Apple fights off hackers with new iPhone 3GS firmware

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's cat-and-mouse game with the iPhone hacking community continues, as the handset maker has reportedly updated new shipping versions of the iPhone 3GS to prevent tampering.

According to iClarified, Apple has updated the BootROM for the iPhone 3GS to iBoot-359.32. This software upgrade is reportedly not vulnerable to an exploit hackers previously used to crack open the hardware.

A member of the iPhone Dev Team who goes by the handle MuscleNerd noted this is the first time ever that Apple has done a BootROM update in the middle of a product line, without a new hardware model. The Dev Team is a group of hackers who release tools used to exploit the iPhone OS.

Previously, hackers had relied on an exploit known as "24kpwn," which allowed users to run unauthorized code on the iPhone OS. The latest BootROM, however, does not allow use of the exploit.

Apple's interest in preventing users from jailbreaking, or running unauthorized code, on their iPhone is likely centered around piracy. While jailbreaking does have other uses than piracy -- such as running applications not allowed on the App Store or unlocking the device for use on other carriers -- the procedure can also allow users to steal software from the App Store.

Apple and the jailbreaking community have gone back and forth for some time, as the handset maker looks to close avenues used by hackers.

The latest development comes just as the Dev Team released a new tool to jailbreak the latest iPhone firmware, PwnageTool 3.1.4 for Mac OS X. iPhone OS 3.1.2 was released last week, fixing a handful of issues, including one that caused the device to not wake from sleep mode.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 175
    These jail breakers are the root cause for all of our network problems. Just 3% of the users account for 40% of the data traffic on the 3G network (according to a recent AT&T finding). I wonder who these users are?....maybe the jail breakers?!?!?!?!

They install illegal Apps (slingbox, etc) and illegally rob the bandwidth from the rest of us. I can't check my email because the guy next to me is watching hours worth of TV shows.
  • Reply 2 of 175
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    This wouldn't be necessary if Apple ran an open platform and allowed people to install whatever they liked ON THEIR OWN HARDWARE.

Apple brought jailbreaking upon themselves, and long may it continue.
  • Reply 3 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

These jail breakers are the root cause for all of our network problems. Just 3% of the users account for 40% of the data traffic on the 3G network (according to a recent AT&T finding). I wonder who these users are?....maybe the jail breakers?!?!?!?!

They install illegal Apps (slingbox, etc) and illegally rob the bandwidth from the rest of us. I can't check my email because the guy next to me is watching hours worth of TV shows.

I'm sorry its early and I have a bit of a stomach cold but is this hyperbole or do you actually believe that load of nonsense?

I agree with kotatsu. Apple would have a much stronger leg to stand on anti-piracy wise if there were ways for me to run my own code on my own device. However, since I don't have any of my own code, I don't really care about jailbreaking one way or the other. I don't think this boot loader update is going to stop things in the long run.
  • Reply 4 of 175
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:

There is no way for AT&T to determine if an Iphone is jailbroken or not and whether the app using bandwidth was purchase or not. What AT&T is say which is the case even for computer and the internet, it is only a small % of the users who actually use most of the bandwidth. Their concerns are what happen if this trend changes and a larger % start using more bandwidth.

BTW the same was true 20 yrs again what only a small % use most of the phone bandwidth. Phone networks were only designed to handle 1/3 of all the possible calls if everyone tried making a call at once.
  • Reply 5 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quagga View Post

Apple would have a much stronger leg to stand on anti-piracy wise if there were ways for me to run my own code on my own device.

It's easy to install your own code, just install the provisioning profile on your phone (and up to 100 others). Your own apps don't need to abide by the App Store rules!
  • Reply 6 of 175
    trevctrevc Posts: 77member
    The only reason I have an iPhone (bought at an Apple store) is because of hacker tools that allowed me to do a Carrier Unlock.

I don't really care about jail-breaking as there's enough varied free software on the App Store, and I've bought several apps but stick mostly in that .99 cent range so they're benefiting. The Carrier is also benefiting as instead of the pay as you go plan, I've graduated to a monthly one with a texting plan, etc.

You'd think that Apple/Carriers in some ways benefits more than it doesn't from hacking?
  • Reply 7 of 175
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    The question now, is how long will it take hacker to find a new work around.....

Actually this is bigger issue here for apple then piracy, large corporation will not deploy the iPhone as corporate device if they feel that is can be easily hacked and non-authorized code loaded on the phone. Unless Apple can shut this down there is no way they will get this corporate accounts. It is more about security then the actual piracy since they is a small % of most of the users doing it.
  • Reply 8 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quagga View Post

Apple would have a much stronger leg to stand on anti-piracy wise if there were ways for me to run my own code on my own device. However, since I don't have any of my own code, I don't really care about jailbreaking one way or the other. I don't think this boot loader update is going to stop things in the long run.

Depends on what you're after. If you're willing to spend $99/year you can run whatever you want on your own device(s). But that's not a cheap solution and not a route most people are willing to go down.

I agree with you that it's ridiculous that people who tether (or jailbreak and use the devices for unapproved purposes) can destroy the network. Especially given that AT&T sells devices that tether.

The truth of the matter is that AT&T is a victim of the iPhone's success. It's actually _being used_.
  • Reply 9 of 175
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

This wouldn't be necessary if Apple ran an open platform and allowed people to install whatever they liked ON THEIR OWN HARDWARE.

How wold an open network prevent a subset of users from using too much bandwidth and affecting the quality of service for everyone else?

Warning - analogy to follow -

I suppose you think if some people want to get on the public highways and drive 150 miles an hour they should be allowed to - the roadways and the vehicles are certainly capable of supporting such a speed. Why should the government artificially restrict us all to 65 mph or so? Hmm, could it be that for EVERYONE on the road to travel safely that there must be some set of rules that we all abide by?

