Apple endorses Wi-Fi Direct for networking without hotspots

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple and a consortium of other technology companies in the Wi-Fi Alliance have agreed to a new peer-to-peer wireless standard that aims to make it easier for electronics to communicate.

Wi-Fi Direct is expected to be approved for new products by mid-2010, and would allow devices like the iPhone to communicate with one another, or with other forms of hardware, to do tasks like print or share files.

"Wi-Fi Direct represents a leap forward for our industry," said Wi-Fi Alliance executive director Edgar Figueroa. "Wi-Fi users worldwide will benefit from a single-technology solution to transfer content and share applications quickly and easily among devices, even when a Wi-Fi access point isn't available. The impact is that Wi-Fi will become even more pervasive and useful for consumers and across the enterprise."

Previously code-named "Wi-Fi peer-to-peer," the new specification can be applied to any Wi-Fi device, meaning newly certified Wi-Fi Direct devices will have legacy support from previously existing devices. The new standard supports connections between two or multiple devices.

As it offers many of the same capabilities of the current Bluetooth standard, Wi-Fi Direct will likely compete with the existing wireless technology when devices begin to hit the market next year. Apple has embraced Bluetooth in many of its devices, and is likely to release a new wireless mouse and keyboard utilizing the standard in the near future.

Apple is a sponsor member of the Wi-Fi Alliance, joined by top-tier technology companies like Microsoft, Intel, Cisco and Sony. The non-profit industry association is responsible for the Wi-Fi trademark and technology. Devices that meet the alliance's specifications can use the Wi-Fi Certified logo on their products.

"With Wi-Fi technology already shipping in millions of consumer electronics devices and handsets every year, this is a terrific innovation for the industry," said Victoria Fodale, senior analyst and market intelligence manager at In-Stat. "Empowering devices to move content and share applications without having to join a network brings even more convenience and utility to Wi-Fi-enabled devices."

The new Wi-Fi Direct standard is intended for both consumer electronics and enterprise applications. It will include WPA2 security, and management features for enterprise environments. The new technology will use roughly the same power, provide the same data rates, and offer the same range as current Wi-Fi products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    So what is different with this from ad hoc mode (IBSS) that has been in WiFi since the beginning?

I could speculate but I'd rather know the truth thanks...
  • Reply 2 of 50
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    How about giving me a WiFI now for my iPhone that holds.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    I'm intrigued by OnOne's DSLR Remote, but it seems like the requirement for a server app running on a computer/laptop makes this system awkward/expensive for use in the field.

If the iPhone could connect directly via wi-fi to the camera (e.g., newer Canon DSLR) with its optional wi-fi accessory, that would seem to simplify things.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    sajsaj Posts: 19member
    This will be the new attraction specially for iPhone.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

How about giving me a WiFI now for my iPhone that holds.

I am kinda feeling sorry for you. It seems that nothing from Apple works for you.

Yet, by all accounts as determined by consumer survey reports, the successes of virtually all of Apples softwares, OS's and hardware, the Apple Store, iTunes and the iPhone, although there have been some glitches, doesn't appear to be the norm.

Yet, you experience otherwise. But then, we know that you are not the norm.

More importantly, you always seem to be at the head of the pack. A rabid infested pack at that.

Perhaps it is best you travel elsewhere. Let us know. We may just like to contribute to your new surroundings. At least, it is something that we can do for our fellow man.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    This is good news! I'm sitting here with my iMac with one pwr cable out the back and one usb cable to my iPhone. A wireless mighty mouse and wireless Apple keyboard.

My all-in-one Brother printer has a very small compact footprint and is wifi (no cables).

I will be getting the new wifi SD card for my camera so that will get rid of my USB cable for it. Next will be Time Capsule which will get rid of a pwr brick, a firewire cable and of course, the ext. HD itself, by combining the router and ext. HD.

Today, I'm buying the SL/iLife/iWork SW pack and a new 3Gs iPhone, the before mentioned wifi SD card and a pair of BT wireless headphones for running and working out (no wires on the headphones).

