iPhone tops satisfaction survey for consumers, business users

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

How do you not have the YouTube app? I didn't know you could remove the apps that ship with the iPhone.

My apologies, in part.

Your are right. You can not remove the apps that ship with the iPhone. However, you can use Parental controls to hide it.

I never used the YouTube app. In fact, it is one of two that I used Parental control panel to hide the default apps.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Thanks for your links. We don't have problems with GSM/3G reception in France, but this may be not the worst reading ever, too.

Orange had another kind of problem with iPhones. At the time of 3G [S] launch they got some issues with SIM activations on national scale. 600,000 iPhone users in France were out of any service, including voice one, for 5 days. They reimbursed us 10 eur for inconveniences, but businessmen complained that they lost a lot of calls from partners and clients, and that 10 eur were by no means satisfactory.

You are welcome.

I have had a cell phone since the beginning. My first was a 10 lb 5watt brick from Nokia back in the '80's.

I can't say how much I like my iPhone. Best cell phone I ever had. Sure I get dropped calls, but after using wireless in the army, I know what it is like when you get cut off. Nothing better that a hardwire connection, except when it gets cut in half.

I understand the factors that affect wireless communication. In particular moving out from one cell to another.

Recently, I have been monitoring my calls and I am beginning to suspect that the issue may be further compromised when switching from one cell tower to another is controlled by another service provider.

In other words. is there a difference in the incidence of dropped calls calling somebody using the same wireless service vs calling somebody using a competitive service as you move from service's tower to another? I am begining to wonder.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You are welcome.

I have had a cell phone since the beginning. My first was a 10 lb 5watt brick from Nokia back in the '80's.

I can't say how much I like my iPhone. Best cell phone I ever had. Sure I get dropped calls, but after using wireless in the army, I know what it is like when you get cut off. Nothing better that a hardwire connection, except when it gets cut in half.

I understand the factors that affect wireless communication. In particular moving out from one cell to another.

Recently, I have been monitoring my calls and I am beginning to suspect that the issue may be further compromised when connected from the switch from on cell tower to another is controlled by another service provider.

In other words. is there a difference in the incidence of dropped calls calling somebody using the same wireless service vs calling somebody using a competitive service as you move from service's tower to another?

I had some cellphones in earlier days, too. OK, it was rather in 90's, not in 80's. They were weighty enough. I had some pagers before... They were lighter, than cellphones.

I write my 'provocative' posts, because I'm really excited by the job, which Apple's marketing does.

iPhone is very average phone from technical point of view. I joined the community of iPhone owners not because of iPhone's exceptional quality or outstanding features, but just because I wanted to see yet another product having been created by Apple. I'm indeed upset by its battery life. I'm mocking at its small software and hardware errors and at issues on carriers' side.

What is interesting, all those issues don't push me to the point of leaving iPhone crowd. iPhone is indeed useable.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    Quote:

Recently, I have been monitoring my calls and I am beginning to suspect that the issue may be further compromised when switching from one cell tower to another is controlled by another service provider.

In other words. is there a difference in the incidence of dropped calls calling somebody using the same wireless service vs calling somebody using a competitive service as you move from service's tower to another? I am begining to wonder.

I heard about this theory of dropped calls because of handovers. I checked into it a bit.

Way too complex and artificial explanation, imo.

AT&T just can't handle data rates they set up for their network. Orange's 3G is rock solid. It is everywhere down to the heart of national parks. Why? Because it's way slower and thus it's manageable.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    http://www.businessinsider.com/henry...-lunch-2009-10

The writing's on the wall. For now.

I wonder what kind of gains Android will make assuming Apple keeps up steady iPhone development.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    Quote:

I heard about this theory of dropped calls because of handovers. I checked into it a bit.

Way too complex and artificial explanation, imo.

AT&T just can't handle data rates they set up for their network. Orange's 3G is rock solid. It is everywhere down to the heart of national parks. Why? Because it's way slower and thus it's manageable.

Not sure if that is the issue.

There are a number of reasons why the European wireless market is perceived to be better than AT&T or for that matter Verizon as well.

The US wireless market is significantly, geographically more massive and more varied in nature. Then you also have to consider man-made structures that all can create wireless interference.

Basically, many of the European countries had terrible land line communications relative to the US and in particular Canada. Two places that didn't have the retrofitting issues that the older countries suffered. Wireless became more important for some and in most cases, taxpayers became the major financiers for the new technology.

Smaller areas to develop, higher population densities and bottomless money-pits to draw from, made earlier development cheaper and easier. And, equally important, the competition was virtually zilch, and a single standard easier to establish. There is something that can be said for government control, particularly when the cost doesn't come directly out of your pocket.

