iPhone tops satisfaction survey for consumers, business users

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's iPhone leads the latest J.D. Power and Associates survey for both consumers and business users, dominating the smartphone segment it arrived on only two years ago.

Leveraging its strengths in ease of operation, operating system, features and physical design, Apple's iPhone scored 811 points out of a possible 1000 with personal-use consumers. LG scored a 776 and RIM's BlackBerry came in a close third at 759. The only area Apple failed to secure with a perfect score was battery function, which earned an average score of two stars out of five.

Perhaps most encouraging for the company was the iPhone's increasing appeal to customers who primarily use their smartphones for business. Apple topped that list too, scoring 803, while the BlackBerry platform finished second at 724.

It's an improvement of 25 points over last November when Apple also topped J.D. Power's satisfaction rankings in the business smartphone segment. The iPhone didn't place in the firm's 2007 report.

The news comes on the heels of Apple's stepped-up efforts to compete in the enterprise market during the last several quarters. This spring, a study called the iPhone a better choice for business than BlackBerry. A few months later, Apple highlighted 18 new corporate-friendly features in iPhone OS 3.0 in the face of a business market dominated by devices running Windows Mobile or BlackBerry operating systems. And more than one year ago, Apple's SDK roadmap announcement set the stage for a beefed-up enterprise strategy.

LG, thanks to its industry-leading scores for battery function, ranked highest in overall satisfaction in traditional handsets, with a score of 723.

J.D. Power's report suggested Apple could attract even more users to the iPhone, based on its feature set. The survey found 22 percent consumer smartphone owners want Wi-Fi capability in their next device, 21 percent desire touchscreen capabilities, and 17 percent would prefer GPS. All three are already key features of Apple's iPhone as more applications have recently arrived offering to get more out of the device's built-in GPS capability (1, 2).

In addition, Apple's iPhone App Store was seen as a benefit for the handset. More than half of business smartphone owners reported downloading third-party games for entertainment, while nearly half said they download travel software like maps and weather applications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    Think of all the derision and condescension that Apple had to overcome from an entrenched industry, to be at this place. Really quite remarkable, all said and done.
  • Reply 2 of 64
    ....a rounding error!
  • Reply 3 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Think of all the derision and condescension that Apple had to overcome from an entrenched industry, to be at this place. Really quite remarkable, all said and done.

Well said.
  • Reply 4 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I?d like to see some GSM-based battery tests doing the same tasks. I use a Mophie Juicepack Air to get a full day, but I am a very heavy internet user who rarely makes a call.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

And after such a short time frame, too.

PS: They obviously didn?t poll the Teckstud and NoVendorFan/SeaHawk Fans of the world.
  • Reply 5 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

....a rounding error!

lmao!
  • Reply 6 of 64
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Now please support multiple Exchange accounts, view shared calendars, invitation capabilities and being able to connect via VPN to a corporate network (read/write). Thank you.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

Now please support multiple Exchange accounts, view shared calendars, invitation capabilities and being able to connect via VPN to a corporate network (read/write). Thank you.

Concatanated email app for multiple accounts and a more robust notification system.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    What exactly are all those idi... --- umm... OK, good decent people --- satisfied with??

With crappy AT&T service? With weeks out of Orange's service and loss in their businesses due to that?? With WiFi, which can't even load single YouTube clip?? With obligation to charge phone every single evening? With glitches and bugs everywhere in software?? With complete ignoring customer's opinion??

And yet, we all indeed are...
  • Reply 9 of 64
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

What exactly are all those idi... --- umm... OK, good decent people --- satisfied with??

With crappy AT&T service? With weeks out of Orange's service and loss in their businesses due to that?? With WiFi, which can't even load single YouTube clip?? With obligation to charge phone every single evening? With glitches and bugs everywhere in software?? With complete ignoring customer's opinion??

Most of the criticism on AT&T's and Orange's services comes from those who don't have an iPhone or don't or can't use these service at all.

Nobody is obligated to charge their phone every single evening. We were dutifully informed since the launch of the iPhone that many things that were desired were held off because of the known and unknown effect on battery life. Try sitting in your car with the engine turned off; then turn on and off your air conditioner/heater, radio, GPS, windshield wipers, audio/video player, turn signals, interior lights, headlights, brakelights, cigarette lighter, adjust power seats/windows/locks, and you plugged in laptop, etc, and see how long it takes before you are sitting their looking as dumb as a doornail trying to explain to your auto club why anybody would think that battery power should be universally unlimited.

What glitches and bugs are you referring to? It should be easy to list since you contend it is everywhere?

And I would suggest that Apple does listen to their customers' opinions.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    Quote:

Always had great service w/ AT&T (even before iPhone, switched from Verizon because they were crippling my phone, switched to Verizon from Sprint before that because their prices sucked).

I don't care about Orange

Never had this problem, ever, and I've had an iPhone since day 1

I've always plugged in every phone I've ever owned at night, I'm not using it so what's so bad about plugging it in?

Glitches and bugs have been far less than I had with previous phones and they didn't do 1/20th what the iPhone does

If they didn't care they wouldn't bother updating anything

Next!
  • Reply 11 of 64
    You wouldn't understand....
  • Reply 12 of 64
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    No surprise here. Good for Apple. And good for us.

