History suggests Windows 7 launch could boost Mac sales

Comments

• Reply 61 of 229
    big kcbig kc Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmondo View Post

what a stupid hypothesis is this article. But I know, these analists have to do something to show they've done their job.

"analists" ... roar!
  • Reply 62 of 229
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Oh right- I forgot, 3 plus years of "I'm a Mac, Youre a PC" ads had nothing to do with market share.

Boot camp has nothing to do with market share.

You can never attack the meat of an argument. Apple is after profit, increasing market share is but one way to increase profit. Of course Apple likes gains in market share, but it is not their ultimate objective, nor will they sacrifice profit to acquire it. Apple would rather sell one computer for $2000 than 2 computers for $1000 each (assuming the $2000 one had a greater markup).
  • Reply 63 of 229
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

You can never attack the meat of an argument. Apple is after profit, increasing market share is but one way to increase profit. Of course Apple likes gains in market share, but it is not their ultimate objective, nor will they sacrifice profit to acquire it.

And that's why they continually badger and openly compete with Microsoft?

PUH_LEEZE!

Distortion field alert!
  • Reply 64 of 229
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I disagree with the article stating that Apple could double it's marketshare by 2014. Apple looks to double its unit sales every 4 years, but marketshare won't come unless Apple starts to focus on cheaper Macs which will also open themselves up for more agressive sales in other countries.

With 92% saturation in the US for machines over $1000 and already taking the lion's share of 33 cents on every dollar spent in the US on PCs, I think Apple will have to make a move to sell cheaper Macs or risk a drop in growth.

PS: Of course there is the one poster who still claims that marketshare is the most metric and is derailing the entire thread with their assinine postings despite undeniable proof that the Ads are working as unit sales growth keep increasing well beyond the rest the market.
  • Reply 65 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

So Apple bought their own chip making company BUT chooses to use Intel chips....why again? To appeal to more mainstream computer buying public to gain market share and to be able to use "Dual Boot" with Windows as a selling point!

PA Semi have absolutely nothing to do with Apple's Desktop/Notebook market. The chips they design are intended for mobile devices like the iPhone, iPod Touch & the possible and rumored Apple Tablet. Which sort of shoots your entire argument down in flames, the premise being entirely flawed.
  • Reply 66 of 229
    Lies, damned lies, and statistics!
  • Reply 67 of 229
    Quote:

Hello? Yes? What are you trying to say? I don't read non- descriptive internet links unless you state why I should. If it's for one example of a surveillance app - what is your point?

I didn't think you could read at all (you certainly haven't shown any evidence of that ability to date), but others here can.
  • Reply 68 of 229
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    This will really play-out with the newer lower-priced iMacs, Macbooks, and Mac Mini coming soon.

Many may opt to dual-boot with Windows 7. Hopefully Bootcamp can handle Windows 7. Next time I'm at the MS store I'll get one for my current Macbook.
  • Reply 69 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I didn't think you could read at all (you certainly haven't shown any evidence of that ability to date), but others here can.

Let's be fair, he can read, he just doesn't comphrehend what he reads.

What is ironic about his post is that he is notorious for posting a link with no additional write up as to why anyone should check

out the link, but will then state that he posted *proof* at some previous date as to why Apple sucks so much.
  • Reply 70 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Many may opt to dual-boot with Windows 7. Hopefully Bootcamp can handle Windows 7.

It handles it just fine. Same drivers as Vista since it's essentially the same kernel. Anecdotally speaking, I know several Mac switchers would bought the

Mac because they knew they had the option to always go back to Windows if they had to, even though very few ever installed Windows on their Mac and even few ever used Windows once getting a taste of OS X.
  • Reply 71 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

So Apple bought their own chip making company BUT chooses to use Intel chips....why again? To appeal to more mainstream computer buying public to gain market share and to be able to use "Dual Boot" with Windows as a selling point! I don't have the numbers but wonder what the sales figure are for Apple computer before Intel chips and then after Intel chips were introduced.

If Apple wanted to remain "Premium" and capture "mindshare" they would have developed their own chips and used everything in house but they went after a braoder more mainstream market!

And how exactly does Apple dictae the market? They don't. They follow buying trends like everyonne else does. Which market are they dicating?? They do dictate in music players with the iPod but certainly not in the desktop space. They are selling a ton more laptops now days but so is everyome else..... that is the trend!

Please provide figures as to what market they are dictating to the rest of the computing world by dominating it!

sorry, they went after Intel coz intel can provide economy of scale and thus provide even higher margins in the premium products. Since most Intel chips goes to windows side anyway, the cost of research and development is already factored in. If Apple were to produce chips themselves, they will have to do it for a far smaller marketshare, effectively increasing the cost-of-R&D and manufacture (and thus lower profits if the retail price is kept constant). Same goes for iPods where even being a major player, Apple still tends to buy a lot of stuff from outside, take for example memory. May be they will shift some of these things to in-house, but I doubt they will change the current model, except for few things.

