Mac sales grow 11.8% as Apple takes 9.4% U.S. market share

Comments

• Reply 121 of 168
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

OK..... yet another thread is getting teckstud-ed again.

See y'all in the next one (or when he goes to sleep or is at work; if he does either).

teckstud is the foil for many apple fans here

we should admit to ourselves that teckstud is very important to this site

the proof is right in front of our eyes

but your fantastic voice is even more important

your wit and timely posts are fun to read .

peace

• Reply 122 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Realistically, profits matter highly. If you read that Bloomberg report, you'll see that Acer themselves aren't happy about the situation.

But PC companies have gotten themselves stuck in this low price spiral, which is what it is.

The companies are concerned about netbooks, not because they don't know what to do with them, but because they see their customers abandoning more highly priced, and profitable machines.

Competition is good, but it has its bad side as well.

Consumers want lower prices, but they don't always understand the downside to lower pricing.

Netbooks have problems running any but the simplest programs. I can attest to that. The industry got themselves into a bind here. Netbooks were at first thought to be a solution for people who couldn't afford even the cheap $500 laptops that were already draining the companies profits.

But people who could afford the more expensive machines, and who would have bought them, are now buying netbooks. A lot of people aren't that happy with them, and have returned them, but most find them to be enough.

What I do find interesting is that the first netbooks almost all came with some version of linux. Netbooks were thought to be understood by those buying them to be mostly for running net related apps. But no. People wanted to run their regular apps.

So the Linux books went back in droves.

This was the best chance EVER for desktop (or laptop) Linux to gain a stronghold, and it failed big time.

Manufacturers REALLY wanted to sell Linux machines so that they wouldn't have to pay MS the $15 for the OS. Now, the 7 Starter equivalent will cost them almost $50, from what MS is saying.

How are they going to sell $200 to $400 machines when the OS is almost $50?

Apple will be coming out with somewhat less expensive machines soon. They don't have to match netbook pricing, or even come close. They just have to move down somewhat, and they will snare more people.

great post

what bothers me is the all this junk netbooks will clog our dumps even more with toxic waste

\\sadly the race to the bottom almost ensures that we now have throw away computers as part of our standard electronic fare

the $199 books are soon coming to CVS
  • Reply 123 of 168
    Quote:

You were listening to it?

He doesn't say much, does he? It's the same thing chairmen and CEOs say.

I did think it was interesting where he said that they didn't EXPECT revenues to decline this year. not that they will grow. Not that they would remain steady, but that he didn't EXPECT that they would decline.

Not exactly very certain, is he? Sort of a wishy washy comment.

He didn't even say that performance was good. He didn't say that he was happy with it.

ACER is selling cheap machines. They own Gateway, E-Machines, Packard Bell, and their own brand.

Operating margins are 2.2%. Yes, that's not a typo.

acer is a very good company

they will raise prices soon or fail

maybe they should copy what COBY does ?
  • Reply 124 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

For those who don't remember the 90s, Dell was once the PREMIUM PC maker, not the best place to find a cheap PC. Their ASPs were far higher than the rest of the industry, and 10 years ago it was THEM saying that they'd never sell a sub $1000 PC. Interesting?

remember M DELL saying that apple should close up shop ??
  • Reply 125 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I am I am- we love our apple prods. but I refuse to not call something that is selling and infiltrating every aspect of society a flop. Look at every kid going to school with a netbook. why aren't they lugging an Apple around, brucep? tell me- why?

your valid ponts don't connect my friend

maybe you come up to 47th st and 5th ave and i will burn you some acoustic hendrix

yes netbooks are here to stay >> so what

in fact i am happy poor families can get there kids any computer that they can

so net books are cool guess

but teckstud dude ask those same kids what computer they hunger after and they will say iphone touch all day

have a good day dude
  • Reply 126 of 168
    So really Apple's growth was really just the whole market bouncing back from recession this time last year, I love how Apple Insider paint this to be some kind of triumph ! Acer managed a rise of 24%

Really these are not great numbers for Apple, not bad certainly but not the never-ending growth in market share people were expecting, the real truth is without the iPod or the iPhone Apple's computer line would not be making them very much profit.
  • Reply 127 of 168
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

I don't know, it's (Toshiba) not growing that much.

