see Microsoft". PC users are full of BS. Can't handle the truth. Carry on using your bloated Windows (a copy of OS X), 8 billion viruses (uniquely Windows only), malware (windows only), crashes, file incompatibility, software incompatibility, even certain MS products aren't backward or forward compatible. The huge extra cost in staff wages to run networks, solve IT problems etc. iTunes is still nearly 90% of what it was when it was originally released. So not sure where you get bloatware from. It just works, unlike 90% of MS software. If Windows and Ms Office aren't bloatware, I don't know what is.

An ex PC User.
  • Reply 71 of 161
    Quote:

Remember those lines around the block, when the iPhone first came out - that's called market BUZZ, and I'm not talking about HD Radio's IBUZZ!

I recall a similar incident in Jonestown, South America - something about people waiting in line for a drink of -what was it now?

Oh whatever.
  • Reply 72 of 161
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's removing Safari from the OS?

No it's not.

It looks like someone needs to take their own advice and READ what statement I was actually responding to.
  • Reply 73 of 161
    Quote:

Hey, I'm not saying that the Zune HD is a hit or a success. I wouldn't even call the Xbox 360 a success, given the millions of dollars lost in RMA money due to red rings of death. Other than the desktop, Microsoft doesn't exactly equate to astounding success in the other fields it tries go enter.

However, the fact that they ARE doing all these other things is important in and of itself. Live cloud services and gaming and Zune media - they're doing anything they can do to stay relevant. The reason IBM became the almost-unknown services company that they are today is because they were once Top Dog and never felt they needed to change. Microsoft knows that a day will come when the operating system will become less relevant than it is today. Perhaps not for many decades, but it will happen. And when it does, they'll be more flexible to change than other companies who aren't getting involved now.

That's why I love the idea of Zune on my iPhone. Apple makes the hardware, Microsoft provides the service. Both companies are doing *exactly* what they're best at, and I as a consumer get all the benefits.
  • Reply 74 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

Exactly. I don't like MS any more than the next person here. I feel they have poor business practices. However, when they do make good products (and yes, it DOES happen), then I praise those products. I also don't like Apple for their business practices (being very anti-competitive and closed) but when they have a good product, I'll praise it too. I like the hardware in the iPod Touch and think the device is wonderful. I however hate the OS and its limitations it puts on the hardware.

But yeah, if MS were to release the App, I'm sure people would do exactly as you said, install and delete without trying JUST to give MS a One Star... which has the effect of nothing against the company they hate so much.

BTW, after reading your other posts on the matter, I'm very glad someone have views like me around here.

Lol, it just seems so obvious to me. Why would anyone be loyal to any corporate entity.
  • Reply 75 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fonejacker View Post

When you look up the word Bulls**t, it says "see Microsoft". PC users are full of BS. Can't handle the truth. Carry on using your bloated Windows (a copy of OS X), 8 billion viruses (uniquely Windows only), malware (windows only), crashes, file incompatibility, software incompatibility, even certain MS products aren't backward or forward compatible. The huge extra cost in staff wages to run networks, solve IT problems etc. iTunes is still nearly 90% of what it was when it was originally released. So not sure where you get bloatware from. It just works, unlike 90% of MS software. If Windows and Ms Office aren't bloatware, I don't know what is.

An ex PC User.

Dude, I use Macs. I love them, frankly. And guess what? You *still* have malware, crashes, file incompaitibility, software incompatibility, even certain *APPLE* products are backward or forward compatible (see iMovie). Lol, Macs are simply computers, first and foremost. The operating system you're on won't mean much if you accidentally fall for a phishing scam in your email.

Windows 7 is far ahead of its Vista cousin by leaps and bounds, and that claim is backed by nearly every person who's used it. I often hear long-time Apple users praise how well Windows 7 functions, and how refreshing it is to see Microsoft take a different approach with its OS, opting for performance and stability over new features. True, there are things the Mac does better than Windows, but at this point, its almost a matter of personal taste. Do you prefer this OS, or this one?

