Microsoft's Danger SideKick data loss casts dark on cloud computing

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    Ouch. Sucks to be Microsoft, doesn't it?
  • Reply 22 of 103
    I know there are well-paid, foam-mouthed M$ lurkers on the forums who will object to my question.

But.

Is M$ a ticking time bomb?
  • Reply 23 of 103
    Ina Fried is a guy, or used to be one.
  • Reply 24 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

So how valuable is Mozy or Carbonite type back up services? At just under 5 bucks a month, you think a customer's data on a MS server or anyone's outside sever can be backed up? Can it be backed up or is Carbonite and services like it, not designed that way? If they are, that would definitely absolve a corporation's "IT the costs for redundancy and back up (as well as support staff, training, procedure development, test labs, etc.) has to be justified" when another service offers protection and a million dollar insurance promise!

Now keep in mind that Mozy and Carbonite aren't promising that they are keeping your data safe and under duplication on their side. They are providing you a potential safety net of 'user error' or 'crashes'.

Not sure about the million dollar promise? Funny, I did a Google for "million dollar promise backup" and the third link is an article about Carbonite suing Promise storage for "significant data loss", ha.

What's more, read the terms for Mozy and Carbonite. (A couple quotes from a quick scan by me are below.)

Mozy:

Quote:

...YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGES TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OR USE OF THE SOFTWARE OR SERVICE...

Carbonite:

Quote:

Should your data be lost by Carbonite we will undertake commercially reasonable efforts to create a replacement back-up from the files stored on your computer.

Quote:

YOU AGREE TO DEFEND, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS CARBONITE...ALL... LOSSES...

So even these services that promise to do nothing but exclusively back up your data, say in the terms that they in no way are responsible for... any loss of your data!

If you are asking what I think their risk model is, then it is this: Distribute and minimize concurrent loss of data. A majority of the users who think they are safely duplicating their data won't notice or even know if their data got corrupted at the backup service. Those few who do, will be scattered over time and will simply look like disgruntled customers. Give them back their $5 from the last month they paid for and let them cry in their latte while they read the Terms.

BTW- I'm not condoning any of this, just telling you how I think they operate.
  • Reply 25 of 103
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    I have to admit, I'm a little embarrassed at how much I'm enjoying reading about microsoft's troubles with Danger.
  • Reply 26 of 103
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

So how valuable is Mozy or Carbonite type back up services? At just under 5 bucks a month, you think a customer's data on a MS server or anyone's outside sever can be backed up? Can it be backed up or is Carbonite and services like it, not designed that way? If they are, that would definitely absolve a corporation's "IT the costs for redundancy and back up (as well as support staff, training, procedure development, test labs, etc.) has to be justified" when another service offers protection and a million dollar insurance promise!

isn't Mozy owned by EMC?
  • Reply 27 of 103
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I have to admit, I'm a little embarrassed at how much I'm enjoying reading about microsoft's troubles with Danger.

• Reply 28 of 103
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    This is unbelievable. You mean to tell me someone actually bought a Sidekick?
  • Reply 29 of 103
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    I don't know which word is more indicative of doom and disaster, the word "danger" or the word "Microsoft". In this case, we have both of them. Probably should have seen this coming.

Thompson
  • Reply 30 of 103
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    i can't find info on how many T-Mobile customers have been affected, or how many Danger phones are now in use? anyone know? a million? more?

to avoid nasty litigation T-Mobile is going to have to let them cancel their contracts. it failed to provide the contract services, which is a breach, and their loss of data has an economic loss value too. i'd bet a large % will - more than 50% - and switch to an Android phone from T-Mobile, or an iPhone. Win Mo 6.5? i don't think so!
  • Reply 31 of 103
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    ok, both NYT and WSJ are reporting there are about a million Sidekick owners on T-Mobile, but not all lost all data. how many, how much, no one knows yet.

as one blogger hints, MS really screwed the pooch this time.
  • Reply 32 of 103
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

i can't find info on how many T-Mobile customers have been affected, or how many Danger phones are now in use? anyone know? a million? more?

to avoid nasty litigation T-Mobile is going to have to let them cancel their contracts. it failed to provide the contract services, which is a breach, and their loss of data has an economic loss value too. i'd bet a large % will - more than 50% - and switch to an Android phone from T-Mobile, or an iPhone. Win Mo 6.5? i don't think so!

If T-Mobile has to settle, the litigation would be T-Mobile suing Microsoft.

Can't wait to hear how Ballmer spins this one. Zune-phone anyone?
  • Reply 33 of 103
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Why was the entire focus of this article on how Apple's method is better than Danger's?
  • Reply 34 of 103
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Cloud computing: When it rains it pours.

Anyway, sucks to be a subscriber to the Danger service. T-Mobile and Microsoft/Danger should do the right thing by providing a month or two of free service to the Sidekick user base. That would be just and serve to extinguish any anger towards them for their mistake.
  • Reply 35 of 103
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Why was the entire focus of this article on how Apple's method is better than Danger's?

"By Daniel Eran Dilger"
  • Reply 36 of 103
    The device lives up to its name. Feeling lucky? Just don't get any old SideKick, get a Danger SideKick!
  • Reply 37 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

It wasn't, but allowing users to maintain control of their own data locally is an major plus for the iPhone, and the contrast could not be starker than against this disaster, so why not mention it. I'm not a fanboy of Richard Stallman (or the GPL, for that matter) but he was right on this matter: cloud computing is a trap.
  • Reply 38 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Cloud computing: When it rains it pours.

Anyway, sucks to be a subscriber to the Danger service. T-Mobile and Microsoft/Danger should do the right thing by providing a month or two of free service to the Sidekick user base. That would be just and serve to extinguish any anger towards them for their mistake.

You guys should know it more than anyone. Paying $99 a year for crap for 5 years of crap and misguided launches.

Way to Kick it to Microsoft. Mobile Vista has been your savior along with stability and features that you pay for.

Microsoft is not Dead, as much as you wish.

Google 2010 is the future for phones.

Apple is going to survive on 3rd world countries with Free phones in 2011 and then ask Microsoft & Google for another Loan to pull them out of the fire.

Except this time Microsoft & Google have each other and don't have to worry about a 3rd rate company to keep the FTC happy.

Palm and Apple can fight for the bottom fish in the phone market.

In the computer Market Apple is screwed in 2 years when they don't have the legacy iPhone money to inflate their earnings numbers.

Why do you think they changed the way they report earnings? It doesn't take Einstein to figure it out.
  • Reply 39 of 103
    What is a Sidekick?
  • Reply 40 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

You guys should know it more than anyone. Paying $99 a year for crap for 5 years of crap and misguided launches.

Way to Kick it to Microsoft. Mobile Vista has been your savior along with stability and features that you pay for.

Microsoft is not Dead, as much as you wish.

Google 2010 is the future for phones.

Apple is going to survive on 3rd world countries with Free phones in 2011 and then ask Microsoft & Google for another Loan to pull them out of the fire.

Except this time Microsoft & Google have each other and don't have to worry about a 3rd rate company to keep the FTC happy.

Palm and Apple can fight for the bottom fish in the phone market.

In the computer Market Apple is screwed in 2 years when they don't have the legacy iPhone money to inflate their earnings numbers.

Why do you think they changed the way they report earnings? It doesn't take Einstein to figure it out.

I thought you got banned?