But in Germany you can drive as fast as you want on the autobahn- well no actually you cannot in all locations at all times - and it takes a long time and a lot of cash to even get a driver's license in Germany.

end analogy

Yeah I know that analogy is full of holes etc - but as I was reading that post it struck me that as painful as it might be to some users (those who want to go 150 mph) how much more painful would it be for everyone f there were no rules at all? (and you end up with major accidents and the resulting death and destruction).

Which is not to say that I am against Apple and or AT&T opening things more and making improvements etc - or that we should sit idly by and wait for them to provide something without being asked to do so. What I am thinking is more along the lines of - if they did not have to spend time fighting unauthorized use perhaps they could spend more time on getting the job done.
  • Reply 10 of 175
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:

You are so full of crap. No one is ILLEGALLY stealing bandwidth, they're using the bandwidth that they PAID FOR. To be stealing they would have to trick the network into not tacking their usage which can't be done from the phone. I also think AT&T is lying about the 3%/40% issue.

On the other hand AT&T as NOT properly designed their network so they could handle the traffic. To top it off AT&T ILLEGALLY steals money because everyone has to pay for 3G service even when you live in an area that does not have 3G service. Have you noticed that AT&T won't show you a 3G map anymore? Why, because they don't want you to see how few areas have 3G service. Verizon has a point with their latest commercial showing the AT&T 3G map.
  • Reply 11 of 175
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Its ALL about piracy. Thats why the jailbreakers do it. Don't kid yourselves that this is about some god given right to do whatever you want with the hardware or some higher purpose these hackers may promote, its all about theft and the 'who has the biggest virtual cock' for these guys.
  • Reply 12 of 175
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

This has got to win a nomination for stupidest post of the year.

The 3% using 40% you refer to has nothing at all to do with jail breaking. AT&T's statement refers to iPhone users in general. iPhone users use more data than any of their other customers. Why? Not because they jailbreak their phone but because APPLE BUILT A DEVICE THAT THEY ACTUALLY WANT TO USE!

As far as 'illegally robbing bandwidth from the rest of us"...how exactly are they doing this? You own some spectrum they are stealing? No. They, just as you, paid for data. They, just as you, are using their data. Them using their data more than you has nothing to do with jailbreaking. For the first few months I averaged about .5-1gigs a month. Now I am pushing 2-3 gigs and I am not jailbroken...I just use my iPhone more. Just because you can't find ways to use your iPhone does not mean those who can have jailbroken their iPhones.
  • Reply 13 of 175
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Thank you very much. I can't even put Safari on my lemonbox, the AppleTV.
  • Reply 14 of 175
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Its ALL about piracy. Thats why the jailbreakers do it. Don't kid yourselves that this is about some god given right to do whatever you want with the hardware or some higher purpose these hackers may promote, its all about theft and the 'who has the biggest virtual cock' for these guys.

Exactly. You purchased an iPhone, signed a contract with explicit conditions, and you broke the rules. You justify it because "I am so smart....I can jail beak my iPhone"....but you did not follow your end of the agreement. That's grounds for a lawsuit.
  • Reply 15 of 175
    Quote:

Bullshit.

It is about seeing what they can do with the device they own. You have no idea what the hacker mentality is about. I am sure some are doing it to allow piracy of software and they are dicks. They majority that work on it do so to see if they can. It is a challenge and so worth trying to them.
  • Reply 16 of 175
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Bullshit.

It is about seeing what they can do with the device they own. You have no idea what the hacker mentality is about. I am sure some are doing it to allow piracy of software and they are dicks. They majority that work on it do so to see if they can. It is a challenge and so worth trying to them.

Nope, its all about 'breaking systems'. 99% of hacking is for malicious ends, malware, piracy, spam, phishing. Its all about making money by ripping someone elses property / IP apart. Otherwise they would be creators not destroyers!
  • Reply 17 of 175
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

But in Germany you can drive as fast as you want on the autobahn- well no actually you cannot in all locations at all times - and it takes a long time and a lot of cash to even get a driver's license in Germany.

But it's all worth it for them because it was such a pleasure to drive on the autobahn.

Sorry for going off topic.
  • Reply 18 of 175
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Nope, its all about 'breaking systems'. 99% of hacking is for malicious ends, malware, piracy, spam, phishing. Its all about making money by ripping someone elses property / IP apart. Otherwise they would be creators not destroyers!

You forget that prior to Apple's iPhone SDK release the iPhone was jailbroken to allow apps that Apple simply didn't offer. Some of these were sold but moat were free and created by talented coders (read:creators). Even unlocking the iPhone to be used on another network still means that the phoe was paid for and the carrier is getting paid.
  • Reply 19 of 175
    Quote:

1) What are they destrying by jailbreaking?

2) How are they making money? Few, if any, of the jailbreak teams make any money from their work. Other can use their work maliciously. They are dicks.

3) What orifice did you pull that 99% from? Don't make up 'facts' to make you point. It makes you look foolish.

Have you ever disassembled anything to see how it works? Have you ever tried to customize something you own to try to see if you could improve it? Have you ever done something simply to see if you could?

Unfortunately, you seem to have some hollywood fantasy about what 'hacking' is all about.
  • Reply 20 of 175
    Quote:

Or you could not buy the device? Plenty of other phones out there for you to choose from that alow you to do what you want with them.

Except for one thing... they are shit! I'm afraid apples business model and the quality of it products go hand in hand.

In your world, you destroy the business model, and degrade the quality of product, self defeating, unless you like run of the mill products that is.