Mossberg: Windows 7 narrows the gap with Apple's Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 41 of 465
    It's still Windows.

Still the same philosophies regarding usability and user experience.

Still the same endless dialogues and incoherent interface.

But this around, it's GPU-accelerated. Oh the joy!

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/top...ndows-vista-7/

See? Isn't it MUCH better with semi-transperent windows instead of the old boring gray?

*yawn*
  • Reply 42 of 465
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Will this finaly destroy the Apple /Justin Long TV ads?

We can only hope.
  • Reply 43 of 465
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    My children run Windows 7 now, they really like it and my support has really gone down. The only thing I don't like is that there is no upgrade path from XP.

When I read this article I am pleased, this will keep Apple going to create an even better OSX. Microsoft deserves a win every now and then, after all they did have a hand at bringing the computer into the home, which benefits the entire industry.
  • Reply 44 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by villageindian View Post

Simply because Windows has a whole bunch of internal problems that get cancelled out by the problems of Flash

In Mac's case, the OS doesnt have any problems. Hence, only Flash poses the problem!

I'm quite certain I don't follow your logic here. Two negatives don't make a positive, especially in computing! Windows + Flash should equal death. I've never had a problem with flash on Windows, definitely not close to death!
  • Reply 45 of 465
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by camroidv27 View Post

I'm quite certain I don't follow your logic here. Two negatives don't make a positive, especially in computing! Windows + Flash should equal death. I've never had a problem with flash on Windows, definitely not close to death!

You took that seriously?
  • Reply 46 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Will this finaly destroy the Apple /Justin Long TV ads?

We can only hope.

I so very much hope Apple takes a new route. Those ads grated on my nerves from day one!
  • Reply 47 of 465
    Quote:

You took that seriously?

I knew it was a joke, don't worry.
  • Reply 48 of 465
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    "After months of testing Vista on multiple computers, new and old, I believe it is the best version of Windows that Microsoft has produced."

That was precisely what Walt Mossberg wrote in the WSJ on Jan 18th 2007.

Let's let the customers decide shall we?

I predict a riot.

Of dissatisfaction.
  • Reply 49 of 465
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robodude View Post

I used Windows 7 on my Macbook and found it to be more cumbersome than OS X. Expose (despite being nerfed in Snow Leopard) is better than aero peek, especially when hot corners are in use. The Windows interface is still way more cluttered than OS X on my 13" screen.

It seems:

Windows is better for bigger screens

OS X is better for smaller screens

... interface wise at least.

The other benefits of each operating system, compatibility vs. fluidity, haven't really changed significantly with these latest iterations. I still prefer OS X and have gotten rid of my partition. Both OSs are more similar than ever, especially since most computing happens on the web these days. I'm just glad Windows is finally competitive and looking forward to 10.7 and Windows 8.

Aero peak and expose can't be compared. He said dock expose, which refers to clicking and holding on a programs icon to show all open windows of that program. Personally that is a feature I have never used. I use aero peak all the time though and it is quite useful and much more intuitive as it just requires you to hover over a program icon and all other programs become transparent. Document Flip or whatever it's called is the Windows version of Expose and it is vastly inferior.
  • Reply 50 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post

My school has Windows 7 Professional available right now for students under their student software program. I downloaded and installed the x64 version with VMWare Fusion 2 on my MacBook Pro. Honestly, I haven't had much time to play with the thing, but I don't find it very different than Vista. The start bar is redesigned, and they managed not to rename and re-hide administrative tools like network and display configuration (which is what pissed me off the most about the move from XP to Vista). But I just don't see how anyone can conclude that Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista, not to mention one that puts it almost shoulder to shoulder with OS X.

I put some screenshots up on my Flickr page. Those annoying warnings are still there. I got freaking stopped and asked if I was sure I wanted to trust Adobe when installing flash. I downloaded Packet Tracer from Cisco's website, and when I tried to install the program Windows 7, for some reason, won't recognized the .exe file as valid. If I can't run Packet Tracer, Windows 7 is freaking worthless. The only reason why I'm keeping it on my MacBook Pro is so that if someone I know calls me with an issue, I can research it on my end without having to drive to their house.

Mossberg says Snow Leopard wasn't a "must-have" upgrade, even at $30. Well Windows 7 isn't a "must-have" upgrade at over $100 for people who already have Vista. I could see paying full price and upgrading from XP, but not from Vista. It would be a waste of money. If my school didn't offer Windows 7 to students for free, and Windows wasn't running the $30 offer for students on win741.com, I wouldn't even think of buying that operating system.

How the hell is an .exe file "not a valid win32 application?"

Fewer security warnings? I'm not a child. I shouldn't have to hunt for settings to turn this kind of crap off.

I suggest you downgrade to Windows XP. Apparently Win7 isn't your cup of tea.

Last time I used Mac OS X and installed something I downloaded, it asked me if I wanted to run it. That's the same thing here according to what you said.

