iPhone tops satisfaction survey for consumers, business users

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don?t be a pedantic troll. You know that he means smartphone devices.

If he meant that he should have said so, and then he still would be wrong.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

If he meant that he should have said so, and then he still would be wrong.

Then please show me evidence that another smartphone OS using more bandwidth than the iPhone. All reports I?ve read sow the iPhone clearly trouncing every other phone OS in internet data use.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Quote:

Then please show me evidence that another smartphone OS using more bandwidth than the iPhone. All reports I’ve read sow the iPhone clearly trouncing every other phone OS in internet data use.

Why don't you list one function that would provide the iPhone anymore data requirements than any other smartphone (or device as the original person listed it)
  • Reply 44 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

until there's a PSP or DS phone name another phone that's as widely used for gaming? NGage?

Compare NFS Underground on NGage and the iPhone.

Well you can thether the PSP Go to a phone, so that is a bad example. And why would I be comparing games between the devices when we are discussing data requirements?
  • Reply 45 of 64
    Quote:

Why don't you list one function that would provide the iPhone anymore data requirements than any other smartphone (or device as the original person listed it)

How does one answer a question that makes absolutely no sense? Have you not seen any of the many separate articles and stats on the iPhone?s internet usage being excessively higher than any other smartphone? Your ?one function [?] data requirements? query makes absolutely no sense. What part of the iPhone data usage is a requirement, not a choice by the user? What one function are looking for: Usability?
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:

How does one answer a question that makes absolutely no sense? Have you not seen any of the many separate articles and stats on the iPhone?s internet usage being excessively higher than any other smartphone? Your ?one function [?] data requirements? query makes absolutely no sense. What part of the iPhone data usage is a requirement, not a choice by the user? What one function are looking for: Usability?

Well you just did it...

Which are we talking about, usage, or bandwidth, because the user said

Quote:

Keep in mind there is no other device out there that is as data-intensive and battery-hungry as the iPhone.

Which is incorrect, there are plenty of other devices, and smartphones that can use just as much data as the iPhone, the iPhone is not a unique piece of equipment in this respect.

Usage on the other hand, iPhone users may use more data, but that doesn't mean the iPhone itself consumes more.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    Quote:

Well you just did it...

Which are we talking about, usage, or bandwidth, because the user said

Which is incorrect, there are plenty of other devices, and smartphones that can use just as much data as the iPhone, the iPhone is not a unique piece of equipment in this respect.

Usage on the other hand, iPhone users may use more data, but that doesn't mean the iPhone itself consumes more.

What did we discuss about being trollishly pedantic? You know exactly what the poster meant. Do you really expect us to think that you didn?t understand that ?data-intensive? in that sense meant anything else but usage? You?re teetering on Teckstudian-grade backpedalling at this point.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:

What did we discuss about being trollishly pedantic? You know exactly what the poster meant. Do you really expect us to think that you didn?t understand that ?data-intensive? in that sense meant anything else but usage? You?re teetering on Teckstudian-grade backpedalling at this point.

No, I don't know what the poster meant, do I have to assume everything?

If Quadra 610 is trying to make a point, they should make it, and say what they mean.

Quote:

Keep in mind there is no other device out there that is as data-intensive and battery-hungry as the iPhone.

False

Quote:

Gaming exists on the iPhone, for example. It is virtually none-existent on the other platforms.

I will follow your lead and assume they are talking about mobile platforms, which is also incorrect. Any phone that supports J2ME supports games, and some devices (such as Symbian etc) have native games.

Quote:

There's nothing to compare it to.

Well that is just plan wrong.

Quote:

No other smartphone out there stresses battery life quite like the iPhone because no other smartphone has anywhere near the capabilties and level of usage the iPhone enjoys. The iPhone is a unique case

Do they mean this as a good thing or bad? But usage of the device I will agree with, they may very well use their phone capabilities more (well in the US, haven't seen any reports from outside the US).

Which brings us back to point one...

Quote:

Data-intensive...

Looking at the Apple Dictionary

Quote:

1 concentrated on a single area or subject or into a short time; very thorough or vigorous : she undertook an intensive Arabic course | eight days of intensive arms talks.

? (of agriculture) aiming to achieve the highest possible level of production within a limited area, esp. by using chemical and technological aids : intensive farming. Often contrasted with extensive (sense 2).

