Comments

• Reply 41 of 103
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    People still use SideKick?!
  • Reply 42 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I thought you got banned?

You wished I got banned. It's not the same thing. This is the real world.

Get into your Steve Jobs jammies and go to bed it's getting late.
  • Reply 43 of 103
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

Inflammatory comment removed.

Let's keep things civil people
  • Reply 44 of 103
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Do you think Danger used to use another solution for their servers, Linux based perhaps?

I wonder if Microsoft in their fanaticism f#%@ed up by moving to a Microsoft solution.

I like MobileMe 20GB of storage and 200GB of traffic, $8 a month seems reasonable.

You forgot Nokia, T-Mobile is soon to get the N900 maybe you should get one and become a NonNokiaFan over on their forums.

Maybe you will be happier, you seem pretty upset most of the time.

Quote:

You guys should know it more than anyone. Paying $99 a year for crap for 5 years of crap and misguided launches.

Way to Kick it to Microsoft. Mobile Vista has been your savior along with stability and features that you pay for.

Microsoft is not Dead, as much as you wish.

Google 2010 is the future for phones.

Apple is going to survive on 3rd world countries with Free phones in 2011 and then ask Microsoft & Google for another Loan to pull them out of the fire.

Except this time Microsoft & Google have each other and don't have to worry about a 3rd rate company to keep the FTC happy.

Palm and Apple can fight for the bottom fish in the phone market.

In the computer Market Apple is screwed in 2 years when they don't have the legacy iPhone money to inflate their earnings numbers.

Why do you think they changed the way they report earnings? It doesn't take Einstein to figure it out.

• Reply 45 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Ina Fried is a guy, or used to be one.

Other than insight into your psyche, your post contributed what, exactly, to the conversation?

Quote:

What ever happened to redundancy?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

What ever happened to redundancy?

Plus one!
  • Reply 46 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Do you think Danger used to use another solution for their servers, Linux based perhaps?

I wonder if Microsoft in their fanaticism f#%@ed up by moving to a Microsoft solution.

I like MobileMe 20GB of storage and 200GB of traffic, $8 a month seems reasonable.

You forgot Nokia, T-Mobile is soon to get the N900 maybe you should get one and become a NonNokiaFan over on their forums.

Maybe you will be happier, you seem pretty upset most of the time.

I heard blah, blah I'm getting ripped of by Apple &...

Nokia room. I don't frequent or even to my memory have never been in a Nokia forum.

Maybe another person an Apple Fan is supposed to hate.

Android in the mobile Market for the win.

MS in the rest of the world.

My perfect world. Just a few more months before my contract is up.

For those wishing to donate for my contract buyout donate to Google Voice.

Wait... I forgot it's Free and still banned.
  • Reply 47 of 103
    Anywho, what exactly is a sidekick? I keep hearing about this thing.
  • Reply 48 of 103
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    I'm not joking when I say I don't know anyone who has a Sidekick and I don't think I've ever seen one whipped out (and I'm on the NYC subway every day). I think a tree just fell in the forest... maybe, wouldn't know.
  • Reply 49 of 103
    Maybe Apple should have sold them a Time Capsule. :P

Now that the snark is out of the way, I would *guess* that Danger was not making backups per se, but was using data replication to an offsite SAN. This is great for covering hardware failures at the primary site, where the secondary site can take over almost immediately and with little data loss. The cost, delay, and complexity of making regular tape backups has encouraged many companies to reply on the replicated copy to be the "backup".

Unfortunately, this setup behaves like a giant RAID device so that clobbering your primary copy of the data will be promptly and thoroughly replicated to the secondary copy.

Likely, the IT techs doing the upgrade typed "format C:" instead of "format D:" and whoops, there went the data.

The same thing happened in 2007 to the State of Alaska, when a huge database got accidentally wiped out and the backups were no good (or were also wiped out when they tried to restore). Fortunately the recovery was just a matter of data entry, but I doubt that MS/Danger had printouts of everybody's data.
  • Reply 50 of 103
    http://www.itwire.com/content/view/28388/53/

Quote:

A bug has been reported in Apple's new Snow Leopard version of OS X that can result in the loss of an entire user account's data. The glitch seems to be triggered by using a Guest account and then trying to log back into a regular account.

Featured Whitepaper

5 Best Practices for Smartphone Support According to multiple topics on the Apple Support discussion boards, the problem can occur when a user logs into their Mac's Guest account -- whether by accident or on purpose -- and then tries to log back into their regular account.

it just work!
  • Reply 51 of 103
    "Apple is going to survive on 3rd world countries with Free phones in 2011 and then ask Microsoft & Google for another Loan to pull them out of the fire."

What a sack of ordure you are, NonVendorFan. The "loan" to which you undoubtedly allude was actually a payoff from Billy Boy Gates and his criminal enterprise to Apple Computer (then) for stealing (YES, STEALING!) QuickTime code in 1994. No loan, sir or madam. Rather, a bribe to keep MSFT out of court and their CEO out of jail!

Personally, I wish Apple had pursued the matter and put the whole lot behind bars. So much for short-sightedness.
  • Reply 52 of 103
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Actually it's a Steve Jobs nightie.
  • Reply 53 of 103
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Why was the entire focus of this article on how Apple's method is better than Danger's?

In this case the writer just expanded on widely held views of cloud computing. No mater how you look at it, cloud computing is a step backwards. Mentioning the security behind keep control of your data is simple reinforced by providing examples.

Apples way isn't a clear winner either but obviously it is better than what we have seen with MicroSoft. In any event "Danger MicroSoft" is a joke that will go on for a very long time.

Dave
  • Reply 54 of 103
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Actually it's a Steve Jobs nightie.

or not. Time to cough up the details.

Dave
  • Reply 55 of 103
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Leave it to NVF to show up and apologize for Microsoft's misadventures in user's data.

BTW, GAAP determines how earnings are reported. Apple has been reporting both sets of numbers all along, so even investors of your stature won't be confused.
  • Reply 56 of 103
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:

You guys should know it more than anyone. Paying $99 a year for crap for 5 years of crap and misguided launches.

Way to Kick it to Microsoft. Mobile Vista has been your savior along with stability and features that you pay for.

Microsoft is not Dead, as much as you wish.

Google 2010 is the future for phones.

Apple is going to survive on 3rd world countries with Free phones in 2011 and then ask Microsoft & Google for another Loan to pull them out of the fire.

Except this time Microsoft & Google have each other and don't have to worry about a 3rd rate company to keep the FTC happy.

Palm and Apple can fight for the bottom fish in the phone market.

In the computer Market Apple is screwed in 2 years when they don't have the legacy iPhone money to inflate their earnings numbers.

Why do you think they changed the way they report earnings? It doesn't take Einstein to figure it out.

It would be nice to bookmark this post and revisit it one year from now, then another year later. Too bad there is no way to ask the author to put his money where his mouth is. I hate gambling but I would readily bet $10,000 that Apple and iPhone will be just fine in 2011.
  • Reply 57 of 103
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    In the days before the Internet vendors locked you in to their file formats. In the Internet age they lock you in to their servers. Same old game different face.
  • Reply 58 of 103
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

or not. Time to cough up the details.

Dave

I never said I was a girl.
  • Reply 59 of 103
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I think you'll find that losing everyone's data is simply a 'rounding error'...
  • Reply 60 of 103
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

Microsoft & Google have each other

Have each other... hahaha!

More like Google will have made Microsoft its bitch.