Microsoft's Danger SideKick data loss casts dark on cloud computing

Comments

• Reply 81 of 103
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

What did MS do, overwrite the drives with zeros and ones seven times?

I doubt it, the message is your data isn't worth recovering.

DANGER, Microsoft working.

anything in a datacenter is at least RAID1 and a lot of data is on RAID5. very hard to recover from a RAID5 volume
  • Reply 82 of 103
    rco3rco3 Posts: 76member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NonVendorFan View Post

I heard blah, blah I'm getting ripped of by Apple &...

Nokia room. I don't frequent or even to my memory have never been in a Nokia forum.

Maybe another person an Apple Fan is supposed to hate.

Android in the mobile Market for the win.

MS in the rest of the world.

My perfect world. Just a few more months before my contract is up.

For those wishing to donate for my contract buyout donate to Google Voice.

Wait... I forgot it's Free and still banned.

Man, I'm so glad you brought in your breath of fresh air! It was getting so STALE in here, with all these Apple-loving nutjobs. Who the hell do they think they are, anyway? Why the hell is THIS forum so full of people who think Apple is so special?

Well, you don't let 'em get all complacent, NonVendorFan. You disturb them out of their blissful smuggitude. And keep it up, man. You rile 'em up 'till they boot you - that's how you'll know you've won. Without you, all of these relentless Apple Fanbois would be free to enjoy themselves without harassment. You, sir, are truly a benefit to us all. Thank you. I'd contribute to your NonVendorFund, but I'm afraid I wasted all my money buying Apple gear and can't even feed my starving children. If only I'd listened to you earlier!

I propose that we officially rename this site: it's no longer AppleInsider, it's NonVendorFanInsider. Oh, and NonVendorFan wins the Internets. Hands down.
  • Reply 83 of 103
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Is this article actually right about the Apple MobileMe things and how your data would be ok as you have it stored locally?

I would have thought as it all Syncs though MobileMe, a loss of data on the MobileMe servers would mean as soon as your devices Sync with it again it would recognize the removal of data as a newer change and then remove it from your local copy. I've certainly had situations similar to this happen to me in the past when my Mac's lost all my contacts and then removed them from my iPhone and iPOD's the next time they synced.

Has to be said though anyone who completely relies on Cloud based services should be prepared to loose all the data they have on them.

which is why there is no excuse for not having backed up all your important data, period. external drives are so cheap now. if you use time capsule, the last previous synch backup file of your iPhone and everything else will be there to reload/total restore. if you are just using some other program to back up selected files, surely one of them is your A Book.

also, Apple takes MM off line sometimes when performing major changes. last time was a while back.
  • Reply 84 of 103
    people, just ignore you-know-who. obviously just a sad nut case who craves attention and will post anything to get it.
  • Reply 85 of 103
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    This is the type of story that can give system admins a panic attack!

And yes, I just went and checked on our D2D2T backups. Both the disk based and tape based backups were intact. Whew. Guess I can continue getting a good night's sleep.

My take? One backup is never enough.
  • Reply 86 of 103
    Seems you have your own losing Data Problem to worry about.

Kind of ironic since it gave the Apple Fan Boys some room to tell MS Fans how bad MS Sucks.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=801736

Edit: AppleInsider, it's seems irresponsible not to have already posted this story on your own site when it can cause a lot of havoc for Apple Users.
  • Reply 87 of 103
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

Man, I'm so glad you brought in your breath of fresh air! It was getting so STALE in here, with all these Apple-loving nutjobs. Who the hell do they think they are, anyway? Why the hell is THIS forum so full of people who think Apple is so special?

Well, you don't let 'em get all complacent, NonVendorFan. You disturb them out of their blissful smuggitude. And keep it up, man. You rile 'em up 'till they boot you - that's how you'll know you've won. Without you, all of these relentless Apple Fanbois would be free to enjoy themselves without harassment. You, sir, are truly a benefit to us all. Thank you. I'd contribute to your NonVendorFund, but I'm afraid I wasted all my money buying Apple gear and can't even feed my starving children. If only I'd listened to you earlier!

I propose that we officially rename this site: it's no longer AppleInsider, it's NonVendorFanInsider. Oh, and NonVendorFan wins the Internets. Hands down.

he left for the nokia n800 site

sorry

hes the

nonnokiafandn800dude
  • Reply 88 of 103
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I thought you got banned?

he did

he just never signed off the site since that day
  • Reply 89 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the cool gut View Post

There has to be more to this story. What cloud service doesn't do at least nightly backups?

I doubt this is going to slow down cloud computing. Data loss can happen anywhere, hardware failure can happen anywhere. Regardless of what platform you use, you need a backup plan for your data and services and have proceedures in place for the worst case scenario.

Sure this can happen to anyone. But, as the article suggest, Microsoft cut corners to save some money and hid it from their clients. It's not outages that cloud users need to worry about. It's the ethics of the companies operating the cloud.

For this reason, I don't believe cloud computing will ever become viable unless companies operate their own cloud in house.
  • Reply 90 of 103
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beauty of Bath View Post

What did MS do, overwrite the drives with zeros and ones seven times?