? [usu. in combination ] (typically in business and economics) concentrating on or making much use of a specified thing : computer-intensive methods.

2 Grammar (of an adjective, adverb, or particle) expressing intensity; giving force or emphasis.

3 denoting a property that is measured in terms of intensity (e.g., concentration) rather than of extent (e.g., volume), and so is not simply increased by addition of one thing to another.

Well, as I said before, and as I said initially, yeah right...
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Quote:

No, I don't know what the poster meant, do I have to assume everything?

If Quadra 610 is trying to make a point, they should make it, and say what they mean.

False

I will follow your lead and assume they are talking about mobile platforms, which is also incorrect. Any phone that supports J2ME supports games, and some devices (such as Symbian etc) have native games.

Well that is just plan wrong.

Do they mean this as a good thing or bad? But usage of the device I will agree with, they may very well use their phone capabilities more (well in the US, haven't seen any reports from outside the US).

Which brings us back to point one...

Data-intensive...

Looking at the Apple Dictionary

Well, as I said before, and as I said initially, yeah right...

Compare the kind of usage the iPhone gets in terms of browser usage, power-hungry games (LOL, gaming on Symbian??), and the general stress that iPhone users have put on networks.

There is literally no comparison with anything else out there whatsoever. You can't compare battery performance because there is no other smartphone of its kind to compare it to.

The simple point is, that iPhone users are taking full advantage of all of the iPhone's features - web browsing, gaming, everything, in ways that other smartphone users do not. Web browser usage alone on the iPhone far outdoes web browser usage on other smartphones. Heavier, more frequent usage means users are draining their battery quicker.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Compare the kind of usage the iPhone gets in terms of browser usage, power-hungry games (LOL, gaming on Symbian??), and the general stress that iPhone users have put on networks.

Now you are confusing yourself. You are talking about two different things and interchanging them.

1. Device Usage.

2. Data intensive (throughput, bandwidth requirements whatever).

ok, for these two things, I will give you No.1 for the USA (nothing available for you to claim outout the US)

For No.2, there are plently of other devices (or smartphones if I assume that is what you mean) that can perform data intensive operations, the iPhone is not unique in this situation, and if you think it is you need to get out more, there are, and there has been for a number of years, wireless data devices that can perform data intensive operations.

Quote:

There is literally no comparison with anything else out there whatsoever. You can't compare battery performance because there is no other smartphone of its kind to compare it to.

Yes there is, there are plently of tablets available that can perform wireless data, and they have batteries in them, they might not do voice, but you are talking about data intensive operations, not voice.

Quote:

The simple point is, that iPhone users are taking full advantage of all of the iPhone's features - web browsing, gaming, everything, in ways that other smartphone users do not. Web browser usage alone on the iPhone far outdoes web browser usage on other smartphones. Heavier, more frequent usage means users are draining their battery quicker.

Wow, so using a device more will make its battery drain faster? Thanks for that, I was wondering why my laptop battery was going flat...

Can you provide details of international web browser usage for the iPhone compared to other devices (not using that mobad thing, that doesn't count). And there are plently of other uses of mobile data than just web browsing, how do you count these into your usage stats?
  • Reply 51 of 64
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    For one thing, the iPhone was built for web surfing. And it shows.

http://jkontherun.com/2009/03/02/net...hone-66-share/

I'll post more a bit later. Thanksgiving duties, etc.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:

You?re wasting your time. He?ll never admit to being wrong or that his singular understanding of intensive can also refer to a duration.

PS: I assume that my usage pattern is more data intensive than the average person with about ~25GiB up and down for September bill cycle.
  • Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:

Great link, I especially like the bit that says...

Quote:

The report you requested requires that you are a subscriber to "Mobile Platforms Upgrade".

Also, you are missing the point, I have claimed that iPhone users don't use their devices more, I said the iPhone isn't any more data intensive than any other device (which you claimed it was.)

And like I asked, how does non-web data transfers fit into these stats?
  • Reply 54 of 64
    Quote:

You’re wasting your time. He’ll never admit to being wrong or that his singular understanding of intensive can also refer to a duration.

Wasting his time? The only time wasting he is doing is back pedalling from the initial claim he made.

Quote:

PS: I assume that my usage pattern is more data intensive than the average person with about ~25GiB up and down for September bill cycle.