Well it kind of is... really. Toshiba have doubled their share in a little over a year. Forty percent growth in a relatively flat PC market must have it's reasons.

Let's just say it's part of the massive swing away from the expandable, upgradeable, consumer tower .... and leave it at that.
  • Reply 128 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

acer is a very good company

they will raise prices soon or fail

maybe they should copy what COBY does ?

Yes brucep Acer will have to raise prices eventually if it wants to fall to 4th place.

Acer have risen very quickly by combining quality and low price, the proof is in their numbers and not your wishful thinking.

Netbooks may be going to poison your enviroment but here in europe all electronic equipment has to be recycled to we really don't have anything to worry about, If I were you I'd be worried about all those plastic macbooks soon to arrive at a landfill near you.
  • Reply 129 of 168
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fourthletter View Post

Yes brucep Acer will have to raise prices eventually if it wants to fall to 4th place.

Acer have risen very quickly by combining quality and low price, the proof is in their numbers and not your wishful thinking.

Netbooks may be going to poison your enviroment but here in europe all electronic equipment has to be recycled to we really don't have anything to worry about, If I were you I'd be worried about all those plastic macbooks soon to arrive at a landfill near you.

Junkbox makers trade top positions regularly. Flooding the market with high-volume, cheap products often results in share increases. Question is, what portion of the market. All of these generic-PC makers are fighting for the low end. Which is in itself not a problem. There's certainly a market for low-cost, disposable merchandise. But some of us don't want to be a part of that, and certain companies don't want to be a part of that, either.
  • Reply 130 of 168
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

your valid ponts don't connect my friend

maybe you come up to 47th st and 5th ave and i will burn you some acoustic hendrix

yes netbooks are here to stay >> so what

in fact i am happy poor families can get there kids any computer that they can

so net books are cool guess

but teckstud dude ask those same kids what computer they hunger after and they will say iphone touch all day

have a good day dude

I think you BOTH have a good point here.

It would be nice to see Apple sell a lower priced netbook to compete with that market. BUT I don't think they will. The profit margins for the netbooks are lower then what Apple is used to having.

BUT now brucep you have to be careful with your analogy and the consumer market.

Those kids with netbooks might want a Macbook or MBA but the BOUGHT a netbook becuse that's what they could afford. Consumers might want a Corvette but buy a Malibu. They might want a 400k house but but a 200k house. But they are still buying something.

No matter how much money or no matter how many things you have you always want for something you can't quite afford or get just yet....Thats human nature.....
  • Reply 131 of 168
    delete
  • Reply 132 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Sure, almost as spectacular as "no glass"

Apple is relaxed about these things. Remove Firewire from MacBooks, bring it back a few months later and call it a new "pro" feature... wouldn't work for anybody else, but Apple gets away with it.

The non-firewire Macbook aluminum cost $100 more than the current firewire-equipped Macbook Pro ($1299 vs $1199), so I'm not sure what you've got your panties in a bunch about. The new 13 inch Macbook Pro is called a Pro to differentiate it from the plastic Macbook that still sells well.

You basically had about 6 months or something like that where the aluminum Macbooks didn't have firewire, cry me a river.
  • Reply 133 of 168
    Quote:

That's absurd.

Even Michael Dell just said in a speech that netbooks were ruining the industry.

There's almost no profit in them, and PC manufacturers are frantic about what to do about it.

What do I care, as a consumer, if there's little profit for a company or the other? I want the best possible product for the least possible price.
  • Reply 134 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ediedi View Post

What do I care, as a consumer, if there's little profit for a company or the other? I want the best possible product for the least possible price.

Those two don't often go together. That's the whole point.
  • Reply 135 of 168
    Do these #'s count Netbooks??

What is the breakdown by pc revenue??

Nice to see apple gaining units at any rate.
  • Reply 136 of 168
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Go Apple! Eat up that market share! Get Microsoft working harder!

I love this shit
  • Reply 137 of 168
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I want to know that Dell is losing markershare, that HP is holding ground and that a couple others selling many more Budget machines that before. I don't want this simple chart you propae to actually show a slight loss in overall PC sales marketshare because Apple jumped a percentage. It's disengenuois.

I really don't know where you are going with this one solipsism.