Apple has done plenty of things some could consider "copying" from Microsoft - it isn't just a one-way street. Don't believe me? Ask anyone who had used the Zune 3.0 software for a while and have them take a look at iTunes 9.0. They'll tell you how very "Zune-like" the new iTunes has become
  • Reply 76 of 161
    Quote:

Lol, it just seems so obvious to me. Why would anyone be loyal to any corporate entity.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy
  • Reply 77 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

One word: History.

Windows 3 was pretty good, but those were simpler times.

Windows 9X and XP Home should not have been unleashed on the world without security measures. I believe they thought it too complex an issue for an average user, and chose to ignore the issue. Very arrogant.

The Windows 95 interface was nice, but they pretty much copied what Silicon Graphics was already doing.

I'll believe they can write good software when I see it. Windows 7 is being hyped now. Maybe they have been pushed by Apple. Nothing wrong with competition, Microsoft just isn't used to it!

Windows 3 wasn't a patch on Mac OS 7 I'm afraid (I used both extensively). Windows 95 was a catchup (and in some ways leap-frog) of Mac OS 8/9. Mac OS X raised the bar even further beyond what Microsoft can achieve.

Fire up an old Mac OS 9 system,, and see how much further the desktop paradigm has been pushed by Microsoft. Not much really. A Windows user would be far more comfortable with Mac OS 9 than they would be with Windows 3.

In a certain way (squint your eyes), you could even say that the iPhone/iPod Touch interface is simply a logical extension of Mac OS Classic (especially when you figure in the At Ease icon menu system).
  • Reply 78 of 161
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Okay, how about another history lesson. Remember IBM? They were the top dogs in the industry long before Microsoft had its reign. People laugh and point at Windows 95 as Microsoft's attempt to "catch up" to the rest of the world. Apple was laughing hysterically at Microsoft at the time, making fun of little facts like "Oh, now they can support long-format names, like we have been doing for 10 years."

No one had taken Microsoft seriously until Windows 95, and do you know why? Obviously someone liked it, because it fulfilled what the technology industry needed at the time in the consumer market, far superior to anything Apple or anything else had at the time.

Edit: I don't like defending any company based on its past or present history. Vista was atrocious, and Windows 7 is amazing. Just like Tiger was a mess and Leopard is terrific. If a company makes a good product, who cares about its past? Hell, Apple's OS 9 was utter crap. Are you telling me I should judge the company today based on something they made 10 years ago??

How about another history lesson? Microsoft lied, cheated and stole their way to a monopoly position, with not a superior product but a very mediocre one. People didn't buy it because they liked it so much but because they didn't have a choice. Nothing to be particularly proud of... Btw IBM was one of the companies screwed by Microsoft.
  • Reply 79 of 161
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Hey, I'm not saying that the Zune HD is a hit or a success. I wouldn't even call the Xbox 360 a success, given the millions of dollars lost in RMA money due to red rings of death. Other than the desktop, Microsoft doesn't exactly equate to astounding success in the other fields it tries go enter.

Try Billions!

Quote:

However, the fact that they ARE doing all these other things is important in and of itself. Live cloud services and gaming and Zune media - they're doing anything they can do to stay relevant. The reason IBM became the almost-unknown services company that they are today is because they were once Top Dog and never felt they needed to change. Microsoft knows that a day will come when the operating system will become less relevant than it is today. Perhaps not for many decades, but it will happen. And when it does, they'll be more flexible to change than other companies who aren't getting involved now.

Unknown? Maybe to you... IBM is a huge healthy company that knew how to continue to grow by adapting.

Quote:

That's why I love the idea of Zune on my iPhone. Apple makes the hardware, Microsoft provides the service. Both companies are doing *exactly* what they're best at, and I as a consumer get all the benefits.

Clearly Microsoft is "best" with software given everything else they've touched has failed miserably. Apple is not a hardware company, it's a company that knows how to integrate software and hardware to make a compelling device. And the consumer gets all the benefits.
  • Reply 80 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fonejacker View Post

OK, Microshaft, how much do you want me to pay you, NOT to release any Zune services, software etc

We don't any bug ridden, user unfriendly software. I know its difficult to change a habit of lifetime, but people are fed up with your sub standard software. Thank You.

Better avoid getting an iPhone or the latest version of OS X. They've already been infected with Exchange!