Let's say I go purchase a local iPhone today, if I was to do that much via the cell network my provider would charge me ~US$4500 to thank me...

EDIT: If I was to commit to the most expensive local plan they would only reward me with an additional US$1800 bill
  • Reply 55 of 64
    Quote:

Great link, I especially like the bit that says...

Also, you are missing the point, I have claimed that iPhone users don't use their devices more, I said the iPhone isn't any more data intensive than any other device (which you claimed it was.)

It's based on overall usage + frequency of use of apps that place a premium on battery life. I wasn't saying anything about network stress.

The games alone can be incredibly power-hungry, and to date, nothing like them exist on other smartphones. The App Store has opened the floodgates to the kind of smartphone usage (apps, services, games, etc.) that is unprecedented and does not exist on the same level with other smartphones.

Another link to brower stats:

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-...ant-mobile-net

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/30/...request-share/
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Quote:

It's based on overall usage + frequency of use of apps that place a premium on battery life. I wasn't saying anything about network stress.

If you stress any device that has a battery it will run down the battery faster, this isn't unique to the iPhone, it is a common thing on all devices.

Quote:

The games alone can be incredibly power-hungry, and to date, nothing like them exist on other smartphones. The App Store has opened the floodgates to the kind of smartphone usage (apps, services, games, etc.) that is unprecedented and does not exist on the same level with other smartphones.

Why bring up games, we (well you brought it up) were talking about data intensive operations, nothing to do with games.

I said don't link to the AdMob thing because it is flawed, and yet you provide two links to it
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Quote:

If you stress any device that has a battery it will run down the battery faster, this isn't unique to the iPhone, it is a common thing on all devices.

Why bring up games, we (well you brought it up) were talking about data intensive operations, nothing to do with games.

I said don't link to the AdMob thing because it is flawed, and yet you provide two links to it

Then you'd better tell the AdMob folks that it's "flawed" (because you say so) and that they've got it all wrong.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:

Then you'd better tell the AdMob folks that it's "flawed" (because you say so) and that they've got it all wrong.

What is so funny about that, I asked you for some examples, I asked you to exclude one that is going around (and has been proved to be flawed) yet all you can provide is two links to the same flawed result.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Well you can thether the PSP Go to a phone, so that is a bad example. And why would I be comparing games between the devices when we are discussing data requirements?

Because we're not discussing data requirements but battery life. He said the battery gets used up from folks surfing more and playing games in addition to using it as a phone. Sorry that you got hung up on that "data intensive" phrase but frankly we can't help your poor reading comprehension and narrow focus on two words out an entire freaking paragraph.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

NYT disagrees. They use 10 times the network capacity than the average smartphone user. This includes browsing, twitter, maps, apps, video, yelp, flicker, weather, etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/03/te...t.html?_r=2&hp

There's also little reason to believe that usage patterns differ that much between wifi and 3g. The speed will be slower (much) but pretty much I use my phone the same whether in wifi or 3g. The iPhone is used MUCH more heavily than any other phone at wifi spots.

http://mashable.com/2009/08/31/iphone-wifi/

Don't like admob? Try M:Metrics.

http://gigaom.com/2008/03/18/iphone-...ving-more-fun/

30% vs 14% for on demand video. A "data intensive" feature more heavily used on the iPhone than on other smart phones. This is back in March 2008.

Chetan Sharma Consulting found this:

"According to research by Chetan Sharma Consulting, the average "feature-filled" cell phone user consumes 40MB of data during a month. The average smartphone, 140MB over the same time period. T-Mobile's G1 with the Google Android OS sucks down around 300MB on average per month. The average iPhone data sucked down during that same month? A whooping 500MB."

Checked against wifi data usage doing typical iphone tasks:

http://www.maclife.com/article/featu..._app_data_hogs

After 3 minutes these apps used this much bandwidth

App Store 28.47MB

iTunes 14.42MB

YouTube 11.62MB

Now Playing 10.46MB

Pandora 8.51MB

Flicker 6.7MB

Maps 5.56MB

Safari 2.64MB

Facebook 1.546MB

Tweetie 807kB

So 500MB / month is not an unlikely average. Note that App Store, iTunes, YouTube, Now Playing are all streaming video or apps to the phone. These are called "data intensive" tasks for the pendantic.

Enough of me being your google whore for tonight. Don't like these links? Find better ones or bugger off.