Simple CAD for iPhone.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Here's an idea for an iPhone app. I'm passing it along in hopes that a developer will read this and get busy making it. I could sure use it and know I'm not the only one.

I'm a Project Manager, as such I often go to job sites to take measurements for whatever we need to build. This usual entails making a sketch, jotting down dimensions and such.

Imagine this: Holding on to a notepad, a pencil and a tape measure. Put the note pad down to take a measurment, put away the tape measure and picking up the note pad to note down the dimenssion, setting down the pad so as take another measurement... Hughh! Running out of room in the pad... Duhh!!! Hard to read due to too much info on one piece of paper. Arghhhh... you get the idea.

Now imagine this. This is how the app would work, it would be similar to AutoCAD. You touch the iPhone's screen and run you finger along it, you lift your finger and write down the desired length for the line, for example, 123.25". Boom, you have a 123 1/4" line. You get the idea.

iPhone in one hand, tape measure in the other, that is all you need. Moreover, you will end up with a correctly dimensional drawing that you can immediately e-mail back to the shop.

Don't forget to share the profits with me. This app will be a kiler app for the iPhone for many industries. Get busy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Is this an app that could be programed for the iPhone?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Is this an app that could be programed for the iPhone?

Yes it could.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Awesome!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    What would be the fastest way to leran how to develop apps for the iPhone?

Would learning Objective-C be what I need to first do?

If so, this a good book, Programming in Objective-C by Stephen Kochan?

What else would I need to learn?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    cadTouch lite, the first multitouch CAD software for iPhone.

The main idea behind cadTouch is to assist any technician in the work of drawing and calculating some geometry-related engineering tasks. This first release of cadTouch is aimed at surveyors, architects and structural engineers.

Currently available features:

- Precise polygon drawing with multitouch support

- Area and perimeter calculation

- Centroid calculation and display

- Second moment of area about all axes calculation

- Bending moment calculation considering the polygon as the cross-section of a beam

- Save your drawing and then send it via email to your office (imagine the time your will save sending your survey to your office as soon as you finish measuring)

Current work in progress (next free updates):

- Multiple polygon and holes support

- Curved edges

- Materials specification

- Axial load

- Reinforced concrete specific calculations (including prestressed concrete)

- Stress contour

- DXF import/export

GET IT TODAY FROM THE APP STORE:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...298053937&mt=8
  • Reply 6 of 15
    What I need is a DWG viewer for the iPhone. And I emphasize, NOT a drawing app, not a CAD tool, I am looking exactly for a DWG viewer for the iPhone. Is that possible on the iPhone ?????. I want to be able to look into Autocad DWG files.

I hope someone will be so kind to let me know.

Thanks !!

Xeikon
  • Reply 7 of 15
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Ever tried RenACoder.com?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Hello

If you need DWG viewer try DXF viewer called Drawvis, available at AppStore.

It doesn't do any drawing but display large DXF files fast and effectevely. There is also a free version.

Regards

Jacek
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I would be very happy if Google would make an iPhone version of SketchUp.

If the above app doesn't work, you might try Zeptopad. It allows you to draw, insert text, cut, paste, and add photos, etc. I used it to help a friend with a DIY project and we nver did any other drawings; just exported the Zeptopad image to photo, mailed it to my friend, printed, and worked with that. It was a small project, sure, but it worked.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

What would be the fastest way to leran how to develop apps for the iPhone?

Would learning Objective-C be what I need to first do?

If so, this a good book, Programming in Objective-C by Stephen Kochan?

What else would I need to learn?

If you're new to programming, this book will be of little help to you. Seek out the numerous free tutorials online (look for very basic information to start). You are in for a difficult slog. My sympathies.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    pb338687pb338687 Posts: 1member
    Hi all,

I have recently launched StePAD - (www.sitepad.co.uk) as a few people have noted above.

SitePAD allows the creation, management and integration of files from the iPhone/Touch/Pad.

The file formats we have available are pdf and dxf, the dxf file allowing you to upload/download/view your drawings from the device.

It' a first release so do bear this in mind, but would welcome any comments, suggestions, requirements through the contact us page on the site or on here.

The app does work on the iPAD but only in screen doubling mode - something we hope to improve over time.

It was made to allow sketching on the go, to access files from CAD packages on the go, and to avoid redrawing any sketches when back infront of the desktop.

Hope this helps, that you like it, and do get in touch,

Paul
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Hi there,

I'm in the Dutch real estate business and can really see the benefits off a good Iphone app for creating floor plans. After a couple off search entries I stumbled on the app draftEzy (look on YouTube for demo). First impression is a very good app that completely fill my needs and helps me to get the right square meters off the building.

Only down side, I can’t find a price or a website or anything else related to this app. Can anyone tell me more about this app? (Developer, price, where to buy, experience?) Another app that I found is fingercad, but this can be too difficult when you measure a floor in the field.

@pb338687, I also saw you’re app when I did my search. First impression was good. What I personally missed in your pictures is the distance, in meters or inches besides walls and doors. Do you have a YouTube movie about how it works?

Thanks in advance
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Hello peoples,

I just joined this forum as i wanted to reply to this post. I am a CAD Draughtsman by profession and i would LOVE an app that would enable me to do accurate building layouts and view existing dwg's/dxf's. BUT, i do not want to pay for the app untill i try it out so i would love a lite version, even a trial for a few days.

regards

Jai
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenismistry View Post

Hello peoples,

I just joined this forum as i wanted to reply to this post. I am a CAD Draughtsman by profession and i would LOVE an app that would enable me to do accurate building layouts and view existing dwg's/dxf's. BUT, i do not want to pay for the app untill i try it out so i would love a lite version, even a trial for a few days.

regards

Jai

I emailed the guys at site pad - [email protected] if I remember correctly and they gave me a free download in return for some time discussing the app with them. Worthwhile I'd say!

Apparently there's a version 2 in the pipeline too.....