These figures come out four times a year and always contain the same amount of (somewhat limited) info. The tech and business press always use this data to write about the current computer business 'state of the nation'. And, frequently, a lot of these publications are going to take a closer look at how Apple is doing compared to.... ALL it's competitors... not just

singling out... one.

Perhaps I'm just missing your point.
  • Reply 138 of 168
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

It isn't just hardware sales. Why do you want to break it down that way? hat doesn't make any more sense.

Apple isn't really competing against any one PC hardware maker, though it may seem as though it is. They're competing against Microsoft and Windows.

It's interesting to look at individual makers, and compare the result, but it's not as meaningful as you think.

If Acer wasn't selling netbooks, and they again became a smaller company, would that make a difference to Apple if Dell gained the same amount Acer lost? Of course not. Apple would be in the same spot marketsharewise. The fact that they would move to number three is irrelevant.

I'm not saying that it isn't interesting to see how the other makers are doing. I do that myself. I don't understand how you say that seeing that Apple moved up a percent in marketshare is disingenuous. I'm not proposing a simplified chart at all. I'm just saying that with a different OS, it has to be looked at differently.

I don't remember saying anywhere that Apple had a 40% marketshare. Where did you get that?

I did say several things. One was that the iPhone now has a 30% marketshare in the US.

I said that within the past 100 days or so Apple laptops have garnered a 25% share of consumer sales, and I extrapolated from that, that it's possible that their desktops could have added another 10% to that.

That's not a 40% marketshare. It's not even a 35% marketshare. That's the numbers given for CONSUMER sales. Take business and government into account, and you get almost a 10% marketshare.

Yes, I mentioned that.

If you use parallels, and now with ver 3, possibly VMWare, the entire PC can be transported over. Of course, upgrading from XP to 7 is still a b***h.

You had an exampleOn the first page for Marvin regarding 30%, not 40%, that is the figure I used for my example. What if Apple had a 30% markershare on Macs? The Teckstudian mind would whine, "Apple sux, Windows has 70%!", but an intelligent person would see that Apple would be the largest PC retailer in the world, would be selling 8-10x more product than they do now and that this achievement would come mostly at the hands of the other big box vendors. One would also see that Apple's current 33 cents per dollar of PC sales in the US would increase even farther. Despite the fact that this mythical achievement can't be done under the current business model, if it were to be, then Apple would be getting about 70 cents per dollar of every PC sold. Why even mention the OS? Especially now in 2009 when the OS is mostly now a preference in the consumer market, not a requirement? Why look at any HW sales just flip it on it's head to measure what is inconsequential to the HW sale. MS will sell a lit of Win7. There is nothig wrong with that, but it doesn't make an HP or Mac sale any more or less valid. It's a pointless metric when looking at the HW.
  • Reply 139 of 168
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

I really don't know where you are going with this one solipsism.

These figures come out four times a year and always contain the same amount of (somewhat limited) info. The tech and business press always use this data to write about the current computer business 'state of the nation'. And, frequently, a lot of these publications are going to take a closer look at how Apple is doing compared to.... ALL it's competitors... not just

singling out... one.

Perhaps I'm just missing your point.

My point is that I want to keep seeing these company's broken down ad they are in the chart. I was responded to in. This forum that these individual companies success and failures in the PC HW sales are pointless. That they he lumped into a big group of Windows vs. OS X based on their OS business the non-Mac PC companies can easily swap customers around that are using the same OS. This I find disengenuous and it does nothing to assist me in seeing which of these companies are growing and which are shrinking.
  • Reply 140 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maximara View Post

To be fair to the Windows market the old adage 'when you are at the top there is only one way to go--down' certainly applies. Past a certain point marketshare growth is impossible and then you have the problem of working like crazy just to keep what you have. While not definitive take a look at marketshare's numbers and note the tend is to Windows losing marketshare not gaining it.

Sure you may get a blip where Windows marketshare goes up compared to the previous month but the trend is definitely down over the long haul.

Fair point, but I was talking about unit sales, not market share. If the Mac grows market share by 1%, that 1% has to come out of the Windows market share. That much we know. The point I was making is that PC unit sales have been increasing at low single digit rates for several years now, while Mac unit sales have been increasing at double-digit rates. The difference is quite dramatic.