Mossberg: Windows 7 narrows the gap with Apple's Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdyates View Post

Microsoft's payroll? This guy is probably the most pro-mac reporter out there. I think it was even mentioned in the article that he is a strong mac advocate. Do you really think that Microsoft is bribing reporters at The Wall Street Journal for good reviews?

You just can't help yourself can you?

yes i do think they're paying for good reviews, don't you know what kind of corporation they are?

have you used windows 7? it's pathetic, slow, bloated, still has a registry, no spaces-like feature (which they'll steal from apple in their next version)...
  • Reply 22 of 465
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    I'm really not looking forward to Win 7. I did have a very brief (like an hour or so) play around with the public beta, and (I am pleased to admit) I have only ever spent a couple of hours with Vista, on other peoples PCs (one installing an ADSL Modem, and another knocking up a Word template). I'm still straight up XP! My workplace is still happily on XP, and I got a Mac just as Tiger was replaced for home use.

Let's pretend I never saw either, because this is largely the case - when all my XP friends and family upgrade (as I fear they will) and start with the help requests - I'm going to be stuffed! I imagine the difference from XP > 7 is huge. Let's hope the learning curve is as good as people say It sounds much better, but I think I'm going to be too rusty to be able to help people out much - possibly a good thing?
  • Reply 23 of 465
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dahlenu View Post

So, has Microsoft got rid of the registry in Windows 7? If not, Windows is still a piece of shit, IMHO.

No, and you're absolutely right, the registry is the root of all evil and most of Windows' problems. They need a clean-sheet rewrite that gets rid of the disaster once and for all.
  • Reply 24 of 465
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal has given Microsoft's Windows 7 a glowing review, noting that Microsoft's latest operating system is still behind Apple's Mac OS X, but not by much.

A known Apple advocate, Mossberg's positive take on Windows 7 is a big change from Windows XP and Vista, both of which the columnist felt were vastly inferior to Mac OS X.

Walt Mossberg is just the latest reviewer to praise Windows 7. But the biggest threat to Apple comes from its unwillingness to offer desktop computers with a Nehalem quad-core desktop CPU, a Blu-Ray drive and monitor for less than $1,000.

Unless Apple offers competitive computers with competitive features at a competitive price, Macs don't stand much of a chance against full featured Windows 7 computer desktops from HP or Dell. That's not to mention the upcoming flood of affordable, new netbooks which compare favourably with traditional notebooks.

The greed of Steve Jobs will be the demise of Apple.

\\\
  • Reply 25 of 465
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

nice to read reviews from people which are probably in microsoft's payroll

Put down the crackpipe. He's as likely to be on MS's payroll as you are to be a rocket scientist.

Quote:

also how is this apple news?

Because it's comparing W7 to SL. Did you miss that little detail?
  • Reply 26 of 465
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffhrsn View Post

But "still behind" is still behind.

But still way ahead when it comes to numbers. The question isn't is it good enough to please hardcore mac users, its whether its good enough to keep users on board and maybe even convince a few to come back. In my opinion, its pretty close. Its fast, stable, and usable. The dashboard and expose clones could use a little work and the registry needs to go, but that's about it.
  • Reply 27 of 465
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ouragan View Post

Walt Mossberg is just the latest reviewer to praise Windows 7. But the biggest threat to Apple comes from its unwillingness to offer desktop computers with a Nehalem quad-core desktop CPU, a Blu-Ray drive and monitor for less than $1,000.

Unless Apple offers competitive computers with competitive features at a competitive price, Macs don't stand much of a chance against full featured Windows 7 computer desktops from HP or Dell. That's not to mention the upcoming flood of affordable, new netbooks which compare favourably with traditional notebooks.

\\\

I agree - Apple lost their boarding pass to the netbook cruiseship- that boat left sail a long time ago. Netbooks are this current generation's iMac.
  • Reply 28 of 465
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    I guess Steve won't be inviting Walt to this year's Apple Christmas party.
  • Reply 29 of 465
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I have been using Windows 7 at work for 3 weeks now. It is impressive and I could see myself using it at home, but it comes down to preference.

Windows 7 is yet another major GUI change for Windows and there's some things to like and some not. Too much eye-candy/visual effects can be distracting (you can tone that down in Windows 7 though).

There are many things that make the Mac OSX a great experience and even Windows 7 doesn't get there. The included apps in Mac OSX are all the difference.
  • Reply 30 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

have you used windows 7? it's pathetic, slow, bloated, still has a registry, no spaces-like feature (which they'll steal from apple in their next version)...

have u actually used it? i found it quite fast (compared to vista and even XP).

and about the SPACES.... well, if MS is evil for stealing it from Apple, then Apple is even worse for stealing it from linux. it's been there for ages!

but... one other point. Yes WIN7 is quite good. But since soooo many users are still on XP out there, those reports should mention the differences between XP and win 7 and not so much in comparison with vista. most people think that vista sucks. so if win 7 is "known" to be a step forward from vista, that doesn't make it shine much in most people's eyes.

