Microsoft considers extending Zune services to Apple users

Comments

• Reply 141 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Windoze users didn't "decide to use them". They screamed blue bloody murder for them until SJ could not ignore them anymore. That's what a well thought out and manufactured product will do for you. MS should try it sometime.

Yeah I don't really think thats what happened. I think its more like SJ got tired of having no market share in anything and wanted to know what it was like to finally be on top with at least one product.

Simple fact still remains without Windows users the ipod would be nothing. If itunes could not install on Windows the Zune would be killing the ipod.
  • Reply 142 of 161
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

The difference of $2000 would be the price to have an unlimited collection of new music available instantly for all those years

iTunes certainly doesn't do that.

Actually, for me at least, it does. The internet radio feature of iTunes, not to mention podcasts, iTunes U, complete with video, lectures, etc. from dozens of different universities and other iTunes features, all FREE allow me to be exposed to new music and a ton of different content anywhere I can access the internet, which is just about any place nowadays. Works for me ... did I mention it's FREE?
  • Reply 143 of 161
    [QUOTE=Fonejacker;1496106][QUOTE=extremeskater;1496056]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fonejacker View Post

Didn't you know you can swap hard drives, optical drives, video cards, as well as RAM without the warranty being effected. There you go, a free education on things Mac. After 33 years in business, you think Apple only has 200 apps!!!!! What a moron you are. Keep on taking those pills, crack etc. I got at least three 3rd party updates without Apple's help or control, recently. Back to answering those PC users problems, added bug features for you boy. You are number 4,167 in the queue, our idiot PC tech guy will be with you, when ever he learns not to talk out of his arse.

You must be kidding me we are now trying to count third party iphone apps? Thats not 3rd party software that runs on your Mac. Seeing you are so high tech maybe you can read up on the difference between apps and software.

You CAN NOT swap out any parts without it voiding your warranty for the exception of ram.

Your one angry little man. Why don't you go take a ride in your pink hybrid with the apple sticker on the window and cool off for a while. Haven't you figured out I was done with this debate a long time ago. You cant have rational debate with someone like you.
  • Reply 144 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yuusharo View Post

In what way has Microsoft tried to kill competition illegally? That's a pretty bold statement.

Apple does more to kill competition than Microsoft ever had. .

Two things:

1. Ms illegally tried to kill browser competition and fought the government on this, if I'm not mistaken.

2. Apple kills competition by developing insanely great products and services where none exists at the time. Do you seriously think the smart phone industry would be where it is today without the iPhone ... same for the app store ... or the same retail experience?

Microsoft could do itself a favor and "steal" Apple's philosophy instead of their products and ideas. That's why we even have fanboys, and I'm proud to be one, because no one likes a thief !
  • Reply 145 of 161
    [QUOTE=extremeskater;1496223][QUOTE=Fonejacker;1496106]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

You must be kidding me we are now trying to count third party iphone apps? Thats not 3rd party software that runs on your Mac. Seeing you are so high tech maybe you can read up on the difference between apps and software.

You CAN NOT swap out any parts without it voiding your warranty for the exception of ram.

Your one angry little man. Why don't you go take a ride in your pink hybrid with the apple sticker on the window and cool off for a while. Haven't you figured out I was done with this debate a long time ago. You cant have rational debate with someone like you.

You have shown your total and utter lack of any IT knowledge, apps is short for applications, ie software like MS Office, InDesign, Photoshop. You mentioned iPhone apps, I didn't. You will no doubt deny that Apple has got 85,000 apps on their App Store. If you knew anything YOU CAN swap hardware on both Mac and PCs, especially out of warranty, its the same for all manufacturers, PC or Mac, if you change items before the warranty runs out, so your argument was plain stupid. It appears you were too stupid to know, I was playing with you 8 messages ago. Just wanted you to appear more stupid than your first message. Congrats you've won a Gold medal. Quick answer that phone call, a PC user is calling again. I suppose you should be lucky has MS will keep you in a tech support job for life. Its a built-in feature of all PCs.
  • Reply 146 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why would you ever use Amazon to track electronics in the first place? AS if most people buy electronincs from Amazon?

TeckDud, I'm guessing that SLIGHTLY more people buy from Amazon than from your single favorite bestbuy store you seem to hang your hat on .... get real !
  • Reply 147 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Two things:

1. Ms illegally tried to kill browser competition and fought the government on this, if I'm not mistaken.

2. Apple kills competition by developing insanely great products and services where none exists at the time. Do you seriously think the smart phone industry would be where it is today without the iPhone ... same for the app store ... or the same retail experience?

Microsoft could do itself a favor and "steal" Apple's philosophy instead of their products and ideas. That's why we even have fanboys, and I'm proud to be one, because no one likes a thief !

What competition has Apple killed? What are the #1 in besides the ipod? RIM still had three of the top 5 phones in Q1 2009 also having the #1 spot.

http://www.npd.com/press/releases/press_090504.html

Also not sure what you consider insanely great products that overheat most of the time, get stress cracks and need about three firmware updates before they actually work right.

Funny how Apple calls firmware dates as improvements when really they are just fixing broken shit.
  • Reply 148 of 161
    Quote:

As far as how smart I am I think I have this Applle stuff down seeing I have been a systems programmer for IBM for 22 years now and durning that time have always had a Mac and PC on my desk.

I was going to point out that it is spelled Apple, not Applle, but that would be too obvious.
  • Reply 149 of 161
    Quote:

If itunes could not install on Windows the Zune would be killing the ipod.