You know, I like Mac OS X and I do not commend Apple's high price, nor their heavy handedness in the current product line, and hence I hackintosh. But still, I cannot help but say good things about the way Apple does business. Just look the stock price in the last 6 months. In a way they rebounded faster than anyone else. For microsoft, it just is a downfall in almost everything. We have a guy here in our team who wants to grab everything, wants to own everything, and is very greedy. Actually he does nothing best. MS is in similar boat, trying to do too many things and accomplish nothing properly.

So give the credit where it is due! Apple does have some (actually many) good values that the whole industry seeks to emulate. Isn't that right? So where is the problem if a company is praised for what it does.
  • Reply 72 of 229
    Quote:

And that's why they continually badger and openly compete with Microsoft?

PUH_LEEZE!

Distortion field alert!

Yes, lower yours please.

Q: Why doesn't Apple have a $300 netbook?

A: Netbooks are extremely low margin and would also cannibalize sales of higher margin mac portables.

Q: Why doesn't Apple offer a mid range desktop?

A: The margins are thin and shrinking, and a mid range desktop would cannibalize the sales of higher margin iMacs, and Mac pros.

Q: Wouldn't offering those two products vastly increase Apples market share?

A: Probably yes, but Apples profits might not increase and could even go down.

Q: Why does Apple target Windows users?

A: Apples growth potential lies in Windows switchers obviously, but Apple doesn't want you to just switch to a mac, they want you to switch to a mac that they make can money on.

If you want to look at market share, look at market share on things like the over $1000 and other premium segments. That is what Apple is after, market share worth having. Market share worth having (by Apples standards) is market share that generates significant profits.
  • Reply 73 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Basically, this analyst was recommending his investors, that based on trending historical data, should not worry about MS's launch of Windows 7, and to continue buying Apple stock. That's all.

To calm the shareholders, would've been much cleverer explaining first of all why people buy mac? mostly not (only) because of the OS. There are a lot of aspects: marketing, distribution, design, easy to use interface with many useful softwares added, trend, and I guess even the Genious Bar can help in it.

W7 could be a very good OS, so what? since we learnt that even Vista runs faster on mac hardware than on pc.

And as we also know how many of us buy windows to our mac...

But I don't think it can boost mac sales. What WILL do it, a refresh of product line with better value/price rate, and the holiday season with less crisis-feeling.

When analyst says: don't panic, it won't effect mac, will rather be good for it. - This is so ridiculous. And just continue the panic effect, indirectly. Exactly because he didn't explain it logically. Saying that I believe it won't effect, doesn't calm anyone, just confuse... IMO.
  • Reply 74 of 229
    Shouldn't Apple be announcing a media event any day now? If the rumors about the upcoming iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook refresh are correct, that is. AI, you need to get on this!
  • Reply 75 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Shouldn't Apple be announcing a media event any day now? If the rumors about the upcoming iMac, Mac Mini, MacBook refresh are correct, that is. AI, you need to get on this!

Maybe there wont be an event, Apple doesn't have an event for every product refresh, but given the rumored changes, it seems like this may not be a mere refresh. I'd like more information too, but AI can only report on the information they have, which appears to be nothing
  • Reply 76 of 229
    Most Windows users are still running XP and Microsoft's official upgrade path from XP to 7 is "buy a new computer"... I was going to say "you do the math," but no math is required, is it?
  • Reply 77 of 229
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Let's be fair, he can read, he just doesn't comphrehend what he reads.

What is ironic about his post is that he is notorious for posting a link with no additional write up as to why anyone should check

out the link, but will then state that he posted *proof* at some previous date as to why Apple sucks so much.

Apple sucks? I have never ever said that anywhere. Prove that comment. I have said however AT&T sucks and for the last 2 years and you've constantly defended them only to wind up as the most embarassed and refuted poster in the history of AI.
  • Reply 78 of 229
    i see no cooralation between the release of a new windows operating system and an increase in mac sales from that chart and from my experiences. judging by the graph it just seems that apple has steadily been growing and mac sales have been steadily increasing (as they should over a period of time) and any comparison between a new windows os is a mere coincidence.

i have many friends who own macbooks and you want to know what the most common answer is when i ask them why they bought one? "Because its (so) cool." The AVERAGE consumer could really care less when it comes to OS, specs, etc... so I doubt win7 release will have any effect, positive OR negative, on mac sales. I think the most that will happen is XP users running old hardware will upgrade and may consider Mac vs. PC, though again, for the average consumer I don't see the release of Win7 being that spark to upgrade.
  • Reply 79 of 229
    Quote:

only to wind up as the most embarassed and refuted poster in the history of AI.

I think you're confusing him with yourself. Borderline personality disorder? That would explain a lot.
  • Reply 80 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by red_skittles View Post

i see no cooralation between the release of a new windows operating system and an increase in mac sales from that chart and from my experiences. judging by the graph it just seems that apple has steadily been growing and mac sales have been steadily increasing (as they should over a period of time) and any comparison between a new windows os is a mere coincidence.

If you take the AI spin off the article, it basically says just that. Windows introductions don't seem to effect mac sales either positively or negatively.