Apple ready and waiting with redesigned iMac line

Comments

• Reply 441 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Funny you should say that. Yesterday I was in an Apple Store and saw a woman trying to press the icons with her fingers on a MacBook Pro screen.

Nice one... but honestly. Notebooks with touch screen, sure why not. You carry it round, usually it sits on your lap or somewhere fairly close to you and you don't work on it all day long. On the other hand imagine having a 24" iMac sitting in front of you on a desk with the keyboard and some desk space in between and now try to stretch your arms out and work in this position with a touch screen, flipping and resizing images, browsing the web etc... how long do you think most people will last, 10 - 15 minutes before you'll loose all feeling in your arms and pass out? No thanks but a desktop computer with a touchscreen is just a gimmick and not meant for serious work. I'll pass...

And on a different note... is Apple going to finally introduce the iMacs tomorrow or do we have to stay in the dark for another couple weeks before uncle Steve pushes the big red GO button?
  • Reply 442 of 486
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

When you figure they put a 'hot' G5 in there, and they went to Intel for PPWatt, I'm amazed we can't have a desktop i7 in there when we had a desktop G5 in there?

Boy them G5 iMacs were hot! You're right. You could have a desktop i7 in the iMac. Oh wait, the iMac is now much thinner and quieter. Well, that's Apple's priorities, I guess.

Apple should go to liquid cooling. Just for the Lulz.
  • Reply 443 of 486
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matejay View Post

Nice one... but honestly. Notebooks with touch screen, sure why not. You carry it round, usually it sits on your lap or somewhere fairly close to you and you don't work on it all day long. On the other hand imagine having a 24" iMac sitting in front of you on a desk with the keyboard and some desk space in between and now try to stretch your arms out and work in this position with a touch screen, flipping and resizing images, browsing the web etc... how long do you think most people will last, 10 - 15 minutes before you'll loose all feeling in your arms and pass out? No thanks but a desktop computer with a touchscreen is just a gimmick and not meant for serious work. I'll pass...

And on a different note... is Apple going to finally introduce the iMacs tomorrow or do we have to stay in the dark for another couple weeks before uncle Steve pushes the big red GO button?

They just need a notebook that doubles as a tablet and vice versa and all good to go with the touchscreen. I want a touchscreen if just reading like reading a magazine/book, writing notes eg. ideas or if I was a student, and drawing/ retouching art stuff. But while doing that I want the keyboard to fold/ slide away. Then of course the tablet would have touch gaming features... that's a nifty bonus.

Why the hell a normal PC screen should have touch enabled like the Dell and Gateways etc. is well beyond me.
  • Reply 444 of 486
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

But the choice is between bad and worse.

What do you mean? Is Windows 7 that bad?
  • Reply 445 of 486
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Apple should make a lickable iMac screen.

Snozzberries taste like snozzberries....

• Reply 446 of 486
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

They are either coming next week or skipping a week after next and coming the week after earnings. Apple doesn't release major new hardware during their earnings week.

Is that a rule written in stone?
  • Reply 447 of 486
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Actually, not its pretty decent. Redmond's copy machine must have been upgraded. What you need to understand is that sometimes on this platform someone can become do devoted that they lose all objectivity and ability to see anything of value beyond what Apple is currently doing.
  • Reply 448 of 486
    Quote:

Mossberg says its "the best version of Windows to date." Although he said exactly the same thing about Vista two years ago. It's certainly an improvement over Vista and XP, I'll grant that, but until they get rid of the registry and it's DOS underpinnings, it's still a pig with lipstick on it.

If I was forced, at gunpoint, to own a Windows system, I'd probably have one that ran 7 as it's OS (f I could only figure out which of the six variants to buy ).

MS's only hope is to pull an OS9-OSX break and completely rewrite the thing from the ground up but the chances of that happening when so many corporate clients are locked into their antiquated technology is smaller than zero.
  • Reply 449 of 486
    Quote:

What you need to understand is that sometimes on this platform someone can become do devoted that they lose all objectivity and ability to see anything of value beyond what Apple is currently doing.

*Nods.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 450 of 486
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

*Nods.

If I knew who you were quoting... I might know why you are ... nodding.

Just sayin'
  • Reply 451 of 486
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveyJJ View Post

Mossberg says its "the best version of Windows to date." Although he said exactly the same thing about Vista two years ago. It's certainly an improvement over Vista and XP, I'll grant that, but until they get rid of the registry and it's DOS underpinnings, it's still a pig with lipstick on it.

If I was forced, at gunpoint, to own a Windows system, I'd probably have one that ran 7 as it's OS (f I could only figure out which of the six variants to buy ).

MS's only hope is to pull an OS9-OSX break and completely rewrite the thing from the ground up but the chances of that happening when so many corporate clients are locked into their antiquated technology is smaller than zero.

I still don't understand why Redmond never invested in another OS offering that ditched things like the Registry and DOS. It's like they never learned anything from Apple's do-it-all-at-once approach that nearly killed the company.
  • Reply 452 of 486
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

I was talking about the manufacturers of PCs. The subject was the lack of choice for Macs, vs the broad choice for PCs.

You've got cheaply made PCs, and even more cheaply made PCs. To me, that's not much of a choice.
  • Reply 453 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I was talking about the manufacturers of PCs. The subject was the lack of choice for Macs, vs the broad choice for PCs.

You've got cheaply made PCs, and even more cheaply made PCs. To me, that's not much of a choice.

There are plenty of PCs that aren't cheaply made, you know. Apple does not have a monopoly on quality. In fact Apple's focus isn't on quality at all, but on industrial design and customer service, which are both important, too.
  • Reply 454 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

There are plenty of PCs that aren't cheaply made, you know. Apple does not have a monopoly on quality. In fact Apple's focus isn't on quality at all, but on industrial design and customer service, which are both important, too.

Quality covers everything. Service is an important aspect of quality. Just read the surveys, and you can see how Apple stands in the rankings.
  • Reply 455 of 486
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Well....

what are they waiting for!?
  • Reply 456 of 486
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krassy View Post

Well....

...maybe to be as close as possible to the Windows 7 release.
  • Reply 457 of 486
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krassy View Post

Well....

Yeah, I can't believe they've let another Tuesday pass. If they see the need to build up weeks of inventory prior to the launch, they must have really high hopes for the new iMac.
  • Reply 458 of 486
    Guys, these ARE just rumors.

Apple doesn't have to live up to a rumored schedule.
  • Reply 459 of 486
    Quote:

Mehhhhhhh.

As opposed to expensive Macs with underperforming laptop components? Or even more expensive Macs with laptop components?

Mehhhhhhhhhhhh.

Melgross complaining that the PC market doesn't offer choice? Well, on my Apple Mac planet...we have...a Mac Mini biscuit tin. A laptop in a biscuit tin. £500. No k/b or mouse or Monitor. Or a...a laptop on a stick! £995 to start with. For even more more than a laptop! Or...laptops. But these really are laptops. Or a thinner laptop called an 'air'. Ok. All expensive...*peruses. Ok. What about an Apple 'PC' that does anything remotely similar to the PC market? oh? The Pro? Ah. That will cost you £1800 for the entry model Sir. WHAT? Yes. £1000 more than the cheapest PC quadcore. Are you insane? Nope. Are you saying we really don't have a 'cheap' quadcore for less than £1800?

Yes. We only do expensive.

Oh.

That's your choice Sir.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 460 of 486
    Quote:

Guys, these ARE just rumors.

What, like Apple offering choice?

Lemon Bon Bon.