Gave of all my iPods (stands and usb cables) away now that the 3Gs has the Nike + system included.

Soon the iPhone will be able to update via wifi.

PS. Also have Parallels for the one PC App I have to run (Real Estate MLS) so I don't have to have a Windows PC with all it's wires and cables! Did I mention I hate cables, pwr bricks and wires.

PSS. I have AppleTV, no pwr brick, one HDMI cable and no DVD player next to my TV

Life is good!
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I am kinda feeling sorry for you. It seems that nothing from Apple works for you.

Yet, by all accounts as determined by consumer survey reports, the successes of virtually all of Apples softwares, OS's and hardware, the Apple Store, iTunes and the iPhone, although there have been some glitches, doesn't appear to be the norm.

Yet, you experience otherwise. But then, we know that you are not the norm.

More importantly, you always seem to be at the head of the pack. A rabid infested pack at that.

Perhaps it is best you travel elsewhere. Let us know. We may just like to contribute to your new surroundings. At least, it is something that we can do for our fellow man.

Spare me the "I Feel sorry for you" sentimentality. You mean to tell me that you haven't heard from anyone else here that there is a WiFi problem with the iPhone's 3.1 update? Are you blind or simply ignore posts here that have any problems with anything Apple?

My iPhone works splendidly for me- give or take a few things that is hasn't yet delivered.

But if something doesn't work- I certainly will bring it up rather than be comatosed in fanboy delusion as you and others certainly have been.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

This is good news! I'm sitting here with my iMac with one pwr cable out the back and one usb cable to my iPhone. A wireless mighty mouse and wireless Apple keyboard.

My all-in-one Brother printer has a very small compact footprint and is wifi (no cables).

I will be getting the new wifi SD card for my camera so that will get rid of my USB cable for it. Next will be Time Capsule which will get rid of a pwr brick, a firewire cable and of course, the ext. HD itself, by combining the router and ext. HD.

Today, I'm buying the SL/iLife/iWork SW pack and a new 3Gs iPhone, the before mentioned wifi SD card and a pair of BT wireless headphones for running and working out (no wires on the headphones).

Gave of all my iPods (stands and usb cables) away now that the 3Gs has the Nike + system included.

Soon the iPhone will be able to update via wifi.

PS. Also have Parallels for the one PC App I have to run (Real Estate MLS) so I don't have to have a Windows PC with all it's wires and cables! Did I mention I hate cables, pwr bricks and wires.

PSS. I have AppleTV, no pwr brick, one HDMI cable and no DVD player next to my TV

Life is good!

I'm glad it all works for you but isn't it rather early to be drinking Appletinis?
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Quote:

Spare me the "I Feel sorry for you" sentimentality. You mean to tell me that you haven't heard from anyone else here that there is a WiFi problem with the iPhone's 3.1 update? Are you blind or simply ignore posts here that have any problems with anything Apple?

My iPhone works splendidly for me- give or take a few things that is hasn't yet delivered.

But if something doesn't work- I certainly will bring it up rather than be comatosed in fanboy delusion as you and others certainly have been.

Now, now boys...be nice or you both will be moved to the opposite ends of the sandbox!
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:

I'm glad it all works for you but isn't it rather early to be drinking Appletinis?

It's the 'eco-system" But you are right, I'm hooked!
  • Reply 11 of 50
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Face it, tecknothing, your credibility is 0 on this forum. No one believes any of the drivel you spout. Your user name is laughable. You, like all of your ilk, latch onto a minority of anecdotal reports (from unamed and unverified sources) and present them as gospel and widespread. Then you sancimoniously pound away at them on this forum. Your motives are suspect. Your comptetency is suspect. You are to be ignored. Meanwhile, as your ilk also like to ignore, Apple's reputation for quality and customer satisfaction continues to tower above other tech companies providing similar services and products.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Face it, tecknothing, your credibility is 0 on this forum. No one believes any of the drivel you spout. Your user name is laughable. You, like all of your ilk, latch onto a minority of anecdotal reports (from unamed and unverified sources) and present them as gospel and widespread. Then you sancimoniously pound away at them on this forum. Your motives are suspect. Your comptetency is suspect. You are to be ignored. Meanwhile, as your ilk also like to ignore, Apple's reputation for quality and customer satisfaction continues to tower above other tech companies providing similar services and products.