This is rathe telling:

Perhaps most encouraging for the company was the iPhone's increasing appeal to customers who primarily use their smartphones for business. Apple topped that list too, scoring 803, while the BlackBerry platform finished second at 724.
  • Reply 13 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Most of the criticism on AT&T's and Orange's services comes from those who don't have an iPhone or don't or can't use these service at all.

First, you prove you have iPhone.

Quote:

What glitches and bugs are you referring to? It should be easy to list since you contend it is everywhere?

Wait... Oh, here you are. You may or may not click on the last element in lists of clips in YouTube app. It is just not watchable.

Wait... When your two road trips cost more, than someone's boat, I don't think it's a good idea to discuss iPhone with that guy.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Quote:

Wait... Oh, here you are. You may or may not click on the last element in lists of clips in YouTube app. It is just not watchable.

Wait... When your two road trips cost more, than someone's boat, I don't think it's a good idea to discuss iPhone with that guy.

Perhaps just querying my previous posts will attest to my having an iPhone. I have in fact posted my data usage/billing info to support unlimited data plans aren't as horrific as many think. I have it, but I also have tethering and have yet exceeded my usage.

I didn't say you don't. But I never complain about something I don't have other than I may wish I had it.

I must admit, I don't have the YouTube app. But to suggest that every app is bad is ludicrous. You have 85,000 to choose from and after a couple of billion downloads and a satisfaction rate that exceeds anything else in this world, your comments appear to come from the other side of the door handle.

If I may, here are a few of links that may provide insight on some of the issues.

Once again, most of the complaints come from people that only drive their cars in rush hour and expect the highway to automatically widen as necessary. There is only one road system that I can think of that could guaranty unimpeded movement and switch me from one direction to another without a possible glitch. However, I am not prepared as yet to terminate my life to find out.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Quote:

So, are you saying you do or don't have an iPhone? It's quite easy to find some negative press and pretend like it has impacted you.

I just tried the YouTube thing - it works fine.

I don't even know wtf that last line means. Who has a boat? Who said their roadtrips are expensive?
  • Reply 16 of 64
    Quote:

Perhaps just querying my previous posts will attest to my having an iPhone.

I didn't say you don't. But I never complain about something I don't have other than I may wish I had it.

I must admit, I don't have the YouTube app. But to suggest that every app is bad is ludicrous. You have 85,000 to choose from and after a couple of billion downloads and a satisfaction rate that exceeds anything else in this world, your comments appear to come from the other side of the door.

If I may, here are a few of links that may provide insight on some of the issues.

Once again, most of the complaints come from people that only drive their cars in rush hour and expect the highway to automatically widen as necessary. There is only one road system that I can think of that could guaranty unimpeded movement and switch me from one direction to another without a possible glitch. However, I am not prepared as yet to terminate my life to find out.

Abster! Peace!

If you're so concerned about my original post, please reread it!

I mean, iPhone is far enough from being perfect, we all can find something in it to complain about.

Yet we are satisfied with this product. We are satisfied with iPhone more, than we are with any other phones. There has been nothing like that before.
  • Reply 17 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

So, are you saying you do or don't have an iPhone? It's quite easy to find some negative press and pretend like it has impacted you.

I don't even know wtf that last line means. Who has a boat? Who said their roadtrips are expensive?

Was it written in the response to your post? Gimme peace, eh?
  • Reply 18 of 64
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Yeah, no problems playing the last item in a YouTube list... And I have no idea what that last thing he's talking about is either.

Quote:

I must admit, I don't have the YouTube app.

How do you not have the YouTube app? I didn't know you could remove the apps that ship with the iPhone.
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Quote:

Abster! Peace!

If you're so concerned about my original post, please reread it!

I mean, iPhone is far enough from being perfect, we all can find something in it to complain about.

Yet we are satisfied with this product. We are satisfied with iPhone more, than we are with any other phones. There has been nothing like that before.

Taken.

And I agree that it is far from perfect, if taken in the right context. Certainly we can find something to complain about. That unfortunately is human nature. But not necessarily my bent.

More important, I forgot to include the links I referenced to above. I, highly recommend them for everybody. And would appreciate any others that are forthcoming.
    a. FCC: Understanding Wireless Telephone Coverage Areas
    b. How to Increase Boost Your Cell Phone Signal Reception, Avoid Dropped Calls and Save Money
    c. Dead Cell Zones
  • Reply 20 of 64
    Quote:

Taken.

And I agree that it is far from perfect, if taken in the right context. Certainly we can find something to complain about. That unfortunately is human nature. But not necessarily my bent.

More important, I forgot to include the links I referenced to above. I, highly recommend them for everybody. And would appreciate any others that forthcoming.
    a. FCC: Understanding Wireless Telephone Coverage Areas http://www.ehow.com/how_5352203_incr...ave-money.html

b. How to Increase Boost Your Cell Phone Signal Reception, Avoid Dropped Calls and Save Money http://www.ehow.com/how_5352203_incr...ave-money.html

c. Dead Cell Zones http://www.deadcellzones.com/

Thanks for your links. We don't have problems with GSM/3G reception in France, but this may be not the worst reading ever, too.

Orange had another kind of problem with iPhones. At the time of 3G [S] launch they got some issues with SIM card activations on national scale. 600,000 iPhone users in France were out of any service, including voice one, for 5 days. They reimbursed us 10 eur for inconveniences, but businessmen complained that they lost a lot of calls from partners and clients, and that 10 eur were by no means satisfactory.