Adobe Photoshop - Y so expensive???

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Why in the world is Photoshop so expensive???

$600 or more for Photoshop?

Are people out there, who aren't students, really shelling out this much money for PS?

It's too bad Adobe has the monopoly on this type of software.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by O-Mac View Post

Because there is no alternative, no competition.

Quote:

Are people out there, who aren't students, really shelling out this much money for PS?

Yep. Some are.

Most (like students) acquire it at considerable discounts, though, or run a pirated copy.

Quote:

That's what you get in a system that allows monopolies. Don't like it? Change it!
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Any clue as to just how much TIME (among other expenses) is needed to create such a product?... While I expect they make a healthy profit on PS, I don't see it as being too outrageously priced.

Like was said before, there are discounted versions if you qualify, there's "Elements" (or whatever it's called these days) if you don't need all the horsepower. But all those coders working for Adobe have families to feed and house as well.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Have you tried pixelmator? It might not be as feature packed as photoshop but it's very nice
  • Reply 4 of 13
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Photoshop Elements is coming out with its newest release and I find that for the vast majority of users it does everything and more that you will likely need. ... about $100.00 or so.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Well, I think ur first two questions have been answered already, so here's a bit on the 3rd: for the past 4 or 5 years we have paid 1500+ for the first CS, and about 900+ every 12-18 months afterwards for upgrades to Master Suite. It even got worse, as between CS and CS3 we went all mac, and then had to buy another full license. We are now talking the price of a new car in total (Indian Tata). When CS 5 comes out, it will be another 1000$. It's tiresome, it really is, paying so much for such bloatware, but as a business we are stuck. U gotta have Photoshop Extended to be competitive. U need illustrator and Acrobat Pro. Dreamweaver is a must. The rest is really trash, but sometimes we get Premiere Pro jobs we must edit. Flash is the same, and Indesign is actually the best thing out there (along with Photoshop and Illustrator). Adobe has creatives over a barrel, and we are getting reamed all the time, but that's just life...Apple software (ie. FCS) is essential and not cheap as well. At least iWork is a reasonably priced...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    If you buy Photoshop through Vuze it is free.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

If you buy Photoshop through Vuze it is free.

Maybe you can explain the discrepancy in your statement between "buy" and "free"?

And maybe you can also explain what, who, or where "Vuze" is?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    How exactly did GraphicConverter ($35) fail to do the job????

Doing professional image processing? Your company will buy Photoshop...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

How exactly did GraphicConverter ($35) fail to do the job????

Excuse me? Photoshop compares to GraphicConverter like a Mercedes 500 SEC to a moped!

Having said that though, GraphicConverter is excellent for quick resizing and similar simple graphic procedures. I've used GraphicConverter since 1991! Still use it today. And never paid a dime!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post

Excuse me? Photoshop compares to GraphicConverter like a Mercedes 500 SEC to a moped!

Having said that though, GraphicConverter is excellent for quick resizing and similar simple graphic procedures. I've used GraphicConverter since 1991! Still use it today. And never paid a dime!

Exactly. Nobody's arguing.

Do you know how painfully all those $%^$*^&& dorks on their bikes get on your nerves, when they just pull ahead of you again and again while normal people are being dead jammed on the road in Mercedeses?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Well, if you're part of a company, the cost of Photoshop is a drop in the bucket, even for dozens of people. Anyways, most companies get Photoshop as part of a CS package because they will likely need one of the other products like InDesign, Illustrator, Flash, or Acrobat Pro. In that case, PS drops to a very reasonable part of a whole package.

For photographers that need just Photoshop, a photographer, a decent one, will make that money back in no time.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

If you use Photoshop for a living it is a write off, meaning that money you spent, is not taxable income.

Also, dreamweaver is crap. There I said it. All the hardcore engineers I work with cant stand it.

Any wysiwyg web editor that requires me to go back and fix the code is garbage. I dont mean a little, I mean a lot. As in "why dont I just write this crap from scratch if its gonna be this much of a pain".

Alternatives? There are a lot of visual development environments that work better. Heck I even use photoshops save for web sometimes for quick and dirty static webs.