Bottom line though, we may pay more for certain things, but overall it costs us less. Cripes, how much does is cost you to make a cell call to a phone 5,000 kms from Paris. Last I looked, New York to LA was free, or included in the monthly voice plan.

Right now, AT&T is handling more data via a cell phone than any other service in the world. I doubt there is an Orange anywhere that could universally handle it any better than AT&T has done. Even now that they know what would be in-store for then if they did.
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Complete freakin' mess.

http://www.electronista.com/articles....team.at.risk/

Redmond can't execute worth ish.
  • Reply 28 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Complete freakin' mess.

http://www.electronista.com/articles....team.at.risk/

Redmond can't execute worth ish.

"Among the errors, Microsoft is said to have been too ambitious and tried to develop both CDMA/EVDO and UMTS/HSPA of the Pure and Turtle designs alike, not realizing that each needed different chipsets and antennas that would dictate fundamental changes to each"

But for many bloggers, that should have been easy to do. Obviously not.
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Quote:

Not sure if that is the issue.

There are a number of reasons why the European wireless market is perceived to be better than AT&T or for that matter Verizon as well.

All that is much less about markets and money, than it is about the physics and spectra.

Quote:

Bottom line though, we may pay more for certain things, but overall it costs us less. Cripes, how much does is cost you to make a cell call to a phone 5,000 kms from Paris. Last I looked, New York to LA was free, or included in the monthly voice plan.

Had we 5,000 kms to call over, it would be included in our monthly plans. Packets are no more carried by the pigeon post, you know. They leave base stations by wires. See, kilobytes of my posts on AppleInsider have travelled over the Atlantic for free.

Quote:

Right now, AT&T is handling more data via a cell phone than any other service in the world. I doubt there is an Orange anywhere that could universally handle it any better than AT&T has done. Even now that they know what would be in-store for then if they did.

Apparently, Orange does it better in its zone of responsibility.
  • Reply 30 of 64
    Quote:

Had we 5,000 kms to call over, it would be included in our monthly plans. Packets are no more carried by the pigeon post, you know. They leave base stations by wires. See, kilobytes of my posts on AppleInsider have travelled over the Atlantic for free.

My error. New York to LA is about 4,000 kms. Paris to Moscow on the other hand is about 2500 kms. Wonder what the cost of calling Moscow is on your iPhone?

Quote:

B]Apparently, Orange does it better in its zone of responsibility.[/B]

Apparently not.

Criticism*

"In August 2008, after well publicized problems with iPhone 3G performances, customers compared their download speed and discovered that Orange in France was capping 3G download bandwidth. Orange admitted capping to 384kbit/s, way below the theoretic 7.2Mbit/s provided by the iPhone.

In June 2008 Alex Singleton of the Daily Telegraph lambasted Orange's customer service[3]:

"The hatred that large numbers of Orange customers have towards their network is mostly France Telecom's fault. The French firm utterly wrecked the company it bought. Internet forums are now full of angry customers who have been billed incorrectly or otherwise wronged, and who have found ringing Orange to complain a horrible experience.""

* And there is more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(telecommunications)
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Quote:

My error. New York to LA is about 4,000 kms. Paris to Moscow on the other hand is about 2500 kms. Wonder what the cost of calling Moscow is on your iPhone?

0, i believe. I should have installed iSip recently.

Quote:

Apparently not.

Criticism*

"In August 2008, after well publicized problems with iPhone 3G performances, customers compared their download speed and discovered that Orange in France was capping 3G download bandwidth. Orange admitted capping to 384kbit/s, way below the theoretic 7.2Mbit/s provided by the iPhone.

This is exactly what I was telling you. Yep. But there're no dropped calls at all, there is 3G everywhere. Dozens of Mobile TV providers broadcast over that 3G with no restrictions and in acceptable quality. AT&T's throughput may theoretically be near iPhone limits, but it is good for nothing but complaints about dropped calls.

Quote:

In June 2008 Alex Singleton of the Daily Telegraph lambasted Orange's customer service[3]:

"The hatred that large numbers of Orange customers have towards their network is mostly France Telecom's fault. The French firm utterly wrecked the company it bought. Internet forums are now full of angry customers who have been billed incorrectly or otherwise wronged, and who have found ringing Orange to complain a horrible experience.""

Quote:

* And there is more. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(telecommunications)

Wikipedia does not tell us one thing. Few discuss WiFi on french iPhone forums. We just ask Orange for 4G.
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Quote:

My apologies, in part.

Your are right. You can not remove the apps that ship with the iPhone. However, you can use Parental controls to hide it.