(just my 2 cents)
  • Reply 31 of 465
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    COMPETITION IS GOOD. But Apple Mac market share must boost to 25% to be a real competitor with Windows. Hopefully, the Apple Tablet will have the full Mac OS X inside (touch version). Then the Mac could beat Windows once and for all.
  • Reply 32 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

THANK YOU. i'm an apple fanboy too, but i'm not an idiot. Windows 7 is good. my shares of AAPL are nervous that several switchers will switch back. MSFT will make a killing on win7 because every corporation in the world that's still on XP will upgrade, and that's a shit-ton of corporations.

You nailed it: "Windows 7 is good".

Being good is not enough to compare Windows to Mac OS X. Granted Windows comes from a long way, from horribly outdated (XP) to complete crap (Vista) to, finally, good (7). Trouble is, Tiger is great, Leopard is simply awesome, and Snow Leopard is such a refinement from top to bottom of an already awesome product it's hard to find words. Snowy is built on such strong foundations that it'll blow everything out of the waters once software leverage its internal mechanics. Everything is fast, smooth, natural, and there are so many tools and sane entry points to control the computer and make it do precisely what you want (text input, keyboard shortcuts, applescript, automator, services, unix, this is endless...) without resorting to dirty hacks.

Anyway that's good news, as it will finally stop being downright painful to simply use a Windows machine.
  • Reply 33 of 465
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

I have been using Windows 7 at work for 3 weeks now. It is impressive and I could see myself using it at home, but it comes down to preference.

Windows 7 is yet another major GUI change for Windows and there's some things to like and some not. Too much eye-candy/visual effects can be distracting (you can tone that down in Windows 7 though).

There are many things that make the Mac OSX a great experience and even Windows 7 doesn't get there. The included apps in Mac OSX are all the difference.

Well said. Its great for those of use who have to ALSO use windows. It's still not a mac, but its pretty damn good.
  • Reply 34 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluenix View Post

have u actually used it? i found it quite fast (compared to vista and even XP).

and about the SPACES.... well, if MS is evil for stealing it from Apple, then Apple is even worse for stealing it from linux. it's been there for ages!

Who stole the task bar from Microsoft and named it a DOCK?
  • Reply 35 of 465
    Simply because Windows has a whole bunch of internal problems that get cancelled out by the problems of Flash

In Mac's case, the OS doesnt have any problems. Hence, only Flash poses the problem!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

But why does flash work so well on Windows? From flash perpective OSX is bloated that's why the CPU is grinded to a halt. No such problem when running Windows from what I hear.

• Reply 36 of 465
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Only took MS nine years and they still aren't there.

And when Apple reveals its next OS, MS will have more catching up to do. Oh well.

With Apple in the same space as you are, being "good enough" is never enough.
  • Reply 37 of 465
    First off: This is not APPLE news.

The only real part of this that can be construed as Apple news, is that an Apple fan wrote a good review of an MS product! Yikes!

Glad to see an Apple fan write like this, saying "You know what, Windows 7 is pretty good!" I myself was impressed by Windows 7. It ran a heck of a lot faster on my Atom based HTPC than Vista (by leaps and bounds!) and significantly more stable. Oh how I loathe Vista, but I can't wait for Windows 7 to be released.
  • Reply 38 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Only took MS nine years and they still aren't there.

And when Apple reveals its next OS, MS will have more catching up to do. Oh well.

With Apple in the same space as you are, being "good enough" is never enough.

WAlt Mossberg, Apple's #1 crack pusher, would disagree with you- you obviously stopped reading the whole article.
  • Reply 39 of 465
    My school has Windows 7 Professional available right now for students under their student software program. I downloaded and installed the x64 version with VMWare Fusion 2 on my MacBook Pro. Honestly, I haven't had much time to play with the thing, but I don't find it very different than Vista. The start bar is redesigned, and they managed not to rename and re-hide administrative tools like network and display configuration (which is what pissed me off the most about the move from XP to Vista). But I just don't see how anyone can conclude that Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista, not to mention one that puts it almost shoulder to shoulder with OS X.

I put some screenshots up on my Flickr page. Those annoying warnings are still there. I got freaking stopped and asked if I was sure I wanted to trust Adobe when installing flash. I downloaded Packet Tracer from Cisco's website, and when I tried to install the program Windows 7, for some reason, won't recognized the .exe file as valid. If I can't run Packet Tracer, Windows 7 is freaking worthless. The only reason why I'm keeping it on my MacBook Pro is so that if someone I know calls me with an issue, I can research it on my end without having to drive to their house.

Mossberg says Snow Leopard wasn't a "must-have" upgrade, even at $30. Well Windows 7 isn't a "must-have" upgrade at over $100 for people who already have Vista. I could see paying full price and upgrading from XP, but not from Vista. It would be a waste of money. If my school didn't offer Windows 7 to students for free, and Windows wasn't running the $30 offer for students on win741.com, I wouldn't even think of buying that operating system.

How the hell is an .exe file "not a valid win32 application?"

Fewer security warnings? I'm not a child. I shouldn't have to hunt for settings to turn this kind of crap off.

• Reply 40 of 465
    Homegamer,

Homeschooler,

Home business,

Homemaker,

Homebreaker, or

Homeless?