The only reason SL was the "must-have" upgrade was because it was ONLY 30 bucks, so cheap, why not? If it were 150 like normal, it may not have been the "must have" but a "nice to have". Windows 7 isn't required either.
  • Reply 51 of 465
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:

But why does flash work so well on Windows? From flash perpective OSX is bloated that's why the CPU is grinded to a halt. No such problem when running Windows from what I hear.

Because it's the one platform where Adobe spends most of its resources on, and others are just an after thought, tick on the compatibility list.

This is why flash on Windows is optimized and probably even uses GPU to render its content, whereas in OS X it's a mess that needs all the system resources to render even the SD video (whereas quicktime will play 1080p video using 0.1% of CPU that flash does when playing standard def).
  • Reply 52 of 465
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    This is good news for Windows users but I fail to see why I should care. MS lost me as a customer in 1988 and I have never looked back. Apple has only given me more and more reasons to stick with Macs since then and with ebay offering me "pre-owned" and gently used Apple hardware at good prices, the only real sticking point I've ever had with Apple has been removed once and for all.

Bonus points: I am now considered hip by my nephews who have "discovered" Apple and sold their parents on them as well. To them, it seems that I was some sort prescient savant.

MS, enjoy your 99% dominance (or whatever it is now) and stop trying to compete for my dollar 'cause you have zero chance at this point. Save your advertising bucks, too. Use them to design the next iphone.
  • Reply 53 of 465

I have used Apples daily since 1983 with not one problem or needed phone call--Apple IIe--Mac SE--IMac -- am now waiting for the new iMAC. All Mossberg's reviews have trumped the superior qualities of Apple computers.

Now that Microsoft finally, and I say finally,has a good operating system it is terrible to say Mossberg has sold out. One plus is that it will encourage Apple to further improve their computers and operating system.
  • Reply 54 of 465
    stuffestuffe Posts: 394member
    At the risk of being snowed under with vitriol, can I ask a simple question:

What's wrong with the registry? Surely it's just a meta collection of .plist files in a single database, rather than scattered to the 4 winds?

Before you beat the shit out of me, I run nearly every OS known to modern man, and prefer my Mac to most, but will admit under pain of waterboarding to be a Solaris man at heart...
  • Reply 55 of 465
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:

I so very much hope Apple takes a new route. Those ads grated on my nerves from day one!

IMA MAC...AND IMA PC...

"Excuse me Mac, but what is that line up of people for?"

"Well PC that's a crowd here to buy Snow Leopard for $29"

"If I pool them all together Mac, I can get one Home version of W7. Walt Mossberg

said it was almost as good as OS 10.6!"

"Right PC. And having the Flu is almost as good as being well!"

"Mac...do you think this new virus was manufactured?"

"Now your talking! Thats what PCs are for!"
  • Reply 56 of 465
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:

I suggest you downgrade to Windows XP. Apparently Win7 isn't your cup of tea.

Last time I used Mac OS X and installed something I downloaded, it asked me if I wanted to run it. That's the same thing here according to what you said.

The only reason SL was the "must-have" upgrade was because it was ONLY 30 bucks, so cheap, why not? If it were 150 like normal, it may not have been the "must have" but a "nice to have". Windows 7 isn't required either.

You don't understand User Account Control at all. It asks you every single time you open some programs, and you can't tell it to not ask you again. If the prompts get too annoying, you have to turn it completely off.
  • Reply 57 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ls1z28chris View Post

How the hell is an .exe file "not a valid win32 application?"

In this case it's not a valid win32 application because it's a file which has 0 bytes. You can rename any file you like to have a ".exe" extension and that won't make it a valid Win32 application!

The problem in this case is that Firefox is still downloading your file. When Firefox is downloading a file and hasn't finished it creates a place-holder file of 0 bytes with the file name that will eventually be the downloaded file and creates a second file called <filename>.part where to store the partially downloaded file, until it's finished, at which point the .part file is copied to the real file name and the .part file is erased.

Your "problem" here has nothing to do with Windows7 and everything to do with how Firefox works and your failure to understand this.
  • Reply 58 of 465
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    With all Windows versions. They start off good. Just use it for 6 months of using the internet and loading programs. The registry will grind to a halt.
  • Reply 59 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dahlenu View Post

So, has Microsoft got rid of the registry in Windows 7? If not, Windows is still a piece of shit, IMHO.

the registry and dll's are still in win 7. guess that means its still a pos.
  • Reply 60 of 465
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

Aero peak and expose can't be compared. He said dock expose, which refers to clicking and holding on a programs icon to show all open windows of that program.

Thanks for the correction. I can agree with that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stuffe View Post

At the risk of being snowed under with vitriol, can I ask a simple question:

What's wrong with the registry? Surely it's just a meta collection of .plist files in a single database, rather than scattered to the 4 winds?

Before you beat the shit out of me, I run nearly every OS known to modern man, and prefer my Mac to most, but will admit under pain of waterboarding to be a Solaris man at heart...

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will explain, from what I know it seems to be bad use (by developers) of a bad concept. It basically allows them to screw with things that really shouldn't be changed - at least when you delete a program and .plist you're not affecting system files.

I don't get the big deal with UAC. My Mac has asked me to enter in my password and open safe files many a time, which I have no problem with.