AT&T says network needs more work to support iPhone tethering

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T made a surprising announcement this week when it declared voice over IP applications could run on its 3G data network. However, the wireless carrier still is not prepared to offer iPhone data tethering.

In an unexpected reversal, AT&T revealed this week that VoIP services, like Skype, would be allowed on its wireless data network. Previously, such applications were only allowed on the iPhone via Wi-Fi.

AT&T had an agreement in place with Apple to prevent such applications from being allowed on its network for bandwidth concerns -- the same reason multimedia messaging and tethering for the iPhone were delayed.

After the launch of MMS for the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS in September, AT&T officials said that tethering would come at a later, unspecified date. Originally, both services were due to launch over the summer.

"By its nature, this function could exponentially increase traffic on the network, and we need to ensure that some of our current upgrades are in place before we can deliver the expanded functionality with the excellent performance that customers expect," AT&T said when MMS debuted.

The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that AT&T still has not provided any further details on tethering, despite its acceptance of VoIP on its 3G network, as well as the launch of MMS.

"A spokesman for the wireless carrier, however, said that tethering remains unavailable," the report said, "and stuck with the company's prior statement: 'Whenever we offer new features, we want to offer the best possible customer experience. For tethering, we need to do some additional fine tuning to our systems and networks so that we do deliver a great experience.'"

The report noted that Ralph de la Vega, the head of AT&T's wireless unit, previously said that the service is expected to launch sometime in 2009. However, officials have not since repeated that information.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Reader's Digest version:

AT&T says, "Our network kinda sucks."

World says, "No shit."
  • Reply 2 of 60
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    And here you go- this backs up all my posts on the prior thread.

Incompetent bast*rds!
  • Reply 3 of 60
    Verizon is thanking their lucky stars that they didn't get the original exclusivity agreement for the iPhone or they would be the one hearing "your network is crap" ad naseum.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Verizon is thanking their lucky stars that they didn't get the original exclusivity agreement for the iPhone or they would be the one hearing "your network is crap" ad naseum.

Their new TV ad is highly effective going after the whole iPhone experience here in the states.
  • Reply 5 of 60
    Quote:

AT&T had a crap reputation long before the iPhone. Verizon has always been at the top in it's connectivity reputation. Let's keep it real now- I'm tired of all these speculative posts- or excuses if you will.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Their new TV ad is highly effective going after the whole iPhone experience here in the states.

By what measure?

I've seen the coverage of the ad but I have yet to see one "live" and I watch a fair amount of TV (unfortunately). I'm in the midwest.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    Quote:

By what measure?

I've seen the coverage of the ad but I have yet to see one "live" and I watch a fair amount of TV (unfortunately). I'm in the midwest.

By being a direct mockery of Apple's app ads. I've only seen it once but its very memorable in who its attacking especially after Apple has force "there's an App for that " ads down are throat relentlessly for 1 year.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

AT&T had a crap reputation long before the iPhone. Verizon has always been at the top for connectivity reputation. Let's keep it real now- I'm tired of all these speculative posts- or excuses if you will.

Yeah in the east at least VZ beats AT&T in my experience, so I'd bet at least on the east they would have held up a little bit better with iPhone than AT&T. Although I'm sure it would have been rough. Now the whole AT&T dropped calls thing, that's crazy. Like I've said, I've had that happen once or twice in 9 years on VZ. And that was in a building near mountains.

One thing I'm waiting for to get an iPhone is tethering. Waiting on you, AT&T. That'd probably push me over the edge. That will help me justify in my mind the steep monthly price tag. It will certainly be useful. I take my laptop around a lot.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    Quote:

AT&T had a crap reputation long before the iPhone. Verizon has always been at the top in it's connectivity reputation. Let's keep it real now- I'm tired of all these speculative posts- or excuses if you will.

What excuse? And "keeping it real," by what measure do you contend that Verizon's network was any more ready for the iPhone than AT&T? Dropped calls and coverage is irrelevant, we're talking the ability to handle the unprecendented increased volume of data that the iPhone created.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

Yeah in the east at least VZ beats AT&T in my experience, so I'd bet at least on the east they would have held up a little bit better with iPhone than AT&T. Although I'm sure it would have been rough. Now the whole AT&T dropped calls thing, that's crazy. Like I've said, I've had that happen once or twice in 9 years on VZ. And that was in a building near mountains.

One thing I'm waiting for to get an iPhone is tethering. Waiting on you, AT&T. That'd probably push me over the edge. That will help me justify in my mind the steep monthly price tag. It will certainly be useful. I take my laptop around a lot.

I switched from Verizon in July and for the most part- not too bad. However, there are times in certain parts of Manhattan - especially the West Side where I only get the dreaded "E" symbol- and then you can forget data retrieval.
  • Reply 11 of 60
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:

What excuse? And "keeping it real," by what measure do you contend that Verizon's network was any more ready for the iPhone than AT&T? Dropped calls and coverage is irrelevant, we're talking the ability to handle the unprecendented increased volume of data that the iPhone created.

Because AT&T was crap to begin with- comprendez?

You really expected crap to improve with more volume?
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:

By being a direct mockery of Apple's app ads. I've only seen it once but its very memorable in who its attacking especially after Apple has force "there's an App for that " ads down are throat relentlessly for 1 year.

The way you describe it I'd agree it is memorable, but how effective it is would depend on changes in subscriber numbers, and it's certainly too early for that data. Isn't that the reason Verizon is running them, to increase subscriber numbers, especially via defections from AT&T?

Or were you just speculating? Which is fair to do, despite your apparent distaste for that.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    Quote:

Because AT&T was crap to begin with- comprendez?

You really expected crap to improve with more volume?

I expected a more coherent reply to what I wrote. My mistake, won't make it again.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I agree. Tethering is the big deal for me as well.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    What dumba$$ exec decided VoIP was more important than tethering?!! Let me see- I have a phone that works perfectly well to say, I don;t know, TALK ON, WTH do I need VoIP? My laptop still doesn't work without it (well it does because I jailbroke it AND use the profile and haven't went to 3.1 yet, but you get the picture).

Hugely dumb move. Can't wait until Verizon finally gets it. Or maybe I'll start playing with Android.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

... I watch a fair amount of TV (unfortunately). I'm in the midwest.

I love it!
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"By its nature, this function could exponentially increase traffic on the network, and we need to ensure that some of our current upgrades are in place before we can deliver the expanded functionality with the excellent performance that customers expect."

ummm....i'm not sure what planet this guy is from....SH&T should know that their customers don't expect excellent performance from them. they have lowered our expectations so much in the last few years that we actually expect them to fail at everything they do. good job SH&T!
  • Reply 19 of 60
    Quote:

I expected a more coherent reply to what I wrote. My mistake, won't make it again.

Well I expected a more logical question especially after I spoon fed the reasons why AT&T sucked long before the iPhone ever existed.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    Do Androids, Pres, and Crackberries get thethering?