It was a SAN (storage area network) migration or upgrade or consolidation project. I've never seen this before where the SAN vendor (EMC, in our case) didn't make a manager or director sign off on an "All your data could be lost! You must have tested, recoverable backups!" statement. Even for bin file reconfigurations, which are pretty routine for them (but are never treated cavalierly or routinely).

"All your cloud are belong to us!" -- Microsoft

John (who knows a thing or two about the subject )
  • Reply 91 of 103
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

...and then ask Microsoft & Google for another Loan to pull them out of the fire.

Oh come on now... Microsoft would ALWAYS be ready with a bucket of cash if you're prediction actually came true... Who else would they have to copy if Apple closed shop?
  • Reply 92 of 103
    Quote:

You guys should know it more than anyone. Paying $99 a year for crap for 5 years of crap and misguided launches.

Way to Kick it to Microsoft. Mobile Vista has been your savior along with stability and features that you pay for.

Microsoft is not Dead, as much as you wish.

Google 2010 is the future for phones.

Apple is going to survive on 3rd world countries with Free phones in 2011 and then ask Microsoft & Google for another Loan to pull them out of the fire.

Except this time Microsoft & Google have each other and don't have to worry about a 3rd rate company to keep the FTC happy.

Palm and Apple can fight for the bottom fish in the phone market.

In the computer Market Apple is screwed in 2 years when they don't have the legacy iPhone money to inflate their earnings numbers.

Why do you think they changed the way they report earnings? It doesn't take Einstein to figure it out.

You forgot your sarcasm tags...
  • Reply 93 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

It was a SAN (storage area network) migration or upgrade or consolidation project. I've never seen this before where the SAN vendor (EMC, in our case) didn't make a manager or director sign off on an "All your data could be lost! You must have tested, recoverable backups!" statement. Even for bin file reconfigurations, which are pretty routine for them (but are never treated cavalierly or routinely).

"All your cloud are belong to us!" -- Microsoft

John (who knows a thing or two about the subject )

we moved to a new DMX last year and it took us 6 months and had a team headed by a PM assigned to us. even then i remember we ran into a problem where it took them a few hours to solve it. too bad it happened at 3am. except for that since we don't boot from the SAN it went pretty smooth. worst case would be to rebuild a server from scratch and reconnect to the data on the SAN. not a big deal
  • Reply 94 of 103
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Steps to heal the anguish of Sidekick users:

1. Build bonfire.

2. Toss Sidekick device into bonfire.

3. Dance around bonfire singing Monty Python's "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" - link to lyrics:

http://www.zonelyrics.net/lyrics/m/M...e-Of-Life.html
  • Reply 95 of 103
    latest info is MS did have a back up of some kind, but it died too. all the fault of old pre-MS Danger tech of course.

and TMobile is letting sidekickers cancel their contracts without penalty.

what do ya think? about half will buy an iPhone and half get a new Android. zero will get a Win Mo. we're talking about a million switchers in about one week.
  • Reply 96 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Oh dear, see, that's why I make my own personal backups.

Don't trust your vendor, if financial account data was lost that's another story, but still, lost data can be inconvenient at best. And that's any vendor- not just MS or Apple.

I totally agree. I mean seriously, who owns the sidekicks? Mostly teenagers, i highly doubt that they had super important data on the phones that they cant live without. Maybe a birthday party pic or two but come on. Now if this had been on the blackberry or iphone platform then yeah i can see the cause for people to get crazy. I will stick to my mobile me which has worked awesome! and if indeed that fails then my phone will be manually synced to my macbook anyways. simple as that!
  • Reply 97 of 103
    Quote:

Seems you have your own losing Data Problem to worry about.

Kind of ironic since it gave the Apple Fan Boys some room to tell MS Fans how bad MS Sucks.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=801736

Edit: AppleInsider, it's seems irresponsible not to have already posted this story on your own site when it can cause a lot of havoc for Apple Users.

Yeah your right, a few hundred (over estimating) have a problem with guest account issues with SL compared TEN of THOUSANDS people losing ALL their data because of MS.

What was I thinking about Apple, Yes I should follow you and run to MS for data storage

NOT!!

P.S. AI posted the article, not just to the speed that you want.
  • Reply 98 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RCO3 View Post

I think we should name you NonVendorFan wannabe

Seriously, if you do not like Apple products, then do not comment, there are other forums, you can visit for MS etc.. Always makes me laugh, when people get irritated at a site because majority of people have a common interest.

Simple solution, do not visit this site, if it causes you stress and makes you say BS!
  • Reply 99 of 103
    microsoft is saying they had backups, but can't access them for some reason

i bet some idiot ran them to the free space on the server instead of tape. one time i was asked to backup a mysql database and you have to buy a separate client and no one wanted to spend the money since it wasn't an important database. so one of the devs wrote a script to dump a copy to a share that i backed up. another time a consultant decided to backup all the vital financial info to one of the local disks and i had to fight to get it backed up to tape
  • Reply 100 of 103
    Folks, I don't work in IT, and even *I* could tell them that such a service needs continuous full-backups in multiple physical locations, ideally with each location in different cities or even continents.

For such a rich company to take such a ridiculous shortcut is beyond any possible excuse. MS deserves every bit of blowback they get from this.