Apple releases iPhone OS 3.1.2 with glitch, crash fixes

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released an update to the iPhone OS, bringing it to version 3.1.2. The minor update reportedly fixes a handful of issues with the software.

According to Apple, the update -- which applies to the iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS -- has the following improvements:

Resolves sporadic issue that may cause iPhone to not wake from sleep

Resolves intermittent issue that may interrupt cellular network services until restart

Fixes bug that could cause occasional crash during video streaming

The update, which weighs in at over 200MB, can be downloaded through iTunes. A corresponding update for the iPod touch was also released.

A month ago, Apple released iPhone OS 3.1, which debuted a number of new features, including a Genius recommendation system for software in the App Store. It also added ringtones from record labels, directly into the iTunes application on the phone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 158
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    But will it run Crysis?

I am thinking of jailbreaking my iTouch, so gonna have to pass up on this one untill dev team comes out with its own version. Don't really have any of the described issues anyways, so not much of a deal for me.
  • Reply 2 of 158
    houseleyhouseley Posts: 147member
    None of those issues have affected me but I love to update so...I did.
  • Reply 3 of 158
    Could be just a quick response to the whole Palm Pre "Cat n' Mouse game"...
  • Reply 4 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by houseley View Post

None of those issues have affected me but I love to update so...I did.

I've certainly had the first two, but maybe not the third

- anyway, nice to get the fixes!

• Reply 5 of 158
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zendolphyn View Post

Could be just a quick response to the whole Palm Pre "Cat n' Mouse game"...

If this is another atempt to cripple the Pre than I'm calling for a class action lawsuit!
  • Reply 6 of 158
    Give me multi- tasking Apple and not next June .
  • Reply 7 of 158
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Here's hoping it fixes the "dead iPhone" thing

• Reply 8 of 158
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I hope this addresses a strange problem I've been having where the album art (not coverflow) randomly assigns album art to various videos, tv shows and podcasts.
  • Reply 9 of 158
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    My 3G has been fine but the wife's 3Gs has needed to be rebooted several times after freezing recently. Hope this fixes that.

p.s. I digress but .. thought I'd share ... Since installing 'ClicktoFlash' those NetFlix ads that appear whenever a post is made on this site have stopped ...
  • Reply 10 of 158
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

(and also blocks the pre just for the fun of it).

Wouldn't they have to update iTunes in order to block the Pre again?
  • Reply 11 of 158
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Give me multi- tasking Apple and not next June .

Why don't you just get a Pre and leave the rest of us alone? I am sure it is just perfect for whatever it is you do. Or don't do judging from the absurd number of boorish comments you post endlessly on this site.
  • Reply 12 of 158
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

er ... um ... yes?
  • Reply 13 of 158
    kingkueikingkuei Posts: 137member
    I just installed this update on my 3GS and after the update, iTunes notified me that new carrier settings were available as well. When MMS came out about a week ago, my carrier settings were updated to AT&T v5.5, but today it is now at AT&T v5.6. Anyone know what the difference is?

I understand AT&T has/is rolling out HSPA+ 7.2Mbps in certain areas of the country now. Is the new carrier file supposed to activate HSPA+ when available? Anyone?
  • Reply 14 of 158
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

If this is another atempt to cripple the Pre than I'm calling for a class action lawsuit!

How about a "No Class" action lawsuit, as in Palm, No Class!
  • Reply 15 of 158
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Huh, I hadn't realized that my issues were general -- my phone is getting old and beatup (I already knocked off the silent/vibrate button about 4 months ago -- now the phone is on permavibrate... kindof a plus if you ask me), but I thought it just meant that my phone was dying a slow and agonizing death. I'm glad to see that it was the software, and am excited to see an update!
  • Reply 16 of 158
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

Minor detail.
  • Reply 17 of 158
    yuusharoyuusharo Posts: 311member
    Ah, crap! I was going to jailbreak my iPhone 3GS to 3.1 tonight! More than likely, I wont' be able to until the tools are updated again.

Man, Apple is being agressive.
  • Reply 18 of 158
    My Nike + watch remote hasn't worked right since 3.1.

Hopefully a secret fix for that's included.
  • Reply 19 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

Why don't you just get a Pre and leave the rest of us alone? I am sure it is just perfect for whatever it is you do. Or don't do judging from the absurd number of boorish comments you post endlessly on this site.

I can't- my music's too important to me to take that chance. I'm trapped in Steve Jobs' tentacles and can't get out!
  • Reply 20 of 158
    Funny thing...I usually don't have problems with my iPhone 3g but I have all three of these problems since I loaded 3.1. I am downloading the fix right now and hopefully it takes care of the quirks.