I'm sorry, but the image of the Zune killing anything made me fall off my chair ... I should sue.
  • Reply 150 of 161
    [QUOTE=extremeskater;1496223][QUOTE=Fonejacker;1496106]
    Quote:

Haven't you figured out I was done with this debate a long time ago. You cant have rational debate with someone like you.

Are you sure you were done a long time ago cause I swear i can still "hear" you talking.
  • Reply 151 of 161
    Quote:

Also not sure what you consider insanely great products that overheat most of the time, get stress cracks and need about three firmware updates before they actually work right.

If I was the manufacturer of a brand new product, I would sure like to have the industry's highest consumer satisfaction rating, or the rate of growth that Apple is presently enjoying or the cash in the bank, for that matter. Hell, for that I'd I would even put up with a few idiots in my custormer data base, present company excepted, of course.
  • Reply 152 of 161
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fonejacker View Post

OK, Microshaft, how much do you want me to pay you, NOT to release any Zune services, software etc

We don't any bug ridden, user unfriendly software. I know its difficult to change a habit of lifetime, but people are fed up with your sub standard software. Thank You.

Do you have the slightest idea of what you are talking about? Or are just raging at the world? I use both an iPhone and a Zune HD (and a Sony Walkman A818 ... and a Cowon X5). Both iTunes and Zune 4.0 softwares work fine on my system (a Mac Mini with Snow Leopard and Windows 7 RC).

Please stop posting FUD.
  • Reply 153 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Zune HD is about to fall out of the top 10 in Amazon's mp3 player rankings.

It's sinking fast.

This is just not an area Microsoft will ever get. They've had a decade to get it.

It doesn't need to be in the top ten of anything to be a nice product. I use a Zune HD and an iPhone? Why? My iPhone's sound quality is so-so. The Zune HD sounds better and I have no desire to burn up my iPhone's battery listening to music. It hardly holds enough of a charge as it is...
  • Reply 154 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Do you want to retract that statement ' They are successful because windows users decide to use them'

What was the reason windows users decided to purchase iPod/iPhone and use the iTunes store.

Again it has nothing to do with operating system, it could be OS2, Linux or even Souliisoul windows being the market leader. People buy iPod/iPhone because its the best product out there and seamless with whatever operating system on their PC.

Tell me why Zune never took off, since it is MS product and loyal windows users should have bought the product.

I do agree with one point, it useless bashing MS, since there mistakes are Apple's gains. MS keep up the good work

I think you are missing the point. He is stating that if Apple had never opened up iTunes/iPod to Windows users, the iPod would just have been a blip on the radar...based purely on numbers. I had a 5GB iPod and Windows XP....NOT FUN using 3rd party software. I NEVER met a soul at my two universities the first two years the iPod was out who even knew what an iPod was. Heck, more new what my minidisc player was!!!

The guy is right. IF Apple had not opened the iPod to Windows, it would not have sold as well. It would never have had the opportunity to expand into the public's eye because 99% of the folks out there are not to going to use a work-around just to transfer files to a machine that does not natively work on their computers.
  • Reply 155 of 161
    ckh1272ckh1272 Posts: 107member
    Quote:

Time Machine has not exactly been around or a long time compared to Windows restore. Yes this problem has been resolved with Time Machine but that didn't help the last ten years.

As far as how smart I am I think I have this Applle stuff down seeing I have been a systems programmer for IBM for 22 years now and durning that time have always had a Mac and PC on my desk.

I see your point, but here's the thing. Even though Mac OSX backup is only two years old (with the release of 10.5), it's backup and recovery is leaps and bounds better than Windows IMO (although it has improved over the years). The restore point is a handy feature in Windows but it is nowhere near as thorough to me. As far as the "not as smart" remark, it more a rebuttal for the remark you made in a earlier post. Those kind of things come off as condescending and have no merit when you don't actually no the person's background. They also serve no purpose towards meaningful discussion.
  • Reply 156 of 161
    To extremeskater---You can replace the RAM, the HD, and the optical drive. Sure there aren't as many sources as there are for Win PCs, but they are there (like OWC, for one). The motherboards, cases, and built in displays (iMacs and laptops) are really the only things that you cannot find aftermarket. I wish they did sell them, but that is the trade off with Apple products overall.

To both extremeskater and fonejacker--Ease up fellas. The senseless bickering is going nowhere fast.
  • Reply 157 of 161
    extremeskater says--"You CAN NOT swap out any parts without it voiding your warranty for the exception of ram. "

You technically can't do that (swap out parts) with any computer under warranty, plain and simple.
  • Reply 158 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

extremeskater says--"You CAN NOT swap out any parts without it voiding your warranty for the exception of ram. "

You technically can't do that (swap out parts) with any computer under warranty, plain and simple.

I agree. This is what I have always gone by in regards to Apple. So I consider ram the only user upgrade that is allowed by them without risk of voiding warranty.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA22109?viewlocale=en_US
  • Reply 159 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckh1272 View Post

I see your point, but here's the thing. Even though Mac OSX backup is only two years old (with the release of 10.5), it's backup and recovery is leaps and bounds better than Windows IMO (although it has improved over the years). The restore point is a handy feature in Windows but it is nowhere near as thorough to me. As far as the "not as smart" remark, it more a rebuttal for the remark you made in a earlier post. Those kind of things come off as condescending and have no merit when you don't actually no the person's background. They also serve no purpose towards meaningful discussion.

The backup process is pretty good if you have Vista Ultimate but if you don't you are right its pretty poor for the exeception of restore.

10.5 was a big improvement however before that it was a real pain in my opinion everytime you had to revert a change.

My point at the start was the comment "everything just works" is a myth and it gets old hearing people use that old catch phrase.
  • Reply 160 of 161
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    If they do release Zune software/service for Mac, I might just buy a Zune HD.