I never used the YouTube app. In fact, it is one of two that I used Parental control panel to hide the default apps.

I don't have it on my phone (and no, I did not use parental controls). I deleted mine during the first 2.0 software version from my mac. I actually stumped Apple Geniuses about how to get it back on. I'm pretty sure they plugged that hole, because there was no way to restore the app onto the phone once deleted from my Mac.

I don't miss the app much, and I like having the icon space back.
  • Reply 33 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

J.D. Power's report suggested Apple could attract even more users to the iPhone, based on its feature set. The survey found 22 percent consumer smartphone owners want Wi-Fi capability in their next device, 21 percent desire touchscreen capabilities, and 17 percent would prefer GPS. All three are already key features of Apple's iPhone as more applications have recently arrived offering to get more out of the device's built-in GPS capability (1, 2).

Kudos to Apple for pulling a Wayne Gretzky - going to where the puck is going to be!

(not the current Wayne Gretzky...disappearing off the face of the media planet for a miserable GM turn).
  • Reply 34 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

Kudos to Apple for pulling a Wayne Gretzky - going to where the puck is going to be!

(not the current Wayne Gretzky...disappearing off the face of the media planet for a miserable GM turn).

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...1000291218.htm

It's getting real ugly.

What's shocking is for how long MS just let this slide. It's been years and MS still hasn't figured out how to make a decent phone OS.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The only area Apple failed to secure with a perfect score was battery function, which earned an average score of two stars out of five..

So, I really dig the iPhone, after 2 years it still offers more bang for the buck, more fun, great integration with most of my other stuff (a lot of this due to the SDK and third party supporting aps). But, 2/5 is dismal for battery rating. That's below average guys. Granted mine may be worse with only a 3G, but this could really put a damper on my day when I need it to be my "PC" on the go. With moderate use, I cannot even get a full day--and I know all the battery saving tricks. Apple should focus less on gorging all the nand memory and try packing in some more power. Recently I was at a 3-day even with no access to charging port, using various aps, network aps and phone all the time. Which was OK until about 5 PM when it just died, with another 5-6 hours of the long day to go.

I'd even pay more for this. But I think you guys are downplaying the significance of the real issue here. Battery life sucks sucks sucks.
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sundoggy View Post

So, I really dig the iPhone, after 2 years it still offers more bang for the buck, more fun, great integration with most of my other stuff (a lot of this due to the SDK and third party supporting aps). But, 2/5 is dismal for battery rating. That's below average guys. Granted mine may be worse with only a 3G, but this could really put a damper on my day when I need it to be my "PC" on the go. With moderate use, I cannot even get a full day--and I know all the battery saving tricks. Apple should focus less on gorging all the nand memory and try packing in some more power. Recently I was at a 3-day even with no access to charging port, using various aps, network aps and phone all the time. Which was OK until about 5 PM when it just died, with another 5-6 hours of the long day to go.

I'd even pay more for this. But I think you guys are downplaying the significance of the real issue here. Battery life sucks sucks sucks.

Keep in mind there is no other device out there that is as data-intensive and battery-hungry as the iPhone. Gaming exists on the iPhone, for example. It is virtually none-existent on the other platforms. There's nothing to compare it to. No other smartphone out there stresses battery life quite like the iPhone because no other smartphone has anywhere near the capabilties and level of usage the iPhone enjoys. The iPhone is a unique case.
  • Reply 37 of 64
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Keep in mind there is no other device out there that is as data-intensive and battery-hungry as the iPhone. Gaming exists on the iPhone, for example. It is virtually none-existent on the other platforms. There's nothing to compare it to. No other smartphone out there stresses battery life quite like the iPhone because no other smartphone has anywhere near the capabilties and level of usage the iPhone enjoys. The iPhone is a unique case.

No other device? Yeah right...
  • Reply 38 of 64
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

until there's a PSP or DS phone name another phone that's as widely used for gaming? NGage?

Compare NFS Underground on NGage and the iPhone.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

However, Donovan [, AT&T?s CTO,] says that the company is working hard to address the sharp increase in data use over the last few years, and says iPhone users are only a small part of the problem

Um? besides the data usage timeline suggesting otherwise, maybe Donovan should rethink his stance because saying that the iPhone is a small part of the problem just makes AT&T look even more pathetic.

Quote:

A recent analysis of the subsidies that AT&T is paying for each new iPhone subscriber reveals that, combined with wireless network infrastructure expenditures, AT&T doesn't even break even on iPhone accounts until about 17 months into the standard two-year contract.

• Reply 40 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Don?t be a pedantic troll. You know that he means smartphone devices.