Energy Secretary, Greenpeace praise Apple for Chamber departure

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Both the U.S. Secretary of Energy and Greenpeace have praised Apple's decision to abandon its membership in the U.S. Chamber of Commerce over its stance on climate change.

Energy Secretary Steven Chu commented Thursday on the numerous companies that have left the chamber because they disagree with its stance on climate change. He spoke to reporters at a solar energy event in Washington D.C., according to Reuters.

"I think it's wonderful," Chu said, adding that the effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions are "part of our economic future."

The chamber recently made comments opposing the Environmental Protection Agency's efforts to limit greenhouse gases, and Apple does not agree with that stance. The Mac maker made headlines this week when it declared its departure. Preceding the Cupertino, Calif., company were Nike, Pacific Gas & Electric, PNM Resources, and Exelon.

In his comments, Chu reprotedly urged the chamber to reconsider its stance on the issue. The chamber would rather see Congress set policy through legislation.

"I would encourage the Chamber of Commerce to realize the economic opportunity that the United States can lead in a new industrial revolution," he said.

After Apple announced its departure this week, the chamber fired back, accusing the Mac maker of not taking the time to understand the consortium's stance on the issues. Chamber President Thomas Donohue accused the company of forfeiting the chance to "advance a 21st century approach to climate change."

Also Thursday, the international nongovernmental organization Greenpeace came out in support, declaring "Bravo Apple!" in a news item on its Web site. The group took the opportunity to encourage two other big-name technology companies to do the same.

"Apple has stormed out of the biggest lobby group in the United States," Greenpeace said. "At issue is the US Chamber of Commerce's use of funds to oppose climate change legislation. Apple has done the right thing, and IBM and Microsoft should think different too."

It's quite a change from just a few years ago, when Greenpeace was targeting Apple over the use of toxic chemicals in its products. Since then, the company has made a concerted effort to improve its image. Just weeks ago, Apple began reporting its carbon emissions on its Web site.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Bravo Apple! I'm very impressed by their tremendous efforts at demonstrating and publicizing their environmental efforts. But there's still more work to be done. Go go Apple!
  • Reply 2 of 61
    Chu: (OK, how about the government now purchasing some Macs?)

Greenpeace: (You guys need to give it a rest).
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Apple has appeased the Chicken Little demographic. Way to go, Apple.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    patspats Posts: 112member
    I agre with the premise, but what really matters? Apple cares about their affect about the environment, but they are a bit player in the market, Good luck\
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

...Chicken Little demographic...

How so?

Read much?
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Good! The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has just become a shill for corporations who only care about putting millions of dollars into the pockets of their CEOs. Might as well move their offices to K Street.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

Might as well move their offices to K Street.

US Chamber of Commerce

www.uschamber.com

1615 H St NW

Washington, DC 20062

(202) 659-6000

You're off by just two blocks...... .
  • Reply 8 of 61
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    I am for doing what is good for the environment - not at the expense of everything, or everyone on the planet mind you - but Greenpeace are just attention whores.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    I'm with you, Trajectory! Send those jobs around the world to China, India, Malasia, Mexico, et al. That is, any other growing economy that will NOT, I repeat N-O-T, endorse this sky is falling mantra of global warming.

Cripple the US! Down with the old regime! Long live 20+% unemployment! Hail the workers' paradise that is the US . . . and ignore all those impenetrable brown clouds that are wafting from the east.

Down with the old guard, and damn the US CEO's to hell!

P.S. What should we do with all those US Senators (95-0) that refused to ratify Kyoto back in the 90's? Sick Eric Holder on 'em? Sounds like a good idea to me. Meanwhile, I'm going to sit back, relax, and (to quote the Dear Leader), wait for my electricity bill to "skyrocket"! Bang! Zoom! It's off to the moon, Alice!
  • Reply 10 of 61

deleted

• Reply 11 of 61
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How so?

Read much?

Nah. Little tough when you're busy doing that ostrich thing with your head.
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Nah. Little tough when you're busy doing that ostrich thing with your head.

Yes, when you're burying dead organic matter in the sand.... I mean sequestering carbon....
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Originally Posted by frugality

...Chicken Little demographic...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

How so?

Read much?

Yes, but not the big words?

Gordon
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post

Yes, but not the big words?

Gordon

Yeah, 'anthropogenic' is indeed a big word.

Unnecessarily so, when the IPCC could simply have used 'human-caused.'
  • Reply 15 of 61
    The climate is changing. That's probably pretty well agreed upon.

Humans are a cause. (i.e. it's partly anthropogenic) And that, too, is pretty well agreed upon.

However, it's not a problem.
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Wow, lots of vitriol from the crowd on this one. I actually think this move by Apple is tremendous, and I think the response from Greenpeace is gracious.

Greenpeace must be very pleased with how Apple are operating. Having drawn attention to their frankly poor practices previously, Apple really have turned the page. It just shows that negative publicity can make a difference. Let's hope they can get IBM, Microsoft, Nintendo et al to do the same.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

The climate is changing. That's probably pretty well agreed upon.

Humans are a cause. (i.e. it's partly anthropogenic) And that, too, is pretty well agreed upon.

However, it's not a problem.

Wow, I love that argument, since I've never heard it before. I've always thought it was:

Climate change is not happening, and it's not a problem.

Cimate change is happening, and humans are causing it, and it is a problem.

It had never occurred to me there was a third option!

Not that I agree with you!!!
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Irrational fear is never a good motivator for the formation of policy.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Hmm... I don't know if I'd be too happy if a government bureaucrat and a bunch of hippies were praising me
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Hmm... I don't know if I'd be too happy if a government bureaucrat and a bunch of hippies were praising me

Take a stand on anything and people you're not entirely too comfortable with will try to co-opt your stand to imply that you agree with *them*.

Also: if you're calling Steven Chu a bureaucrat, you need to do some reading.