Drivel ,drivel.

SO IGNORE ME and spare me your ridiculous analogies and fanbot paranoia mentality.

I have a good rapport with others on here - I could care less what you think.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    11 posts, and 7 of them involving teckstud. The usual hijacking of the thread has started up yet again.

Ugh. It has become such a chore, plowing thru this fellow's negativity (and the inveitable responses to it).

Moderators, please, can't you find a way to put a stop to this before this guy irredeemably risks your credibility? Can't one of you muster some cajones to have a serious chat with him?
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

It's the 'eco-system" But you are right, I'm hooked!

That's cool that you have such a streamlined system working like that for you actually. I have other needs musically and visually and with my system that requires more sophisticated equipment- not to put your set up down. Enjoy.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    This time I may know what teckstud is talking about. When I unlock the screen on my iPhone at home, it displays 3G first and quickly swaps to WiFi. Although I am not convinced that it is actually dropping the WiFi network given the speed that it reconnects. I think it might just be a reporting issue.

3G provides faster downloads than my ISP right now anyway

Edit: On second thought, I had a second wireless router running for a while with no internet access. Maybe my iPhone was connecting to that, finding no internet access and switching to 3G or to the network that actually had internet access.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Quote:

Next will be Time Capsule which will get rid of a pwr brick, a firewire cable and of course, the ext. HD itself, by combining the router and ext. HD.

I'm leery of TMs, seeing that many are dying a heat-death about 18 months old. I think I'll go with Airport Extreme + disk. AE has external power brick but it's off in a corner so I don't have to look at it.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Quote:

... I have a good rapport with others on here - I could care less what you think.

I'd like to see proof of this claim.

I've been here a long, long time (long before you bought your first Apple product), and other than an occasional laugh at your stupid one-liners, I've never seen any evidence that *anyone* likes or respects you or your opinions.

I'm not trying to be funny here. You've made a claim, just like any other claim about a product or anything else. You say people actually "have a rapport" with you? I call it a lie until you can provide some proof.

A "rapport" is a close and personal relationship that relies on communication, understanding, empathy and similar styles of thinking between the two individuals. Nothing personal teckdude, but you are *not* good at any of these things and IMO your thought patterns are (apparently), dissimilar to almost everyone else here.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    This sounds like interesting technology. I was just speaking with a friend the other day how it would be nice to have another "security questionable" technology to worry about that solves a problem that doesn't exist...and what do you know, we get one.

-kpluck
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I'd like to see proof of this claim.

I've been here a long, long time (long before you bought your first Apple product), and other than an occasional laugh at your stupid one-liners, I've never seen any evidence that *anyone* likes or respects you or your opinions.

I'm not trying to be funny here. You've made a claim, just like any other claim about a product or anything else. You say people actually "have a rapport" with you? I call it a lie until you can provide some proof.

A "rapport" is a close and personal relationship that relies on communication, understanding, empathy and similar styles of thinking between the two individuals. Nothing personal teckdude, but you are *not* good at any of these things and IMO your thought patterns are (apparently), dissimilar to almost everyone else here.

Stop derailing this thread and spare us your "definitions". I have no need to prove anything to you at all - ever.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    bucetabuceta Posts: 141member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

This sounds like interesting technology. I was just speaking with a friend the other day how it would be nice to have another "security questionable" technology to worry about that solves a problem that doesn't exist...and what do you know, we get one.

-kpluck

Problem that doesn't exist? No broadband service much for you?

The problem does exist and WiFi PtP is the future. More power to the people... and screw ATT and other carriers.