Apple plans Mac marketing blitz around Windows 7 launch

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple plans to counter the upcoming release of Windows 7 with advertisements that will lambaste the upgrade process from Windows XP, and portray Macs as more secure.

According to BusinessWeek, Apple will launch ads in response to the debut of Microsoft's latest operating system, due on Oct 22. The spots are expected to criticize Windows and portray the Mac as a superior platform. Apple views the launch as an opportunity to lure Windows users to the Mac.

"It will likely make the case that Macs are less susceptible to viruses and are best suited to its popular iPods and and iPhones," the report said. "And look for it to poke fun at Microsoft for making XP owners go through an arduous process to upgrade to Windows 7 -- one that includes backing up all their files to an external drive, reformatting their PC, and then reinstalling all of their old programs, assuming they still have the CDs."

Phil Schiller, Apple's senior vice president for Worldwide Product Marketing, said the impending launch of Windows 7 presents a "good opportunity" for the Mac maker to make market share gains. He said the upgrade process from Windows XP to Windows 7 in particular is one that consumers will likely find unpleasant.

"Any user that reads all those steps is probably going to freak out," Schiller said. "If you have to go through all that, why not just buy a Mac?"

Analysts have predicted that the launch of Windows 7 will not have a major impact on Mac sales. In fact, history would suggest that the debut of a new Microsoft operating system has a positive effect on Apple's computer sales. Over the last 10 years, Mac sales have spiked following the debut of Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Windows 7 has earned rave reviews from some, including known Apple advocate Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal. The technology columnist said that the latest operating system from Apple's rival to the north has narrowed the gap between Windows and Mac OS X.

But Apple also recently launched its own operating system upgrade in the form of Mac OS X 10.6. The $29 Snow Leopard debuted on Aug. 28 and got off to a swift sales start doubling that of its predecessor, Leopard, and performing four times better than Tiger. Apple's new operating system was also met positively by reviewers.

Schiller said the adoption of new versions of Mac OS X shows Apple's momentum in the PC market. Both Windows Vista and Leopard were released at the same time, and more than 70 percent of Mac users made the upgrade, while less than 20 percent of those on Windows made the jump to Vista.

"I expect Snow Leopard will have an amazing upgrade rate," he told BusinessWeek, "and Windows 7 won't."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 168
    People who are still using XP because Vista did not meet expectations, seem to be hindered and process for upgrade reads very long and tedious, unless their plan to pay a new system. I am so glad I use a Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 168
    "Windows 7 has earned rave reviews from some, including known Apple advocate Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal."

Uh, huh. Right. Let's all not forget that Uncle Walt ALSO--ALSO!--raved about Vista! And how did THAT work out for him and the Journal? Credibility gap, anyone?
  • Reply 3 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

"Windows 7 has earned rave reviews from some, including known Apple advocate Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal."

Uh, huh. Right. Let's all not forget that Uncle Walt ALSO--ALSO!--raved about Vista! And how did THAT work out for him and the Journal? Credibility gap, anyone?

hehe, i didn't know this.
  • Reply 4 of 168
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Well good. I should hope so. That would be the thing to do if you had a marketing dept.
  • Reply 5 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

People who are still using XP because Vista did not meet expectations, seem to be hindered and process for upgrade reads very long and tedious, unless their plan to pay a new system.

Almost no Windows user upgrades. They buy hardware based on price and use whatever version of Windows that it comes with, until it's time to buy a new computer. The upgrade process is irrelevant.
  • Reply 6 of 168
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Please provide a link for this.
  • Reply 7 of 168
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Well good. I should hope so. That would be the thing to do if you had a marketing dept.

and new iMacs, Mac Minis, Mac Pros and MacBooks on the market.

Or are they never going to release them?
  • Reply 8 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

Almost no Windows user upgrades. They buy hardware based on price and use whatever version of Windows that it comes with, until it's time to buy a new computer. The upgrade process is irrelevant.

True that.
  • Reply 9 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Probably on Oct 20 to steal Microsoft's THUNDER!
  • Reply 10 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why - is it that good?
  • Reply 11 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Please provide a link for this.

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20070118...hy-unexciting/

And to boot, you only need to read the sub headline.
  • Reply 12 of 168
    Meanwhile I still can't print since installing SL.

I know , I know it's Epson's fault.
  • Reply 13 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20070118...hy-unexciting/

And to boot, you only need to read the first paragraph.

And the title of the article reads:

Quote:

XP Successor Doesn’t Break New Ground on Ease of Use, But It’s Best Windows Yet

followed by:
    Quote:

what’s left is a worthy, but largely unexciting, product.

And that's a rave? AS Billl Clinton said- GIVE ME A BREAK!

Good try- but FAIL!
  • Reply 14 of 168
    Where's my new iMac?
  • Reply 15 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And the title of the article reads:

followed by:

And that's a rave? AS Billl Clinton said- GIVE ME A BREAK!

Good try- but FAIL!

The sub headline says it's the best Windows version yet. Do you agree with that rave?
  • Reply 16 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Well, if the rumors about these are at all true, it's hard to imagine them not having a media event to introduce them, which would mean they are probably still at least a week out.
  • Reply 17 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

The sub headline says it's the best Windows version yet. Do you agree with that rave?

That's not a rave.

This is:

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20091007...lp-you-forget/

Don't forget to watch the video.
  • Reply 18 of 168
    Quote:

Stop dragging this out as it is NOT true. He said it was the best windows product yet - but he did not rave about it. Far from it. He called it uninteresting - not quite a rave.

Now the Windows 7 review is actually quite different. He actually says it has caught up in many ways with OSX and indeed in some cases (not all) surpasses it.

This is good news people - Apple needs to be pushed.
  • Reply 19 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shintocam View Post

Stop dragging this out as it is NOT true. He said it was the best windows product yet - but he did not rave about it. Far from it. He called it uninteresting - not quite a rave.

Now the Windows 7 review is actually quite different. He actually says it has caught up in many ways with OSX and indeed in some cases (not all) surpasses it.

This is good news people - Apple needs to be pushed.

I agree- this instant MS bashing and spining on here is annoying. I want to see Apple pushed as well now that there appears to be real competition.
  • Reply 20 of 168
    I have been using Windows 7 for over a year since the early 6801 builds up to the current 7600 build and it is by far the best Windows version yet. Of course once 8 comes out, some will say the same thing, and so on and so on up until Windows Whatever. It runs very well and rock solid. Snow Leopard on the other hand has it's fair share of problems. Apple will easily correct these problems and get it right on track in a few short weeks with .2 hopefully. They both are good, powerful operating systems and can co-exist together. I use them both and I wish they each had some things that the other offers. One glaring example is the ability to use different backgrounds on each monitor in Windows. Why is that not possible Micro$oft?